News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: My Aeldari and Aelf  (Read 60229 times)

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
Re: My Aeldari now with a dash of imperials!
« Reply #200 on: May 13, 2018, 10:07:59 AM »
Thats awesome Mage. That case is brimming with Eldar glory! Didnt realize you had Necrons... Pics or didn't happen lol! How did things go with your DE?
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #201 on: May 13, 2018, 05:40:31 PM »
Didnt realize you had Necrons... Pics or didn't happen lol! How did things go with your DE?

Yeah I have a small Necron force, I'll have to take some snaps, painting is not that good as they are all pre-nulion oil lol. The combo of dropping units of from a night scythe and veil to basically teleport a unit was just insane. Deep striking Guardian bombs was bad enough, but that's got nothing on the necron combo, especially in lower point games. I don't think I'll run that combo any more, its too over the top for friendly games.

As frustrating as the old scatter and mishap table may have been, I think it is a fairer mechanic, chances are good you could pull it off, but you would run the risk of not being close enough or something going really wrong.

First DE match was a 3 way, Nids, Necron and DE. I took the extra attack instead of advance and charge for the cult obsession, big mistake, Necrons just smashed them and my wychs failed the deepstrike charge thanks to some shocking rolling and then proceeded to get eaten lol.

Second game they did better as I took red grief and was able to dish out some pain. It took a full unit of wyches 10 Hellions and both an Archon and Succubus to kill of a unit of wraiths though, was some very good rolling on the Necron side and they used the stratgem to bring a couple of them back. I also stuffed up and forgot the extra attack from the wyches blade.

Hellions did most of the damage against the wraiths, being able to fall out of that combat, shoot an immortal squad and then charge back in was insane, but meant the wraith focused on them. Wyches stopped the wraiths from escaping and since Necrons don't really have pistols, there wasn't much he could do about it.

The biggest problem for DE is the bad armour save, even a general sneeze in their direction sends them flying off the board, atleast with my rolling lol. I really think wych cults need a distraction unit, make them chase a Ravager or waste ammo on a Talos.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #202 on: May 15, 2018, 03:20:02 AM »
So quick few snaps of the necrons, they have been sitting on the shelf for so long some of them have legit dust lol.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #203 on: May 21, 2018, 11:56:52 PM »
Scored a bunch of foam, so time for a some quick terrain :)

I'm terrible at creating the random edges to give a rocky feel, so here is my first crack at using tiny foil as a mold to do it for me.

so now right side up lol

Our groups suffering from lack of LOS blocking terrain, so another smaller section will go on top. Not bad for a first crack.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #204 on: May 23, 2018, 05:37:23 PM »
well second go, but with a different material that was meant to shrink.. if didn't lol, but will still do something with it.

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #205 on: May 24, 2018, 05:41:06 AM »
Interesting couple of posts Mage. I'm looking forward to seeing what the final hill looks like. Never thought of using foil to give the definition that you need!
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #206 on: May 25, 2018, 12:22:19 AM »
Did a really quick dry brush and there is a fair amount of detail coming up. Given a bit of practise I think you could get some solid results.

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #207 on: May 25, 2018, 03:27:32 AM »
Looking good so far. I think your journey down terreign road has begun nicely. I remember those days. Foam board and a foam cutter, using spray paint to melt parts, plaster over it to harden it up, etc. Ah memory lane, just paved right over it. Anyhow, keep it up, looking great.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #208 on: May 26, 2018, 10:53:34 PM »
Loving the creativity you've put into your terrain, Magenb, not only really cool-looking, but very realistic :)! Is the terrain going to be limited to the table or are you going to try and apply some of that to your basing? Cool Eldar and Necrons, quite the contrast between those forces ;D. Especially loving that slick Avatar of Khaine in the background, I really love the Forge World model too, so extra points for that!
JohnMaloneBooks website - Blog #3 - From Novella to Novel

- 5/5 Reader's Favorite Review!

A Sanctum of Swords: Embers Edition is coming soon w/ audiobook!

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #209 on: May 27, 2018, 11:22:50 PM »
Is the terrain going to be limited to the table or are you going to try and apply some of that to your basing?

Right now I'm just testing the process for terrain, even meh pieces will be better than the mismatch of stuff I have now. It might work for basing, especially bigger things.

I have run into one, minor problem, if you are going to try this out, be a bit rought with it before undercoating, the fine edges on the base can break off easy, then give it a rough brush to find other bits that will come off. Once those are off it's been stable, but would have been good to have known before undercoating it lol.

Here is a quick snap with the first run of dry brushing done, so still washing and edge dry brushing, then some flocking. Its not a great shape, but it will block LOS to most infantry and the odd tank. Our group plays by the old LOS rules though.

I remember those days. Foam board and a foam cutter, using spray paint to melt parts, plaster over it to harden it up, etc. Ah memory lane, just paved right over it.

Sounds like you got right into it, did you just move on to the kits?

Offline Dread

• Warlock
« Reply #210 on: May 28, 2018, 12:11:05 AM »
Actually yes, to some degree. With the building kits release we changed to them but still used a lot of foam to help with the crumbled look. We made some trenches, had fun with them then the kits came out. Now with 8th ed release, we'very started making some more but I've moved more to making Hoth scenery for Legion.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #211 on: May 31, 2018, 10:17:07 PM »
OK, this is a rush job for testing a 5th ed game this weekend, so its not going to win any beauty pageants. Even with a have decent looking carry case, it is still faaaar cheaper than foam. So far it is working well, they need a decent nock to make them move.

Magenets >)

So Metal infantry models, 10mm x 2mm is a bit overkill but works, this same size holds a war walker in place.

Plastics, Two 3mm x 2mm works, but can be a bit iffy on some things.

Still working out some kinds, the skimmers don't really want to play ball here lol.

So far, 1500 points in 5th ed values.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #212 on: June 6, 2018, 08:04:36 PM »
Thanks to Ebay site wide sales and someone selling off a big box set, its been raining terrain!

I'm not happy with how the blue eye turned out, so going to redo that part.

I like having the runes be more than just lumps of rocks, but I think the red might be a bit too fleshy, any ideas?

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #213 on: June 7, 2018, 07:31:25 AM »
Hey Mage, these look great! I love the pinkish leaves and the brown and green vines and orange mushrooms looks like the way I did it, so naturally I love it! lol

But I do agree the red looks a bit off on the statue. 

Hey bud I used Agrax Earthshade for the main bit of shading, and Guilliman blue to make a magical glow effect (they suggested that in White Dwarf) and I'm really happy with it.

I didn't do the Guilliman blue in the battle damage but that could look really cool now that I think of it. Thats my suggestion. Other than that these look great man. Awesome job.

Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #214 on: June 7, 2018, 08:50:38 PM »
Hey Mage, these look great! I love the pinkish leaves and the brown and green vines and orange mushrooms looks like the way I did it, so naturally I love it! lol

But I do agree the red looks a bit off on the statue. 

Hey bud I used Agrax Earthshade for the main bit of shading, and Guilliman blue to make a magical glow effect (they suggested that in White Dwarf) and I'm really happy with it.

I didn't do the Guilliman blue in the battle damage but that could look really cool now that I think of it. Thats my suggestion. Other than that these look great man. Awesome job.

Thanks Cav, you should check out the box art for outpost Pythos IV, they used a different paint scheme from the website for all the deathworld stuff, including using the orange mushrooms :) They also used a purple for the "leaves", but with a red tip, it looks great.

If you can find a decent res pic for the outpost box, they did a light green on the trunks, but they shaded some areas with a light purple, it looks sooooo much better than the website pics. They also use a redish/brown in the damaged section of the ruins.

I went with the brown trunks as I had the paints, it would also match the woodlands and I saw how well it came out on yours ;)

Update on the transport case.
Sooooooooooo good, getting models in and out of the case is a snap, I know foam is not exact hard to get stuff in and out of, but stuff tends to get caught and if you are using it for storage, it's not the quickest way to find stuff. I think I'll get some cardboard or thin mdf and cut out holes for the bases. The Magnets do a good job but the mdf/cardboard should prevent any horizontal movement from a knock.

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #215 on: June 7, 2018, 09:22:44 PM »
Loving those Aeldari ruins, Mage! I like your choice of color palette, and I actually like the crimson "flesh" beneath the wraithbone. It gives it a kind of alien look, but maybe your instinct is right, might be the wrong kind of alien look you're looking for. Maybe those new nighthaunt paints could help you create what you're looking for?
JohnMaloneBooks website - Blog #3 - From Novella to Novel

- 5/5 Reader's Favorite Review!

A Sanctum of Swords: Embers Edition is coming soon w/ audiobook!

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #216 on: June 8, 2018, 02:56:55 PM »
Well Magenb, I for one think that the terrain is brilliant. I love the colour choices.

As for the 'fleshy' tones of the Eldar runes...I think they're fantastic. I'm picturing the living Wraithbone from which it was constructed being hit by a virulent Nurgle weapon, or a Tyranid Bio weapon. The Wraithbone is then affected badly by the weapon, in the same way a body may discolour when affected by a poison...and the pink fleshy bits are where the damage was caused.

I think it works well and makes the rune tie in well with the plants.

Excellent work.
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #217 on: June 11, 2018, 09:35:45 AM »
Ooh purdy :) I too like the idea of a more bloody colour for healing wraithbone. I imagine something akin to blood vessels growing to repair damaged sections. Looks great :)
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: My Aeldari now with Terrain :)
« Reply #218 on: June 13, 2018, 08:51:55 PM »
Thanks guys, I do like having something organic inside the damage, maybe some dry brushing it will calm it down not sure yet, so while I think on that the work must go on :)

More Death world and Eldar terrain :)

I've gone dry brush made on the gateway :)

still haven't done the final screaming skull brush yet.

EDIT:
Yeah OK, I think I'm going to have to lighten it up a bit to match the ruins.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 08:58:40 PM by magenb »

Offline Dread

• Warlock
« Reply #219 on: June 13, 2018, 09:11:11 PM »
I do like the colors on these, especially on the gateway. So you bought them this way, right? Either way, I know you'll do them jystice.