News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: A Tale of 8 Armies. Disgussion, WIP and PIP thread  (Read 31760 times)

Offline angel of death 007

• Dreadbash Warboss | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
Re: A Tale of 8 Armies. Disgussion, WIP and PIP thread
« Reply #160 on: May 31, 2011, 12:44:19 AM »
that thing is beautifull!
may i steal it? ;3

Um no.  It took me long enough to build it and finally magnatize it.  I just got around to painting it and owned the model forever.  I have 2.  The other has a different face plate and is in the rusty metal technique. 

@AoD: Wow, that thing is amazing, im liking the skullface, any chance of a tutorial on how to get that weatherbeaten white look?

@Everyone who is still taking part (or wants to):
Please post something here ASAP. partly because im going to edit the title of this thread as its a bit silly calling it 8 armies when there is only 4-5 of us :P Also, because i want feedback: I have been feeling that this thread is not different enough from the monthly vow thread. This is not supposed to be like that, rather encompasing things like batreps ect which gives an idea of ARMY progress rather than just painting progress. Please let me know what you think :)

No tutorial.  I can give ya a break down of what I used though.  Black primer, scorched brown solid coat except for deep recesses but mostly all coated.  Medium solid coat of graveyard earth leaving a lot of the brown in recesses.  I then drybrushed bleached bone on the higher spots.  Then I started with a very very light dry brush of skull white.  I kept doing skul white drybrushing with very little paint focusing mostly on the raised areas.  (just got a new medium dry brush and stippling brush and got to use my dry brush for this model).   

I usually have semi mixed results with trying to achieve a white.  And usually stop at using a fortress grey or spacewolves grey as I think both look very close to white depending on what you are painting.   But when using a brown base neither really works well.  Working off a black base color you can get the fortress grey to look like a decent white, and off of a bright color (especially blues and even reds) space wolves grey works so much better than skull white.  For browns I usually only highlight up to bleached bone but I felt that bleached bone really didn't make this model "pop" enough so I took it a bit farther.

As far as armies go mine is coming along nicely considering I didn't start painting orks since my first vow in Oct / Nov area.  My goal is to get my 2500 point list finished by ard boyz.  As far as gaming goes I have not been able to get a game in for quite sometime.  Maybe I will call up one of my friends to get a game together. 

I somewhat agree that it needs a bit more.  Not sure how battle reports would work though as we would probably have to link them in here.   Game summaries might work better, or even tournament summaries. 

Though it is like the monthly vows in the fact that you vow something and complete it.  I do feel it is different in that most of the monthly vows are random.  Very few people I see build the same army.  Most just pick different models or squads they like or new stuff that comes out or they acquire.  Most change from one sqaud of one army to a squad or a model from a completely different army.  Monthy vows are somewhat random and at the end of the month are over.  It is a good push to get a model or squad done but hardly the push or direction to get a whole army completed.

Offline Critically_Hit

• Now likes bolters...
« Reply #161 on: May 31, 2011, 02:00:43 AM »
I'll think on this. (apart from horribly failing with the speeder this month - or most other painting for that matter this month!). I really think it could use slightly more, at the very least some sort of monthly report consisting of

Models painted
Battles played
Total army size
Pained models

And of course a bit of text dexcribing the army painting/building adventures we've had.

In the original tale of 4 gamers (yes I have those white dwarves), they were on a hobby budget per month and built completely diverse armies, and you could see the armies shaping up as the months went by. They talked about the battles they played, tournaments they entered, painting they did and conversions they made.

Hope that helps.
In case of doubt, duck! Hit the ground... Though not a tactical advantage per sé, it does make you feel safer for a couple of seconds

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #162 on: June 30, 2011, 06:46:17 PM »
I finished up my June vow my ard boyz...  getting me one step closer to having a completed army.   

Next month will be very busy for me.   I plan on konverting and painting my Daemon Prince Dread with KFF to lead my Dread Mob (apocalypse formation)

On July 19th I will be participating in the Battle of the Boss's in an Ork on Ork apocalypse game.
http://www.40konline.com/index.php?topic=215512.0
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 06:53:59 PM by angel of death 007 »

Offline enlg

• I like editing stuff.
« Reply #163 on: June 30, 2011, 07:51:11 PM »
I made substantial progress on my Death Guard modeling wise. I have actually been able to get working on reconverting/preparing them and I will have some rather extreme conversion jobs that I am actually proud of. In about 3 weeks I should have started painting them and have made some decent looking progress which I will be able to post, but if I don't get as much work in as I'd hope, I'll definitely have them done by the end of my summer :)

Offline Dragon flames

• my models are forever going unfinished
« Reply #164 on: July 5, 2011, 02:23:42 AM »
Wow this all looks amazing!  :) I envy all of you for being able to finish so many models, I am not very good at finishing models.

@ Angel of Death: My jaw drops at how many orks you have completed and I really like the deff dread you have done.

@ Critically_Hit: I really like your marines, your painting is really clean and neat, I especially like the way you paint the white on your marines.

Df!

Offline Bassiecore

• Ork Boy
  • Insert generic quote here
« Reply #165 on: July 5, 2011, 02:07:40 PM »
Right then. I have returned from the Chaos Wastes (wales :P) and now i actually have time to post on here.
I have considered what to do to make this better and having looked at the newer To4G on the web and the 40k ones in white dwarf i have come to a decision:

We shall use Crit's idea for structure:
(things in Ittalics i have added to Crit's origional post.
some sort of monthly report consisting of

Models painted number and points
Battles played summery. As long/short as you want it to be
Completed Army size
Total army size points
Pained models ones done that month. pics and writing, details such as WIP shots, conversion tips ect welcome but not essential

And of course a bit of text dexcribing the army painting/building adventures we've had.

Hopefuly this will give some much needed structure and sense of progress to the Tale and will help keep people focused.

One thing though, would you be wanting me to open a new thread in honour of the new formating or should we just keep it here, edit the title and roll with it?

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #166 on: July 5, 2011, 03:45:20 PM »
@ Dragon Flames...  thanks a lot.  I have been working on different techniques over the past 8 months.   I have been testing different methods and how they work. 

@ The Phoenix.   Keep it here, no need to start a new post and lose everything that we already have or have to link to it.   Hopefully we can stay active enough that we won't have to worry about it dropping too low on the board.

Offline enlg

• I like editing stuff.
« Reply #167 on: July 12, 2011, 12:30:29 AM »
As I am the ultimate slacker, I just want to inform you Pheonix, all heavy conversion work for remodeling my Death Guard army and making every model different and very individual (an entire 1850pt list) has been completed bar 4 rhino transports. I can maybe get pictures up sometime this week. I will also be creating a display board to carry them around on.

Models include:
24 Plague Marines
7 Nurgle Havocs
4 Nurgle Terminators
1 Daemon Prince
6 Obliterators
4 Rhino Transports with plague zombie crews
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 12:37:31 AM by enlargingcloud »

Offline Critically_Hit

• Now likes bolters...
« Reply #168 on: July 13, 2011, 02:01:49 AM »
I am really sorry for my lack of progress. But working overtime and general life have kept me from painting more than I would like. To make matters worse my holliday is coming up so there won't be much the coming period of time.

I'll be back with a vengeance - you'll see!
In case of doubt, duck! Hit the ground... Though not a tactical advantage per sé, it does make you feel safer for a couple of seconds

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #169 on: July 20, 2011, 10:24:06 PM »
I got to bring my whole ork army in the recent Battle of the Bosses.  It was a 5200 point on each side Apocalypse battle.

You can see my painted and unpainted models in action.
http://www.40konline.com/index.php?topic=216067.0

I have also been completing my Ork Dread Mob leader w/ kff.
http://www.40konline.com/index.php?topic=215442.msg2628134#msg2628134

He is also the one I am going to paint for this vow...

Offline enlg

• I like editing stuff.
« Reply #170 on: July 29, 2011, 04:59:26 PM »
Ok, so at long last here are pictures. Do to using my dad's iphone camera (as I don't own a camera) the pictures required the additional use of a flashlight (and so that gives the models glare on certain ends of them). The models were basecoated gunmetal blue (valejjo colors) and will be much brighter in the future.

I put a lot of time into the conversions, and so right now I am in awe that I finished. Pictures of everything in my army (that will be in the next tournament I will play) are there besides 3 rhino transports (well, there is a glimpse of the top of one....) and 3 of the 4 plague marine squads. Everything else is there :)

7 Plague Marines

7 Nurgle Chaos Havocs (with icon of chaos glory, which I made large)

« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 05:19:00 PM by enlargingcloud »

Offline Hades Hound

• Who needs food when you have miniatures?
« Reply #171 on: July 29, 2011, 05:53:47 PM »
That's pretty crisp detail for an iphone camera. Which gen does he have? All I have right now is an itouch 4, and I can't for the life of me get it to take a half decent picture so I can post it on the site.
Anyways, more on topic: Half of these conversions look slick, slimy, gross, with melting flesh and oozing pustules, so perfectly Nurgle in my book! I especially like the bug eyed one, and some of the horned creations. However, some of the others that seem to be sprouting new appendages and such make me think more of Tzeench, as those look more mutation-y than plague-y. Either way, those are some neat looking models.
Out of curiosity, where are you going with that bolt gun base coat? Lots of green and brown inks, or do you have something else in mind?

Offline enlg

• I like editing stuff.
« Reply #172 on: July 29, 2011, 10:26:48 PM »
He has the most recent Iphone which he got about three weeks ago actually, and it happened to have an HD camera.

Well you can't tell from the images, but its actually a blue-metalic color. I am then going to use a green ink wash over them, mark out the slime/flesh with a darker brown/flesh tone with a brown/fleshwash, and then I will most likely go for a bright green (nearly blue) for the shoulder pads, plasma weaponry, and close combat weapons and the manreaper on the daemon prince.

I am debating how to paint to bolters/meltaguns/autocannons/lascannon. I'm not sure if the bright green/boltgun+green ink will suit me, and I might try a rust effect.

Also the pictures here don't give full credit to what the details look like though. I have a friend who knows someone who is skilled in macrophotography though, so once they are fully painted, I might go talk to my friend and get some nice photos taken of them.

P.S. the tentacles on the deamon prince were inspired by the Typhus concept art, where you can see him almost absorbing an imperial guardsmen into his arm. I modeled the army having destroyed some imperial guardsmen, and two of my rhinos are actually modeled as looted leman russes, who are modeled backwards, and driven by mutants (from my lost and damned army that I can no longer play legally!!!!!!!). They look like little land raiders, except that they have less guns, and more zombies.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 10:30:28 PM by enlargingcloud »

Offline Hades Hound

• Who needs food when you have miniatures?
« Reply #173 on: July 30, 2011, 01:02:10 AM »
Ah, well, zombie absorption is something I haven't seen before, so kudos for teaching this old dog some new tricks. I actually like the idea of Nurgle "eating up" the freshly dead, so to speak, and incorporating their soon to be diseased bodies into his already shambling horde. Man, almost makes me want to collect chaos now.
As for bolters, I think rust is the traditional way to go, you'll see most players take that route. What about making the weapon seem alive though, as if it were demonically possessed? Maybe paint some of them fleshy like your marines, with some pustules for fun? Or maybe have the flesh blend in and out of the metal, but make the metal grimy and blackened instead of rusted (or else you won't get much of a transition color-wise)? I don't know, just tossing out ideas.
Also, that would make your dad's a 4th gen, as the 5th are not out yet (to my knowledge, anyways). Basically, I have the same thing, minus the phone part, which makes me wonder what I'm doing wrong when it comes to trying to take pics with it. I'll fiddle around, see what I come up with.

Offline enlg

• I like editing stuff.
« Reply #174 on: August 3, 2011, 08:40:40 PM »
Yeah, well I liked to idea of powerful daemons being able to simply absorb people instead of having to fight them, as their enemies do often die simply from disease :)

Anyways I think I know how to effectively paint to slime, with lighting/color changes like this picture I found on the web. I'm also going for a crimson/darkened base, and the shoulder pads will likely be crimson+blue-green to give them some interesting bits. We'll see how my experiment goes.

-Sadly the image couldn't upload, it isn't mine, and its URL is huge and wouldn't be posted up.

Offline Rems

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #175 on: August 4, 2011, 04:29:57 AM »
I too would like to join up and inject some new blood into this thread if you'll have me. The idea of a thread dedicated to chronicling my progress on a whole army is quite appealing and i hope will motivate me to finish in a timely manner. I'm not an especially slow painter but i do flit from project to project resulting in lots of nearly finished armies and projects.

So:

Army: Astral Claws (Space Marines).

Recently i took the plunge to start another army (despite the unfinished state of many others.) I chose the Astral Claws as i love their fluff and look from the Babdab books. Their tragic fall due to one's man's arrogance and the inflexible character of the Imperial regime was really appealing. it also allows me to use them alongside my Imperial Guard army with the Tyrant's Legion list. (My guard handidly are painted in a grey and blue scheme appropriate for servants of the Astral Claws.

I also wanted to take the time to make a fresh start on an army, condensing all the techniques i have learnt over the years of painting mini's. In the same vein i really wanted to personalise it and as such am aiming to have no two marines alike, in a Chapter of 1000 marines after all each is a hero in their own right. So far with Two tactical squads, a command squad and a sternguard squad (in varying stages of paintedness) i have kept to that. I like applying all the appropiate markings too, so chapter, company, squad markings, personal heraldry and litanies etc.

I'll have some pictures up tomorrow when there is light to take them by.

I'm currently working on finishing the Sternguard and progressing through one of the Tactical sqauds.

Offline enlg

• I like editing stuff.
« Reply #176 on: August 4, 2011, 03:55:25 PM »
I'll have some pictures up tomorrow when there is light to take them by.

I look forward to seeing them!

Also here is the general color scheme that I am going for. It is based off this concept art that I found on the web.

Offline Rems

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #177 on: August 5, 2011, 06:42:11 AM »
First progress upload. All are works in progress, comments and criticisms welcomed.

Ancient Varygon

Sternguard Sergeant

Going to change the powerfist into sliver like the rest of the armour, having it blue i feel unbalances the model.

Sternguards

Tactical Squad

(that's not flash by the way, he's done in a true mettalic style, so reflective highlights placed where they would realistically be. )

Varient armour patterns for the win! That's homemade Heresy pattern by the  way.

For the silver armour ive gone with blending rather than typical extreme highlighting for power armour as it just looked better. The blending looks quite harsh on some of the tactical marines though, particularly the greaves. I've also gone with glowing eyes as a way to liven up the models and draw the viewer in.  The whole army will be based in snow the same as the Dreadnought except with bits of rock and rubble poking through to make it more interesting.

This month i'm aiming to finish my sternguard and paint up a combat squad completely. I also want to start work on a librarian.

Offline Naabster

• In the grim far future there is only -green stuff-
« Reply #178 on: August 5, 2011, 07:41:18 AM »
Hey, i hope that you guys let me join this epic tale too!

I have been around on this site for a while and took part in two of the monthly painting challenges but i feel like this Tale of 8 Armies thing might be something for me.
I started my Eldar Army in January to try some new techniques and finally use something else than green... (15 Years of Dark Angels is a cool thing to do but everything as to end eventually...)
So i decided on creating my own Craftworld (still undecided about a prober name though) with an unique color scheme (blue with really strong highlights going into white and white/blue glowing wreathbone).

To make it a little more interesting i though to do a craftworld Eldar list with some Exodite allies that will be counting as "normal" Eldar. So i dug out my sculpting tools and started to build my first dragon rider "Viper / Hornet to give it an unique feel. I' will be converting and building more units over time, but as with everything else nothing happens over night...

The story behind this is, that the sun of an Exodite maidenworld (actually a moon circling around a gasgiant) slowly turned into a red giant endangering the maidenworld in the process. Eldar from Biel Tan and Sam Hain with strong ties to the Exodites came to its rescue and pulled the moon out of its gravity well and started growing a new Craftworld around the maidenworld to provide light and warmth with a small artifical sun held in place with graviton fields between the craftworld Hull and the moon. (sounds crazy right!  ;D )

2 millennia have passed since the fusion of the two groups but the craftworld eldar and the exodites eldar still form two very distinct cultures even though much interaction occurs. Every eldar can chose his way of live wiht some preferring the hardship of the planetbound Exodites and others preferring the Path system of the Craftworlders.
Naturally they will go to war together if an enemy shows its ugly face or the farseers decide to avert a future thread.

Pictures of my completed units and my dragon rider will follow soon. (I am going on holidays on monday so we'll see what i can do about pics)

@Rems
Your Astral Claws look great! I love your painting skills especially the true metallic and the glowing eyes. Great stuff man!

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #179 on: August 6, 2011, 09:53:55 PM »
@ Rems great work on the Astral Claws.  I really like the attention to detail that you bring out in the models (from the glowing eyes to the scars not to mention the armor highlights).   The color scheme is also really nice.