News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: hemlock or hunter  (Read 1954 times)

Offline Thor0298

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
hemlock or hunter
« on: September 1, 2016, 03:09:20 PM »
If I can find an ork player locally to split cloudattack I will be making one flyer.  I think for a solo flyer the hemlock might be a bit better.  Anyone have any opinions on either?

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
Re: hemlock or hunter
« Reply #1 on: September 1, 2016, 03:31:37 PM »
It would really depend on the meta of your local gaming group.  If you play against a lot of flyers, then I would recommend the Crimson Hunter as it is one of the best anti-air fighters in the game.  Having Vector Dancer means you can really ensure you always have your guns on the enemy flyers while avoiding their return fire.

If not, then the Hemlock is much better at all around support.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #2 on: September 1, 2016, 04:59:04 PM »

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #3 on: September 2, 2016, 08:12:23 AM »
It sort of depends on what you need. Myself when I take a flyer its for AA purposes, with ground support being the second option (now more than ever with the new flyer rules). An incredibley fast d-slinging option is nice, but Eldar firepower is overwhelming as it is, more ground assault firepower is almost redundant, despite the speed of the platform. I'd say go with the Crimson Hunter... though I truly prefer the Nightwing  8)
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline spunkybass

• Uh-oh, I'm starting a new army. Again.
    • Spunkybass Place 3.0
  • Armies: Imperial Guard, Thousand Sons, Eldar, Ravenwing
« Reply #4 on: September 6, 2016, 05:09:02 AM »
If you can have only one, go for the Hunter. It's by far the best fighter in the game, it doubles as an effective anti-tank platform, and it's much cheaper too points-wise, even with the exarch. Standard pulse laser + bright lance + exarch works wonders.

Having said that I've been using only the Hemlock in the past few months. The combination of two D-scythe blasts + mastery level 2 + psychic powers makes it a strong choice. Then again, my current army's anti-aircraft role is filled by Dark Reapers and Swooping Hawks. So it depends I guess.
Legio Malaysia member since 2008
Spunkybass Place 3.0

Offline sunstrider

• sometimes you just need a little more gun
  • Armies: Craftworld Eldar, Blood Angels
« Reply #5 on: September 6, 2016, 09:57:04 PM »
Having said that I've been using only the Hemlock in the past few months. The combination of two D-scythe blasts + mastery level 2 + psychic powers makes it a strong choice. Then again, my current army's anti-aircraft role is filled by Dark Reapers and Swooping Hawks. So it depends I guess.

This is basically what I was going to point out. I believe we have the only flyer that has psychic mastery (and 2 levels at that). It's not to be overlooked.

Compound that with how effectively the dark reaper and swooping hawk aspects handle flyers and I'd say it's a more than viable choice

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #6 on: September 6, 2016, 10:25:47 PM »
They are both situational as in it depends on what the rest of your army looks like and what you are up against. If you are up against the Ork player you are splitting the box with, then Crimison Hunter is going to be a solid choice to take out his flyer, unless you have some good AA in the rest of your army anyway.

Tank hunting with the CH has taken a bit of a hit, you'll see that when you read through the new rules for flyers.