News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Eldar Avatar in the new dex....are you happy?  (Read 10814 times)

Offline Grizzlykin

• Run little eldar, run! ... And KILL THEM ALL !
  • Armies: Eldars, Tau, Necrons
Re: Eldar Avatar in the new dex....are you happy?
« Reply #20 on: May 1, 2015, 08:57:00 AM »
I think a feel no pain would have make sens to me on the avatar, i mean come on srmy it's a god of war that made of fusion metal ... srly A small feel no pain would be nice i think or even a big feel no pakn with some extra point of course to compensate, 5-10, but to me that would make sense.
The Grizzly's Arvandor Craftworld!

Quote from: Cavalier
ALL HAIL THE TORNADO! The legend is REBORN.

Quote from: Alienscar
The forum member so nice that even when he is MIA he still gets two votes for being the nicest member

Offline Rx8Speed

« Reply #21 on: May 1, 2015, 06:38:51 PM »
yeh, but you should only get the GC upgrade if you use the Forge World model lol

Offline The Reborn

• I'm being out-gunned by a darn Carnifex....
  • Armies: Eldar, Harlequins.
« Reply #22 on: May 2, 2015, 03:34:11 AM »
A nice big plastic kit would've been cool, updated and really detailed...like the new Bloodthirster or the Skaven Verminlord.

Maybe power 3 levels too, with 3 different points costs.

Offline Rx8Speed

« Reply #23 on: May 2, 2015, 02:00:04 PM »
psychic avatar? I dont think it would make sense fluffwise, Theres also other model that i would MUCH rather see an update for ahem...warp spiders and warlocks

Offline Grizzlykin

« Reply #24 on: May 2, 2015, 03:24:39 PM »
Mn i had a game today even if that was not the best my warp spyder did pretty well even with my poor dice rool and strategic choice. So in my opinion they are pretty good especially the jump to avoid the shoot can be clutch if played well^^
For the warlock things can be discussed but that's not the topic here.

I totally agree with the non fluff things you mention, psychic avatar would make no sens to me.

The forum member so nice that even when he is MIA he still gets two votes for being the nicest member

Offline waylander1983

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #25 on: May 5, 2015, 05:11:02 PM »
i ran the avatar recently backed up by a full seer counsil and 2 wraithlords, got invisabilty as 1 of my powers and it made the avatar pretty much unstoppable lol.

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #26 on: May 5, 2015, 05:36:42 PM »
A nice big plastic kit would've been cool, updated and really detailed...like the new Bloodthirster or the Skaven Verminlord.

Maybe power 3 levels too, with 3 different points costs.

I don't think Reborn meant psychic mastery level 3. More like three different power level modes you can take the avatar in.

Offline The Reborn

« Reply #27 on: May 5, 2015, 05:39:58 PM »
Good to know. :)

I want to get a FW Avatar, since I'm not too fond of the short stumpy GW model...it needs a facelift IMHO.
Pound to a penny, the minute I raise the funds and buy one, GW will release the plastic kit.... :-\

Thanks Partninja, you are correct....I meant power levels in terms of stats/abilities, not Psyker powers.

Offline Grizzlykin

« Reply #28 on: May 5, 2015, 05:58:01 PM »
ah my bad there >< what do you mean different power lvl i don't think that make sens fluff wise. The métallic body is supposed to always be the same so i don' think it could potentially change it's lvl of strenght.

Regarding the avatar i am happy with the metal one i have :) it's prety old model so it does it's work but no more and  I agree with you it reallly need a face lift.

Offline The Reborn

« Reply #29 on: May 8, 2015, 04:29:49 AM »
@Grizzlykin

Hi  :)  When you talk about GW, ANYTHING can make sense fluff-wise if they deem it so to sell models...

Example....

Both warriors stood stoically before the gates to the shrine, showing almost no trace of the nervousness they surely must be feeling.  Kar-helion could feel their anxiety however, any psyker would've been able to...and with good reason the Farseer felt.
It was unusual for a Craftworld to use twin Young Kings for the soul-binding ritual, but the strength of this bond forged a stronger Avatar, a combat monster that would lead their armies to victory.

Twin-forged  An Avatar with this upgrade has the following stats and abilities:

etc, etc, etc.

Offline Grizzlykin

« Reply #30 on: May 8, 2015, 06:41:03 AM »
yeah indeed ... damn, this is madness sacrificing twin when you can just wait for one to die and put them in a wraithknigh wich will be nearly as effective as an avatar >< if not more

Offline Wyldhunt

« Reply #31 on: May 8, 2015, 04:47:32 PM »
I also rather like the idea of of avatars, while being largely similar, having minor or even major differences in appearance and wargear reflecting the differences in the craftworlds' psyches and approaches to war.  Altansar's Avatar (oh hey, that's got to look freaky after all that time in the warp!) might have a scythe or even a mega-maugetar.  Iybraesil's wailing doom might be a triskele or an executioner, and the avatar might have a banshee mask debuff effect.  Saim-Hann's might have wings or simply be super-fast and use the spear or lance for it's wailing doom representing the lance weapons favored by autarchs and shining spears.  Iyanden's might draw a lot of its psychic fury from the grief of the dead and trade out part of its buff aura for some sort of soul-sucking or vengeance effect.  Ulthwe's might have some blend of wailing doom and deific wychblade/singing spear or a special rule that represents the seers' certainty that the Avatar's use is necessary.  Stuff like that. 

I also really like the idea of the avatar having an extra minor ability reflecting the shrine to which the Young King belonged.  Wings for a hawk, a flamer template attack for a dragon, etc.

...To the forge!

Offline The Reborn

« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2015, 05:31:09 AM »
Great ideas Wyldhunt, just the sort of thing I'm talking about.  Missed opportunity GW..... :-\

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2015, 06:53:23 AM »
I think the Avatar deserves a far better invulnerable save... but that aside he's no slouch. The trick is to hold him back which is counter intuitive but IMO the best way to run him. You keep him held back for about 3 turns and just inch towards scrums in the center of the board or mid-field objectives held by your opponent. I can't tell you how many games I've played where I've got a bunch of units all tied up in combat in the middle of the board and I wished I had included the Avatar in my list to just rush in there and save em.
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline The Reborn

« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2015, 08:22:46 AM »
Exactly.  He's no slouch, but his main issue (even more than speed), is the fact that he's not Eternal Warrior.  He needs EW to survive some of the challenges he'll be getting....but then, he's great in most situations and you can always shoot anything too nasty as it approached him.

Offline csjarrat

• lock and load...
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2015, 09:52:20 AM »
seems decent enough in the new edition thanks to the sword + special rules bubble, but i'd rather see a better invul, eternal warrior chucked in there too tbh. doesn't seem resilient enough in some challenges for whit is a shard of a god compared to pheonix lords.

Removed a stat describing the sword. --- GML
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 12:39:34 PM by Grand Master Lomandalis »