News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Need Help, Fluff Catachan army  (Read 2406 times)

Offline Kogtoof

• Mek Boy
  • WotW-Ork Elite: Mekboy with Big shoota
  • Armies: Da Orkz
Need Help, Fluff Catachan army
« on: May 13, 2014, 11:46:31 AM »
I am trying to build a fluffy yet competitive Catachan army yet I'm not entirely sure how to go about doing it. By fluffy Catachan army I figure I want to stay away from a mechanized list and having too many vehicles (apart from sentinels).

Here is what I have so far:
-Command squad (master of ordinance)
-50 infantry models
-3 heavy weapons teams
-hellhound
-2x sentinels
-Aegis line
-Imperial Knight (not sure if it will be included as it doesn't really fit the theme)

How can I turn this into a competitive list and what should I get to add to it?

Offline Slick Samos

• Que!!
  • Armies: Tau, Dark Angels & Salamanders
Re: Need Help, Fluff Catachan army
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 06:23:50 AM »
Hi Kogtoof,

I would say that looks like a nice Catachan force right there. 

Imperial Knight could fit in, esp. if you made it look like it's been fighting in swamps and jungles.  Perhaps call the Chainsword 'Treefeller' or something and try to add a tree grabber from your Ork bits :P 

Chimera based tanks are suitable for swamp and jungle fighting, so a Hellhound with it's Ignores Cover ability suits the theme quite well!

Best of luck!

Slick Samos
Play more games, paint more models...

Offline Mr Draken

• Armies: Saim-Hann, White Scars, Space Wolves, Catachans.
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2014, 11:30:15 AM »
Hey there,

Working on catachans myself, going for a bit of an extreme theme but yeah.

Id say look at the artillary, hellhounds, sentinals Valks and vendettas, (possibly with special weps teams dropping, demo and flamers fit the theme call em a marbo squad.) etc.  Personally i am refusing to include any Russes in my Catachan force, as i dont see them fitting with the jungle/swamp fighting theme.

The Knight could work, Id personally not include it, but thats just my theme.

Remember to with 7th incomeing, you arnt bound by force org, so you can build a really fluffy list around that.

One thing i am def including, and you may find useful, is snipers, get some catachan snipers and run them as ratlings, and stick some snipers in your command squads to. Really fits with the Catachan theme.

Carpe Diem Baby...

Offline Kogtoof

• Mek Boy
  • WotW-Ork Elite: Mekboy with Big shoota
  • Armies: Da Orkz
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2014, 10:38:39 PM »
I have an idea of how to build the list, I'm just not sure how to make it competitive. I mainly am relying on the 2+ cover save I get from going to ground behind the aegis but with the high prevalence of Ignore Cover weaponry im not sure how that helps too much.

I'm not too sure how unbound helps since there is no real reason for me to not use the FoC.

Offline The Black Dahlia Murder

• NRPH forever...
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2014, 11:52:35 PM »
In the old Catachan codex, they had hardly any tanks. They didn't have Chimeras at all if I remember correctly. They could only take one Leman Russ. Take a ton of special weapon squads with flamers and demo charges.