News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Newb questions about Tyrandis  (Read 1563 times)

Offline nosferatubgc

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Newb questions about Tyrandis
« on: March 24, 2013, 01:00:05 AM »
Good evening, I have been playing another tabletop war-game for several years and now to support a friend's local comic shop I am going to start playing 40k.  I have always had a fascination with the game and especially Tyranids, I love the look of the models.  I have been reading over the 6th Edition rules and my 5th edition Tyranid codex, I guess that this is the latest book for our army.  I have a couple questions listed below:

1. Are Scything Talons/Rending Claws two weapons to grant the extra attack bonus? 

2. Does the whole unit have to be in range of a Synapse Creature to gain the benefits or does only one model in the unit need to be in range?

3. Do Lashwhips reduce the initiative of the entire unit or only those b2b with the model equipped with it?

4. I bought my first unit of Tyranid Warrior and looking it over it only has one sheet "L" so it had only one set of Rending Claws and extra set of Scything Talons, is this how is normally meant to come?

I appreciate any help and answers, thank you.

Offline tyraniddude

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: Newb questions about Tyrandis
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 02:38:13 AM »
as you can tell by my user name I like Tyranids alot and have been playing them for many years
anyway,
1. neither give you an extra attack
2. nope, only one and even then, only PART of its base
3. only the model (or models) in B2B
4. that is totaly normal (stupid if you ask me, but normal)

Offline GaleRazorwind

• Hormagaunt
  • Ziltoid Lives!
  • Armies: Nids, BA, CSM
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 02:54:32 AM »
Tyraniddude summed everything up quite nicely.

Tyranids never gain the bonus for having two close combat weapons, but we get to use all of our close combat weapons and our biomorphs when we attack (normally models can only use the special rules of one close combat weapon at a time) and most Tyranid models already have an Attacks value which represents our extra close combat potential.

As for Lash Whips, they only effect models who were in B2B with a Lash Whip at the start of the Fight Sub-Phase (after assault moves but before piling in).

Currently, the best way to get Rending Claws for Warriors is to buy a box of Genestealers. If you don't care about the Stealers at all, you can pilfer all 8 pairs of Rending Claws from them and you will have all you need for a full squad of Warriors. If you actually want to field the Stealers, the trick is that you can take 4 pairs of Claws for the Warriors and then use one Claw and one "mutated hand" bit for each Stealer (you will have to model them with Scything Talons, too).

That is one of the things you can keep in mind for Nids. The arms on the small/medium bugs are interchangeable with each other, and the arms for the big/huge bugs are interchangeable with each other. This can make modelling certain builds much easier. You just have to look for the boxes with the parts you want.

As a side note, the Tyranid Warrior box is actually a very old kit. I think it has been around since late 3rd edition (like 10 years old). As such, it was from the era of when boxes had nowhere near enough parts to make all the options. The more modern kits typically come with a huge number of optional parts to allow you to build any of the main options. E.g. the "new" plastic Ravener box comes with Dual ScyTals and Scytal/Rending Claws for all three models while the old metal kits had no Rending Claw option at all.

Finally, I will direct you to the Tyranid FAQ and the main Rulebook FAQ. These contain many updated rules and answers to common questions. Each army has their own FAQ, and you should print out a copy of at least your army's and the rulebook's FAQs to keep with you while you are gaming. Nothing worse than having a question pop up and not having the FAQ to help answer it. You can find the FAQs on Games Workshop's website by searching for "FAQ".
Ziltoid is so omniscient, if there were to be two omnisciences, he would be both!

Offline Travellar

• Lieutenant
  • Hey Farley, call headquarters.
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 11:04:19 PM »
Welcome to 'Nids!
Since your immediate questions have already been answered, allow me to pontificate a little on building a 'Nid army. (based on experience, with every codex since brownbook 3rd ed.)

Each new codex, certain things that were previously possible/good ideas become obsolete/bad ideas.  If you start building your army around the most basic models in the range, you'll probrably do just fine from one codex to the next.  It's the greater stretches that tend to go away, (like an entire warrior brood with wings and venom cannons).   

Also, you need more Gaunts.
"he's either the most brilliant troll ever, or he's crazy." -Bloodhawk