News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: A Tale of 8 Armies. Disgussion, WIP and PIP thread  (Read 31758 times)

Offline Critically_Hit

• Now likes bolters...
Re: A Tale of 8 Armies. Disgussion, WIP and PIP thread
« Reply #140 on: April 8, 2011, 12:08:05 PM »
Here's some better pictures of my stuff:

Oh and did i mention I got my ass whooped by some dastardly tough deamons? :

In case of doubt, duck! Hit the ground... Though not a tactical advantage per sé, it does make you feel safer for a couple of seconds

Offline KrMaH

• "FOR PONY!!!"
« Reply #141 on: April 11, 2011, 03:12:32 AM »
Critically_Hit, youre the most amazing painter ive ever seen!
love your colour scheme! :D
keep up the good work guys! :3
you sure got a follower in me! :D
was it worth it?

Offline Critically_Hit

• Now likes bolters...
« Reply #142 on: April 12, 2011, 04:59:59 PM »

Screenied for future useage! Oh, and thanks!

But...

While flattering, KrMah, I'm not by far the best on these boards! Between you and me, I still have problems with the consistency of my paint and executing simple layers neatly. I'll never be amongst the super awesome, but as long as i keep improving along the way (and having a fun relaxing hobby) I will be fine! :)
In case of doubt, duck! Hit the ground... Though not a tactical advantage per sé, it does make you feel safer for a couple of seconds

Offline KrMaH

• "FOR PONY!!!"
« Reply #143 on: April 13, 2011, 02:50:55 PM »

Screenied for future useage! Oh, and thanks!

But...

While flattering, KrMah, I'm not by far the best on these boards! Between you and me, I still have problems with the consistency of my paint and executing simple layers neatly. I'll never be amongst the super awesome, but as long as i keep improving along the way (and having a fun relaxing hobby) I will be fine! :)

hehe, see your point there... you may, or may not be the best painter ive ever seen... but your paint job really caught me and i got all kazed up because of it ;)

still, ure better than i am (as i mess up and have to correct all the time) at painting these mini's!
keep up the good work! :D
was it worth it?

Offline Bassiecore

• Ork Boy
  • Insert generic quote here
« Reply #144 on: April 14, 2011, 09:56:34 AM »
@Crit: glad to see you have a fan :)

@KrMaH: You know, we do have 3 (i think) spots left open at last count so you are welcome to join us if you want :)

*note to self: Paint more*

Offline angel of death 007

• Dreadbash Warboss | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #145 on: April 21, 2011, 05:40:08 PM »
I finished off my warboss and my 25 boyz squad.   I still gotta add a little static grass to the boys and a few decals here and there but for the most part they are done.   My army is coming together quite nicely.

Warboss

25x orks slugga boyz squad

Offline KrMaH

• "FOR PONY!!!"
« Reply #146 on: April 24, 2011, 07:17:32 PM »
@Crit: glad to see you have a fan :)

@KrMaH: You know, we do have 3 (i think) spots left open at last count so you are welcome to join us if you want :)

*note to self: Paint more*

Hmmm... will have to think about this offer... I just started warhammers after a 8 year break, and since I was 11 back then, I haven't got much skill...
Also, I'm at the end of IB 2, my grad exams coming up from 4th to 17th of may, andI'm busy all summer, and most at the start of the fall as I am moving from Norway to university in Calgary in Canada...
Have to mention that, since I started in February I have painter all assault on the black reach marines, another dread, a land raider crusader, and have started at some assault marines, tacticajs and death company...
was it worth it?

Offline evildrcheese

• Suffer not the witch to live.
  • Armies: Blood Angels, Sisters of Battle
« Reply #147 on: April 25, 2011, 12:30:45 PM »

Okay, it's looking suspiciously like I'm not going to be able to complete my pledge for this month. I will post what I've managed to get done on my priests next weekend though. You all know how it is though, I’ve been to busy with work and my studies and somehow have barely picked up my brushes this month (for shame!) -  I've literally only managed to get the units under coated and get the first base coat on...

While I'm here what happens if we want to paint some thing for this army, but that's not on the list posted previously. I've had a few games now and I've decided I need more boots on the table, so was thinking of adding another Assault Squad and a Tac squad, is it okay to add stuff to our army list?

D

Offline enlg

• I like editing stuff.
« Reply #148 on: April 25, 2011, 05:43:10 PM »
Sadly I also will not be able to work on my models for about 2 months......remove me if you please but I will be finishing my Nurgle Army and touching up my Eldar for this August anyways.

-Cloud

Offline Bassiecore

• Ork Boy
« Reply #149 on: April 25, 2011, 05:57:12 PM »
Okay, it's looking suspiciously like I'm not going to be able to complete my pledge for this month. I will post what I've managed to get done on my priests next weekend though. You all know how it is though, I’ve been to busy with work and my studies and somehow have barely picked up my brushes this month (for shame!) -  I've literally only managed to get the units under coated and get the first base coat on...

Sadly I also will not be able to work on my models for about 2 months......remove me if you please but I will be finishing my Nurgle Army and touching up my Eldar for this August anyways.

Thats fair enough, Real Life gets in the way :P

@Cloud: I never said you would be removed if you didnt complete what you said you would. This is a motivational thing not a set-in-stone competiton. If it was i would have to remove myself by now as it seems my time is taken up by exams and stuff.

While I'm here what happens if we want to paint some thing for this army, but that's not on the list posted previously. I've had a few games now and I've decided I need more boots on the table, so was thinking of adding another Assault Squad and a Tac squad, is it okay to add stuff to our army list?

Adding stuff is fine as long as you post up your new list so we know you did :)

Hmmm... will have to think about this offer... I just started warhammers after a 8 year break, and since I was 11 back then, I haven't got much skill...
Also, I'm at the end of IB 2, my grad exams coming up from 4th to 17th of may, andI'm busy all summer, and most at the start of the fall as I am moving from Norway to university in Calgary in Canada...
Have to mention that, since I started in February I have painter all assault on the black reach marines, another dread, a land raider crusader, and have started at some assault marines, tacticajs and death company...

Skill is irrelivent. As i said, this is motivational rather than a competition :)

If you think you will be too busy thats fine but feel free to join in if you want. There is no rule saying you have to paint huge amounts each month after all :)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 05:59:45 PM by Grand Master Sanguinius »

Offline evildrcheese

« Reply #150 on: May 2, 2011, 03:59:51 PM »

Just when I thought the fail boat had set sail, I dropped anchor and painted some minis...

Okay, that didn't make a great deal of sense, but I'm trying to say I got some painting done over the bank-holiday weekend.

Didn't quite get all 3 of the priests done, but I reckon the main body is complete, the backpacks need work, I need to do them some jump packs, and I haven't even considered getting the bases done, but we're getting there.

Here's how they're looking:

I'm really pleased with how the white came out, but any C&C is welcome on any aspect of the models as they're still WIPs.

D

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #151 on: May 9, 2011, 02:56:10 PM »
I was hoping for this month to kinda be more calm than it is.  But work is really going to be busy.   Ideally I would have liked to finish my dread and either the ard boyz or maybe my other small squad of boyz.  Unfortuneately I can't even remotely guarantee anything to that nature.  I am going to try to complete my dread.

On the positive note...
- I converted all of my nobs on bikes so they will be ready to see primer
- I washed and cleaned my FW Boss on a bike and all the parts to my Mega Dread.  This will save precious time for when I eventually go to prime them or even paint them.

So I know I will have a busy month but I still wanna get atleast the regular dread done.   There hasn't been much activity here recently.  So if you got something small even give it a shot for this month. 

Let's see some vow's.   Trust me it is one step closer to getting your army completed.

Offline Bassiecore

• Ork Boy
« Reply #152 on: May 9, 2011, 03:20:32 PM »
ok then, here goes...

@Cheese: it may be my pc but i cant see the pics, just red Xs. anyone else having that problem?

@AoD: I know what you mean about a busy month, i have exams going on for the next 3 weeks so that pretty much guarantees no painting time for me :( On the bright side, June is totaly free so i shall hopefully be able to make up for lost time :P

@Everyone: how do you guys think this is going so far? is it helping you or do you want to just quit it and let the thread die, i mean we started off at 8 but im seeing only 3-4 of you posting regularly. Please let me know either way :)

{GMS}

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #153 on: May 10, 2011, 01:21:53 AM »
Considering I got the majority of my army painted I will say that this is going very well on my part.  It has kept me motivated to paint and get my army completed.  Just looking at my army from the pics I took at the beginning really is doing it for me. 

I can't wait to have the army finished for the after shot and maybe by the end of the year that may just happen (including some of my apocalypse stuff).  I went from before only being able to take my ork army to events where there was no painting to being able to take a (probably) fully painted army to ard boyz this year. 

I know we all have a lot of stuff going on but think of it.  Every army has some FOC slot that only fields one model.  Honestly one model is easy to paint even if you only have an hour here or there in a month.  I figure most models can be completed in around 4 hours or less (for a single model).  Basically translates to four one hour days in a month.  Far from impossible.  Which is why i pledged my dread.  Realistically I probably don't have any time to paint as I have a few weeks this month where I work 7 days a week.  Great for the money but bad for the hobby.  But honestly I can't turn down the money when it is there.

I  know with my ork army I have a lot more models than most armies out there.  Usually in the tune of 2-3 times the amount of a regular army and as many to 5-6 times the amount of an elite army.  Yet I have been pretty consistent in painting a squad and another model or small unit a month. 

I think it is important for a thread like this to exist as it is a motivation tool.  Not only for those participating but also for those who follow or view the thread. 

Offline Critically_Hit

• Now likes bolters...
« Reply #154 on: May 10, 2011, 02:05:45 AM »
Oh yes... I am ashamed I splurged on a character model that wasn't on my list last month! I will duly add him to the roster and pretend I'm a good imperial citizen...

So far I've managed quite a bit in this thread (I do combine it with the monthly vows most of the time). And I don't think it's time to give up yet. However, and I should do that more myself , these threads are the most fun when various people post regular updates.

I for one will try to better my life! I'll do some work on a landspeeder this month...

Offline evildrcheese

« Reply #155 on: May 10, 2011, 12:28:40 PM »
I do agree that it has helped keep me motivated, hell, I even did some painting when I thought my pledge wasn't going to get done last month.

Even though my pledges are fairly small, it keeps me ticking over. I think without this added motivation I would easily lapse into surfing the internet aimlessly, as I work  8 hours a day, and then study for 3-4, so it can be pretty hard to find the motivation to pick up the brush…

Incidentally my pledge for this month is:

The rest of my honour guard (4 models)

and I also want to get my priests based, and I've got a battle force coming, so I would like to get at least some of that built.

Wow, a pretty big pledge by my standards.

D

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #156 on: May 29, 2011, 09:19:09 PM »
I got my monthly vow done.  Used a few different color shading techiques with this model as I didn't do my typical weathered metal look.   This dread I did to make him look slightly weathered but put more focus on the details. (like the brass, and skull face).

Hope you like

A little better look at some of the brass

And a better look at the skull face

Offline KrMaH

• "FOR PONY!!!"
« Reply #157 on: May 30, 2011, 06:26:15 AM »
that thing is beautifull!
may i steal it? ;3
was it worth it?

Offline Bassiecore

• Ork Boy
« Reply #158 on: May 30, 2011, 06:48:24 AM »
@AoD: Wow, that thing is amazing, im liking the skullface, any chance of a tutorial on how to get that weatherbeaten white look?

In other news, im back! all but one of my exams are over now so i can give more attention to running this thread and painting my toy soldiers :P

@Everyone who is still taking part (or wants to):
Please post something here ASAP. partly because im going to edit the title of this thread as its a bit silly calling it 8 armies when there is only 4-5 of us :P Also, because i want feedback: I have been feeling that this thread is not different enough from the monthly vow thread. This is not supposed to be like that, rather encompasing things like batreps ect which gives an idea of ARMY progress rather than just painting progress. Please let me know what you think :)

Phoenix
Formerly: {GMS}

Offline Iridescente

• Sognando sotto l'arcobaleno
« Reply #159 on: May 30, 2011, 10:21:18 PM »
Sounds like you need fresh blood in here.  I'm in!

Army: Eldar
My brother and I just recently got back in the hobby and we're trying to put together 500 point armies consisting of the battleforce box set plus HQ.

So my army right now consists of:
Farseer
5x Dire Avengers (including Exarch with PW and SS)
10x Guardians with Scatterlaser Platform
War Walker
Wave Serpent

Current Project: Dire Avenger squad.
Just playing along,
Bourhgen