News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: (first/intro post) Me and my little cadre...  (Read 1652 times)

Offline Doran_suam

(first/intro post) Me and my little cadre...
« on: August 3, 2007, 09:32:44 PM »
Sha'is'nan M'yen Lissera
Swordwind: Cadre of the Unforeseen Union

... My first thought on reaching my newly assigned post was that this would be a reprieve from the rigors of my last station,
so near the violence of the Empire's expanding edge .   After over a year of constantly fighting all manner of the Empire's enemies, the cadre was sorely in need of some rest, so it was no surprise that the Shas'la all believed that this assignment had been given to us as a reward for our previous part in the Third Sphere Expansion.  Little did any of us know that this place would host our most sore trial to date...
~An excerpt from the personal journal of Commander Calmfire.

Assigned to act as a defense force for an Earth Caste industrial facility located on an arid moon along the outside edge of the Tau Empire, it was clear to all that this small cadre's role would be little more than an honorary one.  The likelyhood of an attack reaching to the far side of Tau-held space to strike such a small, albeit mineral-rich, moon was very slim.  Unfortunately, it was exactly this belief that led to the cadre's near-total destruction when a Tyranid splinter-fleet entered the system via it's outer-galactic edge not more than a month behind the cadre itself.  Being nearly one-third the size of a standard planetary defense force, the cadre was far too small to adequately operate in defense of the entire moon, so the main defense occurred around the most major of the moon's facilities. 

The defenders fought fiercely for more than a month against wave after wave of the unending alien swarm, but slowly the cadre's precious core of Fire warriors was depleted.  Every casualty, every injury, tested the defenders more than the one before as the remaining Shas'la were required to add the burden of their fallen compatriots defense responsibilities to their own. 

A potential reprieve came when the facility's Earth Caste leader, Fio'el Ol'ro, came to the cadre's commander with a proposal to bolster the ranks with volunteers from the Fio'la workers at the facility.  The cadre's Shas'o was obstinate in his refusal, saying that only those with the blood of the Fire Caste were worthy of the honor of combat, and ignored the pleading and reasoning of his second-in-command, Shas'el Doran'suam, to accept the offer.  The Shas'o stubbornly maintained that the Shas would hold, despite mounting evidence to the contrary.  Then, mercifully, while he was leading a tactical strike to eliminate several of the Tyranid's larger leader-beasts, the Shas'o was slain, leaving Shas'el Calmfire in command of the remaining defenders.  Calmfire immediately accepted the offer of reinforcements and set about to having the new Earth Caste volunteers given rudimentary training and equipment, but it was quickly seen that even with these added Fio'la, the numbers were still insufficient to continue to hold against the growing Tyranid threat. Something else would have to be done if the Tau were to survive the invasion.

While observing the repairs being made to several of the cadre's battlesuits, a solution was stumbled upon when, after watching the multitude of various repair drones in their work, Engineer Brightmind absently commented to the commander, "What you need is more...drones."    A heartbeat later, the inspiration of his own statement hit the lead engineer with the force of a pulse round.  The moon had all the facilities for manufacture that could be wanted, and was originally settled because it possessed a large amount of mineral and other resources.  Why, if they wished, the defenders could have a near endless supply of automated combat drones without any need for resupply from off-world.  Once proposed to the commander, the problem was put forth that the current gun drones which were standard for Tau combat forces were very limited in their battlefield role.  The facility's designers set to work immediately, drawing up plans for a variety of new combat variants on the standard gun drone.  The first, and most sorely needed of these were the Firewind class. 

click for a larger image
These were designed to replace the fallen members of front-line Fire warrior teams, and so were equipped with pulse rifles, advanced targeting firmware and an upgraded AI system.  Due to the limitations of even the drone's upgraded AI, each of the new variant drone-types would have to be led into battle by an actual Fire Caste member augmented with a specialized version of the standard drone controller.

The next variants to be designed were the 'Little Hunter' drones, intended to replace lost members of the cadre's Pathfinder teams.

Also equipped with an upgraded AI, these smaller drones were fitted with a single pulse carbine and a markerlight designator.

Standard sniper drones were also modified to act as replacements in XV-15 and XV-25 stealth teams.

The new 'Stealth Drones' had their original rail-rifles replaced with an XV-25 burst cannon, as well as being equipped with the new AI and targeting firmware.

Having the resources to maintain the cadre's existing XV-8s nigh-indefinitely or even build many new suits but lacking the experienced pilots to operate them,  the next drone-type drafted was the Swordwind class.  This type proved to be so effective in it's role that the cadre was later renamed after this class of drone.

Intended to be a replacement for missing XV-8 battlesuits, the Swordwind was given a vastly improved set of AI and targeting firmware, and outfitted to receive the same weapons fielded by the XV-8.  The Swordwinds were even given the ability to employ a standard drone controller in the same way that Fire Caste Shas'ui themselves did.

The last variant proposed and built during this initial phase of the cadre's rebirth was the Greatwind class drone. 

These heavily armored, rail gun equipped drones were intended as alternatives to the XV-88 Broadside battlesuit, and were given the same firmware enhancements that the Swordwind class drones received.

These new drones were added to the Tau's defensive lines almost immediately after their construction, and augmented the bedraggled defenders more than anything yet to this point.  Although the new networked intelligences that the new drones used were stable by themselves, the defenders soon realized that when multiple networks operated in close proximity to one another they all experienced conflicts and errors that occasionally forced the drones to fall back on their individual AI programming.  In an effort to counter this,  Engineer Brightmind had his Fio'la construct a small anti-grav skiff outfitted with the equipment to control the drone networks in real time while on the battlefield, and proceeded to join the defenders on the line.  Those Fio'la that had previously volunteered to become combatants quickly began to act as Brightmind's personal bodyguard on the battlefield, employing their individually crafted pulse weapons to keep their beloved leader from harm.

With the new reinforcements and the promise of assistance from their Septworld, the cadre resumed the defense of the moon with renewed vigor.

::Hey all!
I'll have to apologize for the great length of this post, and hope that you'll all forgive me, it being my first on the forum and all. ;)
As you can see, this cadre is a current work-in-progress and many units that I have planned (and some even purchased) have yet to be build, let alone primed or painted.  I'm working diligently, but the progress is slow due to the intensive time involved in converting most of the models, and that is without mentioning the need to wait until I can acquire the many  bits necessary for even the smallest of them.  Hopefully (assuming I won't be hung for the length of this thing,) I'll be continuing to post updates as things proceed.  There are actually more photos of some of the less 'creative' units from my cadre in my photobucket album located here. http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/bb53/Doran_suam/

Please, any comments, criticism or suggestions are not just welcome but WANTED.  I am always looking for ways to improve my hobby skills and for new avenues of inspiration, so if you feel the urge to speak then do so. :)
I look forward to continuing to learn from the people here dedicated to furthering the Greater Good, and only hope that I can contribute in return.

Hail the Fightin' Fio!
~Doran'Suam, Swordwind Cadre Commander
« Last Edit: August 3, 2007, 09:58:45 PM by Doran_suam »
"What you need is more... drones."
~Fio'el Ol'ro

Offline Sanctjud

• No one cares about Sanctjud's post count | Infinity Circuit
  • Absolute Chaos and SOLAR PUPPY
Re: (first/intro post) Me and my little cadre...
« Reply #1 on: August 3, 2007, 10:39:01 PM »
VERY COOL

I've been converting my Tau too, but the 'drone' army looks very good, models/painting look crisp and clean.

The Battle Suits I've been working on are ... drone ish, more like wounded Tau in modified drone suits......kinda like a Tau dreadnought.

Again, Very cool.
If you meet a bear named Sanctjud in the tavern, don't get into his van for candy.  I did once....it's sticky, salty, and really not very nice. :(
Raptor Jesus will get you Tangi... oh he will.

Offline Rudkin

• Fio'ui Kais
  • Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #2 on: August 3, 2007, 11:02:36 PM »
Welcome!

I have to say... wow. You have some fantastic models there! I'll admit I didn't read all of your fluff (sorry; it was long and I am tired), but what I did read fit well with your conversions.

A few points and questions:

I like your painting. The few models that you have done are very nice. I'd texture (and paint) your bases; they'll really make your models look that much better.

Some of the extra kit on certain models (like some of your XV25 conversions) seems to be a bit much. I find that most conversions benefit from the idea that "less is more," but that boils down to personal preference. (An old member, Greydeath [where did he go, anyway?], tended to add a lot of stuff to his conversions; it often made them too 'busy' or 'cluttered' for my tastes.)

Your "Ethereal and Bodyguard" look interesting (and fit nicely fluff-wise), but I think they are the models that could use the most work. Some of the areas need smoothing out (namely where some parts connect). One of the wrists I noticed in particular.

The drones look very good. I too had the idea of using drones to replace various models (the XV88 in particular), but I think you did a better job with it than I would have. I tip my hat to you.

I would really like to know: what did you use for the larger drones' "caps" (the "XV8" and "XV88" ones)? That was my biggest problem, and I never came up with a good solution.

~~

Again welcome, and keep up your good work! Converted armies are always a lot of fun to see, especially ones as striking as yours.

EDIT: Beaten to the first response!
« Last Edit: August 3, 2007, 11:06:14 PM by Rudkin »

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #3 on: August 3, 2007, 11:05:43 PM »
Welcome to the Greater Good.

In counter point to my short attention span colleagues, long fluff = good. Keep it up.  :)
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline web ghost

• Lookit me! I did something useful!
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • "Beware of this and that" -Edward Gorey
« Reply #4 on: August 5, 2007, 05:46:43 PM »
Great!  well executed conversions with good fluff to support them.  I love the drone army idea.  It must be difficult to chop up crisis suits and such and use the parts for...drones.  Kudos for having the, well, balls.  Neat idea on the earth caste auxiliaries and their conversions are nicely done as well.  Drone mastermind Etherealesque floaterator dude is cool too.  My favorites are the stealth drones and the XV-88s. 

I quite liked the stuff in your photobucket as well.  Nothing creative in there no :P.  though I do agree that the XV-25s might be a bit over the top.  only the jetpacks though IMO.  love the rail rifle one. 

Welcome aboard.

later WG

Offline Shas'Oink

• Sky Ray Pimp Daddy | Infinity Circuit | Ban me, I dare you! | The Fallen didn't fall, they were pushed. | Winner of the 2008 40K Online Longest Title Competition, awarded again with oak leaves, five years and running | Now with O:nkling! | Axe
  • Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
    • oinks overambitious terrain project(s)
« Reply #5 on: August 6, 2007, 04:24:32 AM »
a great example of what the rest of us should be doing with our cadres!

a nice background thread which explains about your cadre is a great introduction! i love background... and read it all through making me horribly late for work - oops - i should realy go now. keep it up and i will look forward to seeing more of your stuff.

Offline Doran_suam

« Reply #6 on: August 6, 2007, 08:30:13 PM »
Thanks everyone.   I've got a few other units built, and have begun again to get things all painted so there should be more pictures coming soon.

Rudkin,
My thanks for the honest critique.  I'll have to disagree with you on the XV-25s, but I fully recognize that these are a little 'busy' for some peoples' tastes.  Nothing wrong with that.
Good call on the Earth caste models.  It's been awhile since I put these together and my initial conversion efforts did not benefit from any GS patching, as I had not yet overcome my fear of the stuff.  I'll have to go back and patch those up.
I've got a few more painted, and I employed some of GW's modeling sand to give their bases some texture and color.  I think that it came out well, but I'll have to wait until my wife brings back the digital camera from her trip visiting family before I can get some pictures up.
As for the drone-tops, I used a Lego piece.  Being a former Lego fanatic, when I first began embarking on this little adventure I was also really confounded by what to use for larger drone bodies.  I needed something that carried the same shape and style as the existing GW ones.  After some searching and lots of failed ideas, I stumbled across some of my old Legos and lo and behold!, there was a large radar-dish piece that fit the overall shape exactly.  I had to do some work with green-stuff to fill in the empty space beneath and the open areas, but I feel pretty good about how they worked out.
The sad part of this is, I can't seem to find these pieces on Lego's website anymore.  I ordered several of them for these conversions a couple years ago, but now I can't find them anywhere.  I guess my cadre's only going to get two drones larger, as that's all I have left from my initial order. ::sniff::

Dipso/Web Ghost/Oink,
Thanks for the compliments on the fluff.  I was concerned that too many people wouldn't want to have to wade through all that, but I feel that it helps to have some explanation and backround for all these conversions.  I mean, the 'fluff' is half of the reason that I play 40k and not some other wargame...
Hopefully I didn't get you into trouble, Oink. (Although I would say that's a rather complementing sort of outcome. "I made a guy late to work with the fluff I've written.  What have YOU done today?")

Dipso,
The TL-RR equipped XV-25 in my photobucket album is actually built from the left-overs of building the stealth drone team.  I had to get an XV-25 team to get their Shas'ui team leader and two BCs, and I needed a box of the Sniper Drones to get the bodies and other bits, so when I was all done I had two XV-25s and two unused RRs.  I intended him as a new unit, and have been working on some rules and stats for him, but I'm sure you all know what a pain it can be trying to get your opponents to allow the use of 'home-brewed' units.  ::sigh:: It's been suggested that I use him as a TL MP crisis stand-in, so I have him magnetized to a large base, but I still am not totally satisfied with that option.  Any ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated...
When I started this project, I had already been collecting Tau from their beginning, so I had TONS of crisis bits just lying around unused (this was before the days of 'pinning' and 'magnetizing' the weapons).  The first time I had to actually buy an XV-8 box just for 'spare parts' was a bit painful, but I feel satisfied with the results thus far.  I'm always looking out for more bits, however, so if you know of anyone... ;)

As for more to come, I've got two tanks, a piranha, a Swordwind, a Greatwind, an XV-8, and who-knows-how-many more FWs, Firewinds, and Fio'las to build, so there will definitely be more.  Just as soon as I can get around to painting and building it all...

Hail the Fightin' Fio!
~'Suam
~Fio'el Ol'ro

Offline web ghost

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #7 on: August 6, 2007, 08:56:39 PM »

Dipso,
The TL-RR equipped XV-25 in my photobucket [....]

...you've confused me with Dipsomaniac.  Our only similarity is that we are both drunk all the time.

Modly ninja edit  - We're also old so apparantly we old people all look alike. - Rummy

Yeah I kind of figured that that thing came about from making the stealth drones.  I love it though.  Twin linked missile pod crisis suit?  there's got to be something better than that.  hmmm.  off the top of my head:  Shadowsun 'counts as'?  they look more like fancy fusion blasters than missile pods.  what they really look like though, is rail rifles :P.  ...how about giving it a regular sniper drone and count it as a sniper drone team.  the XV-25 with RRs would count as two drones and the spotter and the third drone would make the team.  the increased BS from the spotter would make sense.  kind of lame I guess.  that thing needs to be jumping all over the place.   but it wouldn't be too far of a stretch considering how it is armed.  I'll try to keep thinking on it.  thing needs to be used.

I know how you feel cutting things up.  I had to thrash several XV-25s for some conversions and it hurt; along with cutting up various weapons and nice bits.  I'm a convertaholic as well so if I find any spare bits...I'll be sure to keep them all for myself. ;)
keep up the good work.

later WG
« Last Edit: August 6, 2007, 10:09:06 PM by Dipsomaniac »

Offline Doran_suam

« Reply #8 on: August 6, 2007, 11:21:26 PM »
Hah!  Sorry about the confusion there WG.  I was reading all the replies from newest to oldest courtesy of the 'reply'-function's madness.  Won't happen again.

Another convertaholic, eh?  I'd love to see some of your stuff, if you'd be willing to throw me a link in the right direction (just toss in into a PM or an email).

~'Suam
~Fio'el Ol'ro

Offline Werwolf Traitor

« Reply #9 on: August 7, 2007, 04:01:21 AM »
Welcome new one, very nice army you got there!

Offline web ghost

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #10 on: August 7, 2007, 01:26:25 PM »
Not a problem. 

thoughts for RR XV-25 there (don't know if we're getting off topic or not):

can't find the right legos to make more XV-88 drones?  Need more heavy support?  What does every drone happy army need?  Right, sniper drones.  What does every fire caste lacking, sorely depleted Tau army lack?  Right, spotters. 

Just an idea.  get a bunch of sniper drones.  the 3 per HS slot option.  use the RR XV-25 suit as the master spotter or some such thing.  fluff wise he could control the other teams -as resources are low and your cadre can't afford to waste any precious fire warriors as spotters for sniper drone teams.  you could design a spotter drone for the other two squads.  sort of like a command drone which links to the XV-25.  this way you could use the RR XV-25 as it is equipped and add in a bunch more drones. 

problems:  your very dynamic suit would basically be just sitting there for the entire game.  Wound issues.  it would basically have to have three wounds (two drones and spotter) but nobody shoots much at sniper teams anyways.  Wasting spotter models.  just a thought. 

later WG