News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: How do I resist bolter shots with warriors, wyches and warp beasts please help  (Read 1191 times)

Offline shmee shmee

• I love the smell of napalm in the morning
 The title says it all  ???
it was harry...

Offline Lomendil

• Mad Prophet of Commorragh
  • Ancient
  • If it's comprehensible, it's obselete
1. Use cover

2. Stay out of range or Line Of Sight

3. Hide units in the Webway so they can't be shot

4. Kill anything with bolters

Offline Ollieb

• Ancient
  • I'm only here for the beer!
Other than Grey's replies, which are DE 101 I'm not sure exactly what you are asking here.
Looking for a compliment here is like looking for a girlfriend in a cemetary.  You know you will probably not like what you dig up, but you'll take it anyway.

Offline shmee shmee

• I love the smell of napalm in the morning
 Should I transport all my troops in raiders
it was harry...

Offline ArchonCryx

• Dracon Author of long replies
  • Ancient
  • Dracon: Kabal of the Bloodied Claw of Despair
Probably n ot - Raiders die too easily to mass bolter fire as well! Your best bet is to use cover and speed. Hide behind area terrain like forests and dense ruins. If you arent using at least 25% terrain then you're depriving yuourself much chance.

Attack up a single flank, thus limiting half his army who are out of range. Hide in cover, then when he gets too close (ie, about 19" for Warp Beasts and Drugged lords, and Wyches who get lucky) pounce with the fast stuff! When he's within 18" you can get your reavers and Hellions in. Remember fast troops tieing up combat both stops the participants from shooting bolters but blocks LOS for any behind as well.

Wyches and Warp Beasts need to get into assault asap. If your wyches have no Raider and didn't getthe 12" charge, will need to start in cover and walk through difficult terrain. remember fleet ignores difficult terrain and that the Wyches have an average charge distance of 15.5" so only need to cover 8 1/2 inches in their first turn to close a 24" gap. Remember if the marine player moves forward, this closes the gap further. You shuld ALWAYS try to charge your wyches in if an opponent is 16" away in open ground, or 12" if you need to cover a few inches of difficult terrain. For warp Beasts and Wyches with 12" assault this becomes 22" for open ground or 18" with a few inches (<6) of difficult terrain at the start, shorten another 2" if theres difficult terrain at the end (as the 12" charge is quite suceptible to losing distance in difficult ground). That's still 18"! Remember too, a foot Archon can also do this. He can also hop on a raider (say you can deploy it cpompletely hidden, and the squad is <10. He joins them in deployment, then they move 12" forward, the lord seperating from the squad and disembarking 2" He can still FoF and use the 12" assault drug - making a first turn assault absolute childs play!

SImilarly Hellions and Reavers can assault 18" and always should (Reavers only NEED charge if equipped with a PW/TH Succubus.)

Speed is you friend - use it. Keep to the flanks asa much as possible, limit his LOS wherever you can. When taking a DL shot with an empty raider, see if you can find aposition where the ONLY thing to see the raider isit's target! Thus if you blow it up you can preserve the raider! Use area terrain to hide behind by staying behind the piece, or at least >6" within it. Remember grab cover saves wherever possible. A ruin or Bunker offers much better protection than our puny mesh armour. Even a forest does better cause it still saves vs Bolters!

If you have an opponent who likes to move forward, it might be worth holding back a turn then just charge him - he wont expect that. You can deploy deep, and so long as your well hidden he might nort do a lot of damages, particularly with marcing marines. Then you surprise him by charging hi from 15" away!

Alternatley, this can workwell if you get turn one and using a flank approach. Move your fast tuff up the front, boosting Reavers are great for this (although dont bother with a Succubus u/g for this squad) while Hellions, Warp Beasts, Foot Archon, and Raider squads make up the fast element, with wyches and foot warriors bring up the second wave, and finally the Talos and maybe deeply deployed units make up the backup wave/counter assault element, mop up crew.

I hope thats a help...
"As a rule of thumb, the designers do not hide "easter eggs" in the rules. If clever reading is required to unlock some sort of hidden option, then it is most likely just a result of wishful thinking." Pete Haines   ;)

Lords of Terra (Open) +High Lords (invitational)- Sydney July 24-25 2012, 1750pts, check lordsofterra.com

Offline JaedenKaal

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Archon, Kabal of the Black Contagion
Add nightshields to your Raiders if you're afraid of bolters.  Sure, its 15 points, but there's no way in hell they'll be shot down by a million bolters until they're already empty.
Scream, mon-keigh!  Scream for your emperor!  He cannot hear your cries, cannot save you from eternal torment at the hands of my haemonculi!  Which reminds me...  I need new bedsheets...

Offline dawn of war

• Hellions forever
Yes i agree with the above night shields do help allot but if you want to get in really close and personal use cover dump your raider and have a pop shot with your dark lance and get the raider out as soon as possible for victory point purposes and even if it is destroyed that is 55 pts for a squad of Marines.
Rule Britania three monkeys on a stick
one fell of and broke his..........

Offline The Spaceman

• Zap
Hi all

My answer to this problem is rather obvious. Get more warriors. Don't start spending more points on fancy pieces of wargear. This will mean that you then have fewer warriors.

Think about it this way. The DE statline is about the same as a guardsman. They rarely start a game with fewer than 100 troops. So I recommend at least 5 or 6 10-15 man warrior squads in a 1500 pt game. Then add in beasts and wyches bringing the total up to around 80 min.

Expect to lose between 10-20 per turn. If you are advancing stay behing cover (not in). If you are going to stand and shoot then stay in cover.

You advance troops should be in CC by turn 2 at the latest. Use fleet of foot and sacrifice shooting if you need to.

the spacceman
To those who say it can't be done.
I just did it.

Armies
Black Templar 2500pts
Orks 3500 pts
Imperial Guard 3000 points
Dark Eldar 3000 pts
Blood Angels 1500pts
Chaos 1500pts

Offline Grey Area

• !gnimoc era yeht
use more warriors to shield your expensive squads and as little as one three-man grotesque squad could hold off enemy fire ;)

Offline Mahahelel

• Grotesque
The best way to resist fire for wychs and beasts is too stay in close combat. The best way for warriors is to use a cover save. Remember warriors and beasts are expenable, wychs are not. Always keep your wyches in combat and pray that an ordance weapon doesn't scatter onto them.
To absent friends...
Pfc. Nicholas J. Greer Oct. 7th 2005 C Co. 3/504 PIR 82nd
Sgt. Eric A. Fifer Oct. 7th 2005 C Co. 3/504 PIR 82nd
Sgt. Charles Wyckoff Jun. 6th 2008 C Co. 1/508 PIR 82nd