News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: That White fog caused by superglue on clear GW plastics  (Read 1579 times)

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
That White fog caused by superglue on clear GW plastics
« on: November 12, 2017, 09:02:24 PM »
Anyone found a way to remove the white fog caused by supergluing the clear plastics GW use on tanks? (without damaging it) I'm starting to pull out some of my old things I want to tidy up.

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
Re: That White fog caused by superglue on clear GW plastics
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 05:44:35 AM »
Before you glue more clear plastics don't use super glue. Use the plastic glue. Testors I believe also makes a plastic glue specifically for clear plastics as well.

As for fixing it I would think some clear coat varnish would would hide it. You can put a matte finish varnish in top of that if you don't want it shiney.

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 07:29:12 AM »
Not sure if there is a way. You could put some 'ard coat + a colored ink over it to tint the window and that'd hide it pretty good. Ninja nailed it. The testors glue is probably the best way. I use good old Elmers but the Testors is probably best.
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 02:51:18 PM »
Before you glue more clear plastics don't use super glue. Use the plastic glue.

Yeah I use Revell glue these days, it basically a stronger version of GW current glue, but back in the day I used super glue as most of the range was metals.

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 07:22:29 AM »
G'day Magenb!
I still use super glue and have always avoided that problem. I paint the inside black, nowadays, so it's really not an issue. However, back in the day, I would only put a couple of dabs on the edges. Not the entire edge.

As for clearing older models, mate... I really don't know. I would paint the outside of the canopy, (whichever colour you're happy with), then varnish over it. Have seen your painting skills, mate. You could easily paint a shine on it to look like the sun reflecting... Be well!     

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2017, 03:23:29 PM »
G'day Magenb!
I still use super glue and have always avoided that problem. I paint the inside black, nowadays, so it's really not an issue. However, back in the day, I would only put a couple of dabs on the edges. Not the entire edge.

As for clearing older models, mate... I really don't know. I would paint the outside of the canopy, (whichever colour you're happy with), then varnish over it. Have seen your painting skills, mate. You could easily paint a shine on it to look like the sun reflecting... Be well!     

Super glue is handy for metal and resin models, I've stopped using it for the normal GW plastics. The GW glue is OK in a pinch, but I find Revell gives as stronger bond and it is easy to get hold of as most hobby stores here stock it as Revell also make model car/aircraft etc. I've also never had the fogging issue with it.

I actually paint the pilot and cockpit, so I like to keep it clear.