News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Comments on my list please(NooB)  (Read 223 times)

Offline Durareh DarkBlade

Comments on my list please(NooB)
« on: May 20, 2003, 10:46:58 PM »
Hey,

I tried my first list on Sunday and although I split 2 games there were big flaws. I have since changed it to the following below. Could you Biel-Tan experts help out.
I am trying to get to 1850 points with a core list that I can use to assault and be a little shooty as well. Thanks.

Marc

Swordwind Army

1 Farseer (HQ)
     CC Weapon (x1)
     Shuriken Pistol (x1)
     Runes of Witnessing
     Guide

1 Farseer (HQ)
     CC Weapon (x1)
     Shuriken Pistol (x1)
     Runes of Witnessing
     Guide

20 Guardian Defender Squad (Elites)
     Shuriken Catapult

2 Grav Platform & Crew
          Shuriken Catapult (x2)
          Star Cannon (x1)

1 Warlock
          CC Weapon (x1)
          Shuriken Pistol (x1)
          Conceal [20]

4 Dark Reapers (Troops)
     Reaper Launcher

4 Dark Reapers (Troops)
     Reaper Launcher

9 Howling Banshees (Troops)
     Power Weapon
     Shuriken Pistol
     Banshee Mask

1 Exarch
          Executioner
          Shuriken Pistol
          Banshee Mask

1 Wave Serpent
          Linked Shuriken Catapults
          Linked Star Cannon
          Spirit Stone

9 Striking Scorpions (Troops)
     Mandiblasters
     Shuriken Pistol & CCW
     Plasma & Haywire Grenades

1 Exarch
          Mandiblasters
          Scorpion's Claw
          Shuriken Pistol
          Plasma & Haywire Grenades
          Crushing Blow

1 Wave Serpent
          Linked Shuriken Catapults
          Linked Bright Lances
          Spirit Stone

1 Wraithlord (Heavy Support)
     Flamer (x1)
     Shuriken Catapult (x1)
     Bright Lance

Flamer (x1)
     Shuriken Catapult (x1)
     Bright Lance

Flamer (x1)
     Shuriken Catapult (x1)
     Star Cannon

Models in Army: 58

Total Army Cost: 1731

Offline klardom

• Coffee: That which gives substance to life.
Re:Comments on my list please(NooB)
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2003, 11:14:01 PM »
arrgggg....3 wraithlords and 2 reaper squads...whywhywhy?  I'd say drop 2 of the 'lords and a farseer, give the other farseer fortune and have him ride with the scorpions, and then get yourself some fire dragons for additional anti-tank ability.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.

Offline Durareh DarkBlade

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2003, 11:17:01 PM »
About the Wraithlords, that must be a duplicate too many times. I do not even own 3 wraithlords. I have 20 striking scorpions and 20 Howling banshees. How about the fire prism?

Offline klardom

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2003, 11:41:23 PM »
I don't have any experience with the fire prism, but truthfully I'd much rather have more aspect warriors.  I'd say if you can bring more banshees or scorps in a waveserpent, double charging a squad with 2 squads of really any CC aspect is incredibly effective...and forturned scorpions last FOREVER...I had a squad of 9 with an exarch and a farseer take out the better part of 2 jumppack assault squads before finally getting taken down.  One for one it's not particularly smart to send banshees against marines, especially if there's another squad nearby...double charging is always safer...and you can always use more CC aspects.

Offline mindwarp

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2003, 11:51:47 PM »
Personally speaking, I would go with 2 units of banchee in the WS w/ their exarchs and goodies.

Im with Klardom in that The seer needs to be with the scorpians. I would however not put them in a WS, I would use them a a base unit to protect your HQ. Make sure you put fortune on the seer if you do it that way.

March the HQ w/ Scorpians up the middle behind cover where aplicable ect.. your flank units on left and right in WS's and the Wraithlord behind the Scorp's. That way in a frontal assult your Scorpians can attack, but your WL can still FoF if he is needed.  He also helps protect you from deep strike attacks from the rear.

This tactic will bring them knocking on your door. Especially with the reapers and the weapons platform shooting every turn.

MarzJesterOfDeath

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2003, 12:18:48 AM »
personally, i hate the fire prism.  it doesn't make up for its point cost.  points would be better spent elswwhere.  more aspect warriors, or some vypers.

Offline klardom

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2003, 12:41:43 AM »
I would keep the farseer in with the scorps with fortune, it effectivly gives them an armor save better than 2+, and given the amount of CC troops being used, i'm not sure a double flanking force would be a good idea, especially not with the scorps up the middle.  With this force I'd initially split the force, 2 serpents on one side, one on the other, and then re-deploy the 3rd serpent first turn.  This tends to throw off most opponents as suddenly an expected attack is coming on the other side of the board.  Throw the wraithlord up on the middle or so, he'll attract alot of firepower, and put the reapers/guardians about 1/3 of the way down the board by the main flanking force.  Deep strike isn't too much of a problem, as anyone with the guts to do so will be facing 2 reaper squads and a full squad of guardians, plus whatever firepower you can spare from your wraithlord (if he's still alive, expect him to die) and your serpents.  

This will give you a well protected fire base and a powerful assault element, proceed to shoot the crap out of the flank, assault it, and then just roll on up. Oh, and you can't FoF the wraithlord mindwarp  ;).