News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Eldar Corsairs, Pre-Heresy Dark Angels + World Eaters  (Read 330737 times)

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
Re: Eldar Corsair Army
« Reply #580 on: January 25, 2016, 03:00:01 PM »
Hey gang so good news on two different fronts. I finished my Balestrike Band and our gaming mat came in! Wow what a difference its going to make in game... our old board was so drab and lifeless but this one has a nice mix of green, grey and brown playing perfectly off our rocky terrain. I'll tell you this though I'm really glad my brother insisted on adding static grass, lichen etc because otherwise I don't think it would have worked!

Anyway I'm super pumped. So here are some photos

Should be getting in some games soon. Space Hulk, Battle of Calth and game 2 of IA:11 campaign are all coming up soon. So stay tuned for that. Also I'm going to pick up a whole mess of jetbikes soon for my Corsair Prince, Shining Spear/Seer Council unit so stay tuned for that as well. Alright guys hope you are all doing well and stay tuned I'll talk to you all soon!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Ibushi

• Coming to a croneworld near you
  • Armies: PEW PEW spinny death
« Reply #581 on: January 25, 2016, 03:03:17 PM »
Ah dude, love it, super pumped to see more of these in action!

The Balestrike Band came together really well, such a crisp and limited palette -- love the white bands on the single scope, and the gems.

New bike Prince model???
Check out my PLOG! Croneworld Koxinga Rises

Wet Coast GT 2015 Best Overall
TSHFT 08-15 3rd Place, Best Eldar
Guardian Cup 8.5 Best General
Attack-X Best Overall
WGWB 2015 Best Overall
Tanksgiving 2015 Best Overall

Samurai Eldar, Coming to a Croneworld Near You.

Online Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #582 on: January 25, 2016, 04:33:57 PM »
That's a seriously impressive gaming surface.  Your models and terrain look superb sitting on top of that.  I'm looking forward to seeing further battle reports featuring this mat.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #583 on: January 25, 2016, 10:33:32 PM »
Dude, that is quite fantastic. In having trouble trying to figure out how I want to equip mine. This helps a bunch.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
« Reply #584 on: January 26, 2016, 12:03:29 PM »
That is a sweet gaming table!  :)

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #585 on: January 26, 2016, 01:24:16 PM »
@Ibushi- Thanks man appreciate it. Glad you noticed the white bands on the scope. I actually gave individual details to each guy in the squad. Recovered spirit stones on their belts, combat drugs on another guy, kill markings on the barrel of one of the lances. Its something I want to do more of as I work on new units. And yep! Gonna make a Prince on bike and a big retinue of Shining Spears with magnetized options to make them a Seer Council. Should be a really fun project. BTW I heard you mentioned on Signals from the Frontline, same episode they featured one of my Infinity Commissions. Sweet!

@Dread- Thanks man. Yeah the Balestrike Band is freaking boss. IMO its a premier deepstrike unit when using Skyburner Coterie. You really don't need WWP Wraithguard when playing them... they are so cheap even with 5 lances!

@Irisado- Thank you Irisado I'm glad you like it. I'm very happy with how it came out. I was really inspired by WintersSEO on youtube who's got fantastic 3 toned terrain with armies that contrast very nicely. I should have a new bat-rep for you guys in about 2 weeks. Some video bat-reps won't be far behind as we've begun to pick up lighting. Should be exciting!

@Captain Calamity- Thanks Tangi. I'm really stoked about it. My brother's Guard should look really good on it too and stand-out a bit more than they do on the wasteland board we scratch built. My brother is the terrain master as well so expect some new pieces soon with a bit more greenery.

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #586 on: January 26, 2016, 01:39:37 PM »
As always Cav, you are producing some sickeningly nice models. It's always a pleasure reading this blog and seeing what a little bit of drive and talent can achieve. If only we could all find a little bit of drive.......and talent!

I really love the board that you're putting together as well. Some of the terrain features are just lovely, and I love the fact that you are more than willing to put the same level of detail and effort into the things your minis stand on as you do the army itself. That drop pod is frankly epic. It's the fact that thought has gone into the pose of the model, so the scenery is able to tell a very  effective story.

The mat also looks good. I'm not usually a big fan of mats, but that one looks good.

Keep up the good work!
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #587 on: January 27, 2016, 01:28:06 PM »
Hey Looshkin thanks a lot man. Really glad you enjoy the project. I'm not the best painter or modeler but I try to keep everything nice and clean and add some original details. I got into the hobby with some epic hobbyists who really inspired me.

Appreciate your comments on the terrain as well. Full credit to my brother who really helps out in that department. He tends to be the guy who gets the terrain assembled while I'm the guy who goes in weathers the crap out of everything (physically and with paint).

Glad you like the mat too. Not always a fan myself but having played on a really good one at my FLGS I wanted to have one at home... plus no more gravel falling all over the floor when I bring it in from the garage!

Anyway thanks man. I'm enjoying your project as well keep up the great work and thanks for stopping by I really do appreciate it!

Offline Ibushi

• Coming to a croneworld near you
  • Armies: PEW PEW spinny death
« Reply #588 on: January 30, 2016, 01:14:50 AM »
Wow really looking forward to seeing that death unit all tooled up! I guess for swapping out and magnetizing you just need to decide if you are going to go with a "proper" warlock/farseer look, or just do all-Corsair versions that are more ambiguous and can be both -- my vote would be to do the latter, model them up with spears and maybe swappable heads. These days singing spears and witchblades have NO difference in combat, the singing spear upgrade is just a few extra points for a shooting attack, so there is no WYSIWYG argument against just modelling 100% spears anyway. Plus they look great. My big question is how are you going to equip your bike prince? I have been going for the Ancient Treasures path most of the time to take Mask of Secrets -- it is such a nasty item. But I could see Rage Prince working out as well.

Oh yeah thats true, I made a few comments and they called me out! I met Frankie at TSHFT but Reece didn't make it which was too bad, but it was really cool to meet a lot of the peeps for the first time. Really, really glad I didnt have to table up against the freshly-painted FLG Tau army *cough-Stormsurge army-cough*, although it looks pretty amazing. Actually I dont think Frankie did very well, he seems to be much more into it playing Battle Company over Tau, but I just didnt want to play all that shooting.

Also you are in NC, wuut - I definitely assumed you were further south than that. I spent the whole christmas two weeks in Durham (mostly sick, aha), getting my stuff together to bring back to Canuckistan. Are you over in the mountains or something?! There's quite a 40k scene around the Triangle anyway.

Next weekend I'm off to NZ for a month so probably will not be online hardly at all unfortunately -- anything fun updates just shoot me an email, I love to see the new things! On my end I'm putting together two warp hunters out of converted wave serpents and the old metal fire prism crystals. Those things have just been MUDERIZING imperial knights! In the last few games they have taken out a knight in the first turn each time, it is almost too much. Plus the flamer template D-attack is actually really effective up close with the Corsair version, wounding so reliably. Anyway, I'm sure we'll see your hunter on the youtube channel soon -- looking forward to it!

Cheers

Check out my PLOG! Croneworld Koxinga Rises

Wet Coast GT 2015 Best Overall
TSHFT 08-15 3rd Place, Best Eldar
Guardian Cup 8.5 Best General
Attack-X Best Overall
WGWB 2015 Best Overall
Tanksgiving 2015 Best Overall

Samurai Eldar, Coming to a Croneworld Near You.

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #589 on: January 30, 2016, 07:28:39 AM »
@Ibushi- Hey man thanks for your comments, fascinating as ever. Great point about the spears/blades I hadn't really thought of that before. I have a bunch of really awesome high-elf spears that I've been saving for awhile that I may use for the job. The whole idea is that this unit is rocking relic wargear rescued from the vaults of the Croneworlds. Not having to magnetize the weapons would make things A LOT easier. The heads will definitely be magnetized. I'm gonna use the Hemlock pilots head for the Seers and the glass-dome heads for the Warlocks while I've got some Polish 3rd party heads which I'll probably use for the Shining Spears. Playing into the Croneworld relics theme my Prince most likely will be rocking the Mask of Secrets. I think it'll be a real game-changer in the assault phase and should help keep guarantee some victorious combats. Fearless is awesome as well. I won't lie I'm super stoked about this combination... modeling up an Autarch on a bike will be awesome too. I love my Dark Eldar second in command and will push to make this guy a standout as well.

I wish you had gotten to tangle with Frankie! That would have been so legendary man I think you'd have the skills to beat him. To be honest though I wouldn't have wanted to play against him either. I've been following AceFace on youtube and his double Stormsurge "army" is ridiculous. Way too over the top for me. I'd play against it as a personal challenge but its pretty ridiculous at the same time.

I'm in Union County in a no-mans land for 40k  :'( :'( :'( so I was about 2 1/2 hours away from you. Wish we could have gotten in a game! Although Eldar on Eldar is wrong (even though my guys fight on Croneworlds all the time). Thats interesting about the Triangle I didn't know that. Wish I was there!!!!!

Thats awesome about the Warp Hunter... I gotta deal with my dang brothers IK next week and without my Wraithknight its gonna be a struggle. Now I'll have a secret weapon (though he's gonna nuke that thing if he can... he HATES the Warp Hunter).

Hey man enjoy NZ I'll make sure to email you if anything comes up or any awesome updates. I'm gonna try and get a few youtube videos up sometime in the next month which I'll let you and my forum buds get an early look at. If I get those up anytime soon I'll be sure to let you know. Anyway man enjoy your time in NZ can't wait to read more of your tabletop exploits. Hit me up yourself if you have any crazy revelations. Take care and safe journeys man I'll keep the flames of war burning bright for you!

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
Re: Eldar Corsairs + Campaigns
« Reply #590 on: February 4, 2016, 01:02:18 PM »
Hey guys... very new development is landing on the project log. With the 40k scene really dying in my area and in the interest of getting a very competitive "house" army done quickly that both me and my brother can play with and against I've started a Necron army!

Not only is it a good rival to my Eldar, but its an army my brother can enjoy playing with and against (his artillery can really light these guys up). I've assembled, and painted the entire 10 man squad and scarabs in just 3 days!

I really did want to have a Chaos Marines/Daemons force, but the amount of time it'll take to paint, cost of paint the age of the some of the models and just the uphill nature of actually playing the army caused me to go in a different direction.

Experimenting with the base a bit

I'm really excited about getting this army off to the races and it shouldn't take long. My brother and I are gonna both contribute to getting the army up and running and I couldn't be more excited.

Don't worry this doesn't mean my Eldar are going on hiatus because I made a brilliant discovery on ebay yesterday and a VERY cool unit will be featured on the project log very soon (the order is gonna be made tomrrow).

Also this means that following our IA:11 campaign, my brother and I will immediately pick up IA:12 and even pick up the Necron terrain to go with it. I cannot wait. Anyway guys stay tuned and hopefully you'll all enjoy the progress of seeing the Ancient Menace come to life!

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
Re: Eldar Corsairs + Campaign Projects
« Reply #591 on: February 4, 2016, 01:45:12 PM »
Damn. So you can paint things other than Eldar extremely well too. Git  ;)

Seriously though, those Necrons are really nice and clean. I guess it must be refreshing to paint something which is quite simple like Crons after the effort of having a fully converted and top level Eldar army (I know I felt that way when taking a break from my Eldar to paint Skaven!).

Would you share your recipe? I'm guessing something like Leadbelcher base, Nuln Oil wash then...layer? Dry Brush? And then details to finish.

Keep it up Cav!

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #592 on: February 5, 2016, 09:27:39 AM »
@Looshkin- Thanks man! Super glad you like them. Not the most inspired paint scheme for them, but the cool thing is I can add whole new layers of color after the whole army is painted (which I'm sure I'll do). Its a huge relief not having to do edge highlighting and what have you. I painted up most of my brother's Guard army which at times requires so much edge highlighting its ridiculous. Just look on the housing on the side armor/tracks on any Chimera based vehicles and you'll nearly faint.

As for my recipe its SUPER easy. 1st Black primer, the Leadbelcher spray basecoat (thank you GW your colored sprays are freaking brilliant)dry brush old Mithril Silver then put a black wash on. Warpstone green for the first layer of greens (and around the eyes) then little dots of Moot Green with a Biel-Tan wash. Sounds longer in type than it is in reality lol. But man is it a joy... for the characters and Lychguard I'm going to do something special perhaps do them up in all golds or something of that nature.

I've also got some counts-as ideas that will borrow from the Tomb Kings line... your project was actually inspiration to hop over to GW and check out the fantasy line for some potential stand-ins. :)

Anyway thanks so much Looshkin for your compliments. Coming from an a painting ace like yourself its super gratifying. Keep up the great work yourself I'm loving your project!

@Everybody- So guys I through down a whopping $150 on a VERY special investment for my Eldar army. This new unit is gonna be the center piece of my army and I CANNOT wait for it to arrive. My only hint is that its coming from Russia. Its not a knockoff or a re-cast but something totally new. I can't wait for it to arrive and when it does I'm going all out. So excited to share this with you guys.

Also I'm gonna help my brother finish his army as well so expect a smattering of IG stuff as well.

Also I'm gonna be playing game 2 of my campaign next week so stay-tuned for a bat-rep as well. Anyway guys stay tuned tons of awesome stuff coming down the pipe!

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #593 on: February 5, 2016, 12:13:25 PM »
Thanks for the props, but I'm going to go ahead and say that you're the one that we should be learning from. All of your work is of a high standard, I'd love to have a game against an army that well painted!

I think the Necrons, whilst simple, work because it's such a clean concept, and the little touches like the glow from the eyes, combined with a nice, uncluttered base make them all look good.

Really interested to see what the $150 went on...you have piqued my interest!!

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #594 on: February 9, 2016, 12:59:31 PM »
@Looshkin- Thanks so much man I really do appreciate it. I'd love to get in a game against you (and so many of the other forum members as well). Glad you dig the Necrons. I know they are an austere departure from my ultra-kitbashed Eldar but I think they contrast nicely.

As for the special project.... well as soon as it arrives and I get the models put together I'll post some photos for you guys. BTW do you have a project log or anything for your Eldar? I love the model pictured in your avatar and would love to see more.

@Everybody- So guys while I wait to receive my new models for my special project I decided to work on an old project that I lost steam on. These guys are my counts-as Talos squadron. Pretty happy with how they came out... they are an older conversion from about 2 years ago but I still like them. There are things I'd do differently (and will in the future) but I wanted to give them some love and finish them up... and bolster my Dark Eldar force all in one go.

Also some terrain I've been working on as well. These things have been banging around never having being used so as I sort of polish off little odds and ends around the house I decided to give them some love as well. Need to paint the rim of the base but other than that they are finished.

Another pic of the Necrons who will get reinforcements this weekend.

Anyway enjoy guys and stay tuned for the secret project its on its way from Russia!

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
« Reply #595 on: February 9, 2016, 01:19:34 PM »
Those lion things are coooool!  :o

And your necrons are as awesomely present as your Eldar!  :)

Online Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
« Reply #596 on: February 9, 2016, 02:05:56 PM »
I love the purple crystal shard terrain piece.  That looks very impressive and alien.  I'm looking forward to seeing it feature in one of your games.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #597 on: February 10, 2016, 07:07:53 AM »
@Tangi- Thanks Tangi. A bit of a over-the-top coversion/kitbash but they'll be part of a DE beastpack detachment in the future (probably a good deal down the road). Glad you like the Necrons too. It'll be great fun to practice against them and play them against my brothers guard. I dont think they are an army I'm gonna play outside the house but it'll be very nice to mix things up at home. Glad you like them!

@Irisado- Thanks Irisado. I'm really trying to grow my terrain collection so I'm glad you like them. My brother was totally against including them in the collection after they arrived (they looked a lot better on the website than they did in person) but after putting them onto a little base and blending them with some other scenery I think they look quite nice. Just recently we pulled one of our big buildings apart, splitting it into 2 pieces for re-basing and to double our terrain options so I'll be posting some pics of that as well.

Anyway guys thanks for your feedback its always appreciated. Stay tuned and thanks for stopping by there's more to come!

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #598 on: February 18, 2016, 05:13:00 PM »
Hey guys quick update before a big game tomorrow against my buddy Chris and his Soul Drinker renegade Space Marines. Sorry for the lack of updates but I'm still waiting for my big purchase from russia to arrive. So in the meantime I've been working on  comissions, my brothers Vulture gunship and terrain. My brother and I broke up our buildings re-based them and I've been busy painting and flocking them in addition to working on various other pieces. So check them out on my new mat!

So anyway really happy with how that cave piece came out. Thats my brothers project I was just the one who painted it. Really enjoying working on terrain and for those who haven't done it before I really recommend it. It really brings your games to life.

So besides that I will have a big bat-rep for you guys this weekend or early next week, most likely against Space Marine battle-company with Drop-Centurions, or perhaps all out Skyhammer which will be good and challenging. While I prefer more classic army builds, if I'm not playing against classic style armies I'd rather play against really competitive armies. After that I've got a game lined up against Space Wolves which will be REALLY competitive. I'm betting on facing Wolfen and perhaps some allied Ad-Mech which should be interesting. I've watched a TON of bat-reps featuring Ad-mech this year since discovering Winters SEO but it should be very challenging nonethless. Anyway guys stay-tuned and enjoy. Bat-reps are on the way!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 05:15:12 PM by Cavalier »

Online Irisado

• Administrator
« Reply #599 on: February 18, 2016, 05:33:44 PM »
All those terrain pieces are looking really impressive Cavalier :).  I also really like that cave with rocky outcrop.  It has turned out very well.

The forthcoming battle reports sound promising.  I really do hope that you beat the Space Wolves.  They were always my bête noire back in second edition, and I always love seeing them defeated by the Eldar :D.