News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Tau Farsight Enclave supplement Discussion  (Read 3995 times)

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
Tau Farsight Enclave supplement Discussion
« on: July 14, 2013, 09:41:28 PM »
This is good news for us, if a little belated since the Codex has been out for a while now. Some detail on how the Enclaves operate and relate to the Empire proper has been long in the wait so I'm hoping that the supplement is long on fluff and short on rules changes. A new army list to be sure yet little detail really needs to be added there as most everything may be directed back to the codex itself for description and stats.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Benis

• 77 Shades Of Decay | Lazerous Penguin | Death to the Emperor with a Pulse!
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Getkilling
Re: Tau Farsight Enclave supplement Discussion
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 10:54:47 AM »
I tend to agree, we do not need a load of new wargear or similar items, in this case a load of background will be sure to be interesting enough in my opinion. Sure, one gizmo or two will be nice with a little FoC-changing but beyond that give me moar background and pretty pictures!

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 12:27:03 AM »
I ordered an electronic copy which becomes live this weekend. I'll offer a few words afterwards whether this is HOLY amphetamine parrot CHRIST or "meh" for those who wish to wait before spending their monies.
Drink
Knights Tippler

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Shas'La robo

• For the Greater GOOD!!... and the Emperor
  • Armies: Imperial Guard, Tau
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 02:07:00 AM »
You sir, are a Scholar and a Gentleman!

Looking forward to a detailed and in depth (at least 10,000 words) look at the changes this supplement will introduce.  :P

robo
hug cover, shoot the big ones, and cripple the fast ones. if those cant be achieved, kill em all.  8)

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 07:57:35 AM »
I tend to agree, we do not need a load of new wargear or similar items, in this case a load of background will be sure to be interesting enough in my opinion. Sure, one gizmo or two will be nice with a little FoC-changing but beyond that give me moar background and pretty pictures!

I'll back you up on the pretty pictures, but if the background is anything like the background GW has been writing for the past couple years, I'll pass. It's just a laundry list of battles, predictably constructed, which involves 'boom-boom, pew, pew' and little else interesting. I miss the dramatic scenes and little fiction excerpts from the old codexes, sadly now all but extinct.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 11:02:37 AM by Wyddr, Evil Space Marine »

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 09:56:42 PM »
Being that there's in the manner of jack amphetamine parrot when it comes to prior Farsight material we're protected in one way against recycled fluff material. Three pages would do that. However, yes, I know what you mean it when it comes to paragraph sized battle reports where an enemy is crushed on the battlefield for ::reasons::.
Drink
Knights Tippler

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2013, 08:56:04 AM »
Being that there's in the manner of jack amphetamine parrot when it comes to prior Farsight material we're protected in one way against recycled fluff material. Three pages would do that. However, yes, I know what you mean it when it comes to paragraph sized battle reports where an enemy is crushed on the battlefield for ::reasons::.

Yeah, I kinda expect it to be 'then there was *this* battle, and there were many explosions. Then there was *this* battle, wherein there were even *more* explosions which led Farsight to decide to use even better explosions in the future to defeat the forces of Explosia.'

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2013, 09:31:49 PM »
***Spoilers***

Holy beslubber sticks there's a lot of fluff. On first read through I really enjoyed it. Farsight is now much more sympathetic as to his destiny/plight and they narrowed down a lot of the OMG, what happened! bullamphetamine parrot. Amusingly, the plot behind some of Dawn of War II was actually conducted by Farsight and team (they poison Tyranid bioships they were feeding off  their world).  :D Yes, there's some dodgy battle bullamphetamine parrot in places (theatre wide FAE fuelled by planes dumping their tanks then ignited by a plasma shot  :o )but generally it wasn't so bad.

Farsight's longevity is directly answered which, while creepy, is reasonable (it's the sword). The Enclave still has supporters in the Empire so they've been fed technologies at times (can use Riptides for example) while also having developed a few of their own. The Enclaves are surprisingly tolerant. For example, there are rules for Earth caste pilots for battlesuits.

We have The Eight, Farsight and seven varied companions.  One of whom is basically an AI version of their departed selves, one an Earth caste pilot, a Dreadnought eqv pilot, a young upstart from the Empire, and Brightsword. Brightsword is a Dread Pirate Roberts hence a lineage rather than an individual. Something we suspected of Farsight himself at one point.

In summary - I liked it. Probably going to buy a hardcopy in October as well.
Drink
Knights Tippler

Offline Benis

• 77 Shades Of Decay | Lazerous Penguin | Death to the Emperor with a Pulse!
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Getkilling
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2013, 12:08:38 PM »
Sounds like a good read then, looking forward to the release. How was the rules, inconsequential, over the top or just right?

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2013, 01:01:42 PM »
A few goodies in the rules, such as a drone type that could be useful tactically but not in the dakka dakka sense. Few restrictions, other than the most obvious ones. Fielding the Eight is a massive points sink but they sure look cool on paper.
Drink
Knights Tippler

Offline The Unseenly Invincible

• Without laughter there is no slaughter
  • Armies: Nonimperial guardthings, and some blue communists
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2013, 01:57:40 AM »
Rules wise, I have to say I'm rather disappointed. Apart from the fact that Crisis Suits get a FOC chart move to you-know-where and the Earth Caste Pilot Array, all I was saying was yuck at the rules. The fact that you have to make all of your foot units more expensive (not by much, but still), the fact that the warlord traits are so much worse than the Codex ones, and all of that shazz... I thought it would be better. At least the fluff was nice.

Note here: Codex: Tau can take Farsight Enclaves as a allied detachment and vise versa, yes?
Always absent from school... | Tzeentch's Teddybear | Making Guardsmen aerodynamic since 2003! | Yes, it will hurt. No, I don't care | In Soviet Russia Guardsman kills you

Offline Manny-Kun

• Ill just snoop around here....
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2013, 09:29:43 PM »

Note here: Codex: Tau can take Farsight Enclaves as a allied detachment and vise versa, yes?

the farsight enclave says they and tau empire are considered battle brothers. so technically you can field 5 riptides, that will be quite a sight

my 2 cents, I found farsight enclaves to be, well, overall disappointing. the cute thing its geared to having much more crisis suits out there than ever which id like to see someone do. I wonder how effective it would be
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 11:43:10 PM by Manny-Kun »
Am i posting my threads in the right place? because i get often confused... :-/