News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 30K Horus Heresy: Betrayal at Calth  (Read 3619 times)

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: 30K Horus Heresy: Betrayal at Calth
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2015, 09:09:07 AM »
Forge World has beaten them to it. Check out this You Tube Video on Warhammer TV.

Looks quite good actually but I personally do not like watching instructional videos that includes mistakes in the game play.
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline Slick Samos

• Que!!
  • Armies: Tau, Dark Angels & Salamanders
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2015, 06:28:10 PM »
I enjoyed the Forge World video and I have to say that this board game looks really good, I'm very tempted to pick up some extra boards from eBay when people who are just in for the miniatures sell theirs...

I do hope they'll bring out expansions for it.  Perhaps more Marines or even Xeno.  I suspect Nids would be a cool one to do as they like caves and stuff.  Or how about Necrons climbing out of the catacombs? 

Hopefully they'll carry on with this format as it's much more accessible than regular 40k, never mind 30k!

Slick Samos
Play more games, paint more models...

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2015, 07:22:11 PM »
Perhaps more Marines or even Xeno.  I suspect Nids would be a cool one to do as they like caves and stuff.  Or how about Necrons climbing out of the catacombs? 

Slick Samos

I am no expert Slick but 30K takes place 10,000 years before 40K so I don't think that the appearance of any xenos is likely. 30K aka the Horus Heresy is purely Marine on Marine action.
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"

Offline Slick Samos

• Que!!
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2015, 08:05:09 PM »
Well the focus is on Marines but the Xeno were still there.  The Great Crusade was against the Xeno.  The Word Bearers and Ultramarines were assembling together at Calth (under the guise of) killing orks for example...

I'm genuinely hoping that they'll release an expansion for it, be it other chapters, daemons or xeno. 

Also I've just looked on eBay, it's currently less than £8 for a game that I can play with my current miniatures (well if I paint some of my unpainted ones up a different colour...)

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2015, 10:41:43 PM »
You can definitely say that there will be no Tyranids, as they didn't show up until the 41st millenium; and Tau, at the time of the Heresy, were not on the galactic stage yet.  Everything else is pretty much free game.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2015, 01:55:11 PM »
That being the case then I agree with Slick I too would like to see Calth expand so as to include more races and missions. I suppose it's up to FW/GW now and whether or not they intend Calth to be a just a gateway into 30K or if it is to be an ongoing game.

Edit
Also I've just looked on eBay, it's currently less than £8 for a game that I can play with my current miniatures (well if I paint some of my unpainted ones up a different colour...)

You know what Slick you are right. I really like the look of the game but don't fancy paying £95 for it. I can't find the £8 deals you mention but I could get the game minus the figures for £11. The only Terminators I have got are the ones from Black Reach though.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 10:50:32 AM by Alienscar »

Offline Slick Samos

• Que!!
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2015, 12:54:36 PM »
Well here a two different £8 links...  (disclaimer I'm not recommending either)

Warhammer Space Marines Horus Heresy Betrayal at Calth Board Cards Rules Dice |

Warhammer 30k Space Marines Horus Heresy Betrayal at Calth *NO FIGURES* | eBay

I've ordered from one of them so looking forward to seeing how it works.

Model wise...
The 'good' side:
1 Hero (ideally Terminator armour)
1 5 man Terminator Squad including Sergeant and Heavy Flamer
1 10 man Tactical / Veteran Squad including Sergeant, Special (Flamer, Melta or Plasma) and Heavy Weapons (Missile Launcher or Heavy Bolter)

The 'bad' side:
1 Hero (ideally Chaplain style)
2 * 10 man Tactical / Veteran Squads as above
1 Dreadnought (ideally Multi-Melta or Assault Cannon)

Now from what I'm reading you kinda choose what your Sergeants and Terminators are equipped with, and it's your choice of Special and Heavy weapons in the Tactical / Veteran Squads. 

So the Dark Angels from Dark Vengeance give you all of the 'good' side, if you count the Company Master (Captain) as your Hero in Terminator Armour, the Plasma Cannon as a Missile Launcher and your Assault Cannon armed Terminator as a Heavy Flamer instead!  Similarly with Assault on Black Reach.

The Chaos Marines from Dark Vengeance nets you your Hero, Dreadnought and 4(!) Sergeants (you only need two but they're all equipped differently) and 2 Tactical Marines, so you'll need to buy 2 boxes of generic Chaos Space Marines.  And amusingly you could instead use Assault on Black Reach to give you the bulk of your 'bad' side, as it contains your Hero, Dreadnought and a 10 man Tactical Squad, all you need is 1 box of 10 Marines.

Given that I've got both...  I feel I'm onto a winner :P