News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Viable 750 Point Army?  (Read 461 times)

Offline Warder05

Viable 750 Point Army?
« on: December 11, 2007, 09:34:16 PM »
I'm trying to decide whether to spring for the battle force, or to just get the remaining two sets of warriors for the time being. Part of this decision would hinge on whether or not the following is a reasonable 750 point army:

HQ:

Shas'el - Plasma Rifle, Missile Pod, Targeting Array, HW Multitracker (97 Points)

Troops:

8 x FW, 1 x Shas'ui (100 Points)
8 x FW, 1 x Shasiui (100 points)
10 x Kroot Warriors, 1 x Shaper (91 points)

Elites

5 x XV25 w/ Targeting Array (+Leader, Bonded) (210 points)

1 x  Shas'ui XV8 Fusion Blaster, Flamer, Shield Generator, HW Multitracker (66 points)

Vehicles:

1 x Devilfish, decoy launchers (85 points)

Total: 749 points.

I figure when I'm ready to jump to 1000 points, I'll add a few XV88's, a pathfinder team, and either more XV8's or another Devilfish. But for now, I want t know if the Battle Force is a good idea. Otherwise, I'll just buy what I need to get to 500, and then see what I want to do.

Offline Derikari

• I Brake for Kroot
  • I gots a title! ... I don't get it.
Re: Viable 750 Point Army?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2007, 10:05:55 PM »
10 x Kroot Warriors, 1 x Shaper (91 points)

Scrap the Shaper. More Kroot are simply better.

1 x  Shas'ui XV8 Fusion Blaster, Flamer, Shield Generator, HW Multitracker (66 points)

Fusion and flamers don’t combine that well. If you want to make the most out of the flamer as a main weapon, then this suit is good as dead for very little return. For anti-tank, twin-linked fusion is better, but again he’s gonna die. If you get the twin-linked fusion (Sunforge), scrap everything else and take a target array so that his single shot has a chance to hit. But at this point, you probably could get away with just missile pods for anti-tank and keep him a safe distance away, but some heavier tanks can pop in at this point.

1 x Devilfish, decoy launchers (85 points)

Who is this for? Boost the Fire Warrior count of who ever this transport is dedicated to. Multi-trackers are also a worthwhile upgrade, letting you fire on the move.

I figure when I'm ready to jump to 1000 points, I'll add a few XV88's, a pathfinder team

Pathfinders? No, too early. They cost too much for what they’d bring at 1000 points, leave them for 1500 and above.

Offline Warder05

Have we all missed the point?
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 11:18:30 AM »
Reading around, it seems like there's only one real choice for a 500-point army:

HQ:

Shas'el - Targeting Array, Plasma Rifle, Missile Pod, HW Multitracker (97 Points)

Troops:

12 x FW w/Shas'ui (230 points)
19 x Kroot Warriors (133 points)

Total: 500 points

Right?

Offline Derikari

• I Brake for Kroot
  • I gots a title! ... I don't get it.
Re: Viable 750 Point Army?
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 11:42:09 AM »
One real choice? No. You can have a 100 point commander and 2x 200 point mechanised Fire Warrior squads and be effective. You could also go with a sniper type theme and go heavy on Deathrain suits and Drone Sniper squads and smack things from afar while taking little back. My 500 point army has a Firestorm commander, Deathrain Crisis Suit, 10 strong mechanised Fire Warrior squad, 12 strong Kroot squad and 2 squads of 4 Gun Drones, conveniently almost entirely made up of a single battleforce. I’ve yet to loose with it. Anyways, onto your list...

I’d go for 3x8 squads. For points for the 3rd ‘Ui, I’d drop the commander’s target array.

19 x Kroot Warriors (133 points)

Either get a few more points and make 2x10 squads, or cull their numbers so they can reliably fit in terrain. For points, I’d again look at the commander’s target array.