News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 9th 40kOnline UK Tournament in partnership with Bracknell Forest Gamers  (Read 47174 times)

Offline Teg

Re: 9th 40kOnline UK Tournament in partnership with Bracknell Forest Gamers
« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2009, 06:29:05 AM »
I also vote we ban anyone who has less than 342 posts on the basis that they're not an active member of the forum! ;D
Just because DADentitist and I got the first two places... ::)

Offline small_furry_spider

• Council Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • www.small.furryspider.com
« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2009, 02:14:30 PM »
I also vote we ban anyone who has less than 342 posts on the basis that they're not an active member of the forum! ;D
Just because DADentitist and I got the first two places... ::)

....hmmm, actually is sounds like a great idea to me all things considered  ;D

Offline Sergant Alexi

• Its a funny world
« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2009, 02:49:55 PM »
I may come if I can, make a large enough army, find I am free, get transport and other complicated things (although I may be driving by then) I hope I can come!
Gari Fireguard 12th Company
500 pts
W/D/L
-

Last Game
-

Offline Jonik

• Field Marshal
  • Ancient
« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2009, 11:16:51 AM »
So did we decide on a points value? I'm definitely up for it, as it's just after my postgrad final submission deadline. I doubt I'll get much practice and painting in though...
Tolaren 23rd Grenadiers - Jonik's Imperial Guard 'Tale'
Chariots of the Dead - Jonik's Tomb Kings 'Tale'

My BfSP Dwarfs in exchange for your BfSP Goblins! PM me! I'm still looking!

Offline g00gle5

• Organisers Never Prosper
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • I would.
    • Promethean Games
  • Armies: Grey Knights, Necrons, Dark Eldar
« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2009, 09:13:47 AM »
Okay, so after our tournament on Saturday I found the 2000 point game definately lasted a lot longer than the 1500 for everyone. It did fit in two hours but it was a much tighter squeeze and I certainly found some people had to acknowledge that they would not play past turn 5.

Honestly, I'm happy keeping it with 1500, would be willing to go to 1750 but not above.

And O!nk is going to love this...

If we weren't playing random game length I would've gone 3 wins and 1 draw throughout the day and probably stood a good chance of winning the tournament. BUT because of random game length it screwed me at every opportunity it had and made me go 1 win 3 losses by the end of the day. Just to give you an overview of what happened:

Game 1: Was happy for the game to end at turn 5, went to turn 7 but I still narrowly won.

Game 2: I was masacring my opponent, he was completely against the ropes, I needed one more assault phase past turn 5 to kill his last two models but the game ended and gave him the win due to the victory conditions.

Game 3: Uphill struggle all game; draw at turn 5, draw at turn 6, then I was tabled at the end of 7.

Game 4: Win at turn 5, draw turn 6, loss at turn 7.

I accept that's how random game length goes, but frustrating it screwed me at EVERY opportunity.

Battle Reports | Wargaming Articles | Shop

Offline Shas'Oink

• Sky Ray Pimp Daddy | Infinity Circuit | Ban me, I dare you! | The Fallen didn't fall, they were pushed. | Winner of the 2008 40K Online Longest Title Competition, awarded again with oak leaves, five years and running | Now with O:nkling! | Axe
  • Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
    • oinks overambitious terrain project(s)
« Reply #45 on: October 19, 2009, 09:54:23 AM »
for the points limit, I think it will be interesting to up the limit - even just a bit, - just to have a little more variety if nothing else!!!

as for the game length thats essentially what happened to me at the last tourney! ... random game length set me off on a really bad foot in basically all of my games, which was so utterly frustrating - and demoralising.  :-\ particularly so when some of my games ended turn 5 when a 6th turn could have turned things around... (and remembering that previously games were always 6 turns!)

i suppose sometimes it bites you and sometimes it doesn't!? but last time i wondered how many others it just so happened to affect in EVERY game!?

Offline Hawaiian Zombie

• What's worse then zombies? Zombies on fire!
  • Armies: Necrons, Tau, Crimson Fists
« Reply #46 on: October 19, 2009, 01:46:16 PM »

I imagine me and Erriond will be coming (he has to be the driving be-atch). I'll chip in my vote for upping the points to 1750 for a nice change of pace, and for keeping random game length.

I might even not be playing Tau; dun dun dunnnnnn.
I'm going to tell you what I tell every Dark Angels player. Keep your awesome models and your great background, accept that GW secretly hates you and just play with the rules from the new dex

Offline Darkangeldentist

• Vagabond
« Reply #47 on: October 19, 2009, 06:07:21 PM »
I'd like to see random game length stay. I find the unpredictability helps in most games. 1500pts is the size of game I'm used to but I wouldn't mind playing larger games. However it would make the games longer. I doubt there'd be time to finish four 1750pts or larger games in a day.

I hope you don't enforce a minimum post count/membership to enter. :( I enjoyed just dropping in out of the blue. ;D

Offline Shas'Oink

• Sky Ray Pimp Daddy | Infinity Circuit | Ban me, I dare you! | The Fallen didn't fall, they were pushed. | Winner of the 2008 40K Online Longest Title Competition, awarded again with oak leaves, five years and running | Now with O:nkling! | Axe
  • Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
« Reply #48 on: October 20, 2009, 04:25:02 AM »
don't worry, there won't be a minimum post count!  :D

1500pts is the size of game I'm used to

This is the main reason why i think it will be interesting to mess with it! everyone is used to playing 1500pt games... to building 1500pt armies and facing 1500pt armies... You often know what to expect from such a force and can use good old tried and tested methods and tactics.

by messing about with the points limit it throws most of this out of the window!

besides, every tournament in the uk is 1500pts, so it would be a good change of pace if nothing else... so to speak. maybe we should go the USA route and test out 1850pts?!

Offline Guildmage Aech

• FLAMER: Ego Bigger than his Common Sense Centre | 40KO's Care Bear of Spite | Dolphin Death Dealer | 40K Oracle
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
« Reply #49 on: October 20, 2009, 05:03:53 AM »
The fact that the americans like 1850 isn't exactly proof of it being a good idea, they also add comp scoring to most their tournaments which appears to have the effect of making marines more likely to win and thats about it. Plus given that you're cramming more models onto the same size board I see it as a reduction in tactics available since having troops in the right places takes less skill if you can put your guys in all the places at once simply by having lots of them and the game turns into a boring slugging out session.

If you really want don't go above 1750 in my opinon, but 1500 isn't broken so why fix it?

And the random game length is a great ballancing rule in 5th edition, it means you can't simply sit back until you know when last turn is and kamakase swoop onto the objectives for a last turn win... because it might not be the last turn!
Rules Expert 2007 | Kijayle Commemorative Award for Acid Wit 2008 | Most Notoriously Valuable Rules Expert 2009 | Most Notorious 2014

Offline Killing Time

• Infinity Circuit | I put out on the first date | Tarrin's Sullied Cunning Stunt Double
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Brevior saltare cum deformibus mulieribus est vita
« Reply #50 on: October 20, 2009, 06:03:28 AM »
Would like to put myself down for a place now.
This will possibly inspire me to finish painting my army and actually get some games in between now and then.

No idea if I'll actually be able to make it, but at least if I put it in my diary now I can organise non-life threatening things around it.

Dizzy

Offline Chuckles, The Space Marine Clown

• Can't Touch This; Captain; Swarmlord - Tyranid Sweatshop Operator; 40KO's Official WMD; "No American orphans, please"
  • Ancient
  • I kill, maim and torture because I care
« Reply #51 on: October 20, 2009, 07:30:55 AM »
If you really want don't go above 1750 in my opinon, but 1500 isn't broken so why fix it?

Cause it's getting pretty boring and cookie-cutter?
The forum rules are fair and just. *twitch*

Offline Sheepz

• Marshal: The beatings will continue until discipline improves!
  • Ancient
  • Getting away with murder.
« Reply #52 on: October 20, 2009, 08:12:32 AM »
Once again I register interest in going, especially if it's 1750. However, usual formalities apply - travel is a killer to arrive for 9AM unless I leave the night before, it's totally not cheap and a quick glance at the hotels list puts it at £50 for the Friday night, so any travel assistance or sofa space would be awesome. I can put money towards it, but I don't fancy paying like, £80 to attend (prior to tickets and lunch).

I'd bring my Dark Angels. 1750 is more reasonable for me because my 1500 point list consists mainly of "what I thought would look nice".

Offline Guildmage Aech

• FLAMER: Ego Bigger than his Common Sense Centre | 40KO's Care Bear of Spite | Dolphin Death Dealer | 40K Oracle
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
« Reply #53 on: October 20, 2009, 08:37:57 AM »
Would like to put myself down for a place now.
This will possibly inspire me to finish painting my army and actually get some games in between now and then.

What, you play 40K? Would you like me to arrange you a demo game? :P

Cause it's getting pretty boring and cookie-cutter?

I really wanted to write "So was your mum, last night." but I won't. Sort of. *ahem*
I don't really mind either way, but I wouldn't think going over 1750 is a good idea. I think someone should just make an executive decision and tell everyone else to stop complaining! Thats what I would do.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 08:44:10 AM by Hymirl »
Rules Expert 2007 | Kijayle Commemorative Award for Acid Wit 2008 | Most Notoriously Valuable Rules Expert 2009 | Most Notorious 2014

Offline Killing Time

• Infinity Circuit | I put out on the first date | Tarrin's Sullied Cunning Stunt Double
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Brevior saltare cum deformibus mulieribus est vita
« Reply #54 on: October 20, 2009, 08:52:30 AM »
Cheeky bugger.
Yup... I've played on and off (lots of off recently) since 1st Ed RT.
Missed 3rd Ed completely. Played quite a bit in 4th, but then got very busy with work when I moved to Bristol, so I've had two games in 5th... maybe two and a half...

Don't like to turn up to the Vanguard with a half painted army (even though most of you guys don't seem to care), and I've completely revamped it since the horrible paint jobs of my original force, so I've been waiting til it's done before I come down to start collecting heads. ;)
Will stick to Heresy as my public gaming persona until then.

Offline Jonik

• Field Marshal
  • Ancient
« Reply #55 on: October 20, 2009, 03:40:48 PM »
Ok well I've just written a 1750 list, which I need another vendetta and a primaris psyker for. What's the betting that this is the list I take to the tourney...? :P
Tolaren 23rd Grenadiers - Jonik's Imperial Guard 'Tale'
Chariots of the Dead - Jonik's Tomb Kings 'Tale'

My BfSP Dwarfs in exchange for your BfSP Goblins! PM me! I'm still looking!

Offline popsical

• BANNED: Now I can't pretend to ragequit
  • Mass debating: a filthy group affair!
« Reply #56 on: October 21, 2009, 05:09:33 AM »
I think if we up the points but keep variable game length, three battles on the day will probably be more practical/reasonable.

Hymirl has a point with "if it aint broke dont fix it".

I'am more than happy to up the points to 1750, although 2000 maybe a tactical no no bearing in mind the size of ork or nid armies in 5th ed. As Hymirl says it may remove the tactical movement and turn it into an apocalypse style game on a 6x4 table.

A solution to this is to run a small trial at LGS's and see the effect. I will try a couple of games in the next few weeks and time them.

These are my thoughts and opinions.
I am no more right or wrong than you or any other.
I reserve the right to agree/disagree with anything i please, as do you.
Forums are an arena to exchange ideas, not brow beat and shout down others.
Miss-interpretation of posts is common.

Offline Shas'Oink

• Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
« Reply #57 on: October 21, 2009, 05:21:51 AM »
agreed, im going to run some tests too at 1750, 1850 and 2000...

i think hymril has  apoint about the 2000pt games though, as its something ive come across in a few of them at that level...

Offline Lorizael

• GW Shill: Infinity Circuit: Synergistic Spotter of Numpties
  • Ancient
« Reply #58 on: October 21, 2009, 07:01:35 AM »
I'm in!!! (I always discover these threads late...)
Had a blast at the 8th tournemant and I'll be fully prepared to take 1st place next time round :)

Personally I like 1500 point games. 2000 is too big, but 1750 may be nice. Chance to add some new units or upgrade soem wargear (4th tactical squad please...)

I have no issue with random game length; it's part of the current rules so it should be used.
I think the problem I have is how it interacts with the scoring system (which I wasn't too fond of).
In both 4-objective games I'd wiped out my opponents troop choices, grabbed two objectives and had several of my own troop choices moving up on the remaining objectives. Then the game ends. Losing 2 points in each game was frustrating knowing that my opponent could do virtually nothing to stop me from holding the objectives in another turn.
And with only 4/5 points seperating the top 5 players...

In respect to that I think that the scoring should be altered maybe to offer more chances for the winner to score big. If an opponent isn't holding any objectives at the end of the game and the winner has several itmakes sense that the winner should score better.

IMO. :)

Offline popsical

• BANNED: Now I can't pretend to ragequit
  • Mass debating: a filthy group affair!
« Reply #59 on: October 21, 2009, 07:19:51 AM »
I'am more than happy with the scoring system, as it kept it a total mystery to me how well i had done. I certainly didnt expect to finish in the top ten, let alone top four!  ;D

If we are going to change the tournie format, i recommend we do one change at a time. Afterall if too many changes are made it may all go pete tong!
These are my thoughts and opinions.
I am no more right or wrong than you or any other.
I reserve the right to agree/disagree with anything i please, as do you.
Forums are an arena to exchange ideas, not brow beat and shout down others.
Miss-interpretation of posts is common.