News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Short term future of the Ork board - PoC, competitions and other things  (Read 13444 times)

Offline Gutstikk

• Infinity Circuit | Title here to be dreaded 'til further notice. Rummy's Deepstriking Pylon
  • Ancient
  • I am a Wolf.
So, I figure since it's come up in some other threads, what do you, the members of the community here at 40KO/Orks, want to see the community become? Since around the time of the Ork Codex and the original Waaagh!, and probably before then [though that's when I began posting around here so memory of times before does not exist for me], the Ork forum has been a very active, lively community, with lots of good discussions even as the focus has shifted to other, newer codex books.

We've had a fair few competitions, with some having greater or lesser participation. We've had two PoCs run, and involvement by members in a forum-wide online campaign. Several articles have been written, and members continue to introduce themselves - and their armies - in the "Faces" thread.

So, is all this enough? Or would you like to have something else/something further? Is their interest in running a third Waaagh! thread on the forums, and if so what should it look like? Are the competitions and events going how you'd like them?

I'm asking this because as time has progressed I've become less active with the Orks I own, and as a result, participate less in the discussions on this board. However, as moderator there's quite a few things I can do to help make this place the best it can be for the lot of you - but of course, I'll need some help :).

I guess I just want to get a clearer picture of the pulse of the community, and how all of you who've made the Ork forum here what it is are doing.

Offline OD from TV

• Ork Warlord | Title of Doom status: pending | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
Re: Short term future of the Ork board - PoC, competitions and other things
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 10:04:28 PM »
Well as I've stated in the past I for one would love to see a resurgence of a PoC, CoC, Waaagh, and/or Green Vanguard.  Even though things are getting tight on my end for time to really contribute I'd change my schedule to do so, possibly even dropping a class just so I'd be able to help out more.

I think we have a good community going currently of regular active posters, with a good deal of new passerby's that ask for help starting out on a level of around 2 or 3 a month and we also have a good amount of people who have recently started logging off of the site despite being positive contributors for a long time.  I believe that this log off rate is actually due in part to the lack of a good PoC program that would reward their hard work, and actually help keep great members active.

One such great member is DropFall, who I haven't seen make a post since the last competition he ran hit a standstill with the votes (I mean honestly how hard is it to vote?  If you add the entries together in Word it can't be more than 3 or 4 pages, and then you click the button next to the name of who you thought was the best author, its so simple a chimpanzee could do it, and we all know even Snotlings are smarter than Chimps.).

More than just re-energizing the community of regular posters and possible retrieving members who are logging off, I see an Ork PoC as a way that the regular Ork posters can be part of the greater whole of 40konline.  As far as I know every other board has a PoC of some kind, the most active being the Eldar PoC which has 5 different divisions, one for each major Craftworld.  If we can expand through the recruitment of new and old posters who are actively engaging in the community not only can we as a whole give better advice to new players and each other (through the writing of Tactica, which by the way the Project Board is looking for new Ork stuff!) we could potentially rival the Eldar PoC with various groups of our own.

For example if we could get enough good members we could easily have a Ard Boyz elite group and a Mek Boyz Shanty, each of these two groups could actually have competitions against each other, which would lead to an explosion of posts, and a greater respect from the 40konline community.

Of course that would be 10 or 15 steps ahead of where we are today.  To start things off right now we need to find someone who could be a Warboss.  Someone capable of reaching out to the entire Ork board, and not only helping them, but getting things done.  In the fullest true being of my opinion we need someone like Solorg (except he got banned).

The Competitions we've had of late have been of a fairly good nature, I think DropFall did the best anyone could, the problem was very specific, a lack of participation which mainly stemmed from not having an active PoC running.  Many posters have said that they didn't know that a competition was running (despite it being on the central boards and announced to the greater whole of the 40konline community).  A PoC would ensure that a lack of communication would not occur, which I believe would result in competitions having a larger turnout.  Additionally since a PoC would in essence be either running or supervising an event prizes in the way of Elite titles could be awarded (like they once were in the Vanguard ranking scheme starting with Grot (or Specialty Grot), Boy (then specialty Boy), Nob, Nob Elite and finally Warboss and Warlord).

I know that I may be alone in my opinion.  I know that there are many that I am probably not speaking for.

So if you like my proposal, or any proposal for that matter for the creation of a new Ork Path of Command style Community then the community as a whole needs to hear you.  The Ork Moderators need to hear you.  I need to hear you.

No one is a mind reader you know.  There is no way to know how you feel if you don't speak up.  If you are against it I think everyone needs to know as well.

This should be one of those Megathreads that end up being more than one page long as the results of it affect everyone currently on the Ork Boards and everyone that will be on the Ork boards in the future.

Peace
~OD
Truly beautiful work. That's the kind of stuff that makes a true mekanik cry tears of joy.
OD, you once again prove that your are still the freakin Da Vinci of plasticard

Offline JimmyHatfield

• Ork Boy
  • It looks like that guy fell on a can of red paint
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 01:13:53 PM »
All this talk about how someone did something in the past, I have no idea what the PoC is for, what is its function?  What does the person in charge of PoC do?  I don't understand the reasoning behind having some weird position within a forum, but I'm new.  I do like the idea of elite names, possibly based on the number of posts one has.  I just don't get the whole idea.

Offline Changeyname

• Mek| I gotz da loudz WAAAAAAAAAAGH! | Battlefield Orkespondent | Best Modeller | This years Dizz (I lose by choice!)
  • Ancient
  • Wolverine or double Batman.... you decide
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 02:13:09 PM »
The idea of a PoC is not to have a title based on the number of posts but on the number of outstanding contributions made to the Ork community

So as a for instance, posting a great quality tactica or konversion/painting guide, consistently giving in-depth advice to army lists posted by other members and generally stuff which goes above and beyond the normal posting habits of most forum members (I'm not talking 40kO here, this forum is one of the best for member contributions)

The main problem with the first Waaagh (solorgs vanguard) was the structure was too close to achievements such as those seen in computer games:
"Have you got x, y and z boxes ticked? congrtaz new title" which didnt work in my opinion

The only real failing of the last waaagh as far as I can tell was timing, it was started just before the summer and member traffic always takes a dive during the decent weather and so then did the interest of the leader Andromidius

RE: the competitions, I genuinely do think that the placement was an issue, I was running the fiction comp at around the same time (kicked it off as the other ended) and I got triple the entrants in the Fiction board where traffic is always slower regardless of time of year etc
But because the announcement wasnt a sticky it got read and hence got entered, hell some people dont even have the boards which arent armies they play show up in their "new posts" lists but a general announcement rather than an add no to a sticky might very well have helped

Now I'd be more than happy to help out with a new Waaagh or with rebooting the current one should that be the prefered option, I know first hand Andro is thinking of having another crack at it if people are more active in it this time round
The Blackest Night falls from the skies,
The darkness grows as all light dies,
We crave your hearts and your demise,
By my black hand--The dead shall rise!

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 02:21:43 PM »
I really like the idea of POC, maybe have one for each clan like the eldar have one for each craftworld, or have one for each army type. I will volunteer to head the speed freaks, I know there may be some competition for that job so I am getting ready to actively campaign. ;)

I also realize that this means a larger commitment to the board, which at this present moment I am "sorta" able to do. I have weird hours and  work a strange schedule that I cannot with any clarity try to represent, just so you know that I will not be able to be on the board at a set time every day, or even every day for that matter. However, I am willing to do my best at whatever task I may be assigned.

I feel a POC/COC would be an excellent addition to this board, and IMO almost a necessity, someone guaranteed to welcome new members, respond to threads that seem to want to die a premature death, and to steer the direction of the thread in a constructive manner.

To do this I do not need moderator status, but would like it if I could have a mod readily available to assist in governing the unruly and promoting the strong.

We will also need a Green Tide POC, a Kan Wall POC, (I am taking over the Speed Freak position so I won't mention that one) a Goff POC, and so on, there is so much variety of Ork builds that we just cannot narrow it down to one or two.

For those who do not know check out the eldar board where I am a pseudo member of the Saim Hann POC (I must have a thing for red) http://www.40konline.com/index.php?topic=137543.0

Look around they have others, and as you can see they do fairly well.

So to answer GutStikks question: YES
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline OD from TV

• Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2010, 02:48:45 AM »
The main problem with the first Waaagh (solorgs vanguard) was the structure was too close to achievements such as those seen in computer games:
"Have you got x, y and z boxes ticked? congrtaz new title" which didnt work in my opinion
AH!  Thats the argument against Solorg I couldn't remember!

And yes now that you mention it, that system was perhaps a bit to regimented, but at the same time I know that not everyone that achieved Boy status wrote a Battlefield Narrative (aka battle report) which was supposedly the requirement along with a minimum post count of what was it 50 or 100.  I always interpreted the 'structure' as more of a guideline, as in an idea on how to move up the ranks, but not necessarily the only way.

The only real failing of the last waaagh as far as I can tell was timing, it was started just before the summer and member traffic always takes a dive during the decent weather and so then did the interest of the leader Andromidius
I admittedly was not on the forums for most of Andromidius's time as Warboss, but I don't think it got started around the summer, as the election that saw him win Warboss was right at the end of Dec 2008 and beginning of Jan 2009.  While I am sure that many things were going on in real life as well as behind the scenes via PMs and conferences of sorts with the heads of other PoCs/CoCs I'd have hoped that Andromidius would have gotten things started sooner than the summer.

Now I'd be more than happy to help out with a new Waaagh or with rebooting the current one should that be the prefered option, I know first hand Andro is thinking of having another crack at it if people are more active in it this time round
Well the first time I've noticed Andromidius on the Ork Boards this year was a few days ago.  In the event that what you say is true Changeyname that Andromidius backed out of the Warboss position due to a lack of interest last year, and wants to take up the mantle of the leader of the PoC/CoC now I have to ask the question of where exactly he's been, and how do we know that you'll have interest enough to stay the leader of the PoC/CoC.  I don't mean to sound like an [expletive deleted] hole, but that I believe that is a valid and important question to be asked.

I really like the idea of POC, maybe have one for each clan like the eldar have one for each craftworld, or have one for each army type. I will volunteer to head the speed freaks, I know there may be some competition for that job so I am getting ready to actively campaign
I have no idea what your talking about Skeetergod, who could possibly compete with you on this endeavor.

Peace
~OD
Truly beautiful work. That's the kind of stuff that makes a true mekanik cry tears of joy.

Offline DropFall

• Bad Moon Big Mek
  • What were all those "do not's" again?
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2010, 03:02:53 AM »
Until newer Ork forum members actually bother to involve themselves in anything beyond asking the thrice-asked (massive understatement) questions, a POC is utterly pointless. The whole 'build it and they will come' failed epicly for the competitions, as well as the previous (has it been dissolved?) POC lead by Andromidius.

There is also another problem, which relates to above paragraph, beyond the competitions there is nothing for the newer Ork forum members to involve themselves with. Sure you could create a POC, but then what's next?

And I'm always around OD.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 03:51:15 AM by DropFall »

Offline OD from TV

• Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2010, 03:42:23 AM »
Yeah well I haven't seen any posts for a spell, thought maybe your comp was turned on, but no one behind it.

As Changeyname mentioned one of the problems was because of the sticky and the lack of people who read stickies (and I believe that includes most of the regular posters of the Ork forums).  I can only perceive that Andromidius's led PoC has been dissolved since there hasn't been any real PoC activity (like him or not Solorg was a great motivator for activity especially in the Green Vanguard thread which despite not being a Sticky was always close to the top of the page).

One of the other things Changeyname noted was how participation on the boards dies away during summer as many people become occupied with other activities.  I thought your competitions were great, I mean its really tough to go out on a limb and not only volunteer to run a single competition, but a competition every 2-3 months or so is a real hard thing.  Additionally I know I wanted to participate in each, but was only able to in the Fluff, which I believe most people on 40konline avoid fluff or personalized fluff as if it were the plague.

As for the question of 'what's next' well I kinda view a PoC as the kind of sky's the limit type of organization.  In order to interest newbies yea the occasional competition would be helpful, but a PoC can't merely survive on such flair.  Rather it needs more of a spectacle associated around with it, as well as other services that more experienced players could provide.  I'm not talking general advice on the boards like is done every day, I'm talking bigger than that.

Once established an Ork PoC could possibly be used in conjunction with another PoC in a rival board for a 'friendly competition' similar to the Eldar PoC quest for the Ceriwnadas which pitted all 5 major Craftworlds against each other in a GW style campaign with thoughtful and fluffy missions, or its sequel the 40konline wide campaign where members of all 40k races played for the control of an Eldar Titan as well as Spiritstones which powered it.  Such a major event would stimulate a ton of growth, interest, and a whole lot of fun memorable games that could theoretically be player around the world. 

Add to that some of the best things about Solorg's Vanguard such as reward banners/user pictures, encouragement to finish those undone projects, and expand to possibly even reward minis for certain events, an Orky styled Secret Santa, heck these are just some ideas that are comming straight off the top of my head (and probably sound like it too).

Peace
~OD
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 03:44:53 AM by OD from TV »

Offline DropFall

• Bad Moon Big Mek
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2010, 03:54:44 AM »
One of the other things Changeyname noted was how participation on the boards dies away during summer as many people become occupied with other activities.
Its only summer in the northern hemisphere, those in equatorial regions or down south are still here.

Offline Jack_Merridew

• Kommando Nob
  • Shhh....be warry warry quiet, I'm huntn' umies...
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2010, 03:32:23 PM »
If we are campaigning for jobz, I vote myself for asker of inane semi ork related questions.  I also love competitions and would love to be a morale officer of sorts. 

Honestly, I think we have a ton of good material on the website already.  We've breakdowns of units and strategies.  There are so many resources available on this forum already for the ork player that it seems we don't have as much need to keep posting.  New members and random questions from random guests aside, we need a way to to get members going.  Competitions that are shorter and more often.  Challenges.  Battle Reports.  More Dakka!

If we can get the ball rolling and keep it rolling then we should do fine.  oh, and I vote for Skeetergods mustache as the speed freek boss!

Offline angel of death 007

• Dreadbash Warboss | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2010, 06:19:42 PM »
As a previous member of the Green Vanguard under Solorg, I will say that I kinda lost interest when everything changed.  Solorg may have had some leadership issues that needed addressed but he was also functioning mostly by himself.   

As a member of the Biel Tan Eldar POC I will say that structure does help a lot.  It isn't just the leader but they need others inside the POC that are active and help to maintain events, problems, recruitment, and keep people interested.  Though our leader spent a lot of his time over seas being deployed the board still functioned well mostly because of the members on it.   

Solorg did keep the board interesting.  He was very active on the board and had a lot of energy.  So i can't talk bad about him.

All this talk about how someone did something in the past, I have no idea what the PoC is for, what is its function?  What does the person in charge of PoC do?  I don't understand the reasoning behind having some weird position within a forum, but I'm new.  I do like the idea of elite names, possibly based on the number of posts one has.  I just don't get the whole idea.

A POC basically is for those interested in a particular army or branch of that army.  The function is to help newer members with lists, modeling, painting, fluff, tactics and advice.  It also works because you get a lot of vetern players who share your interest that you can bounce ideas off of, debate fluff or topics with, or get solid advice or tactics from. 

The person in charge of a POC basically watches the members of it's POC plus the whole 40konline community.  They plan events, debate topics, publish or assist in the publishing of articles to aid their members. 

The reason for promotion / position is very important.  First off it shows your devotion to the board or POC to other members.  Also as you get more rank your voice seems to get heard more often or you are included in decisions or votes.  You have displayed that you are helpful, knowledgable, and devoted.  To get rank in most POC's they look at your postings on that particular board.  Orks look at posting in ork forums, campaigns, conversion, painting and sometimes in other forums as well.  People ask advice all the time, even those who have played awhile or veterns do.  Your particpation in helping answer questions, give advice, and help those in your community builds your relationship with them.  If someone comments on your list, gives you paint or conversion help, shows you a different tactic that might help your army function better, wouldn't the next time you have a question, wouldn't you ask them?  more than likely the answer is "yes"  The thing is by having a very helpful and active member on the board and rewarding them with a title it not only inspires people but also know that this guy/ gal isn't full of crap they got their rank cuz they know something so even if their advice is a bit out there at times try it and it might amaze you. 

Higher rank usually gives you a place and more imporantly a voice amoungst your board.  A double edged sword because you have to get imput on what your memebers want otherwise you make them angry or disappoint them.  As the saying goes you can't make everyone happy all the time.

When a board is active, and people post things and get responses it makes them want to continue to post on that board.  The more responses usually promotes a debate and a sharing of knowledge and minds.  Not only that once you get more and more people involved they feel that they are part of something and their opinions do matter.  The activity blossoms and then there are the contests, events and what have you that make fond memories. 

So you say that so and so did something in the past why does it matter?   it matters because it meant something to enough people that they do remember it.   I still remember being a part of the campaign even though I think at the time it was my Tau army that was in it.   Not to mention the contests and that really helped motivate people like me to get that squad built, painted and finished.   Not only that you kinda got to show it off a bit too...   I got more stuff painted than ever.

I am all for a POC or organized board for orks.   I have been buying, building and painting a lot of Ork models and they are still one of my favorite armies to build / convert.  Not to mention the Forgeworld support that has been coming out for orks makes them my premier Apocalypse army.  There has never been a better time to go green.   With some organization and some support I think that there is definate potential for an ork POC to grow in interest.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 06:23:32 PM by angel of death 007 »

Offline JimmyHatfield

• Ork Boy
  • It looks like that guy fell on a can of red paint
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2010, 12:01:56 AM »
Well I'm sold.  I really like OD's idea to have cross board competitions, I don't know if thats like the Arena of Death series but that appeals to me too.  I'm still a noob to Orks, only been playing them for about 6 months, Tau for 1 1/2yrs, 40k for 3-4 years.  I can't offer too much veteran advice but this sounds like a great idea. 

Offline OD from TV

• Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2010, 12:36:32 AM »
I think angel of death's phrasing of what a PoC/CoC is and how it can be utilized to its full potential is the by far the best phrasing (and argument) for the creation/re-launching of an Orky PoC/CoC.

If we are campaigning for jobz, I vote myself for asker of inane semi ork related questions.  I also love competitions and would love to be a morale officer of sorts. 
oh, and I vote for Skeetergods mustache as the speed freek boss!

While I applaud your enthusiasm Jack, I think its a little premature for any of us to try and campaign or jury for positions, if for no other reason than the reformation of a CoC has yet to come to pass.  While I myself am very gung-ho about it (as well as several others) we need to do it right, which from my stance requires input from the greater 40konline community, specifically from the leaders of the other PoC/CoCs that are in current existence.

Add to that the need to learn from experience, specifically where the old CoC went right, and where it went wrong.

After looking thru the PM's that I haven't deleted from the formation of the original CoC, I saw something which I had forgotten.  Solorg didn't just step up and say I'm in charge, he was practically uniformly chosen by the small band of us initially led by Gutstikk (who while not yet a Mod was the un-official founder of the Ork CoC).  Solorg was thrust upon the seat of power as he was the most senior member of the board and the most sensible choice.  No offense to anyone on the board, but I don't think we have anyone like that at the present moment which is why I advocate a general election similar to the one that took place after Solorg's Banishment.

Peace
~OD

Post Script: Gah I've been ninja-d!
nice to hear that you're on board Jimmy!  Has for cross board competitions being my idea, I'd love to take the credit, but I believe credit must be placed on where it is due, namely the great Gutstikk, who created and ran the 40konline Tournament which held dozens of players from each race all allied into 4 distinct factions where each week (for what was it 4-6 weeks) there was not one but 3 different missions taking place at 3 different point values.  This competition not only had a strong fluff value associated with it, but had terrain/effect generators based off of 3 majorly important worlds, as well as what can be equated with Sidequest missions.  For me participating in the event not only as one of the players, but as one of 4 Faction Coordinators and the games that took place as a result of was the greatest of my 40k experience.

It was because of that competition that I ended up writing my first Battlereport (a game which my Eldar opponent practically handed to me due to his poor deployment), met and communicated with the greater 40konline community (I had never really had any conversations with major active board members like Moc or Starky beforehand and ended up earning their scorn thru friendly competition), and the final game of the competition taking place just before the release of 5th Edition provided me with my very first Apoc game which I played against allied Grey Knights, Eldar, and Chaos Marines (each race part of a rival faction).

Even if I hadn't led the Mercenary Faction to victory, I'd still count it as the greatest 40k experience of my life (thanks again Gutstikk!).  Events like the 40konline summer tourny of 08 really stick out in people's minds and they remember it.  A truly great event would energize the boards in ways that I can't even describe.  While I don't have the technical expertise of Gutstikk to pull it off, in the past 2 years I have to admit that I've often dreamed of trying to bang something together that could be similar, if scaled down version of the campaign.

Offline incredibleskulk

• Ork Boy | KoN Veteran
  • I think, therefore I win
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2010, 12:45:38 AM »
well, if youre asking whats next...my suggestion is a forum wide writing of a full and complete tactica page, stickied to the very top. if you head over to the chaos armis and tactics board you will understand what i mean. they have a forum based discussion on tactics on a unit by unit breakdown, as discussed and then posted by the thread and community.  i think thats a great idea and would improve posting activity. then it could be organized and locked for future readers!
The key to victory is the ratio of quantity divided by the ratio of quality multiplied by the points of an army, then times zero, minus how bad you roll dice on average.

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2010, 04:38:56 PM »
I will say that the painting competitions really got me motivated to get my stuff in order.   And as seeing as I have 3 kans built, 3 unbuilt, 1 dread built and one dread unbuilt, not to mention a ton of boyz, trukks, etc that I need to get motivated to do... that might just motivate me.... 

Offline Gutstikk

• Infinity Circuit | Title here to be dreaded 'til further notice. Rummy's Deepstriking Pylon
  • Ancient
  • I am a Wolf.
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2010, 02:01:55 AM »
Lots of good ideas in here so far. Of course, what it comes down to is leadership and participation. To implement any of these ideas effectively, we need someone who'll take it upon themselves to do the leading, and support from the members of the Ork community [or at least the regulars].

Since the question of whether or not to have competitions run from a sticky, do ya'll feel it would be better to keep it unstickied? I realize that many don't read the stickies even though it is actually a requirement as per the forum rules.

Let's start with that first, since Dropfall's been doing a hell of a job trying to keep the competitions going, and it's something we're already doing that encourages and rewards participation. How best can we give him the support he needs [besides merely signing up] to ensure these things go off without a hitch? Can we tie participation in the competitions into something else? The most obvious idea is of course to have some sort of title... but maybe there's other ideas here as well. What are your thoughts?

Offline incredibleskulk

• Ork Boy | KoN Veteran
  • I think, therefore I win
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2010, 02:12:17 AM »
if a competition is to be held, IMO, it must be posted in the very top of the forum with rules and faces of the wagh etc in order to insure consistent participation.  I would offer my services but would not know how to properly run the boards systems, that and im an ork noob!
The key to victory is the ratio of quantity divided by the ratio of quality multiplied by the points of an army, then times zero, minus how bad you roll dice on average.

Offline DropFall

• Bad Moon Big Mek
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2010, 08:03:41 AM »
if a competition is to be held, IMO, it must be posted in the very top of the forum with rules and faces of the wagh etc in order to insure consistent participation. 
You do realise the very first sticky in the list of stickies is the Ork forums competitions and winners thread which has the rules as its first post?

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2010, 02:50:07 PM »
Since the question of whether or not to have competitions run from a sticky, do ya'll feel it would be better to keep it unstickied? I realize that many don't read the stickies even though it is actually a requirement as per the forum rules.

How best can we give him the support he needs [besides merely signing up] to ensure these things go off without a hitch? Can we tie participation in the competitions into something else? The most obvious idea is of course to have some sort of title... but maybe there's other ideas here as well. What are your thoughts?

On the sticky note...  I think that If you had say a contest to paint kans... gave the people a month.  Let them post their first pic (before) and then post their after pics, maybe let the room for comments in between.   This should keep the post active and as such it should be close to the top.  At the end of the say month then do a vote / poll to see who everyone thinks is the winner.  All ork forum members can participate and vote.

As far as that participation goes, titles are good custom type titles for those that are active.  Give the organizer the ability to give them custom titles in reference to their conversion / painting skills.  Though you should also reward those who are entering the contests and those voting in them.  As far as an actual method I think it should be part of the vote once a CoC or Poc is established.  Definately one of the first issues to discuss, rank, titles and how one achieves them.   Have a vote or poll amoungst the group to get an idea of what the group likes.

Offline Teej

• Orkscribe
  • I know where da best fightin' iz
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2010, 11:54:47 PM »

I would love to see the CoC return. Solorg may not have been been the perfect leader...but he had a knack for getting the boys movin' and thats all we can really ask for in a Warboss. After reading a brief history of the CoC on another post in the forum, I felt a twinge of guilt for just up and leaving the board. I have always wanted to see this forum excel. Although I have not been a major contributor in the past, I am ready to get stuck in again.

OD has some good ideas, I would definitely be on board for some Speed freek/Ard Boys/Mek Shanty CoC. Intercompetition is what makes us Orks, it seems only fitting.

but the chain needs more than just specialty titles, if the Boss looses interest (or is otherwise performing unsatisfactorily) there should be a second in command Nob/what-have-you to step up and take his place. Restarting the CoC everytime leadership changes proved to be a poor idea and resulted in a lack of interest and familiarity with the members

The Kontests should be less frequent as well, as there are not enough members on the board yet. Burnout is a direct factor in not only Contestants, but voter turnout as well. Simply put, the Kontests should feel more important. Article write ups, well written battle reports, and other projects should generate the activity of this board. If any of you are familiar with the Tauticas in the tau forum...I don't even play tau anymore, but have been stalking the Tau boards frequently due to their incredibly well written articles. We need to bring in people from other boards who are looking to get a better understanding of what Orks are, and Tactics for and against them. The only off board action I see currently is the "How do I beat X Ork unit with Y Army."

The Ultimate Goal of the CoC should be to build a community which can educate not only our members and make them stronger players, but the 40kOnliner as a whole. I want Guard players to come to our board to learn about what experienced Orks play like, instead of just asking on their respective boards like what probably occurs now.

All in all, I want the Ork board to have a strong community and I would love to be a part of it.

Additionally since a PoC would in essence be either running or supervising an event prizes in the way of Elite titles could be awarded (like they once were in the Vanguard ranking scheme starting with Grot (or Specialty Grot), Boy (then specialty Boy), Nob, Nob Elite and finally Warboss and Warlord).

I never received my specialty title from the Green Vanguard Fiction Kontest! Teej ULTIMATE ORKSCRIBE :)