News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Making your own banners  (Read 1198 times)

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
Making your own banners
« on: October 16, 2019, 03:10:52 PM »
I've got an old space marine model with a bare banner pole (T-shaped thing). I'd like to make a banner for it, but I'm not really sure how to proceed.

My instinct is to get some nametag stickers, cut out a banner from the shape (front and back), draw on the sticker, then fold it over the T-bar, but I'm worried that will look terrible.

Do they sell these things somewhere? Anybody got any relatively easy ways of doing this (if it involves an oven or a hairdryer or some kind of resin applied with a brush, forget it).

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: Making your own banners
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2019, 06:11:37 PM »
Banners used to be foldable stickers in the early days, if you have a look at the war hammer fantasy stuff from the mid 90's you'll see a bunch of them. It is certainly the easiest way to go.

They are prone to tearing where it hooks on to the bar and look a little thin. You can bulk it up a bit with cardstock (150gsm+) and it can hold a bit of shaping. If you do use label stickers, you can print on them, so big bonus for not having to free hand stuff :)

Given the oven comment, I'm guessing you've looked at polyclays, there is an air dry clay though. Other than that magic sculpt or green stuff.

Kromlech sells a marine banner, they might have others.
http://bitsofwar.com/home/680-legionary-castellum-banner.html

also here is a blog on making your own banners without ovens ;)
1 Crafty Gamer: Banners Made Easy

« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 06:13:27 PM by magenb »

Offline Nutty

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
  • Armies: Craftworld Eldar, Imperial Guard, Tau
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2019, 04:18:37 AM »
You can get away with simply printing a banner on regular paper. If you print out a front and backside and stick those together you are left with a banner that'll hold up during regular gameplay. Especially if you cover it with one or two thin layers of PVA/mod podge: that will add a bit of strength. I've also seen people sandwich a layer of tinfoil between the paper as this allows you add some waves to the banner as if it is flapping in the wind.

A banner like that will never be super strong, but it will hold up well during regular games if you take a little care. And if you save the file you used to print the banner out.. it only takes a couple of minutes to replace the banner if need be.

If you have access to a printer there is no harm in trying; if you don't like the look you can easily remove it.

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2019, 09:14:45 AM »
If you have access to a printer there is no harm in trying; if you don't like the look you can easily remove it.

Now *this* is an idea I can get behind. Do we know of any templates I can print out? A casual search didn't reveal anything great. Mostly looking for generic marine or, ideally, Imperial Fists stuff.

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2019, 05:03:03 PM »
Not sure if this is any good to you, but see what you think. Making 40k Banners-Heresy Online
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline Nutty

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
  • Armies: Craftworld Eldar, Imperial Guard, Tau
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2019, 09:41:27 AM »
There's a nice article on FTW: From the Warp: Making cardstock banners for 40k

You might have to get a but creative if you're looking for Imperial Fist stuff.. but perhaps you can find some in an older codex.