News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Astra Militarum 1850pt Tournament List... be brutal with me  (Read 2141 times)

Offline Ryan_Brookes

• Newest
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Astra Militarum 1850pt Tournament List... be brutal with me
« on: February 21, 2019, 12:49:47 PM »
THIS POST HAS BEEN EDITED ON THE FEEDBACK RECEIVED THUS FAR

1750pt Themed Tournament List… Be Brutal

Hey guys I’m getting back into the hobby after a hiatus of over a decade. A few days ago a posted a list here and on some other places across the internet and was given some very constructive feedback. My list has a WW1 theme of massed infantry charging with fix bayonets and I’m determined to stick to that theme even if it means I’m a little less competitive at the tournaments I’m hoping to attend. I’d be grateful if you could give me some feedback on this revised 1750pt list. May thanx

The below list is organised into Two Catachan Battalions, one of which will be an Emperors Conclave, and one of which will be an Cadian Battalion. At the end of the list I’ve posted a brief description on how I’m planning on utilising each unit during a game.

HQs
• Colnel Iron Hand Straken (Catachan) 75pts
• Company Commander, Power-Fist, Las- Pistol, Warlord, Fiery Denouncer Trait (Catachan) 38pts
• Company Commander, Power-Fist, Las- Pistol, Litany of The Holy Sinod Relic  (Catachan)   38pts
• Company Commander, Chainsword, Las- Pistol, The Laurels of Command Relic  (Cadia) 31pts
• Lord Castellen Creed 55pts (Cadia)
• Primaris Psycher, Force Stave 46pts
• Primaris Psycher, Force Stave 46pts

TROOPS
• Infantry Squad 9 x Guardsman with Las-Gus, Sargent  with Chain-Sword and Las-Pistol (Catachan) 40pts
• Infantry Squad 9 x Guardsman with Las-Gus, Sargent  with Chain-Sword and Las-Pistol (Catachan) 40pts
• Infantry Squad, 6 x Guardsmen with Las-Guns, 1 x Guardsman with Plasma-Gun, Seargent with Chain-Sword and Las-Pistol, Heavy Weapons Team with Las- Cannon. (Cadia) 67pts
• Infantry Squad, 6 x Guardsmen with Las-Guns, 1 x Guardsman with Plasma-Gun, Seargent with Chain-Sword and Las-Pistol, Heavy Weapons Team with Las- Cannon. (Cadia) 67pts

ELITES
• Astopath with Las-Pistol, Relic of Lost Cadia, (Cadia)   26pts
• Ministorum Preist, Chainsword, (Catachan) Las-Pistol 35pts
• Ministorum Preist, Chainsword, (Catachan) Las-Pistol 35pts
• Ogryn Bodyguard, Ripper Gun, (Catachan) Slabsheild 45pts
• Ogryn Bodyguard, Ripper Gun, (Catachan) Slabsheild 45pts
• Platoon Commander, Las-Pistol, Power-Fist (Catachan)28pts

HEAVY SUPPORT
• 3 x Heavy Weapons Teams with Las-Cannons (Cadia) 78pts

THE BATTLE PLAN
I plan on utilising the Catachans to push forward and advance on the enemy as quickly as possible while the Cadians hand back and provide fire support

Colnel Iron Hand Straken - This unit is there mainly to buff the Catachan infantry with his ‘Cold Steel & Courage’ rule. I figure by combining this with the priest and with the benefits from the warlord, my massed ranks of Catachan infantry should become quite formidable. The Colonel is also no slouch in a fight so , in a pinch, I’ll commit him to combat safe in the knowledge that a nearby Ogryn Bodyguard will soak up at least some of the damage.

Catachan Officers  - The Catachan officers are there to advance alongside the Catachan infantry to issuie orders which I expect will mostly be ‘Move! Move! Move! and ‘Fix Bayonets!’ and  will provide a slight leadership boosts to the rank and file I will be committing them to combat as with all their various buffs frpm will each be able to dish out 5-6 S8 power fist attacks in close combat re-rolling 1’s . I’ll be keeping a Ogryn Bodyguard or two close by to help them stay alive and in the fight longer.  The officer with the ‘Litany of The Holy Sinod’ will charge into combat and martyr himself if I’m in a situation where I feel units would benefit more from the +1A and immunity to moral more than his orders. If I do buff I unit with the ‘Litany of The Holy Sinod’ I will try to ensure it’s a larger unit which has been blobbed up using the ‘Consolidate Squads’ stratagem

Creed, Kell and the Cadian Officer with the  The Laurels of Command Relic  - These three officers will hang out in my back field  and buff the Cadian Las-Cannon equipped with their orders. I plan to mostly issue the ‘Take Aim’ order, which when combined with the ‘Born Soldiers’ faction ability will allow the Las-Cannons  to re-roll the failed to hit rolls. I can then further buff the La-Cannons using the ‘Overlapping Fields of Fire’ stratagem to buff their accuracy yet further. I also could not resist the ‘Relic of Lost Cadia’ to further increase the effectiveness of the Las-Cannons. Finally The Laurels of Command Relic on the Cadian Officer when combined with Kells ‘Listen Up Maggots!’ ability  and combined further  with the ‘Inspired Tactics’ stratagem will allow him, to double buff up to four  Las-Cannon toting units per turn by stacking ‘Take Aim!’ on top of ‘Bring it Down!’

Primaris Psychers - The two psychers will advance alongside the infantry and, as my list is low on anti-tank, mostly try to position themselves to use smite on enemy armour. As a bonus, I can also use them to attempt to dispel enemy psychers. If I had the points I would have gone with a third Psycher for yet more smite but couldent quite squeeze it in.

Catachan Infantry Squads - The Catachans will form the bulk of my main fighting force. I plan to put them to the fore of my battle line and advance them as quickly as possible using the ‘Move! Move! Move!’ order. I hope to get them across the board and into combat quickly where, buffed by the characters, they will be able to inflict a lot of damage for such a modest points cost. Because I will be charging forward with these units as opposed to hanging back, it did not seem prudent to give them any heavy weapon or special weapons. With these units I see myself predominantly using the ‘Fix Bayonets’ order. Ill also use the ‘Consolidate Squads’ stratagem to save badly mauled units

Cadian Infantry Squads – The Cadians will hang back and, buffed by Kreed, Kell, ‘The Relic of Lost Cadia, ‘Overlapping Fields of Fire’ and the Cadian Officer will snipe away at enemy armour with their Las-Cannons and Plasma-Guns.

Astopath - While the two Primaris Psychers cast ‘Smite’ against enemy armour I see the Astropath predominantly casting ‘Psychic Malestrom’  in order to inflict further mortal wounds on hard to crack enemy units. I think the ‘Gaze of the Emperor’ is also a tempting power but it’s quite situational, if I could find the points, I would probably include a second Astropath. As an aside bonus, the ‘Astral Divination’ ability may occasionally be useful in countering well dug in enemy units.

Ministorum Preist - The two priests are mainly there to buff the Catachan infantry with their War Hymns ability. When combined with the buffs from other characters, it should make the mask ranks of infantry all the more effective.  ‘The Sanctimonious Charge’ stratagem is nice but it’s quite situational and generally I don’t want to commit my priests to combat so that they can go on living and buffing the nearby units.

Ogryn Bodyguard - One of the main hard hitting elements of my army are the 5 Catachan Officers with the Power-Fists.  They can dish out an horrendous amount of damage but will easily be brought down if not protected. By keeping the two Ogryns close enough to use their Bodyguard ability the Officers will hopefully live long enough to inflict some serious damage.

Anyway, thanks to anyone who read through he whole thing. Next Friday is Pay day for me so I’ll be placing an order then. I’d really appreciate it if I could get some brutal yet constructive feedback before I splash out and buy the miniatures .
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 06:55:51 AM by Ryan_Brookes »

Offline faitherun (Fay-ith-er-run)

• Armies: Pointy Ears and bugs
Re: Astra Militarum 1850pt Tournament List... be brutal with me
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2019, 02:02:16 PM »
First off, welcome to the Forum Ryan!

Now, with that out of the way, let me first preamble this that I do not play IG, I merely kill them on a regular basis...

So, first things first - I love the theme and thought you have put into this list. I think this will be a very fun army to play with and against.

Now, as you said you are just getting back into the hobby, you may not be aware of the FAQ's that have been released - most notably is the rule of 3. Excepting Troops and Transports, you can not have more than three of a unit in your army. So the 5 Company Commanders and the 6 Heavy Weapons teams will have to be cut back to three each.

But fear not! That gives you more points to play with!

My first thought it you only have one Commissar, and with that many bodies, you could use another or two. Perhaps a Lord Commi and/or the brand spanking new commi chick, who seems to just be begging to tag along with some Catachans!

As for you Warlord Trait and Relic, Fiery Denouncer and , Litany of The Holy Sinod - I don't see those.. Perhaps if you are using a non-English codex they may have a different translation....

The other big thing I would say, for tournament play, is you have a lot of bodies. I would practice being able to complete your turns very efficiently as more and more events are imposing time limits (chess clocks) and taking time into account when playing.

Overall though, a very fun list, and one that if used right, can be fairly competitive, although to be top tier it would need to compromise it's soul and soup up :)

So, what your saying is it's not your fault you look stupid by using words you don't get?
Flawless logic.

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2019, 03:09:31 PM »
If you're just going to foot slog the Scions I feel it would be much better to just run more regular guardsman if only for the better range on the normal Las guns.

Offline Blazinghand

• Warlock | Master of the Ravenwing
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Die for the Emperor or die trying!
  • Armies: Eldar, Orks
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2019, 03:29:07 PM »
One thing I'd watch out for here is the Organized Play Guidelines update released by GW in the BRB Errata: https://whc-cdn.games-workshop.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/warhammer_40000_rulebook_en.pdf

These guidelines are used by many tournaments, and place a limit on the number of a unit you can take - typically 3, for 2,000 pts. Troops and Transports are exempt from this. Since you're using 5 Company Commanders and 6 Heavy Weapons Squads, you run afoul of this limit. I'd talk to the Tournament Organizer to see if they're following this guideline that GW published
Quote from: Howard Zinn
There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2019, 09:25:18 PM »
To my mind, the problem you have here is that you have precious little anti-tank. Meltaguns are pretty terrible these days (especially on squishy infantry squads) and plasma pistols on sergeants are just as bad.

You have a god-awful amount of anti-infantry firepower, which is fine, but you are one or two Imperial Knights away from an incredible curb-stomping.

I can't personally see much call for footslogging Scions--convert them into lots and lots of heavy weapons. I'd swap out those mortars for lascannons. I'd take some tanks of some kind (I know you have a theme, but still). Worst case scenario: take a bunch of vets loaded down with plasma guns and also command squads (also with plasma guns).

Finally, there is no earthly reason for 5 company commanders. You just won't have enough viable targets for your 10 orders for it to matter much. I'd take no more than three such officers myself.

Offline Ryan_Brookes

• Newest
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2019, 06:59:03 AM »
Hey guys thanks for the feeback so far, I posted my original list on this forum and various other places abound the internet and got some good feeback, some of it contrsuctive some of it a little more brutal ;D

Based on the feedback received thus far, I've posted an updated version of the list.It's got a higher body count and packs a lot more anti-tank ability.

Let me know what you think...thanks