News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Eldar Corsairs, Pre-Heresy Dark Angels + World Eaters  (Read 330668 times)

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: Eldar Corsairs, Pre-Heresy Dark Angels + World Eaters
« Reply #1860 on: June 17, 2018, 05:42:53 PM »
They Look great Cav, it was a such a good idea for GW to do another run of those models, nice how you did minor differences on each venom too.

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #1861 on: June 18, 2018, 05:40:31 PM »
Hey Cav, great update as always buddy.

I like the new Bonesinger that you've done. That said, I feel as thought the robes aren't quite up to your usual high standards. They're nice and all, but the highlights seem a little more slapdash than we've come to expect from you. On the other hand, I love the introduction of the Coelia Greenshade to the helm. It's a nice twist to the standard grey/white that you do, so I really like it.

That game against the Ad Mech sounded crazy cool! Really knife-edge stuff all the way. Great game and thank you for giving us the highlights.

Last but certainly not least is one of my commission projects won best painted at the Louisville Slugga Grand Touranment! It was a 40 person event judged by an independent painting judge so I'm really stoked about it. The client wrote in to FLG just to thank me for my work, so I'm really happy. Not only that but the army she was featured in was really cool and fluffy. Check it out!

On one hand...Congratulati ons Cav! That's a really cool honour!

On the other hand...how the hell does your customer have the gall to accept a Best Painted prize for Something he didn't bloody paint It really is beyond belief if you ask me and it belittles the time and effort that other people at that competition put in. It really makes me quite angry.

So yeah, well done Cav...please ask your customers not to be douchebags and take somebody else's glory.

/end rant

Another cool update Cav, thanks for showing it all off!
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #1862 on: June 22, 2018, 01:30:50 PM »
@SeekingOne- Really means a lot coming from you man, so thanks so much I truly appreciate it. Really glad you like the Succubus and Incubi, cause I'm really stoked on that stuff myself. The new twist I put on those models has has really got me excited about a bunch of new projects I've got upcoming, so thanks. Anyway man thanks again for the high praise man I really appreciate it, it keeps those hobby inspiration burning bright!

@Magenb- Thanks Mage appreciate it man. Glad you like him!

@Looshkin- Hey bud sorry you aren't into the Bonesinger. Maybe its just the photos (my camera makes all my red highlights disappear) but I'm super happy with those robes. My other painting buddies were really high on them, but hey to each their own! Also about that client, he's actually a super awesome guy. He mailed me the actual award which is made out of actual metal, with a glass frame and everything. He thanked my boss via email and wrote me an actual letter thanking me for my work so he couldn't be a more awesome guy. To be honest it was really one of the nicest things anyones done for me in the hobby.

@Everybody- So guys I just got my first order of Harlies in, picked up the codex and am ready to get started. Except that my plans are all changing! I've been reading some articles and my thinking has really changed.... luckily the first order is an absolute must for what I have planned but I got a lotta thinking to do before I place that next order. Luckily I'll have a few weeks to do so. Anyway I'll be back soon with an update. Got some cool stuff to share. Talk soon and stay tuned!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #1863 on: June 24, 2018, 12:53:27 PM »
@Looshkin- Hey bud sorry you aren't into the Bonesinger. Maybe its just the photos (my camera makes all my red highlights disappear) but I'm super happy with those robes. My other painting buddies were really high on them, but hey to each their own!

I'm sure that's a part of it. Don't get me wrong, Cav, I still love the Bonesinger, it's just that I think in one or 2 spots, the highlights are a little sharp for what is a fabric. As you say, each to his own...I think it's the curse of being measured by your own, stratospherically high  standards.

Also about that client, he's actually a super awesome guy. He mailed me the actual award which is made out of actual metal, with a glass frame and everything. He thanked my boss via email and wrote me an actual letter thanking me for my work so he couldn't be a more awesome guy. To be honest it was really one of the nicest things anyones done for me in the hobby.

I'm really pleased that he did all that, Cav. I think it's great that you got the award and that he told your boss. It is a classy thing to do.

I just think that it's super-not-cool that the models were even allowed to be in the competition at all. He didn't paint them. Think about the guy that slaves away for months to put together an army and paint it...and then they get beaten to a beast painted award by a guy that paid a commission painter a bunch of money. I just don't think it's sporting at all.

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #1864 on: July 16, 2018, 06:09:41 AM »
Hell yeah Bonesinger :) I've still got to paint up mine (I've got an idea that my craftworld is lead by a council of Farseer, Autarch and Bonesinger).

Might actually end up as one of the few non-converted models in my army I like it so much...
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #1865 on: August 1, 2018, 11:34:57 AM »
Hey guys long time no see. As you may have heard I got a trio of arm injuries that sidelined me really bad. For 3 weeks I couldn’t work, couldn’t use the computer and still cant go to the gym. Luckily I’m feeling a lot better and have gotten back to work. I wont lie, for someone whose battled chronic injuries for over 10 years now, it was very scary. I had numbness in my fingers, my hands were shaking, I had constant pain in both arms. Luckily thats all gone away (except a bit of pain) but  I’m still in physical therapy.

Anyway so I’ve continued work on a number of projects most notably my Harlequins! I’m really enjoying the challenge and though I’ve missed almost 2 months I still plan on doing my best to get as much painted as possible.

Here is my Troupe Master!

Here is my new Klaivex. This guy was a trial run just to see how I could manage the pain once I got the go-ahead from my doctor to go back to work. Real happy with how he came out. I'm gonna go back and repaint my Incubi and put there proper helmets on after the Harlie project. Gonna repaint my Wraithguard and Blades too.

Alright guys hope you enjoy the update. I'm looking forward to checking out your projects and see everything you guys have been up to. My updates wont be as frequent due to the arm injuries but I'll definitley be popping in on the regular. Anyway talk soon guys

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #1866 on: August 1, 2018, 05:34:41 PM »
Good to hear that you're on the mend mate. The gold trim on the Harlies masks is a really nice touch, so was pushing the colour scheme to the clasps on the jacket :)

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #1867 on: August 1, 2018, 08:46:32 PM »
:O, didn't know you had injured yourself, Cav, but I'm gladdened to see you back and that you are on the mend. Thought you had left us for a little while ;). Excellent scheme on the Harlequins... if I ever wanted a Harlequin force, you'd be the man I'd hit up definitely (Cause I know me painting them would be a train wreck :P). Also loving that Klaivex! The shade of red on that Incubi and the Harlequins is so lush and vibrant, really draws you in. :D
JohnMaloneBooks website - Blog #3 - From Novella to Novel

- 5/5 Reader's Favorite Review!

A Sanctum of Swords: Embers Edition is coming soon w/ audiobook!

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #1868 on: August 1, 2018, 10:23:52 PM »
Awesome work Cav. When I saw you post the incubi on Facebook and you mentioned that you were going to swap the heads, I totally thought you're actually going to do it - GUN HATS!

All kidding aside (although gun hats would be awesome, I picture kind of like mandiblasters) those paint jobs are freaking out of this world. Keep up the great work!

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #1869 on: August 2, 2018, 07:49:28 AM »
Holy smokes, sorry to hear about your injury. I was wondering where you had been off too. I'm happy you're recovering though, both arms being messed up sounds like a bundle of laughs for sure  :(

The models look great. I like how you tied the Harlequins to the rest of your force.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #1870 on: August 2, 2018, 09:23:04 AM »
So glad you're doing better, I understand completely the frustration you described. As stated, the player is just over the top, looks like im going to be setting up my KT using Harliquins. Glad you're back.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #1871 on: August 2, 2018, 11:39:36 AM »
I'm sorry to hear that you have suffered an injury.  I am glad that you are on the mend and I hope that you are back to full health soon.

Your painting skills continue to be excellent.  Those Harlequins look fantastic.  The level of detail is very impressive and your work with red is as outstanding as always.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #1872 on: August 4, 2018, 01:32:53 PM »
@Mage- Thanks so much man.  Glad you like the gold trim on the Harlies… as a following gold-guy like me I really appreciate it!

@Myental- Thanks so much Myen-Tal. I’m happy to be back too. Yeah it sucked to have to bail when there was so much activity on the forum… and you guys certainly maintained a high pace while I was gone. Amazing stuff by you especially bud. Thanks for the kind words too… really glad you dig the Harlies and Incubi. Thanks man!

@DoW- Thanks bud glad you dig the Incubi. I love that unit to absolute death. I’m praying they come out in plastic because I’m prepared to do a huge Incubi themed detachment led by the Visarch. #gunhatting!

@Killersquid- Thanks so much KS. Yeah having both arms hurt was brutal. I sat and just watched videos for 3 weeks straight. Couldn’t hold a book without it hurting. But glad to be feeling so much better. Thanks for the kind words on the models man, its been blast working on the Harlies. Can’t wait to get them finished.

@Dread- Hey Dread, thanks so much man. I know you know my pain on that so I appreciate it bud. Really glad you like my Harlies. Looking forward to seeing your Kill Team!

@Irisado- Hey Irisado thanks so much. I think I’m cruising to a full recovery but I definitley need to use the computer a lot less which is probably the main culprit. Thanks so much for the compliments on my Harlequins. Definitley the biggest painting challenge i’ve faced so I’m really glad you like them. Thanks for the well wishes too, it really means a lot.

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #1873 on: August 7, 2018, 10:54:44 AM »
Welcome back Cav. So sorry to hear that you've been suffering with your arms (Welcome to the club though!), but I'm really glad that you've been doing the right thing and taking time away...and then you drop this update. Seriously phenomenal! The Harlequins are a delight. I actually am seriously impressed that you've managed to make the diamond pattern a secondary effect to the overall colour scheme; most harlequins that include the diamonds really have it as the blaring centrepiece (Mine included), but yours are almost subtle...and the effect is so much better for it.

The Klaivex is super cool too. Almost a cartoon style to it with the highlights that pop so boldly and the recesses that are in such deep shadow. Love it all.

Superb update Cav, this place is definitely for having you in it.

Offline SeekingOne

• Exarch
  • May Hoeth guide our ways...
  • Armies: Eldar (Saim-Hann), Space Wolves
« Reply #1874 on: August 10, 2018, 10:15:28 AM »
Awesome stuff as always Cav!
Love the Harlequins - the stark contrast between red and black/white diamonds is so grim-darkly striking. These clowns definitely do belong in the 40k universe! :) The updated Incubi are great too. The whole lot feels kind of reminiscent of the scary atmosphere of Edgar A. Poe novels. Excellent work!

And - goodness, what happened to your arms? Was it some kind of an accident?
I fight against Chaos and for Order, because it means fighting for Life against Death. There is no other battle truly worth fighting.

"If it's not for a tournament then play whatever it is that you like. Without the pressure of having to utterly destroy your opponent it opens up alot more opportunity to have fun." - Lazarus

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
« Reply #1875 on: August 12, 2018, 04:55:26 PM »
Cav those Harlequins and Incubi are absolutely amazing.  Always an inspiration.  :)

Offline Grizzlykin

• Run little eldar, run! ... And KILL THEM ALL !
  • Armies: Eldars, Tau, Necrons
« Reply #1876 on: August 13, 2018, 02:17:02 AM »
Ha Cav, I really dig those harlequins! There is a really nice feeling to them, you have, yet again, absolutely nailed the color balance and color separation.
The Grizzly's Arvandor Craftworld!

Quote from: Cavalier
ALL HAIL THE TORNADO! The legend is REBORN.

Quote from: Alienscar
The forum member so nice that even when he is MIA he still gets two votes for being the nicest member

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
  • I tread the hidden path.....
  • Armies: Eldar, Raven Guard, Slaanesh
« Reply #1877 on: August 15, 2018, 03:36:56 PM »
I've said it elsewhere but I absolutely love those Harlequins, the colour scheme just works so well and you've done such a great job on the Checkers! Can't wait to see what you are gonna add to them next!
+++ VICTORUS AUT MORTIS +++

My Army Blog (Corsair & Raven Guard: Here

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
« Reply #1878 on: August 17, 2018, 02:42:00 PM »
Amazing stuff Cav!  Could I ask how you did those grey bases?  They’re pretty much what I have in mind for The Lions and I could use your advice!  ;D

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #1879 on: August 20, 2018, 08:49:39 AM »

@Looshkin- Hey Loosh thanks so much. Thanks for reaching out privately too you are a true gentleman. Really glad you like my Harlies they were a real challenge at first but now that I’ve got it down they are really a lot of fun… though still tough! Also thanks on the Klaivex too. Yes I’m totally going for a more 80’s Anime type look on them which I’m glad you could see! Thanks as always my friend your kind words really mean a lot. Now lets both get to Apothecary (or Bonesinger) and get back to work!!!! lol

@SeekingOne- Thanks so much Seeking One. Really stoked you like the scheme. I deliberated on it FOREVER! Thanks for the Edgar Allen Poe reference… as a fanatical fan of HP Lovecraft it means a lot! As for my arms… I think it was a lot of things. I’m very into fitness and exercise and a lot of the weight training I do is very focused on grip strength and my calisthenics puts a lot of pressure on the wrists. Add in being a commission painter and spending a lot of time on the computer and then you end up with carpal tunnel! It was a nice wake-up call really and spending less time on the computer has been good for the old brain…. allowing me to channel more thought and energy into my primary passion which is writing. Anyway thanks for the question Seeking One, and thanks for the kind words it means a lot coming from the forums best painter. Thanks my friend :)

@Calamity- Thanks so much Tangi! They were a true labor of love. Seriously thinking about fielding an Inucbi themed army at some point. As for the bases it couldn’t be easier! Primed black, drybrush Dawnstone, drybrush Celestra grey. You can throw a little bit of a Nuln Oil or Agrax wash on them after if its a little stark. Thats how I paint all my terrain too (with patches of brown earthy bits too). Hope it helps! Thanks bud!

@Grizzlykin- Thanks so much Grizz! So stoked you like them. Thanks for the praise on the color balance that was really the toughest part and I spent about 2 weeks thinking on it… so glad you like. Thanks my friend!

@Auric’s Pride- Thanks so much brother. Coming from the Harlie Master it means a lot. As for what I’m gonna add next see down below! Thanks again AP your painting and your comments have been a huge inspiration!

@Everybody-Hey guys! Sorry I’ve been away so long again. I”m still not out of the woods yet with my carpal tunnel, but doing a lot better! It looks all you guys have been super busy. Cant wait to check out your projects. I”m gonna try and pop in at least twice a week to post some progress and post in your project logs and elsewhere on the forums. So glad to see you guys marching on with your hobby progress. You are all champions!

So I finished my first Starweaver! I mentioned this elsewhere, but it was my first time doing a stencil. I think results are solid enough, but I’ll definitley be doing these by hand going forward. As you may be able to tell the diamonds on the front of the nose are a bit to soft. I’m gonna go in at some point in the future and give them better definition (which I already have) but if you compare them to the diamonds further back (the ones I did by hand) they are nowhere near as sharp.

Still happy with how it came out, but I will be doing them by hand going forward. Glad to have learned the lesson too because I got a lot more Harlie stuff to go! Check it out!

Also had my first game at a GW store. Check out this terrain! I managed to get a win against Necrons which I have not done since 4th edition!

Also began in an Escalation Campaign with a win against Sisters of Battle. This was against my friend Mike who really plays the hell out of Sisters so it was a big win! Next game is a 750pts game against Imperial Knights (gulp!) so stay tuned for that.

Anyway guys thats it for now. Hope you enjoyed the update and like I said I will be stopping by later this week to comment on all your project logs! Keep up the great work guys you are killing it!