News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: My Aeldari and Aelf  (Read 60389 times)

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: Start of my Corsair Journey.
« Reply #120 on: July 2, 2017, 04:50:50 AM »
These guys are damn cool :) personal favourite is the Incubi/Scorpion dude. Really characterful :)

I think you're onto a winner with painting the chainmail in warplock, wash and then drybrush silver over the top. That's similar to what I've been doing with the golds on my Knight Worlders (except with Leadbelcher, wash, then gold) and it's a really subtle but nice effect. It'd work nicely for your chainmail. It would change the tone of the colour though, so I don't know how it'd work on your Fire Dragon (although I'm well aware that I like quite a muted palette so other people would probably not be as strict with that as I am!).
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #121 on: July 2, 2017, 06:14:00 AM »
Thanks guys here trial 2 for the FD. Still needs to be cleaned up.

The lighter gold was too yellow, but a single layer of sycorax helped a lot. Need to figure out a better way to take photos.

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #122 on: July 2, 2017, 06:34:47 AM »
Niiiiice! Magenb!
I was completely wrong with the bone idea. This looks amazing. I bow to your taste in colour... be well!

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #123 on: July 2, 2017, 07:57:48 AM »
Looking good Mage. Like this approach a lot.

BTW if you are looking for awesome super easy golds to work with, use Retributor Gold from GW. Stuff is amazing! Put a Reikland Flesh on it for instant weathering. Its what I use all the time.

I love Sycorax Bronze though. You can get a similar effect by highlighting Retributor with Liberator Gold and its way easier to work with.

However this looks really good. No real need to change, those paints are just easier to work with and look soooo similar. Just some advice. Anyway great stuff bud love it!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #124 on: July 2, 2017, 09:02:33 AM »
I really like this scheme. The silver was good too, just too clean as I said before. This one is not necessarily [ยก]dirty[/i], but it is enough of a departure from a high elf paint job to be unique.

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #125 on: July 4, 2017, 06:16:17 AM »
Yeah absolutely love this newer scheme. You're right the silver felt a little too high elfy, but this is perfect :) what a gorgeous colour!

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #126 on: July 4, 2017, 10:10:04 PM »
 8) and that's what I have to say.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #127 on: July 7, 2017, 11:27:48 PM »
OK more progress shots.

So Exodite knights/Spears

Hard to tell in the photo's, but the chain mail/silver plate has a blue glaze over it, whee are the beast scales are really light blue. Also the Armour pieces on them are bronze, then the trim is a yellow gold. I might need to darken the bronze a bit so its more obvious.

First guy's hair is too dark and the others too light. Trying to use "Model Color" natural wood, for more of a brown blond sort of thing.

I  need to tidy up the flames, but the Exodite FD are atleast looking like a unit now.

Might need to get one more and make it an exarch, maybe a dragon breath flamer.. not sure.

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #128 on: July 8, 2017, 12:37:38 AM »
Niiiiice Magenb!
They look amazing together like that, and is that a 2nd ed, Eldar codex you have them posing on? Are the flames engraved on the capes of the FD's, or your design? You've done a great job either way. Those knights look like a lot of work that have paid off. You must be very proud, mate... Well done!

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #129 on: July 8, 2017, 08:12:48 AM »
Looking superb! The flames on the capes are very well executed. They are definitely looking like a cohesive unit now. Keep up the good work.

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #130 on: July 8, 2017, 11:55:26 PM »
I applaud your tenacity. They look the part for sure.

The use of slannesh rides for eldar, well, gotta say hahaha. Good job!
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #131 on: July 9, 2017, 08:07:08 PM »
Niiiiice Magenb!
They look amazing together like that, and is that a 2nd ed, Eldar codex you have them posing on? Are the flames engraved on the capes of the FD's, or your design? You've done a great job either way. Those knights look like a lot of work that have paid off. You must be very proud, mate... Well done!

Nice spot, yep 2nd edition codex, I had it out again to read up on the phoenix lords.

The flames are part of the model, my hand is not steady enough for that

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #132 on: July 10, 2017, 07:47:35 AM »
Looking really nice Mage! Love those Dragons the headswaps work perfect. Nice job on the back of the cloaks too. Really nice work here. The Seekers look excellent as well. Love that blue... it reminds me of your Corsairs. Fantastic stuff bud, keep it up!

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #133 on: November 7, 2017, 12:28:25 AM »
So managed to find the old start collecting Eldar boxset going cheap and a bit store with the warlocks so now I have a flying V Seers council :)

These guys are so much fun in 5th.

Offline Saim-Dann

Re: My Eldar, CWE, Corsair and some exodites.
« Reply #134 on: November 7, 2017, 12:56:26 AM »
Niiiiice!
Those stripes forming an arrowhead look Micky Mouse, Magenb. A fine touch to a beautifully painted unit. Have always liked the blue and gold teaming together with your army. The Farseer in red at the point of the unit? Magic touch. Is that gold mixed with blue on their helmet faces?

These models weren't around in 5th though. I know this because I was so frustrated with GW releasing them at the tail end of 6th ed after scratch building my own. Imagine chopping and sculpting the lead torso of a Warlock to match the legs/arms of the old JB rider. Only for GW to pump out these gems... Pointy ears forever!!   

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #135 on: November 7, 2017, 07:43:59 AM »
Nice! Sweet pickup Mage. Love the chevrons... saw somebody do that with a squadron of Nightwings once and it look brilliant! This does too. Yeah the metallic faceplates look sick too! The Farseer in red does look cool as well. Good call! I wish I had a unit of these guys, I'd rock them Saim-Hann all day with a couple units of Spears. That'd be a super nice combo.

Great stuff Mage glad to see some hobby stuff from you bud. Keep sharing!

Offline Blazinghand

• Warlock | Master of the Ravenwing
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Die for the Emperor or die trying!
  • Armies: Eldar, Orks
« Reply #136 on: November 7, 2017, 01:42:52 PM »
That looks great. I really like the look of the new jet bike models combined with the seers.
Quote from: Howard Zinn
There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #137 on: November 7, 2017, 04:10:06 PM »
Is that gold mixed with blue on their helmet faces?

These models weren't around in 5th though. I know this because I was so frustrated with GW releasing them at the tail end of 6th ed after scratch building my own.

Gold around the helmets with the new brown wash, the face plates are a dark silver with black metalic air paint on top brushed on so it works morel ike a glaze, then the eyes are a white with a blue transperant paint so it looks like a lense.

Yeah I converted up a bunch of DE jetbikes to make the warlocks on bikes, but then the new seers droped and the farseer just looked out of place, so I've been trying to find a cheap way to do them. The old DE conversions I can mostly swap back into reavers still. So someone is about to get hit by a reaver spam list lol. 

Great stuff Mage glad to see some hobby stuff from you bud. Keep sharing!

Yeah been having too much fun playing games for a change :)

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #138 on: November 9, 2017, 07:15:30 PM »
Can't believe I haven't commented on your Dragon Riders yet dude! They looks seriously awesome :) I'm definitely of the opinion that Seekers make the best exodite dragons of the lot. THere's a sinuous grace to them that just screams 'eldar' to me ;)

Also, the combination of those mounted Dark Elf Warlock hair pieces and the occasional Harlequin mask is definitely an idea I'll be stealing if you don't mind ;) looks great

I'm liking the jetbike council too, especially the balck-metallic washed faceplates. Small touch, but they're a real standout texture for me :) have you tried using that as the base colour for any models? I'd love to see Dark Reapers coloured like that for instance ;)

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #139 on: November 12, 2017, 04:57:15 PM »
Also, the combination of those mounted Dark Elf Warlock hair pieces and the occasional Harlequin mask is definitely an idea I'll be stealing if you don't mind ;) looks great

Can't ait to see what you do with them :)

have you tried using that as the base colour for any models? I'd love to see Dark Reapers coloured like that for instance ;)

No, first time I tried it, I didn't want my typical warlock black face plate. I'm keeping an eye out for some more reapers any way may have to give it a go. I did see a photo of some DA's all in Sycorax Bronze, they looked great, so a full metal look can work.