News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: So I'm conflicted...  (Read 1163 times)

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
So I'm conflicted...
« on: April 1, 2018, 08:55:20 PM »
So, I think as far as most Games Workshop Enthusiasts go (and I might be mistaken, feel free to correct me), I am under the impression that there are usually one or two armies that really identify with a particular player and make him want to collect those models. It's probably nothing anyone here is not familiar with by now. I have seen collections of tens of thousands of points for one sole army, or that many points divided between a handful or so.

The problem that has halted my progress further into 40k and AOS is two-pronged.

Firstly, is it weird that most armies in the GW Range kind of appeal to me in some form? As I mentioned, most gamers focus on the armies that appeal to them most, the one that most appeals to their desired play styles. For myself, I can see myself playing just about any army depending on circumstance or inspiration, and that desire constantly shifts my interest in different directions. I don't hate any particular factions in 40k (maybe some in AoS ;)), and I try to read the lore and find them all interesting.

Second, I am torn between whether to invest into Age of Sigmar or Warhammer 40000 (want to do both, but I don't want to go crazy about it ;D). I've watched battle reports from a number of cool youtube channels rather regularly and like both games (despite AoS still needing some reformation). There are some 40k armies that I have been interested in for years now (Dark Eldar, which seem like they're finally getting their day in the sun after a while ;D and Tau Empire, and some of the pitfalls of the new codex cannot deter my will to start a force). But each new Age of Sigmar Release (Aelves, in all of their brilliance and pompous alienness :P) somewhat tests my resolve.

And now with the Sisters of Battle declaration I feel a pull back into 40k (Guess I'm stuck in limbo lol).

So my question to 40k Online is: what is the method behind your choice of army selection? How disciplined are you in your decision (ex: I am not going to collect any other army but these and tough luck for all the other armies. Or, I'll choose a handful of armies that complement the diverse play styles I want. And, I'll invest in this game system over the other or do a combination of both).

I apologize if these questions are stupid :P. Just wanted to know how other people might approach being distracted/conflicted about the hobby or if it even exist for some of you :).

JohnMaloneBooks website - Blog #3 - From Novella to Novel

- 5/5 Reader's Favorite Review!

A Sanctum of Swords: Embers Edition is coming soon w/ audiobook!

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
Re: So I'm conflicted...
« Reply #1 on: April 1, 2018, 10:56:02 PM »
The decision for me usually comes down to whether I will enjoy the play style or really enjoy the fluff.

Take the Dark Angels, for instance.  I am absolutely 100% hooked on the fluff.  There is no way in hell you would ever catch me picking up another (inferior) loyalist legion.  Son of Caliban through and through and all that jazz.  But at the same time I had always been a fan of the Harlequins and jumped on them the first chance I got once their codex was released.  Now, I'm contemplating doing up a Night Lords army.  Partially because their fluff is awesome, and partially because I think it might be fun manipulating people's leadership and really dragging them down in the morale phase.  Is it competitive?  Not even a little bit!
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #2 on: April 2, 2018, 04:04:26 AM »
I apologize if these questions are stupid :P. Just wanted to know how other people might approach being distracted/conflicted about the hobby or if it even exist for some of you :).

It's a really good question and, I think, one that all hobbyists deal with at some stage.

I think that it comes down to whatever floats your metaphorical boat. For me, that's the painting aspect of the hobby. For some, it's modelling and converting, for others it's gaming and list building.

As a painter primarily, I tend to be drawn to models that I think will be interesting to paint, which probably makes me one of the biggest hobby butterflies out there. It's rare that I paint two units from the same army back to back, but when I do, it's biggest I've fallen for the aesthetic of the army. When that occurs, I tend to pick out the units I want to paint and then try to figure out what type of army they would best fit into. It's a completely arse-about-face way of building an army, but if I try to draw up a list and then paint that list, I find it too daunting.

I think the biggest distraction comes from when doing this hobby; if you commit to a large army, at some point you invariably face burn out from that army...and something will always looks shinier, better and more fun. So I combat that by trying to focus on 1 unit at a time, whether it be building the models or painting them. Both can lead to burn out. When a new unit comes out for another army that I simply must have (Idoneth Deepkin being a prime example), I try (and often fail) to avoid making the purchase until I've achieved a few easy goals with my current force, whether that's finishing 1 unit I'm working on or maybe filling all the Troops selections before moving on. That way, often the initial urge that I have to absolutely, positively, definitely own a particular unit...fades with the time I've taken to complete my other stuff. If I still have the powerful urge, I know it's an army I actually really want, rather than just a passing fancy.

As to your particular points:

Firstly, is it weird that most armies in the GW Range kind of appeal to me in some form?

No. The designers of the model ranges are superb at what they do and as such they pretty much all have particular aspects that appeal to everyone in some way. Even if it's just the ability to paint an army however you want, like Space Marines. They could be a bland faction, but the fact their armour is a blank canvas means that you can finally own that blue/red/green/pink/grey/indigo army that you've always wanted.

Also, the background is sufficiently fleshed out now, such that there is normally at least 1 piece of short or long fiction that makes you think 'Yes. That is so cool I need to make it happen!'.

Second, I am torn between whether to invest into Age of Sigmar or Warhammer 40000 (want to do both, but I don't want to go crazy about it ;D).

Then do both. But in a responsible way. Maybe just plan on a 750 or 1000 point army in each. That's enough to get a range of units and figure out whether you actually like the army and how it paints, or how it plays.

If you enjoy the game system, but not the army, maybe move on to another small force in the same system. When you find that army that you find interesting, expand from that point.

Mad ramblings from an old man, but hopefully it just shows....you are not alone!
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #3 on: April 2, 2018, 05:06:04 AM »
It has always been the narrative and the models which have inspired me.  The first ever Eldar Aspect Warriors designed by Jes Goodwin back in 1990 had me hooked on the Eldar and reading their background in White Dwarf 127 served to confirm my passion for the Eldar race and fielding the army on the table.  The narrative and aesthetics have, therefore, motivated me to play Eldar much more than how strong the army is relative to others.

The same is true of other armies that I am interested in.  Take Thousand Sons, for example.  It's the aesthetic of the models, especially the latest ones, combined with the incredible history of how the Rubric Marines came into being, as well Ahriman's background and the fall of grace that befell Magnus the Red just because he had the audacity to tell the Emperor the truth (otherwise known as something that he did not want to hear).  These days I am actually possibly more interested in the Thousand Sons because of the models, and the fact that fewer people seem to play them, than I am the Eldar, but it is still a close contest.

Age of Sigmar, for me, goes back to my Warhammer roots and all of that is rather off topic for this board, so I won't go into the detail of that here.  Suffice to say though, my army choice follows the same principle as it does for 40K, although the quality of older models compared to older 40K models is very much open to debate.

My recommendation to you is to decide which factions really draw you the most.  There is so much material out there for 40K armies these days.  It is not solely confined to codices, so you can take a look at reputable internet sources for information and, given that you do some writing yourself, pick up Black Library books from the factions that you are leaning more towards building an army for to make sure that your choice is right for you.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #4 on: April 2, 2018, 05:25:05 PM »
Thank you guys for the great feedback :)! Nice to see that this is a more common issue than I first perceived and that I am not the only one ;D. Interesting that narrative provides so much influence in the selection of armies for some of you. I shall break out some old novels that I've been meaning to read again, and look for inspiration in fluff and paint schemes. I shall take the offered advice to heart and start with a small foundation that I can build upon further.

Gladdened to read so many wonderful hobby tales!
JohnMaloneBooks website - Blog #3 - From Novella to Novel

- 5/5 Reader's Favorite Review!

A Sanctum of Swords: Embers Edition is coming soon w/ audiobook!

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #5 on: April 2, 2018, 06:04:35 PM »
I'm conflicted right now on two armies for separate games. The hobby struggle is hard.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #6 on: April 3, 2018, 06:19:49 PM »
Different people get hooked on different parts of the 40k/AoS experience. Some people its the game, some its the hobby aspect, collecting, some it the fluff and some its a combo.

When you are in the hobby long enough you'll find the game changes over time and armies rise and fall out of favour. Long term players will generally have a favoured army, but build up a second (or more) armies for when they get bored painting the same thing over and over and ov... :) or maybe they just want to play something different for a while because the current system blows.

So nothing wrong with having multiple armies, even multiple systems. The big thing to watch out for is what's actually being played. If you can't find a game, then interest will fade. If the game is being played but only by nobz, then interest will fade. Nothing will keep you interesting in the universe like a good group of people.

I would recommend looking at the codex  fluff rather than novels as there is often a disconnect between the two and not every race has novels.