News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Mikey's Harlequins  (Read 5875 times)

Offline chaplainmikey

Mikey's Harlequins
« on: February 28, 2015, 07:19:49 AM »
Hi,
Lately I've been thinking I need another non-Marine army and Harlequins fit that bill with Models that are visually different from both my current armies ( Orks and Blood Angels) but also are miles apart in terms of game play style.
So I picked up the Codex, 2 boxes of Troupes, 1 Box of Jetbikes, 2 Transports and a Solitaire.
I've assembled most of what I have (including the 3 'extra' Harlequins you get in the transport box if you choose not to mount them on the vehicle. ;) )and partly converted a Shadowseer, played a game with them as allies for my Blood Angels ( was very impressed with the damgae output and with the Solitaire), and also painted up a test model for my Masque.

I've gone for a black, green and purple colour scheme with gold as a spot colour and blue-white masks to draw attention to the model's face. Pretty happy with the result as it's fairly dark compared to traditional Harlequin schemes but I think it still captures the feel of the Harlequins unique aesthetics.

I'm hoping to get the Shadowseer conversion finished over the weekend as well as some pics of the Masque as a whole as it currently stands.

Cheers,
Mike.

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
Re: Mikey's Harlequins
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2015, 07:28:43 AM »
Gorgeous stuff! So nice to see some Harlies on the plogs boards. Your paint jobs are super smooth, and the color selection is really nice. Purple and green can look a bit jarring but the darker shades and the bright pink splash color look fantastic. I love the gold on your pistols too. Looking forward to seeing that Shadowseer conversion. Give us MOAR!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
  • Armies: Tyranids, Lamenters (BA), Eldar (Iyanden), 1k Sons
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2015, 07:37:47 AM »
I agree that purple and green are jarring, but I think that fits the harlequins really well. I'm not sure on something else though, but that may just be the pictures - which is the green and purple be too dark to contest with the spot colors.
check out my Iyanden painting blog.

Offline Wyldhunt

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2015, 12:56:00 PM »
Looks great, and i can't wait to see your conversions!

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2015, 04:18:47 PM »
I've gone for a black, green and purple colour scheme with gold as a spot colour and blue-white masks to draw attention to the model's face. Pretty happy with the result as it's fairly dark compared to traditional Harlequin schemes but I think it still captures the feel of the Harlequins unique aesthetics.

Cheers,
Mike.

I agree with you Mike your colour scheme does capture the feel of the Harlequins and I don't find it jarring at all. Your blue-white mask is particularly impressive. Nothing to do with your painting but I have to say I really don't like the pose of the model.
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2015, 04:21:08 PM »
Looks great! I like the green motley effect a lot. How did you do that? I look forward to seeing this shadowseer conversion as well... It pertains to my interests ha ha.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
  • Armies: Tyranids, Lamenters (BA), Eldar (Iyanden), 1k Sons
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2015, 07:35:51 PM »
now that the sun's no longer on my screen, the difference between the bright spot colors and the darker green and purple is already much less. Still something to be mindful of though!
check out my Iyanden painting blog.

Offline chaplainmikey

« Reply #7 on: March 1, 2015, 09:03:59 AM »
now that the sun's no longer on my screen, the difference between the bright spot colors and the darker green and purple is already much less. Still something to be mindful of though!
I think maybe the pink is a touch to bright and risks overpowering the darker colours so I'll keep it only to certain areas of the model and maybe change the colour between squads.
Looks great! I like the green motley effect a lot. How did you do that? I look forward to seeing this shadowseer conversion as well... It pertains to my interests ha ha.
It doesn't show to well on the pictures but it's actually green and black diamonds against each other. I painted the green to look like gems which was a base of Caliban green, higholight the bottom 'V' of the diamond with Warpstone glow and then another, finer highlight with Skarsnik green (I might substitute this with Moot green to get a strong colour) and a dot of white in the upper corner. The black is the same except the colours are Eshin grey, Dawnstone and Administratum grey.

Here are the Harlequins I converted using the crew from the Starweaver box and some spares from the Troupe box.

The converted Shadowseer. Now it isn't the most creative conversion but it is made from spare bits which saves me £16 and as an expecting father I'll take that. :P

Hoping to get some paint down on some more Harlequins over the week and maybe have a go at a Starweaver or a Jetbike.
Thanks for the comments, appreciate it. :)

Mike.

Offline Wyldhunt

« Reply #8 on: March 1, 2015, 02:04:59 PM »
Cool! Where did you get all your bits for the shadowseer? I think I see wych legs and what I would guess to be a wych mask. I'd love to do something similar.

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
« Reply #9 on: March 1, 2015, 02:26:44 PM »
That is an amazing paint job!  And the models are nicely made too!  I think purple and green are great space clown killer colours.  Just ask the Joker. ;)

Offline chaplainmikey

« Reply #10 on: March 1, 2015, 03:34:48 PM »
Cool! Where did you get all your bits for the shadowseer? I think I see wych legs and what I would guess to be a wych mask. I'd love to do something similar.
The legs,torso and left arm are from the Harlequin Troupe box as is the face just with the details shaved flat. The Mist Stave is a Zephr blade from the jetnike kit with the blade replaced with the prongs from a haywire blaster and Harlequin masks glued to either side. Finally the Grenade laucher thingy is from the Dark Eldar Kabalite kit.

That is an amazing paint job!  And the models are nicely made too!  I think purple and green are great space clown killer colours.  Just ask the Joker. ;)
Ha ha, exactly! :P
« Last Edit: March 1, 2015, 03:36:37 PM by chaplainmikey »