News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Coming back, Confused and worried...  (Read 2203 times)

Offline Blindmage

• Ork Yoof
  • Armies: The Ripper Horde, Kroot anything, rarely Necrons
Coming back, Confused and worried...
« on: August 6, 2012, 02:26:00 AM »
Hi all!

Been away for a good year or so due to health and other stuff. I'm thinking of getting back into 40k (pretty much just the Rippers, gonna sell off the rest, taking up too much room). I've heard that there's a new edition out already.

I haven't had a chance to read it yet. Anyone know if the Ripper Horde will still be a viable (well, as viable as it used to be) list at all?

I've heard that they can't score, but can they still contest?

Even in 5th they couldn't score. I used them to contest and draw games. I was hoping that the tactic would still be viable.

The list has never had any scoring potential. It was all about area/objective denial and contesting.

It's the alternate style of play. Going for the draw from the beginning of the game lets me pass up obvious avenues of advance to try and lock up my opponent. Also the odd list factor throwing them for their normal play style.

Here's a link to my last 2,000 point list thread:

The Ripper Horde at 2,000pnts!!

Offline GaleRazorwind

• Hormagaunt
  • Ziltoid Lives!
  • Armies: Nids, BA, CSM
Re: Coming back, Confused and worried...
« Reply #1 on: August 6, 2012, 08:25:10 PM »
Unfortunately, swarms are neither scoring nor denial units, so they can't even contest objectives anymore.
Ziltoid is so omniscient, if there were to be two omnisciences, he would be both!

Offline Blindmage

• Ork Yoof
« Reply #2 on: August 6, 2012, 08:31:00 PM »
awww!

Well, there goes a few years of collecting Rippers :( Now what am I gonna do?

The only nid models I have are the Paratise, 10 rippergaunts (converted hormies) and roughly 100 rippers.... *pout*

Offline Guildmage Aech

• FLAMER: Ego Bigger than his Common Sense Centre | 40KO's Care Bear of Spite | Dolphin Death Dealer | 40K Oracle
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
« Reply #3 on: August 6, 2012, 08:59:50 PM »
You can still win if you kill every enemy model on the table... I'm not sure what you'd do about airplanes and heavy vehicles thou
Rules Expert 2007 | Kijayle Commemorative Award for Acid Wit 2008 | Most Notoriously Valuable Rules Expert 2009 | Most Notorious 2014

Offline Blindmage

• Ork Yoof
« Reply #4 on: August 6, 2012, 11:34:40 PM »
Well, I'll probably give it a shot.

If I get first blood, kill their warloard and....something, that should give me 3 victory points, and if I focus on eliminating their scoring units...I should be ok...i hope.

If all else fails, I'll start playing my CyberGrotz list (assuming it still works).

Offline Blindmage

• Ork Yoof
« Reply #5 on: August 7, 2012, 05:26:25 AM »
I guess my dream of a true End Stage force of Rippers devouring the world, lead by The Parasite and a Malanthrope with a full set of Hive Guard protecting the towers and a random fex's to crush any little bit of resistance is gone for good. :(

It sucks, you can pretty much run any stage of invasion except for the End Stage...that's always been my favorite.

The fluff for the list:

Sliver fleet Disorder

Disorder is the remains of a splinter fleet that had almost finished consuming a world when it was hit with an Exterminatus. As noted on the world of Tethris and Araidne V, some things can survive by burrowing, namely Carnifex's, due to their massive resilience, and Rippers, due to their sheer number, some survive.

Disorder is a shattered bearly coherant mass of flesh, directed, not necessarily controlled, by the new found leader the Parasite and the sole surviving Malanthrope. The swarms of massively enhanced Rippers, both crawling and winged horde forward unloading torrents of fire as a new threat rears its head. A new form of Ripper, larger and far more potent in combat, this new threat seems to be this fleet's version of the Hormagaunt.

The few remaining Carnifexes have begun to shrug off the massive injuries suffered in the bobmardment and have begun rampaging the desolate world, slamming into the combats they encounter, having evolved to survive the harsh conditions that exist in a post exterminatus world, their reinforced carapaces aid their survival as they belch bioplasma at thier foes while their scything talons rip apart the enemy.

Offline Halollet

• My halo grew a mullet...
  • Armies: Grey Knights, Guard, Sisters, Tau, & Tyranids
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2012, 01:53:15 PM »
Use tervigons.  One as an hq and another as a troop choice.  Yes this will mean only 4 units of rippers but it might make your army playable.  And they are still fluffy.  Tervigons are actually tougher then fexes so they could surive as well.  As the rippers brought back bio matter the tervigons ate it to start making more termagaunts.

This way your army is all about a nid army rebuilding.  Its actually kinda scary.  You army will be increasing in size as you play it between the tervigons and the parasite. *shudders*
One sure mark of a fool is to dismiss anything that falls outside of his experience as being impossible.

Offline Blindmage

• Ork Yoof
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2012, 04:14:03 PM »
I've also realized that rippers on Overwatch can be amazing. the sheer number of shot I'm pumping out, in addition to the shooting I do when I DS the broods...it could be pretty ridiculous! If I kill them all (or just their troops) I'm good!