News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Damnatus - German fan film project stopped by GW!  (Read 18155 times)

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
  • Lost Roads are now found!
    • 40kOnline
  • Armies: Squats
Re: Damnatus - German fan film project stopped by GW!
« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2007, 11:53:22 AM »
Did the damnauts crew intend to do so? And if not surely something could be agreed which would prevent it?
As far as I understand it is a trait of the German copyright-legislation. As such, they cannot get rid of it, like ... an american cannot sign a contract disallowing them the right to bear arms. It would just not work.

Lost Roads - finally released!

YouTube-clip of my Squat army.

Offline SlaveOne

• He's no good to me dead
« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2007, 11:58:09 AM »
Totally and completely not suprised.

Well this simply means we will see a GW movie with in the next 5-10 years or so. Its kinda similar in what they did with Blizzards Starcraft. I dont know the particulars but it sound kinda the same.

It is just a shame that fans pour their heart and soul into something in order to pay homage and its snatched away by the very same folks your trying to promote.

Perhaps they can use the footage for some Lamb of God video or somthing.   :D
Dear Developers,

Please nerf rock, it is too powerful. Paper is just fine.

Thx,
Scissors

Offline Redlion

• Infinity Circuit
  • I *LOVE* EO and 40K.ca
« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2007, 12:39:36 PM »
Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a by-gone vexation, stands vivified and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin van-guarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition."

I can't even fathom the words to give your paragraph proper accolades, simply wonderfully, and masterfully done.

GW's decision is a real slap to the face of the German fans that worked on that project.
We all lose out because of GW's short sightedness. All because of their greed, it absolutely knows no boundary. Real shame.

Offline ghostwalker

• IA: Fists of Dorn
« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2007, 01:11:28 PM »
Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a by-gone vexation, stands vivified and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin van-guarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition."

I can't even fathom the words to give your paragraph proper accolades, simply wonderfully, and masterfully done.

GW's decision is a real slap to the face of the German fans that worked on that project.
We all lose out because of GW's short sightedness. All because of their greed, it absolutely knows no boundary. Real shame.

I believe what he said before was relevant...whereas i believe what you quoted to be some sort of signature based of the film V for Vendetta. If i remember rightly that quote is from the scene where 'V' rescues the women from the 2 'cops'(cant remember what they are actually called.

Offline Tobias Schneider

« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2007, 01:33:55 PM »
If you want to help:

On damnatus.com you have the possibility to sing a petition.

For me its clear, I boycott GW for myself, there is no tank for my armoured company that I can't scratch (The Emperor bless Workinprogress!) and figures I can get from other systems (I still use Bauhaus for my Imperial Guard and for Fantasy I have http://www.gamezoneminiatures.com/.

There is nothing which I have to buy at GW.
My bitzbox is larger than my monitor and the unpainted and unassembled figures fill an enormous part of my room.

sincerely
Tobias

Offline Vespasian Swiper

• Dear Live Journal...
  • Damn Dora...
    • Club DM
« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2007, 01:41:27 PM »
Well this simply means we will see a GW movie with in the next 5-10 years or so. Its kinda similar in what they did with Blizzards Starcraft. I dont know the particulars but it sound kinda the same.

We can't see a GW film ever. Imagine trying to make a Star Wars film.

You are directing it, supplying most of the money etc.
George Lucas, 15 lawyers, 2 writers, and 100 ubernerdishobsessiv efanboys watch your everymove.

Such as you say.... "And the rebel trooper will dash across throw the grenade and..."

Lawyer one: "Overarm? No underarm. Dont want to give kids bad ideas..."
Nerd5"Rebel training says underarm, with a smile is the best way."
Nerd7" Not in the Purge of the Empire!"
Nerd42 "Ahaha but that was written by 'x' not true fluff..."

*Much chortling.*

Five hours later you haven't shot anything as the lawyers row about how it could damage the brand, how the nerds want it 100% accurate to fluff, when you've stumped up most of the funding and effort to make the film.

These problems have torn GW's film ambitions to shreds and hence no major company will touch them. The remake of Captain Scarlet was over seen by Gerry Anderson but he allowed the new company massive leeway to make it more accessible and easier to get funding to push forward the project.
Its an even stranger day when you have a fat Games Workshop-Fanboy Ninja declare to end you for something you did for April Fools on Teh Interwebz.

It's a strange day in the world where I find myself agreeing more often than not with Swiper.  :D

Offline Que Dan

• These shops do exist...
« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2007, 02:15:55 PM »
Bah. I shall never understand commercial law.

It's quite simple.

Step 1: Your money.
Step 2: ???
Step 3: My money!
Orks. We were the Armageddon wars.

So how does 540+20D6 attacks grab you?

(The owner of this sig is not responsible for the content and/or spelling of this post)

Offline skyline

• I *L0VE* 40konline.
    • BrooklynBattleBunker.com
« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2007, 03:47:20 PM »
What the hell is wrong with GW?

Why don't they get involved with the project?

Positive media will only sell MORE units.

Idiots.
2K Ultramarines (sold)
2K Necron (given to my bro)
1.5K Eldar (given to my bro)
2K Deathwing (sold)
2K Tau (sold)
2K Imperial Fists (WIP)

Offline Sir Sam Vimes

• Wych
  • Pontificator Extremis of Goovil
    • http://amrothdin.deviantart.com/
« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2007, 03:56:48 PM »
What the hell is wrong with GW?

Why don't they get involved with the project?

Positive media will only sell MORE units.

Idiots.

Before we all start with a serious flamming of GW, let's think about it: Who is the dumbest, the idiot (GW) or the ones following the idiot (people buying models from GW)  ;)

Sure, Games Workshop has a few issues they have to solve, but it's their property (ok, much is stolen from others) and they have the right to do what they want to do with it.

Now back to the ranting.

Offline Two Blades as One, Samurai Ichirou

• Old men start wars; Young boys die in them.
« Reply #49 on: July 11, 2007, 04:15:56 PM »
GODDDDAAAMMMIITTT!!!!! >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

I have arleady written half a damn storyline/screenplay for the movie i wanted to have made (dont care by who, though peter jackson would be nice) but now that i kno this will happen screw the whole thing! these movies would help the damn GW company, not hurt them!!!
Still I lay cold, my soul seeks light / my eyes are tired; my heart's last fight
Around my shell of wood and cloth / trickle sound of wound and loss.
Broken voices of tears and cry's / sorrow and love for a Nation's son's life.
Mother and Father alone in thought. / Of the bravery and pain in the battle we fought.
We move slowly we three welcomed home. / A parade of silence, hands and flags wave
Above our bodies, they gather as on, / Along this highway of heroes for two seconds of light.

Offline supremespleen

• SKI
« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2007, 05:17:04 PM »
I think we are all forgetting that they are a company, and out to make a profit. Just because it is a nerdy hobby, doesn't mean they are not money hungry capitalists, like any other company out there. GW is not our friend.

It is disappointing though. I think I'll be stopping my Tau army at 500 pts.

Offline Lorizael

• GW Shill: Infinity Circuit: Synergistic Spotter of Numpties
  • Ancient
« Reply #51 on: July 11, 2007, 06:17:55 PM »
Gah, this is a lame situation. How far does the legal things go? There have been flash animation films on the net for years. Are these now illegal.

What exactly constitutes IP? As someone else said; GW "borrow" most of their ideas from other sci-fi/fantasy fiction anyway!

Offline Moonsinger

• The Cause of Priapism | Meanie!
  • Ancient
    • KFD-Comics
« Reply #52 on: July 11, 2007, 07:05:25 PM »

actualy I am hinting toward something *snickers*
Dwarf Females <3
Priapism is considered a medical emergency, which should receive proper treatment by qualified medical people

Offline Jehan-Reznor

• The Dude in Japan
« Reply #53 on: July 11, 2007, 07:57:16 PM »
I live in japan, and here fan created stuff is officialy against the law, But the companies allow it, there is so much manga made her by fans, cosplay, garagekits, even fan movies, and the companies do not say anything, they just see it as extra advertisement, even some of the things are sexual in nature or just plain sick.

Learn GW!!
"this can't be happening, Man!"
my projects;
http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?topic=169427.0 budhhist space marines
http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?topic=163611.0 Doombringer my space marine chapter
http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?topic=150109.0 Hello Kitty Space Marine Army

Offline supremespleen

• SKI
« Reply #54 on: July 11, 2007, 09:08:37 PM »
A lot of interesting insight on this situation in the comment section here:
http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/07/11/1536240&from=rss

Offline .:Tr@ceR:.

• zachgmedia
« Reply #55 on: July 11, 2007, 10:32:37 PM »
This is really uncalled for. I was pretty upset when GW handed it to BWBits, and now this? It's not like this film was going to hurt their business. It would in fact do the opposite. GW seems to have little care for their PR. Next thing you know, I'll be getting a cease and desist for including renders of 3D 40K models in my personal online portfolio. 
 ???
The true power is here...

Offline [dixon]

• I pretend to be other users
  • BANNED
« Reply #56 on: July 11, 2007, 10:34:34 PM »
It has nothing to do with helping or hurting the business, it has to do with GW's control over it's IP and whatnot.
I pretended to be other members, and finally got BANNED

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #57 on: July 11, 2007, 10:37:22 PM »
In the same manner as the Disney Corporation. Just how forgiving are they to their IP?
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Apocalyp$e

• Fight the Future
« Reply #58 on: July 11, 2007, 10:43:10 PM »
This is what happens when you ask.
Experience in my case suggests doing something first THEN asking... If they had released it first, GW couldn't do anything since the whole community would be excited and talking about how awesome it was.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #59 on: July 11, 2007, 10:44:38 PM »
Yes. Just ask Napster.  ;)
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.