News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Double Battles [BFG]/40k  (Read 1184 times)

Offline -The Punisher-

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Double Battles [BFG]/40k
« on: June 8, 2005, 11:43:31 AM »
  I was thinking it would be cool to play a game of 40k and BFG at the same time, With two different boards...one for the battle thats going on on the ground...and the other to represent whats going on in space, After the space battle is over all the remaining ships can deploy extra troops onto the ground, to represent reinforcements, the extra troops could come in using the deep strike rules.  I have all the stuff for the 40k part, but i've never played BFG...is it worth trying out?. Do you think the double battle system would work, why or why not?

Thanks for any replies!

Offline Wurzelmaniac

• MINF: Back on the Market
  • Ancient
  • Masculine In Sex
Re: Double Battles [BFG]/40k
« Reply #1 on: June 8, 2005, 11:56:42 AM »
They have run a Batrep in WD with this idea. IIRC it worked OK.

They had a 40k game which contained a Nova Cannon blasting into space. I guess a reversal of the principle could work.
Quote from: Razyus
Quote from: Salami Tadico
I could do rules, but I really just want to spam Goatse and the like somewhere without restraint or fear of reprisal.
We get it. You've got issues.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #2 on: June 9, 2005, 10:57:19 PM »
It works well for planetary invasion campaigns. BFG for the position and landing. Epic for mass scale battles. 40K for the small scale objective battles. An addition called BFG : Invasion described a way of doing boarding actions and combined BFG/40K type fare.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline the solitaire

• Stupendous Badass
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • quod me nutrit, me destruit
  • Armies: Harlequins, Eldar, Space Marines, DeathGuard, Nids
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2005, 07:47:53 PM »
after the batrep in WD some time back somewhere during the eye of terror campaign i thought we tyried the same at our local gaming store and indeed, the outcome of the BFG battle can be translated into certain advantages or occurrences in a game of 40k. these should be well defined on forehand and there are some guidelines for that mentioned in the previous posts.

it would be a bit more work but maybe better appliccable to set up a complete new set of advantages/disadbatages/phenomena/occurrences for your own games though.

BFG is most certainly worth a try. it's a very interesting game and gives a whole new sense of scale to a running conflict. quite interesting stuff all in all

Offline Zanotam The Wise

• Banned
  • I'm [...] useless
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2005, 01:47:26 PM »
Well, i was thinking of doing something similar, but on the aproach to the planet bonuses and penalties could be applied and then about halfway through the space battle above the planet the 40K game would start with stuff blasting up into space, blasting back, and constant repair of ships and ground reinforcements until one group gains an upperhand in space or ground. You would gain the upper hand simply by destroying a ship repair yard on ground or a ground based gun battery or like secorts being destroyed so as to stop the flow of troops into the ground battle.
My star count will never rise.

*Banned for Spamming*

Offline Eon Kull

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2005, 10:49:19 PM »
http://www.armageddon3.com/English/Campaign/BFG/Planetary_Assault.pdf

Great article by Gav Thorpe on combining the two. You can always do it however you want but this is definately a good start.