News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: I love my Solitaire  (Read 4973 times)

Offline Nythrulas

• Armies: Ulthwe
I love my Solitaire
« on: May 2, 2015, 04:13:05 PM »
Things my Solitaire has killed:

Chaos Space Marines (10)
Chaos Helbrute

Necron Warriors (10)

Wraithlord
Wraithlord
Dark Reapers (6)

Nemesis Dreadknight
Grey Knight Strike Squad (6)
Grey Knight Strike Squad (6)

Number of times my Solitaire has died:

I freaking love my Solitaire.  Have any good Solitaire stories?

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
Re: I love my Solitaire
« Reply #1 on: May 2, 2015, 05:39:43 PM »
I don't have a Solitaire (I'm not a Harley player) but they seem pretty dangerous.

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #2 on: May 3, 2015, 09:50:52 AM »
In the only game I played, my solitare charged a unit of raveners, whiffed and was devoured by the red terror lol.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Ambience 327

« Reply #3 on: May 4, 2015, 12:12:23 PM »
It was all part of the plan. After the Red Terror made its way back to the Hive Fleet, the Solitaire cut his way out and slaughtered the Norn Queen before slipping through a portable Webway portal that self-destructed moments later...  ;D

Offline Elendor

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #4 on: May 4, 2015, 02:42:28 PM »
In the only game I played, my solitare charged a unit of raveners, whiffed and was devoured by the red terror lol.
I've only played one game with Harlequins so far, but in that one game, I had a similar experience. When I tried to Blitz, I rolled something awful like a 9 on four dice, so he couldn't get into combat. Then on the next turn he charged, but missed almost all of his attacks, and was promptly butchered.

He seems awesome, though, as long as you don't whiff all your dice rolls. :P

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #5 on: May 4, 2015, 03:54:26 PM »
He has the potential to be awesome, but in the end it still all comes down to the dice.  I've had him butcher a squad with his Caress, and I have had him roll no 6's and bounce off marines.  The biggest thing I have found with the Solitaire is that he is a bullet magnet / sponge.  I play him very aggressively and often have him charging by the second turn.  If he can find some cover to hide behind it is almost guaranteed that he will make it.

I think the best he has ever survived is shooting from two dakka Hive Tyrants and 4 dakka fexes.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Grizzlykin

• Run little eldar, run! ... And KILL THEM ALL !
  • Armies: Eldars, Tau, Necrons
« Reply #6 on: May 4, 2015, 04:02:50 PM »
I think the best he has ever survived is shooting from two dakka Hive Tyrants and 4 dakka fexes.

well now i know that to kill him i fire at it with a serpent shield to be sure i have ignore cover >< it's intresting to see what you guy's did with it as it gives a me a nice feeling for the guy, this will help when i face him.
The Grizzly's Arvandor Craftworld!

Quote from: Cavalier
ALL HAIL THE TORNADO! The legend is REBORN.

Quote from: Alienscar
The forum member so nice that even when he is MIA he still gets two votes for being the nicest member

Offline Nythrulas

« Reply #7 on: May 5, 2015, 01:04:54 PM »
It was all part of the plan. After the Red Terror made its way back to the Hive Fleet, the Solitaire cut his way out and slaughtered the Norn Queen before slipping through a portable Webway portal that self-destructed moments later...  ;D
Badass!

And to add to the tally:
3 Tomb Blades
Triarch Stalker
10 Necron Warriors
5 Immortals.

Cover is the key, making sure he's only in line of sight of one man in a squad to cut down on overwatch, and making sure he has terrain to consolidate into once he's had his snack.  He takes careful planning, often several turns in advance.  I also almost never Blitz.  I usually forget, but when I do, I make sure it's really late in the game, and I'm really close to my intended target.  Failing a charge with him is a death sentence.

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #8 on: May 5, 2015, 03:43:19 PM »

well now i know that to kill him i fire at it with a serpent shield to be sure i have ignore cover >< it's intresting to see what you guy's did with it as it gives a me a nice feeling for the guy, this will help when i face him.
Ignores cover is irrelevant as his save is invulnerable.  And I also run Cegorach's Revenge so he effectively has the equivalent of a shadowfield.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Grizzlykin

• Run little eldar, run! ... And KILL THEM ALL !
  • Armies: Eldars, Tau, Necrons
« Reply #9 on: May 5, 2015, 04:28:39 PM »

Ignores cover is irrelevant as his save is invulnerable.  And I also run Cegorach's Revenge so he effectively has the equivalent of a shadowfield.

well then i will make sure to avoid playing against one if possible ;) you just all motivated me to buy some harlies and put them in my army... but not before i finish painting the rest i guess
The Grizzly's Arvandor Craftworld!

Quote from: Cavalier
ALL HAIL THE TORNADO! The legend is REBORN.

Quote from: Alienscar
The forum member so nice that even when he is MIA he still gets two votes for being the nicest member

Offline Nythrulas

« Reply #10 on: May 5, 2015, 05:00:06 PM »
I use the Heroes' Path, and the cover save upgrades are great.  The Shadowseer and Death Jester work really well in concert together, and even if the Solitaire has a light assault phase, where he only wins combat by a little, the Shadowseer's Mask of Secrets (which is a mandatory upgrade in my opinion), can ensure the victims still run... and the Solitaire will catch them.

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #11 on: May 5, 2015, 05:58:15 PM »
So, after four games with harlequins now, my solitare has been the most lackluster model in my army. He usually accomplishes a small number of wounds. He's durable, due to his save, but his offensive power compared to one of my troupes is disappointing. I'm sure there will be a game in which he murders everything though, but not yet.

I've also played mostly against space marines, so catching falling back units in combat is not as exciting.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Nythrulas

« Reply #12 on: May 6, 2015, 02:46:16 AM »
ATSKNF and Fearless are definitely going to make him appear less useful and dynamic.  I would say send him against something like a devastator squad that's got it self holed up in a bolstered ruin.  Shooting those guys can be hard, but the Solitaire can take them out, especially since they tend to be small squads.