News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Tau language dictionary  (Read 6318 times)

Offline Pi'Cov

• just me
Tau language dictionary
« on: May 1, 2005, 09:59:50 AM »
Last week I was just wondering about the existence of some sort of dictionary of Tau language. Is there somewhere a (complete) list of Tau words, or are all the "official" tau words in the Codex?

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
Re: Tau language dictionary
« Reply #1 on: May 1, 2005, 12:21:57 PM »
They had a word program on the GW website , but they changed the site and I can't find it now.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Shas'Oink

• Sky Ray Pimp Daddy | Infinity Circuit | Ban me, I dare you! | The Fallen didn't fall, they were pushed. | Winner of the 2008 40K Online Longest Title Competition, awarded again with oak leaves, five years and running | Now with O:nkling! | Axe
  • Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
    • oinks overambitious terrain project(s)
« Reply #2 on: May 1, 2005, 01:43:41 PM »
you can download the tau font from the GW website. its in the tau section, under downloads. however, i have never seen a dictionary. the font will allow you to write words in tau though. (write words as opposed to translate words)

a dictionary would b cool though. perhaps the idea is that you can create your own dictionary. thats the great thing about it.

Offline Pi'Cov

• just me
« Reply #3 on: May 2, 2005, 02:37:14 AM »
It already had crossed my mind: creating a tau dictionary myself. But if there was already such a thing, it wouldn't make sense to double make it. And I didn't know if there were more 'official' words.
Now I am planning to create new words for the tau and put them in some sort of digital dictionary. ("sigh, another warhammer project, as if I don't have anaything to paint" ::))

Offline Shas'Oink

• Sky Ray Pimp Daddy | Infinity Circuit | Ban me, I dare you! | The Fallen didn't fall, they were pushed. | Winner of the 2008 40K Online Longest Title Competition, awarded again with oak leaves, five years and running | Now with O:nkling! | Axe
  • Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
« Reply #4 on: May 3, 2005, 02:16:27 PM »
hehe, i do the same! busy myself with, lets face, rather pointless tasks, when there are more useful things to be getting on with.

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
  • Lost Roads are now found!
    • 40kOnline
  • Armies: Squats
« Reply #5 on: May 3, 2005, 02:17:38 PM »
I never thought it pointless to do the same for the Eldar language.

Lost Roads - finally released!

YouTube-clip of my Squat army.

Offline Shas'Oink

• Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
« Reply #6 on: May 3, 2005, 02:23:46 PM »
well, i dont mean pointless in the sense theres no point. erm.. hold on, bear with me, just read what i wrote!, i mean that theres much more useful things to do first!

you know what i mean. besides, creating an eldar dictionary is very much different, firstly, as it would be pictographic, so you wouldnt have to worry as much about language structure and that sort of stuff!

Offline wper34

• Echo! Echo! Echo! Colonel
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • What? ~nyo
« Reply #7 on: May 3, 2005, 03:31:31 PM »
Hmm... Interesting! Eldar & Tau dictionary. I just wonder about Necrons dictionary as well. I mean all of those strange simplified signs & such on the models.

And it would be neat if we have that kind of new langauge in WAR 40K gaming like giving signals to your ally during a game by the alien langauge writing...

Sentinel Commander of 34th Neros Regiment
My Army Principle: 1. Quantity 2. Quality 3. Variety
Anime Mecha Vocaloid (And Neko) Lover ~nyo

Hymirl... I think you'd better start eating reading the rulebook. :P

Offline Shas'Oink

• Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
« Reply #8 on: May 3, 2005, 03:58:33 PM »
after writing up my tau background i changed the font to tau. i had to go through it to make sure the punctuation was right (the tau font has no full stops, comas etc...) i then took it along and gave it in with my army list for a campaign. (the requirements being a list and background for the army).

the one tiny flaw in the plan was no one could read it, but i won the best background prize anyway!

Offline Pi'Cov

• just me
« Reply #9 on: May 3, 2005, 04:04:55 PM »
the one tiny flaw in the plan was no one could read it, but i won the best background prize anyway!

That's beautiful, simple the best  ;D

And it would be neat if we have that kind of new langauge in WAR 40K gaming like giving signals to your ally during a game by the alien langauge writing...

I sure would like to see the look on the face of my space marine oppenent when I use such a writing to communicate with the Eldar co-player. I think he would get really frustrated.

BTW: how does necron writing look like?

Offline wper34

• Lazerous Penguin
  • What? ~nyo
« Reply #10 on: May 3, 2005, 04:16:17 PM »
BTW: how does necron writing look like?

I would suggest take a look at the Necron Codex. But I can say that it does look similar to Eldar writing in a way...

Offline Pi'Cov

• just me
« Reply #11 on: May 3, 2005, 04:25:09 PM »
Well, there's the problem: me not having a necron codex. But I can imagen what it looks like if it's a bit similiar to eldar. thanks

Offline Shas'Oink

• Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
« Reply #12 on: May 4, 2005, 05:27:54 AM »
you might be able to find some examples in white dwarf, or hte GW website. the necron transfers have lines of teh stuff. its a bit more simplified looking than the eldar runes. more like circles and stright lines, or arcs rather than the flowing lines and symbols of the eldar. 

Offline Trokair

« Reply #13 on: May 5, 2005, 08:27:01 AM »
ther is a dictunery on the web some where. it is incompleat. i will go and look if i can find it later
Sometimes, the best answer is a more interesting question.

Offline Pi'Cov

• just me
« Reply #14 on: May 6, 2005, 04:40:23 AM »
ther is a dictunery on the web some where. it is incompleat. i will go and look if i can find it later

if you would do that, thanks. I can also use that dictionary as a guideline for the tau.

Offline Trokair

« Reply #15 on: May 6, 2005, 10:33:32 AM »
that should be the adrees.

http://www.cygnusx1.info/tau/lexicon.asp

hope that helps. as i sead it is not a compleat dictunery for efry word but it has quit a few
« Last Edit: May 6, 2005, 10:34:53 AM by Tau_Worlock »
Sometimes, the best answer is a more interesting question.

Offline Shas'Oink

• Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
« Reply #16 on: May 6, 2005, 11:13:21 AM »
wow, really cool, and so helpful. this link needs to goo up somewhere prominent.

a great source for tau players, or indeed, people interested in the tau language and 40k fluff in general.

great way to have "official" words added

Offline wper34

• Lazerous Penguin
  • What? ~nyo
« Reply #17 on: May 6, 2005, 07:19:15 PM »
wow, really cool, and so helpful. this link needs to goo up somewhere prominent.

a great source for tau players, or indeed, people interested in the tau language and 40k fluff in general.

great way to have "official" words added

May I suggest someone PM the MOD of Tau forum to include this link as a part of the stikied thread. It should be OK for that...

(Thanks, Tau_Worlock... For the link ;))

Offline Pi'Cov

• just me
« Reply #18 on: May 7, 2005, 12:06:53 PM »
 :o Wow, that's a very good list!! I can barely restrain myself from spamming the reply with smiles! :o :o

It's a great List! Thank You, Tau_warlock for finding it (and the site programmer of course).
And the funny thing of that list is, that everyone can update and edit it, like a real-wiki.