News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: new player...  (Read 631 times)

Offline Mr.Tanks

• Grot
  • Lord Despot of Dakka.
  • Armies: The Brave & Noble Albion 212th Imperial Guard
new player...
« on: November 15, 2007, 07:04:16 PM »
...well thats a lie, but im looking to start. now i know the tau lack CC ability and that this is made up for by their speed etc but i have a few questions

1)WTF are vespids, WTF are they for and are they any good at it?
2)can i make an effective force without taking kroot or vespids(im guessing yes but im also guessing thats my inexperience)
3)erm, thats about it, oh wait, is it possible for me to de-tach the gun drones from teh transports and place them infront (within any limits) so i get however many inches to fire without fear of being assaulted?

any and all help appreciated
What I cannot crush with words, I shall crush with the tanks of the Imperial Guard!

Offline Gwaihir

• Infinity Circuit
Re: new player...
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2007, 07:15:25 PM »
1.  Vespids are a version of jump pack troops with guns which are suited for takiing out MEQs.
2.  Most tau armies I have seen have neither kroot nor vespids.
3.  No idea.

Read the story behind custom titles and tell us about yours.

"You cannot win tommorow, for you do not know why we fight today."  --Farseer Fa'alorath, Craftworld Fa'alnor-The Fate Weavers.

Offline Mr.Tanks

• Grot
  • Lord Despot of Dakka.
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2007, 07:20:01 PM »
so are kroot and vespids just and expensive and unnecessary unit to fill an imaginary void that GW has created?

btw i don't have the codex yet, but ill be geting it on saturday.
What I cannot crush with words, I shall crush with the tanks of the Imperial Guard!

Offline Gwaihir

• Infinity Circuit
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2007, 07:27:51 PM »
Well they make some sense from a fluff standard as the Tau are a benevolent empire (compared to other races who want to kill all who are different) and are willing to incorporate aliens into their armies.  So Kroot and Vespids are part of their battle forces.

I can't offer much from a tactical perspective as I am not a Tau player.  My knowledge is mostly limited to observations after having played against them and watching them.  I think many Tau players would rather focus on shooting so the kroot don't fit their mood well.  The Vespids have limited range and are rather fragile so I think a lot of players don't feel like they really get enough out of them.

Read the story behind custom titles and tell us about yours.

"You cannot win tommorow, for you do not know why we fight today."  --Farseer Fa'alorath, Craftworld Fa'alnor-The Fate Weavers.

Offline thecarpenter01

• Newest
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2007, 08:51:42 PM »
This is my first post. 
#1. Vespids are jump troops that are pretty fast and have OK guns. They are also decent at CC.
#2: Definetly, I don't have many auxilaries in my current army. I only have a box of kroots that I use on occasion. 
#3: I'm not sure exactly what you are asking. They can be detacthed 2 inches. They can assualt and block the devilfish. And when detacthed count as a seperate unit. 
Hope this helps. All of this is in the codex.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2007, 09:05:28 PM »
Vespids.

Kroot and Vespids add flavour but are not compulsory by any means. They're additional types of units which may be used if the player so wished but are not game winners or required to win by any means. There are also these human attachments whose name escapes me currently as the link hasn't been spammed into every thread at least once a day..... Human Auxiliaries. That's the name.

You may detach your Gun Drones and operate them as their own Squadron. The exception is for Team vehicles (Piranha) where all of the squadron drones must jump out at the same time to form a single Squadron.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Mr.Tanks

• Grot
  • Lord Despot of Dakka.
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2007, 04:59:24 AM »
ahh cool, thats exactyl what i wanted to know about gun drones on vehicles, like i said, haven't got the coex yet but i'll be getting it tomorrow, thanks a bunch