News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Warboss without rokkit packs  (Read 2436 times)

Offline 221B Baker

Warboss without rokkit packs
« on: September 3, 2008, 02:24:31 PM »
Well I tried the search function but couldn't find another topic on this.  How come you can't give a warboss rokkit packs?  Obviously there is no option for it in the codex, but why?  Did someone at GW deem it unfluffy, or just unfair?  I'm not sure it'd be balanced, but he can get a bike, so it's not really an issue of speed.  Is it that a warboss would never willingly strap himself into something that kills people 1/6th of the time?  That seems like un-orky cowardice to me.  I'd like nothing more than to have my stormboyz led by my warboss, but unfortunately, no dice. 

Offline Chuckles, The Space Marine Clown

• Can't Touch This; Captain; Swarmlord - Tyranid Sweatshop Operator; 40KO's Official WMD; "No American orphans, please"
  • Ancient
  • I kill, maim and torture because I care
Re: Warboss without rokkit packs
« Reply #1 on: September 3, 2008, 02:25:32 PM »
Because rokkit packs might kill the user. It's a bit of a cock to have a ~70 points model able to die because one turn you rolled a 1
The forum rules are fair and just. *twitch*

Offline Banned Solorg

• WAAAAAAAaaaaaban...
  • Orks is never beaten. only banned
    • Tellyport to the Ork Board Now
« Reply #2 on: September 3, 2008, 02:42:27 PM »
No reason you can't take Zagstrukk as your HQ, right?  Call him the Warboss - I mean, the guy has PowerKlaws for feet - if he isn't a Warboss, he's dead killy enough to count in my book ;)

I think what we're getting at is the idea of how cool it would be to have an all-Stormboyz army.  Sadly, I don't think it is possible (what would you do for Troops?)  Still, we can always dream of that great Orky WAAGHHH in the sky.
BANNED - because spamming catches up with you in the end.  Especially someone who uses a school server to host Orks and loli.

Orks iz BEST cause we were made to FIGHT and WIN

Offline Changeyname

• Mek| I gotz da loudz WAAAAAAAAAAGH! | Battlefield Orkespondent | Best Modeller | This years Dizz (I lose by choice!)
  • Ancient
  • Wolverine or double Batman.... you decide
« Reply #3 on: September 3, 2008, 02:50:08 PM »
No reason you can't take Zagstrukk as your HQ, right?  Call him the Warboss
well mostly since Zagstruk is NOTa HQ selection it'd make your army illegal for a start, he's a unit champ/sergeant upgrade
The Blackest Night falls from the skies,
The darkness grows as all light dies,
We crave your hearts and your demise,
By my black hand--The dead shall rise!

Offline 221B Baker

« Reply #4 on: September 3, 2008, 03:30:16 PM »
Plus I'm pretty sure if the warboss joins a unit of stormboyz the whole unit would roll at once, so only one model would die, your choice.  Not sure though, don't have the codex in front of me to look at the wording.

Offline Jerseyboy381

• The Jersey General
« Reply #5 on: September 3, 2008, 03:35:55 PM »
Maybe it's assumed that since the Ork hirearchy is based on size it stands to reason the warboss is the biggest Ork and thus is just too big and heavy for the pack to get him off the ground.
Everyone else is doing it so...Behold the great General's gaming blog!
Armies: ULTRAmarines!, Necron, Vampire Counts, Pure Nurgle CSM.
Work-in-progress armies:Tau, Orks, Empire.

Offline Changeyname

• Mek| I gotz da loudz WAAAAAAAAAAGH! | Battlefield Orkespondent | Best Modeller | This years Dizz (I lose by choice!)
  • Ancient
  • Wolverine or double Batman.... you decide
« Reply #6 on: September 3, 2008, 03:36:23 PM »
well the codex can't help as this isn't possible for a warboss so the entire point is moot
Zagsruk is a sergeant and hence doesn't roll separately, a warboss may join the unit but they wouldn't be able to use their rokkit packs and hence no roll would be made
The Blackest Night falls from the skies,
The darkness grows as all light dies,
We crave your hearts and your demise,
By my black hand--The dead shall rise!

Offline Andro Ist Keine Schwedischen

• Da Biggest; His Fluffiness; Warboss
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #7 on: September 3, 2008, 03:39:46 PM »
Because traditionally Stormboyz were young Orks with a discipline problem (i.e. they had it). 

Thus a Warboss, being much bigger, older and less mature would never dream of strapping himself to a rokkit like a foolish young Stormboy.  He'd much rather plant his feet on the ground and smash someone's face in with a big axe then do something as technical as fly around on a jetpack!

~Andromidius
aka. Boris the Bear

Offline Banned Solorg

• WAAAAAAAaaaaaban...
« Reply #8 on: September 3, 2008, 04:10:16 PM »
No reason you can't take Zagstrukk as your HQ, right?  Call him the Warboss
well mostly since Zagstruk is NOTa HQ selection it'd make your army illegal for a start, he's a unit champ/sergeant upgrade

Woah, go easy on me with all the capital letters and underlining, eh, Changeyname?  Ya gotta admit it's an honest mistake anyone could make ;)

I think one way to assist with a Stormboyz-type-army would be if there were some sort of Ork flying transport for the Footsloggin' Troops.  What that would be I am not sure.  I don't believe the Orks have anything like that even in Imperial Armour.  Obvioulsy, DeffKoptas would make a nice addition to a Stormboyz army - but again, this still leaves us flat when it comes to Troops.  And ah yes, the HQ as well.

Warboss with Rokkitpack?  I always wanted a Warboss in a DeffKopta myself, but to each his own, I suppose!
BANNED - because spamming catches up with you in the end.  Especially someone who uses a school server to host Orks and loli.

Offline DropFall

• Bad Moon Big Mek
  • What were all those "do not's" again?
« Reply #9 on: September 3, 2008, 11:08:34 PM »
Andromidius nailed the reason why on the head, its a fluff reason, so no to a Warboss with a Rokkit Pack.

Now as to what Solorg was saying; I always though Big Mek in Deffkopta would be a cool idea. As was the idea of having a Deffkopta Bomma filled with Big Bombs or something similar, a Deffbomma or Bommakopta...

Offline OD from TV

• Ork Warlord | Title of Doom status: pending | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
« Reply #10 on: September 4, 2008, 06:06:45 AM »
Because traditionally Stormboyz were young Orks with a discipline problem (i.e. they had it). 

Actually that isn't exactly true.  The new dex has re-formulated Stormboyz into regimented marine types.  Stormboyz were originally kultests of Khorne, and from there the fluff was re-written to be crazy loonatics who wanted to fly through the air, then to the regimented type, which in my mind was the pure Goff tribe in the first place.

Zagstrukk used to be an HQ choice, but is now a base sargent, kind of a letdown actually.  We SHOULD have jetpack Nobs and Bosses, but we don't (unless you use Blood Angel rules and the glorious "count as" frame of mind)

Peace
~OD
Truly beautiful work. That's the kind of stuff that makes a true mekanik cry tears of joy.
OD, you once again prove that your are still the freakin Da Vinci of plasticard

Offline Banned Solorg

• WAAAAAAAaaaaaban...
« Reply #11 on: September 4, 2008, 09:40:56 AM »
I'm guessing the closest you can come with a legal standard army would be 3xStormboyz (including Zag, of course) plus as many DeffKoptas as possible plus a couple of fast Troop Choices (Boyz in Trukks I suppose) and then, finally, the Warboss or a Big Mek with KFF, maybe, who would ride along in a Trukk for fun.

The KFF could speed along behind the Stormboyz and give them the benefit of the better save.  Or, if Grotsnikk was an HQ, I guess you could just have all Cybork-Stormboyz.  Cool!
« Last Edit: September 4, 2008, 10:51:08 AM by Boss Solorg »

Offline Chuckles, The Space Marine Clown

• Can't Touch This; Captain; Swarmlord - Tyranid Sweatshop Operator; 40KO's Official WMD; "No American orphans, please"
  • Ancient
  • I kill, maim and torture because I care
« Reply #12 on: September 4, 2008, 09:56:07 AM »
3 x Stormboys prevents you taking any Deffkoptas.
« Last Edit: September 4, 2008, 09:57:43 AM by Chuckles: Laugh »
The forum rules are fair and just. *twitch*

Offline Banned Solorg

• WAAAAAAAaaaaaban...
« Reply #13 on: September 4, 2008, 10:56:15 AM »
3 x Stormboys prevents you taking any Deffkoptas.

Changed my post to reflect this Orky Truth.

Offline reallifejon

• Ork Boy
« Reply #14 on: September 4, 2008, 03:50:04 PM »
Actually that isn't exactly true.  The new dex has re-formulated Stormboyz into regimented marine types.  Stormboyz were originally kultests of Khorne, and from there the fluff was re-written...

Actually...   that isn't exactly true.   Stormboyz were originally (in first ed books like 'Ere we Go and Freebooterz) young orks with no discipline.
Some of them were so radical and open to crazy, military ideas, that they would even use jump packs/rokkit packs.   But this was an option; storm-boys didn't automatically mean orks with jump packs.

In 2nd ed things were simplified and they became jump pack troops, and gradually the young and disciplined thing got dropped...   until it made a bit of a comeback recently.

Khorne's Stormboyz were something different.   They were stormboys (again, not necessarily with jump packs), who had got so into their disciplined ways, and become so disgusted by orky society, that they'd come to worship Khorne as a more appropriate entity for their affection than Gork and Mork.
They were a type of freebooter mob that you could roll up on the freebooter charts.

Offline Zomro

« Reply #15 on: September 4, 2008, 05:28:08 PM »

Thus a Warboss, being much bigger, older and less mature would never dream of strapping himself to a rokkit like a foolish young Stormboy.  He'd much rather plant his feet on the ground and smash someone's face in with a big axe then do something as technical as fly around on a jetpack!

~Andromidius

I would disagree with this on only one note: Blood Axes.  It wouldn't be too far of a stretch for a Blood Axe Warboss to have a disciplined mentality, especially considering the "un-orky" ideas they get from Humans.  Besides, he doesn't have to be a "stormboy Warboss", he'd just be a Warboss who thought it'd be a good idea to strap a rocket on his back to get to grips with his enemies faster.

Per Codex rules, yes it is illegal, but this is what Apocalypse is for.  Make up a datasheet for a Stormboy warband, or something along those lines.  And while you're at it, make Big Meks on Deffkoptas, because that does sound incredibly awesome.

And even if you don't do Apocalypse, and you want to have a Warboss with a Rokkit Pack, just make one!  Even if it's an "illegal" unit, it still sounds like an amazing idea for a conversion (along with the Big Mek Deffkopta), and it will just add to your collection.  Kinda makes me wanna make something like that.

Offline liquid

• Ork Boy
« Reply #16 on: September 5, 2008, 02:38:10 AM »
for the Big Mekk/Deffkopta I would go for a "Big Mekkopta", like not a Big Mekk in a Deffkopta but that the Big Mekk IS the Deffkopta.
Damn, I just have 3 painted units and I already want to do convertions, that's my third idea for now >_<

For the Warboss with Rokkit Pack, you can still use it as a "normal" Warboss if your opponent is ok with it.  Your unit wouldn't be used as its meant to be (by you), but at least you have a great self made unit that looks awesome in your army ^^
Think globally, fart locally.