News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Grey Knights LOVE outshooting Tau. They really, really do.  (Read 1734 times)

Offline Fafnir

• Ork Boy
  • tied and gagged in the back of your car
Grey Knights LOVE outshooting Tau. They really, really do.
« on: April 6, 2009, 01:26:05 AM »
Setup
Grey Knights vs Tau. Capture and Control, Pitched Battle.

My list was 5 PAGK with 2 psycannons, 5 PAGK, 7 termies with one psycannon and holocaust, Grand Master Sigurd with extra power weapon(for the extra CC attack), scourging, holy relic, sacred incense, and all that other funstuff. Army comes out at 910 points.

My opponent used 3 crisis suits(2 with twin linked plasma cannons, and 1 with missile pods), 12 fire warriors in a transport, 20 kroot, one sniper with one drone, and 6 stealth suits. He once worked at Games Workshop, but is not as familiar with 5th edition, so I'd imagine that rustiness and his experience evens things out a bit.

I place my objective on the middle end of my side of the field, out in the open. He places his far on his side behind cover, near the right(from the facing on my side of he table).
I deploy first, placing my Psycannon squad(hereby simply called Psycannons) in the middle, my standard PAGK(hereby simply called PAGK) near the middle-left, and my terminators right beside my PAGK on the left. All of them are as close to the middle as the rules allow.
My opponent places his sniper on the far right edge, his kroot behind his objective, and his crisis suits in the far left corner. He places his transport just below his sniper. Stealth suits are held in reserve.

The Battle
Turn one, all units move up. PAGK and Terminator squads fire on the kroot. They go to ground, increasing their cover save (they're already behind cover). 8 are removed as casualties. They take a leadership test, and fail. They retreat, but are still on the table(although very close to the edge.

Opponent's turn, the Kroot regroup. Crisis suits move forward. Crisis suits try to shoot my terminators, but Shrouding protects them. Sniper fires at my Psycannons, but fails to do any damage.

My turn, Terminators and PAGK advance. Terminators focus fire on the crisis suits, but only do 1 wound(only the psycannon was in range). PAGK fire at kroot, dealing more damage. Kroot pass their morale check. Psycannons fire at the Tau transport, but fail to do any damage.

Opponent's turn, Kroot and Crisis suits both focus fire on my terminators, but only manage to administer 2 wounds(one on the Grand Master, and one on a normal Terminator), causing one casualty. Terminators and PAGK focus fire on the Crisis suits again, and this time manage to take them all out. Psycannons fire at the Tau Transport again, but fail to do any damage.

Opponent's turn, Stealth Suits arrive. Opponent places them about 8 inches behind my Terminators, scatters 10 inches in the direction of my terminators, causing a mishap. He rolls a 3 on the mishap table, and I position them in the far left corner(directly in the line of fire of my terminators and PAGK). Kroot fire at my PAGK, no wounds. Stealth Suits are too far to shoot my units. Stealth Stuits jump in my direction in the assault phase, towards cover(but they aren't actually in it, just heading to it).

My turn, advance once again. Terminators fire at the Stealth Suits, taking out two. PAGK shoot at the kroot, causing a morale check. The Kroot pass it. Assault phase, my PAGK assault the kroot. The Kroot survive with 2 left, but fail their morale check. They are destroyed in the sweeping advance. The enemy now has no one on their objective. My Psycannon squad now closes into melee range with the Tau Transport, and immobilizes it with their psycannons. In the ensuing assault phase, they destroy it. Tau Fire Warriors disembark.

Opponent's turn. Fire Warriors rapid fire at Psycannon squad, entire squad except Justicar is destroyed. Stealth Suits shoot at my Grey Knights, but fail to hit (or were they out of range? Not sure...).

My turn. Terminators advance, PAGK move to take out the Sniper unit (in case you're wondering, I'm not really talking about him because he failed to really do anything for the entire game except kill a single knight in the psycannon squad. I just wanted to kill it because that AP3 gun scared the amphetamine parrot out of me). Terminators focus fire on the Stealth Suit unit (4 remaining), and totally annihilate it. Remaining Justicar of the Psycannon squad shoots and assaults the firewarriors. He takes out 3 (all in combat), 9 remain. The Tau fail to damage him. They pass their morale check.

Opponent's turn, sniper fails to really do anything worth while again, and his Tau end up killing my Justicar in the ensuing assault phase (scariest moment in the whole game). They consolidate towards my objective.

My turn, I move the PAGK that had been previously advancing to his sniper back to his objective. My Terminators advance towards his fire warriors, but are not in range to shoot.
For my opponent's next two turns, he would spend them moving his fire warriors onto my objective, and maintaining himself on there. His Sniper would take out two PAGK, but the unit would still manage to stay on the objective, ultimatly ending up behind cover where they couldn't be shot.

My turn, my terminators get in range to shoot, and focus fire on the fire warriors. They reduce the unit to 6 Tau, they pass their morale check.

Final Turn, my Terminators at his Fire Warriors again, reducing the unit two 2 Fire Warriors. They pass their leadership test.

Final Results
Objectives Held:
Grey Knights---- 1(2)
Tau------------- 1(2)

Casualties:
Grey Knights---- 8(18)
Tau------------- 40(44)

Vehicles Lost:
Grey Knights---- 0(0)
Tau------------- 1(1)

Points Value Lost:
Grey Knights---- 221(910)
Tau------------- ~800(910)

Tactical Victory for my Grey Knights, strategic draw overall. Overall, it was a very fun match. Despite slaughtering the Tau, I failed to keep him from my objective, and thus caused the match to end in a draw. Next time, I would be more mindful of his fire warriors. This Tau army was better planned out, and performed better maneuvers then my last opponent (who was Also Tau), but my Grey Knights still outshot them. His use of kroot was very effective, using them as a very cheap objective holder. It would have worked better, had my Grey Knights not swarmed in that corner.

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
Re: Grey Knights LOVE outshooting Tau. They really, really do.
« Reply #1 on: April 6, 2009, 07:59:23 AM »
lol reminds me of how my games go with my Grey Knights. You seemed to have some pretty good luck as well, shooting down multiple crisis suits with non-armour penetrating rounds is pretty sweet!

Unfortunate you couldn't shift that remaining squad and gain a win. Good game and bat-rep.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Fafnir

• Ork Boy
« Reply #2 on: April 6, 2009, 06:54:29 PM »
lol reminds me of how my games go with my Grey Knights. You seemed to have some pretty good luck as well, shooting down multiple crisis suits with non-armour penetrating rounds is pretty sweet!

Unfortunate you couldn't shift that remaining squad and gain a win. Good game and bat-rep.

Well, the suits went down simply because of the shear volume of shots. The Terminators alone provided 14 storm bolter shots, 3 psycannon shots, and D6 scourging shots. The PAGK threw in another 10 storm bolters. Overall, my rolls were fairly lucky, but I think it was more the volume then good rolls. My psycannons didn't actually do as much damage as they should have otherwise. And it's a shame, because they're so expensive!

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
« Reply #3 on: April 6, 2009, 09:04:27 PM »
Aye, they are expensive. I find though, that their best attribute is the strength more so then the number of shots, as you will be able to wound most things on twos and even be able to threaten lighter vehicles without needing to direct the more dedicated anti-tank weapons at them.

Your list doesn't really seem well suited for taking down vehicles though, how would you manage if there are more heavier vehicles about, or things like walkers? I find I can never leave home without two twin-las dreads, for fear of enemy armour.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Fafnir

• Ork Boy
« Reply #4 on: April 6, 2009, 09:36:07 PM »
Thing is, at under 1000 points, anti-tank isn't a huge worry. Anywhere over 1000, I'd be worried, but otherwise, most armour used at <1000 can be beaten by a S6 NFW to the rear. I wouldn't play my GK at over that amount without much tooling and tinkering, as the GK's anti tank is incredibly weak, some would say cripplingly so, when you consider the current metagame.
« Last Edit: April 6, 2009, 09:37:19 PM by Fafnir »

• Ancient
« Reply #5 on: April 6, 2009, 09:52:47 PM »
I donno, I've done rather well at 1500pts games at my local battle bunker, two dreads and numerous pyscannons seems to do all the anti-tank that I need. The main trouble I have is agaisnt elite infantry, more than anything. I tend not to take very many terminators (just 5+stern). Preferably, I would like two separate squads that can each combat different threats.
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline Fafnir

• Ork Boy
« Reply #6 on: April 6, 2009, 09:56:48 PM »
Well, I live off of termies, so things would probably be a bit different in that regard.

• Ancient
« Reply #7 on: April 6, 2009, 10:06:30 PM »
Yeah, I normally just use the terminators as a sacrifical unit, or a distraction units, to get killed some some big-nast thing, then let the PGK shoot and counter charge. Works quite well agaisnt armies like orks, with their large nasty mobs.And also, Blood angels. I don't really trust them enough to get a large amount of them. I cannot put enough faith in them, to be the majority investment in my force.
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline tyranidin101

• Definitely not a Ripper
  • "Stop dieing you Cowards!"
« Reply #8 on: April 7, 2009, 05:17:16 PM »
Well, outshooting the most shooty army in the game made me laugh. ;D

Anyhow, nice report and congrats on the win.
If your really good at something, never do it for free. <3 40k online!

Offline Fafnir

• Ork Boy
« Reply #9 on: April 7, 2009, 08:59:10 PM »

Grey Knights are actually a very shooty army, in some cases, moreso then Tau. Between 13 and 24 inches, Grey Knight shooting is the best in the game. Outshooting Tau is no big feat because of that.

Offline Gentleman Fate

• SirBruce
  • There are no heroes left in man
    • Shoot-Tau-Thrill
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2009, 09:23:18 PM »

Grey Knights are actually a very shooty army, in some cases, moreso then Tau. Between 13 and 24 inches, Grey Knight shooting is the best in the game. Outshooting Tau is no big feat because of that.
The Tau actually don't have great firebases. They all hold the same weaponry, making killing one in a 10 man squad equivalent to taking away 10% of their ability. Shooting against a squad of, say, 10 Space Marines two with Special Weapons, any wounds will be allocated on the scrub marines, not the Special Weapon touting Marines. This barely drops the effectiveness.
Tau do best due to their mobility, not outright shooting abilities. They are supposed to be out of range of fire or LOS before the enemy can seek revenge.
BTW, I like Stimulant Injectors on ALL my suits. It makes no sense to me for a damn Gundam to die to a few lasgun shots.
"If you were smart you would have rolled a six."
- Spencer Young, God amongst men.

"ok, my boys are disembarking now, and since i have no shooting, theyr gonna run then assault" me-"Umm... you went flat out, AND you aren't Fleet" him-"But this is a trukk and these are boyz. they can do it because they believe they can do it" me-"...Right." -Kabal

It's cool to shoot 2 plasma cannons.....INTO YOUR PLAGUEMARINES.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2009, 09:25:18 PM »
Stimulant Injectors on ALL my suits. It makes no sense to me for a damn Gundam to die to a few lasgun shots.

By which you mean "suit" since it's special issue and thus there can only be one within each army.  ;)
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Zhar

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2009, 09:46:21 PM »
Usually a squad Going down for cover is considered Pinned and will not fall back, as I recall ! But anyway ! Good job !

- Zhar

Offline Gentleman Fate

• SirBruce
  • There are no heroes left in man
    • Shoot-Tau-Thrill
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2009, 11:51:10 AM »
Stimulant Injectors on ALL my suits. It makes no sense to me for a damn Gundam to die to a few lasgun shots.

By which you mean "suit" since it's special issue and thus there can only be one within each army.  ;)
I only have 1 now. :(
I have another hopefully coming in by Easter though.
It really is a shame it is special issue. FNP on Crisis units is something that I hold very dear.
"If you were smart you would have rolled a six."
- Spencer Young, God amongst men.

"ok, my boys are disembarking now, and since i have no shooting, theyr gonna run then assault" me-"Umm... you went flat out, AND you aren't Fleet" him-"But this is a trukk and these are boyz. they can do it because they believe they can do it" me-"...Right." -Kabal

It's cool to shoot 2 plasma cannons.....INTO YOUR PLAGUEMARINES.

Offline Goodcat

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2009, 04:18:14 PM »

I only have 1 now. :(
I have another hopefully coming in by Easter though.
It really is a shame it is special issue. FNP on Crisis units is something that I hold very dear.

Nice little batrep, need pics!

As for FnP+crisis...you should only take stim injectors if you also have the better armor on your HQ, and use him to just soak up regular fire while other stuff takes the insta kill hits (eg. fire warriors+HQ+drones. Drones take armor ignoring saves, HQ takes as much bolter fire etc as he can, and firewarriors the rest. Very hard to dislodge from an objective with ranged attacks).