News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Painting with difficult paints  (Read 3961 times)

Offline Jerseyboy381

• The Jersey General
Painting with difficult paints
« on: June 21, 2008, 03:31:48 PM »
I finally started the Tau I've been toying with for some time now.  I thought I had a great color scheme planned.  I'd do a black prime then use red gore for the main color and codex grey for the trim/random armor panels like you see in Tau so often.  Last night I started painting a crisis suit and the red gore isn't covering well at all.  I've done 3 light coats and it's just now starting to look passable.  I figure one more light coat will do it, but if every model will take this much work, I'm going to have to rethink things.  Is there anything I could do to get the paint to coat better?  If I don't have a way soon, I'll probably invert the scheme and make the red the secondary and grey the primary.  That way I can still use the red model as my Shas'o and he'll stand out as the HQ.  Any ideas?

PS, I use Citadel paints.
Everyone else is doing it so...Behold the great General's gaming blog!
Armies: ULTRAmarines!, Necron, Vampire Counts, Pure Nurgle CSM.
Work-in-progress armies:Tau, Orks, Empire.

Offline Sandrew

Re: Painting with difficult paints
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2008, 04:01:13 PM »
Red over black is going to take you a long time, no matter how you do it. Best I can think of is to do a layer of Mechrite Red first.

Hoe onmachtig klinkt het schriel `te wapen',
Waar de levenswil ten strijd mee noodt,
Naast der doodsklaroenen schrille stoot,
Die de grijsaards oproept met de knapen.

Offline Raven

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2008, 07:12:00 PM »
Either use the suggested foundation paint, or go the following route:

Paint the red areas with a solid coat of grey (codex would be fine, though I'm inclined to say fortress, you'll have to test which is more suited for the end result you want) first, then go over with the red once its dry. the lighter colours allow the red to show properly.

Offline evileyevirtue

• Tastes like chicken...
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2008, 07:17:57 PM »
I painted a bunch of Blood Ravens and the final color was red gore with a blood red highlight.  I also used a black primer and I had two methods, depending. 

1:  Paint a layer or two of Scab Read before you lay down Red Gore.  It made it easier to color the Red Gore.

2.  If you want it a bit brighter (not much) paint something like snakebite leather, then scab red then red gore.

You don't need to make the layers below the gore 100% solid, just so that it has an even coat.  Hope that helps :-)
Friends don't let friends play Dark Eldar :)

Visit my BLOG!!!

Offline Deathklok

• Bad Trader, scam artist, not to be trusted. BANNED
  • Finally, I got BANNED
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2008, 07:23:36 PM »
Use the lack of coverage to your advantage!

I paint on the Red Gore in successive layers like highlights leaving the darker areas with just one coat, then do the last highlight with a mix of RG and Blood Red and wash it with the new Baal Red wash. The key to bold and bright colors is to start dark and work up to a good bright color. The more contrast between the shadow and highlight you have, the better it will look. I will be posting results of this method tonight in the Summer Painting Challenge thread.
And so, after much wait, BANNED

Offline Radium

• Just another guy.
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2008, 07:48:46 AM »
What I usually do for red is: dark flesh, bestial brown + scab red, red highlight (they all work fine from here on).
Knowledge is power; guard it well.

Offline MoonMan

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2008, 02:19:30 PM »
For my Blood Pact troopers, I use a basecoat of Mechrite Red, followed by a wash of Devlan Mud. Then I highlight raised areas with Blood Red. It's surprisingly quick and easy due to the effectiveness of the Mechrite Red, and the Blood Red really makes it pop. Here is a model done in this scheme (he's not finished, though the uniform is done):

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

My Blood Pact army blog: http://techpriest.blogspot.com (now updated regularly!)

Offline Lord Kharloth

• BANNED spammer ~ Spammer: Forum Idiot
  • BANNED no?
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2008, 02:24:19 PM »
wow, pretty nice pic, cool conversions as well
BANNED
This user has been banned for continued breaches of the rules despite warnings.

Offline dustermaker

• No Pity! No Remorse! No Fear!
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2008, 03:18:03 PM »
You could always prime the model white, then put down the shade of red you want, then an ink wash in the cracks etc then clean up the red again.
HURRY MAN BEFORE THERE IS STILL TIME!!!!

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/List_of_Space_Marine_Chapters
Link to chaos/loyal chapters with fluff/pics/color schemes etc...

Offline Deathklok

• Bad Trader, scam artist, not to be trusted. BANNED
  • Finally, I got BANNED
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2008, 03:21:36 PM »
Nice there, Moon.
And so, after much wait, BANNED

Offline Khain Mor (/kharandhil)

• <3 huskblades
    • Dark Moon Kabal
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2008, 03:12:03 PM »
You could always prime the model white, then put down the shade of red you want, then an ink wash in the cracks etc then clean up the red again.
that's pretty much what I would do.
Are you even sure why you basecoat in black? your colors are light, if you want them to be nice and done fast why not just basecoat in white?
It's best to coat in black only if you know over half of the model has dark colors. When you have light colors like red on a black coat, you may want to paint the red area in white first. Painting nice layers of red over it will be easier.
The Dark Moon Kabal ,possibly the biggest DE army ever!
over 20k and awesome, what more do you need to click? (last updated the 02/03/2012)

Nothing better than killing a thousand slaves to wake up in the morning.

Offline Jerseyboy381

• The Jersey General
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2008, 03:38:32 PM »
I'm basecoating black because I want the end result to be dark.  I'm looking for a deeper red...almost maroon with a draker grey finish.  My last army was bright so I wnated this one darker.  The red's still being very difficult so I'm going to invert the color scheme.  The grey will be my main color and the red will be the trim.  The other option is to scrap the colors altogether.  The only other color scheme I considered was going green.  Catachan green with Camo green trim.  Of course I've already half done my commander so changing now isn't an option anymore.
Everyone else is doing it so...Behold the great General's gaming blog!
Armies: ULTRAmarines!, Necron, Vampire Counts, Pure Nurgle CSM.
Work-in-progress armies:Tau, Orks, Empire.