News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 228 Points left to spend in a 2000 point list- Suggestions?  (Read 616 times)

Offline Banik

• 5th Ed Record: W15-L3-D3
228 Points left to spend in a 2000 point list- Suggestions?
« on: September 17, 2007, 12:38:09 AM »
Howdy all- throwing together a 'take all comers' list. I have list with 228 points left. I'll throw out the list, and then let you know what I'm thinking of to fill the points out. Thanks!

Jetbike Autarch of Doom
   Fusion Gun, Laser Lance, Mandi, JB
Shining Spears with Kitted Exarch (both powers, S cannon, Laser LAnce)
Harlequins x8 + Shadowseer + Troupe Master, all kises, 2x FP's
Full Squad of DA's with Kitted Exarch, shimmer shield, and both powers riding in a WS with Vectored, SS's, and TL BL's
Another of the Above.
Falcon-of-Living (S Canon, Scat Laser, SS's, VE's, Holo)
Another Falcon of Living as above.

Ok. You see the idea behind this. Shoot up the board, drop off the DA's, bladestorm and charge in to mire the opponents. Use the Harlies and Spears as Hammers while the DA's act as glue and ablative shielding.

So here are my options. Add Star Engines to the WS's.

Now, what to do with the points left over?
I could load up the falcons with Dragons, that's ~200 points, plus an exarch or two.
I could use a Jet Bike unit to screen the Shining Spears.
On the other hand, I can get another full squad of Spears with Exarch.
I could get a Farseer, kit him up real nice, put him on a JB, etc.
Grab an Avatar (Loot-At-Me!) and a squad of Dragons for the falcon.
2x Units of Scouts/pathfinders

What else can you think of?

Thanks- let me know what you think.
Resident Calculator of Probability, as bestowed by The Reborn.

Fine wine, like fine blades, should be applied sparingly.

Offline tegeus-Cromis

Re: 228 Points left to spend in a 2000 point list- Suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007, 12:43:06 AM »
5-man squad of FDs to go in the Falcon, plus a 6-man squad of Warp Spiders with economy Exarch (dual spinners, no powers). You have enough points for both.

BTW, if you're going to take a Troupe Master, give him a PW. He is barely any better than an ordinary Harlie without it.

Edit: I didn't even realise that the Harlies were on foot, it seems so counter-intuitive. Definitely drop two and put them in a Falcon, as others have said. I mean, the thing's just sitting there, asking them to get in!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 01:24:49 AM by tegeus-Cromis »

Offline Halfpast_Yellow

• ##Don't run! We are your friends!##
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 01:03:43 AM »
Lose two Harlies, put them in the Falcon, Put some Fire Dragons in the other Falcon, get a fortuneseer on a Jetbike?

Fill the the rest of the points by tooling up the seer, exarch for FDs, maybe Starcannon upgrade for Falcons, etc?

Offline XCrusaderguy01

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2007, 01:08:43 AM »
It looks to me like you're a bit light on bodies for a 2000pt list. Also, you look very light on fire support of any kind. The falcons will spend almost every turn shaken (they are difficult to kill, but easy to silence), so they can't be counted on for this. Perhaps you should have them transporting some CC squads, or maybe even make 2 6-harlie units for them to cart around. Shaking doesn't stop the Falcon from transporting!  ;)

The harlequins are on foot, and with the rest of your army moving so fast (being mounted/jet-biked), they might not show up until it's too late. If you want to fit them with the rest of your army, consider a wave serpent for them as well perhaps, or 2 6-harlie squads in the falcons as above.

I would say no to the Avatar for the same footslogging type reason as above.

As for your other options, I'd say that anything that can keep up with your main army is worth testing out in a game or two.

Offline SeekingOne

• Exarch
  • May Hoeth guide our ways...
  • Armies: Eldar (Saim-Hann), Space Wolves
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2007, 06:33:20 AM »
I tried to move your list to my spreadsheet to play with it a little. I might have missed something, but it looks like you can squeeze a lot into this list.

First of all, I'm with others on that you should drop 2 harlies to fit them into Falcon, and add a squad of Dragons to ride in the second Falcon. I'd recommend a squad of 6 with Exarch equipped with flamer and with Crack Shot power.

In addition to that you can also take a fully-kitted Farseer on bike AND (if you drop a couple of non-critical upgrades or take some cheaper weapon options for Serpents and Falcons) you can also fit in a squad of 3 jetbikes with shuricannon.

Alternatively, you can take the cheapest possible Dragon squad (5 models with no exarch, they are still more than good at tank busting), and free up some additional points to replace your single squad of 5 Shining Spears with 2 squads of 3 Spears. This way they'll be more flexible, will create greater target saturation and will be easier to hide behind terrain. It also will give you 2 exarchs with 2 BS5 cannons and 2 WS5 lances instead of 1... Let alone the fact that it enables you to fully utilise contents of 2 Shining Spears boxes. Overall a set up worth trying I think :) Let us know if you need some advise on freeing up points.
I fight against Chaos and for Order, because it means fighting for Life against Death. There is no other battle truly worth fighting.

"If it's not for a tournament then play whatever it is that you like. Without the pressure of having to utterly destroy your opponent it opens up alot more opportunity to have fun." - Lazarus

Offline Bellatrix the corset maker

• I love pizza
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2007, 01:44:30 PM »
Id also recommend dropping 2 Harlies including the seer to fit them in a Falcon.

dragons with Exarch and DBF is a solid choice.

Vibro or D Cannons to make up for ur lack of fire support.

6 man unit of jetbikes - a locking unit.

Warpspiders - maybe even with a pack mounted Autarch and fusion gun.

Any of the above would help flesh ur guys out.
Reality is based upon perception

Offline Banik

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2007, 03:30:07 PM »
Just a quick Aside, it was a full 8 Harlies, plus the Shadowseer/Troupe Master, making a total of 10. I was couting on the veil to keep them alive, plus the other targets being tastier.But, aside from that, here's what I've come up with:

2000/2000

HQ
Farseer, Jetbike, Runes of Warding, Fortune, Doom
Autarch, Jetbike, Fusion Gun, Laser Lance, Mandiblaster

Elites
6 Harlies (5 troopers (5 kisses, 1 Fusion Pistol), 1 troupemaster (power weapon, Fusion Pistol))
6 Harlies (5 troopers (5 kisses, 1 Fusion Pistol), 1 troupemaster (power weapon, Fusion Pistol))

Troops
10 DAs (9 troopers, 1 Exarch with PW and Shimmershield, Bladestorm and Defend)
   Mounted in Waveserpent with Shruiken Cannon and TL BL's, Spirit Stones and Vectored Engines
10 DAs (9 troopers, 1 Exarch with PW and Shimmershield, Bladestorm and Defend)
   Mounted in Waveserpent with Shruiken Cannon and TL BL's, Spirit Stones and Vectored Engines

Fast Attack
5 Shining Spears (4 + Exarch with Skilled Rider and Withdraw and a Laser Lance and Shruiken Cannon)

Heavy
Falcon with Scatter Laser and Shruiken Cannon upgrade. Spirit Stones, Vectored Engines, Holo-field)
Falcon with Scatter Laser and Shruiken Cannon upgrade. Spirit Stones, Vectored Engines, Holo-field)

Total Model Count: 43

So I deploy, there are 2 Falcons, 2 Serpents, and a squad of 7 Bikes. There should be enough cover to hide behind in my deployment zone. The idea, obviously, is to get in a reasonable position (spend a turn weighting a flank, if necessary) to drop the DA's off, bladestorm and charge. Position the tanks and use the combat to block LoS if necessary and use the Harlies and Spear Squad as hammers. I put the FP's in the harlie squads because I'm a little worried about firepower, and with the low number of models, a little versatility won't hurt.

Thanks for Everyone's input! Once I get my windrider boxes in, I'll be able to test this and see how it goes.

Huzzah!

Offline XCrusaderguy01

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2007, 04:05:43 PM »
There should be enough cover to hide behind in my deployment zone.

I doubt you will be hidden completely, even with standard 25% terrain coverage, but you should be able to do a decent enough job of it. The list looks good, let us know how it goes!

Offline SeekingOne

• Exarch
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2007, 04:37:52 PM »
No, you should not field Harlies without a Shadowseer, even if they are in a tank! Remember that only the seer gives them grenades - without him they'll get killed when attempting to charge anything in cover.
I fight against Chaos and for Order, because it means fighting for Life against Death. There is no other battle truly worth fighting.

"If it's not for a tournament then play whatever it is that you like. Without the pressure of having to utterly destroy your opponent it opens up alot more opportunity to have fun." - Lazarus

Offline Banik

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2007, 07:15:02 PM »
No, you should not field Harlies without a Shadowseer, even if they are in a tank! Remember that only the seer gives them grenades - without him they'll get killed when attempting to charge anything in cover.

Very Good Point. On the down side, I need to cut 40 points now...
« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 07:17:51 PM by Banik »

Offline tegeus-Cromis

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2007, 02:48:19 AM »
Drop the Troupemasters. They're unnecessary and don't kill that much more than a normal Harlie (about 0.5 of a Marine more on the charge, IIRC).

Drop the fusion pistols. You will rarely get the chance to fire them.

Offline SeekingOne

• Exarch
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2007, 02:57:55 AM »
Agree with Tegeus: Troupemasters are hardly worth it...

Offline Jeramiahr

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2007, 03:49:01 AM »
Harliquins are not a drop and pop style unit. if your transporting them you'll want to place them behind cover so they can charge through it and avoid enemy fire. And if you foot slog them ranged weapons are a waste since their only 12" <exc Death Jester> and cancel out your fleet of foot ability by using them. Also since you are within 12" you'll more exposed than would be desireable. You need that ability to enter hand to hand to keep them away from enemy fire. I'd drop the pistols and the troop masters and get a shadowseer and kisses. lightly armores targets will get busted by rending since each harlequin has 4 attacks on the charge.