News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: N00b Warmachine Questions  (Read 4453 times)

Offline -Makenshi-

• I See Stupid People
  • Ancient
N00b Warmachine Questions
« on: January 18, 2006, 01:01:01 PM »
Wahey! I have no idea why I just started this post of with that but hey *shrug*.

Anyway, I have a few questions about Warmachine (and will likely have more soon) that I'd liek to see some answers too before I fork out money for the books etc.

1. From what I read on the quickstart rules (thanks for that Cailet) I get the impression there's only two types of units, Warjacks and the magic people who control them (Warlocks I think, but can't remember what they were called), is this accurate or is it a) just the quickstart rules or b) the other units don;t have 'special rules'?

2. The army summaries on the site are, to be blunt, crap, I have no idea about what any of the armies are actually like (fast, heavily armoured, CC, ranged etc. etc.) so culd someone give me some kind of lowdown on them?

Thanks to all that reply :).

~MTWC
Quote from: IainC
Because spamming the hotkey for a Deathknight's weapon in WoW is precisely the same as learning to use a sword in real life. That's why when Kendo grandmasters fight, they just stand there shouting keystroke combos at each other.

Offline Wurzelmaniac

• MINF: Back on the Market
  • Ancient
  • Masculine In Sex
Re: N00b Warmachine Questions
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2006, 01:24:15 PM »
1. There are also troops and solos. Troops move in units and often have their own special tricks (Combined Ranged Attack for instance stings). Solos are basically tough individuals, some cast spells (like the Skarlock) others just kill people in large numbers (Manhunter...).

Khador are the epitome of big and hitty. Most of their Warjacks seem quite slow but they have a lot of tricks to alleviate that. They aren't too hot at long-ranged spellwork (only one arc node in the entire army which only one caster can use) but they have some vicious little support spells. Their infantry is pretty impressive and generally mobile. They lack light Warjacks but to make up for it they get the toughest heavies of any faction at bargain prices. Several of their units have ice-based skills which can freeze an enemy in their tracks.

Menoth require more skill perhaps. Their warjacks are cheap but you get what you pay for unless you support them well. They have the cheapest most f*** annoying infantry ever (Zealots) and many abilities which play off each other. They also get the single toughest solo ever (Exemplar Seneschal). Most of their units are cheap and cheerful on their own, their heavy warjacks in particular are poor compared to what others have but when properly supported they become killing machines without a match. Their particular speciality is fire which they employ with gleeful abanon.

Cygnar are the shootiest faction with a lot of expensive elite units. We don't have a local player so I can't say that much about them but I do know they have strong defensive abilities and the ability to disrupt an opponents warjacks.

Cryx tend to employ lots of cheap and effective troops, their bonejacks in particular are cheap and mobile with Arc Nodes that make Cryxian warcasters incredibly effective at long range. Their heavy warjacks are as fast as a Cygnaran light warjack but to counter this and their incredible hitting power they have very poor armour. Cryx are big on debilitating spells and abilities, particularly they have a habit of corroding their opponents causing continuous damage.

Mercenaries provide a variety of special troops to bolster a forces weaknesses. Need some jack-busting infantry? get Sam MacHorne's Devil Dogs. Need to add some speed to your Khadoran battlegroup? Magnus the Traitor can bring his own high-speed forces to your aid. Yep, he's a warcaster. Mercenaries can run their own armies though they aren't as cohesive as one of the 'big four' (and they have only 3 warcasters to the 8 available to each main faction).

That help?
Quote from: Razyus
Quote from: Salami Tadico
I could do rules, but I really just want to spam Goatse and the like somewhere without restraint or fear of reprisal.
We get it. You've got issues.

Offline Yentz

• My Warjack Pwns Your Dreadnought
  • Ancient
  • Im Guilty
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2006, 01:26:02 PM »
Hey Mak, glad your looking into Warmachine, hopefully I can answer your questions.

1. Theres really 4 types of units in Warmachine, Warjacks, Warcasters, Troops and Solos. The quickstart rules don't deal with Troops and Solos though, as the starter sets only come with Warjacks and Warcasters. The rules are pretty easy to learn for Solos and Troops, only real differance is the addition of leadership checks and the whatnot.

2. Heres the lowdown on the 4 factions...

Cryx- These guys are the underhanded, crafty, speedy bastards that just piss everyone off. The units are very low armoured, very high defense, and VERY high speed. They also possess the most potent offensive magic in the game, since every single one of their "Deathchickens"(nickname for their light warjacks) carry an Arc Node that lets the Warcaster channel through them. Not many ranged units, most of their units relie on melee or nasty tricks that are even worse.

Menoth- The Masters of Synergy. At first glance you might suspect Menoth to be weak. Many of their units don't apear to be quite as strong as other factions units, but when you start putting them together, things get brutal fast. They are kind of the "medium" army in Warmachine, a balance between Magic, Speed and Armour. They have a good assortment of ranged and melee units.

Khador- Brutatlity in a red shell. Khador dominates the upclose and personal battle. Tough, strong and sometimes painfully slow, Khador can take a beating and than beat the crap out of whatever tried to blow them up. They have the worst offensive magic in the game, due to their complete lack of Arc Nodes, but they have the best "army supportive" magic, and their warcasters can often negate the slowness of the army with well placed spells that increase speed or otherwise agment their army. Khador has little in the way of ranged attacks, but has some of the best melee in the game.

Cygnar- The Progressors- Cygnar is the forfront of technology and magic, and has some of the best ranged attacks in the game. Their Warcasters have very good offensive and utility magic that can easily turn the tide of the game. They are a lighter armoured, faster faction, but not as fast or as lightly armoured as cryx. Like Cryx, Cygnar Warcasters piss people off by how much they can manipulate the other persons army, and can shred an opponents army before it even reaches them.

::Edit:: You beat me to the punch Cailet :P

You probably explained things more clearly though - Cailet.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2006, 01:28:39 PM by Cailet »

Offline -Makenshi-

• I See Stupid People
  • Ancient
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2006, 01:41:03 PM »
Ah good, I was worried it was only those two types of units.

From what you've told me Cryx seem the most appealing (I'm a liker of speed, afterall, first army was Nids and I've loved DE fluff ever since I started them [shame I didn;t really get into the army itself]), I mean, who can say no to an army with 'Death Chickens' ;D?

Some more general questions:

1. Does it operate on a points system like 40k/WHFB?

2. If so, is there a general army size e.g. in WHFB/40k it's often seen as 2k/1850 for tournaments etc.

3. Do they have a listing of which places sell their stuff? Like GW does in the back of WDs.

~MTWC
Because spamming the hotkey for a Deathknight's weapon in WoW is precisely the same as learning to use a sword in real life. That's why when Kendo grandmasters fight, they just stand there shouting keystroke combos at each other.

Offline Wurzelmaniac

• Ancient
  • Masculine In Sex
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2006, 01:43:26 PM »
1. Yes.

2. Generally an army will be [500x the number of warcasters] points. Tournaments start at the boxed set level and the rest are mostly 500 and 1000.

3 Yep, on their forum and site!
I could do rules, but I really just want to spam Goatse and the like somewhere without restraint or fear of reprisal.

Offline Yentz

• Ancient
  • Im Guilty
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2006, 01:47:13 PM »
1. Yes, though the point costs are lower than 40k
2. Most people play 500pt games(for reference, the Starter sets are 300 pts) and most tournys are 500pts.
3.http://www.privateerpress.com/company/default.php?x=help/customer/find_store

Offline -Makenshi-

• I See Stupid People
  • Ancient
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2006, 02:29:59 PM »
Hmmm, unfortunately it seems there isn't one where I live (Swindon, Wiltshire, S-W England), and I can't see any names I recognise as being particularily close (but then again, I've neevr been good with local geography...), which means I'd have to buy online :-\.

Thanks for the help, I'll post if I have any more qs.

~MTWC

Offline Razyus

• I wish things got done
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Takes a long time to build a cathedral of hate
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2006, 02:57:54 PM »
Well IU'd like to thank makenshi for having the guts to do this and get us on the way to a warmachine board. Can you use mercanaries as a faction in their own right, although I think Cailet mentioned it it wasn't very clear, and if so is it frowned upon?
What sort of evil good for nothing bastard stares out a window, or ducks, or materialises during a bloody good game of cricket

Offline Yentz

• Ancient
  • Im Guilty
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2006, 03:03:28 PM »
Mercenarys can be used as a faction within themselves. However, don't expect things to be fair. Mercenarys don't have the same level of synergy or support that other factions have, but they still kick ass. Mercenarys make an awsome 2nd army to get into, as you can use them on your main faction and as a faction themselves.

Offline Monoglycer

• Supa-Mekboy!
  • Ancient
  • Hard work pays off later but laziness pays off NOW
    • Eldaronline
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2006, 05:51:36 PM »
Alright i'm interested as well so here are some questions.

How are the models? Ie good/bad quality(moldlines etc), price, and what is the general price range for a decent army.

Offline Azurse

• I am the Cyborgnetic Ninja turned Pirate
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2006, 06:18:45 PM »
Well I am about to get into it, but here are some pics of some of the units:

http://www.scifigenre.com/itemDetailPhoto.aspx?sid=0XOSPSXGJH1GMLT&nItemID=24343
http://www.warhammerdirect.com/product_info.php/cPath/110_113/products_id/1265
http://www.warhammerdirect.com/product_info.php/cPath/110_116/products_id/1291
They look pretty cool.

As for the price, it is a little cheaper than 40k  per model. To collect an army, however, it is much cheaper than 40k ( since you have fewer models to field in this game ).

To field a simple 300 point army, it takes $30 US ( battle box ). I don't know what combinations work, but I am guessing that to field a decent army ( 500 - 1000 maybe ) it would cost $75, if anyone knows a more accurate price please inform since I am just making a guess.

98% of statistics are complete and utter bull, if you are the 2% of people that have nothing better to do but still think they're cool, put this in your sig.

Offline Inquisitor Yoda

• Small, Green & Spammish: Now with Extra Alcololz
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Where's the damn festive cheer?
    • Original Writings
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2006, 06:44:24 PM »
From what I've found it's about £60 for a decent starting army in Warmachine - about $100 US.  I'm also thinking of getting into the game, as my bro has plenty of the books etc. And with all the new prices in 40K I'm just totally losing interest in it.

That's right folks, ectoplasm, the force which keeps the sun orbiting around me. Learn it well.

Offline -Makenshi-

• I See Stupid People
  • Ancient
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2006, 06:58:26 PM »
Another three questions:

1. How customisable are the units etc.? As much or not as much as 40k/WHFB?

2. Are the models mostly/all plastic or metal?

3. I'd prefer to get the full rules from the start (buying them that is) as that will give me a better idea of the overall game (plus I like reading rulebooks), are there any real disadvantages to doing it this way?

~MTWC

Offline Yentz

• Ancient
  • Im Guilty
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2006, 07:00:24 PM »
Alright i'm interested as well so here are some questions.

How are the models? Ie good/bad quality(moldlines etc), price, and what is the general price range for a decent army.

Like many companys, Privateer press has gotten better quality over time. The earlier models are fine looking and not to many mold lines or problems. But they still have some problems. However, the newer models are much, much more detailed and have much fewer problems. For instance, take a look at the new stuff from the book "Apotheosis" from Warmachine. The new Warcasters are amazing looking compared to the older ones when the game first came out.

Offline Wurzelmaniac

• Ancient
  • Masculine In Sex
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2006, 07:01:50 PM »
1. Not very. Just numbers normally. There's no wargear as you would have in 40k.

2. All metal. And in answer to Mono they tend to be pretty good. I wrote a little review on the reviews board.

3. Not really, barring price of course...

Offline -Makenshi-

• I See Stupid People
  • Ancient
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2006, 07:03:28 PM »
Well, 1 & 2 are putting me off a bit, I like to be able to customise things and I really dislike metal models (damn pinning!)...

~MTWC

Offline Yentz

• Ancient
  • Im Guilty
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2006, 07:07:47 PM »
Another three questions:

1. How customisable are the units etc.? As much or not as much as 40k/WHFB?

2. Are the models mostly/all plastic or metal?

3. I'd prefer to get the full rules from the start (buying them that is) as that will give me a better idea of the overall game (plus I like reading rulebooks), are there any real disadvantages to doing it this way?

~MTWC

1. Not as customisable. Some people don't like this aspect of Warmachine, but others love it because it is much easier for the game to stay balanced.

2. All metal(basically same metal formula used by GW, not the lead stuff used in Confrontation). Get yourself a good drill to pin some of the more intense models, but most of the models are fairly easy to assemble.

3. Getting the rules first is deffinitly a good idea. I believe the cost for all 3 books is around 80-90$ US, though you really only need to pick up the 20$ Prime intially.

Offline Inquisitor Yoda

• Small, Green & Spammish: Now with Extra Alcololz
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Where's the damn festive cheer?
    • Original Writings
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2006, 07:09:14 PM »
True the lack of customisation might seem odd, but there again there is plenty of flexibility in simply making the lists as far as I can see. The unit selection has plaenty of choice.

And the metal models - ah well, I can't really think of an upside to that.

That's right folks, ectoplasm, the force which keeps the sun orbiting around me. Learn it well.

Offline Yentz

• Ancient
  • Im Guilty
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2006, 07:15:03 PM »
True the lack of customisation might seem odd, but there again there is plenty of flexibility in simply making the lists as far as I can see. The unit selection has plaenty of choice.

And the metal models - ah well, I can't really think of an upside to that.

Metal grows on you. It feels like you actually HAVE something instead of a little plastic toy. I can't even imagine how horrible it would feel if my nice hefty Behemoth suddenly weighed 4 grams of plastic instead of the solid pound it is now. Also, Metal tends to hold detail better than plastic and is easier to strip and re-paint...

Offline -Makenshi-

• I See Stupid People
  • Ancient
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2006, 07:17:02 PM »
Problem with metal for me is pinning, no idea how to do it, and I've had numerous people try to explain (includign on this site), in the end I just gave up on metal models as I fidn it very annoying that you have to use a drill to make something playable :-\.

~MTWC