News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Well good lord...  (Read 939 times)

Offline Raven

Well good lord...
« on: July 13, 2008, 11:59:54 AM »
The fearless nerf hits orks VERY hard it seems.

Someone borrowed my orks today to use in a game, and I saw mobs of 30 orks making it into combat (yay for run!) only to be flattened completely by a handful of men. It was very very bloody.

Orks, dispite killing saaay, 5ish men, were taking erm... 15 casualties back (I'm making up numbers to be vague so I can avoid throwing rules in) and then being almost entirely wiped out due to fearless, and losing next turn, or running.

Its rather devastating.

That said, running dreadies with 4 CCW is hella fun.

Offline Gutstikk

• Infinity Circuit | Title here to be dreaded 'til further notice. Rummy's Deepstriking Pylon
  • Ancient
  • I am a Wolf.
Re: Well good lord...
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 12:50:38 PM »
I'm thinking squads of 20 will be the sweetspot. This will allow some control over how likely they are to get pasted for being fearless. Still, 30's not terrible. The enemy will be wanting to face 1 ork squad at a time; it'll be the Ork player's job to ensure he's stuck fighting 2-3.

Offline Banned Solorg

• WAAAAAAAaaaaaban...
  • Orks is never beaten. only banned
    • Tellyport to the Ork Board Now
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 02:21:15 PM »
I'm realizing that Orks will run much more easilly in 5th Edition.  A combat's winner is decided now based on wounds taken... so Orks (with their bad armor saves) will likely take more casualties in combat than the enemy.  And if Orks take a lot more, they'll suffer many minuses on their Ld roll. More than in the old edition.  Orks only stay fearless above a certain number, so Ork Units of 10 or less are pretty much goners, bordering on useless.

So yes, a small number of elites can handle Orks... assuming they can dish out enough attacks/casualties.  I think Necrons and Space Marines have the best chance of doing this, but then again, there's a lot more to Orks than Boyz.

I think that certain ranged units for Orks like Lootas will be even more important for this reason.  The enemy simply needs to be softened up before the Ork Charge if Orks are to maintain their momentum.  That's what I'm seeing so far.
BANNED - because spamming catches up with you in the end.  Especially someone who uses a school server to host Orks and loli.

Orks iz BEST cause we were made to FIGHT and WIN

Offline Ollieb

• Ancient
  • I'm only here for the beer!
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2008, 04:44:41 PM »
I think that certain ranged units for Orks like Lootas will be even more important for this reason.  The enemy simply needs to be softened up before the Ork Charge if Orks are to maintain their momentum.  That's what I'm seeing so far.

But make sure you take enough troop units so you can suffer a unit or 2 getting wiped out.
Looking for a compliment here is like looking for a girlfriend in a cemetary.  You know you will probably not like what you dig up, but you'll take it anyway.

Offline Sucker_PF3

• Grot
  • "Operate! Operate! Still time to Operate!"
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 08:39:13 AM »
The fearless nerf hits orks VERY hard it seems.

Someone borrowed my orks today to use in a game, and I saw mobs of 30 orks making it into combat (yay for run!) only to be flattened completely by a handful of men. It was very very bloody.

Orks, dispite killing saaay, 5ish men, were taking erm... 15 casualties back (I'm making up numbers to be vague so I can avoid throwing rules in) and then being almost entirely wiped out due to fearless, and losing next turn, or running.

Its rather devastating.

But you get a free pile in move before CC starts, so even if they kill 15 guys, you get to strike back with 15, for slugga boys, no nob, thats 45 attacks if you  did not charged. For shoota boyz thats 30 attacks if you did not charged. If you lose with that many attacks at S3 WS4 they you deserve to lose the squad. That being said i can see how Khorne Bezerkers could be a challenge, you just have to have your guns soften em up before you get stuck in.

O yea if you get the charge losing 15 guys sucks, but you will still have way more attacks than your opponent. Slugga boys w/ 4 attacks on the charge, Nobz with 5 attacks on the charge (better WS and str too.)

Offline Wombats

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 09:07:37 AM »
I did a test against a mate's Hard Boys. 

12 Hard Boys charging 20 Sisters of Battle with an Inquisitorial Mandate (+1A models in 2d6 once per game), Divine Guidance (Rending essentially) and Hand of the Emperor (+2S strike last). 

We each inflicted 8 wounds on each other. 

The real factor was armour saves, Boys would have done worse. 

About the same points value of units involved, mind you the Mandate only works once per game. 

An opponent rolling great on their armour saves could cause any unit of Orks to bounce.  Unit upgrades like your Klaws could account for the one or two wounds that save you taking a Morale check. 

Thought begets Doubt : Doubt begets Heresy
(Heresy begets you sent to bed with no dinner)

Offline Archaon

• Headshot, double kill, makes a man go *whistle* :D
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 04:09:00 PM »

Yeah, if you get charged by 5 assault temies with lcs and furious charge, they do like 15 wounds and you do about 2 if your unlucky. then the rest of your squad gets wiped out. I heard a bit about the in the discussion thread, and to that I would say, make sure you get the charge and soften up the enemy first with lootas and flash gitz so they cant kill so many boyz. Either that of get most of your squad killed to shooting and just take the ld test   :-[.
[This sig contains whatever you imagine it to contain]