News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Sons of Caliban are on the way  (Read 2428 times)

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
Sons of Caliban are on the way
« on: June 20, 2015, 04:29:22 PM »
So the new Dark Angels book is coming hot on the heels of the vanilla codex, which pleases me to see the Unforgiven getting some of the toys they are usually denied.  I've been hearing some interesting things being tossed around on the internet about some of the changes being made to the Dark Angels.

With the pre-orders now up on GW's website, I took a look and, unfortunately, face-palmed.

Interromancy...

Don't get me wrong, I think it is cool that they have their own psychic discipline.  But... really?!?  Interromancy?  The beslubber kinda crap is that?  Can we cut the psychic crap out and just call it torture?  Please?
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
Re: Sons of Caliban are on the way
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2015, 04:54:02 PM »
Weaskthequestionsomancy was already taken?
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2015, 05:29:01 PM »
I thought for sure that youbetterstarttalkingotherwiseI'mgonnabeatyouwithth isphonebookomancy would have been available. :P

Offline Grizzlykin

• Run little eldar, run! ... And KILL THEM ALL !
  • Armies: Eldars, Tau, Necrons
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2015, 05:54:13 PM »
Wait we don't know yet what are this power!
The Grizzly's Arvandor Craftworld!

Quote from: Cavalier
ALL HAIL THE TORNADO! The legend is REBORN.

Quote from: Alienscar
The forum member so nice that even when he is MIA he still gets two votes for being the nicest member

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2015, 05:58:29 PM »
I thought for sure that youbetterstarttalkingotherwiseI'mgonnabeatyouwithth isphonebookomancy would have been available. :P
Except knowing the fluff for the Interrogator-Chaplains, they are shouting that while beating them with the phone book and telling the victim it's for their own good.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2015, 06:10:39 PM »
Gingerbeertrickomancy.

Indeed, the Dark Angels are somewhat (in)famous within certain ranks for how far they'll go for information. Probably GW steering way clear of anything too obvious. Which is weird considering how DE fluff works.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2015, 06:17:54 PM »
Silly name aside, the Interrogator-Chaplain model is sweeeet!!!!!

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2015, 08:11:03 PM »
Silly name?  I will kill you for that statement... 8)
I knew I had fans!!!

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2015, 09:02:29 PM »

Whoops, my bad!  I was talking about Intertomancy being a silly name, not Interrogator-Chaplin.  Interrogator-Chaplin is an awesome name!  ;D

Offline Colonel Twisting Shadow

• Colonel
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • I was told to get a life; so I bought more figs...
  • Armies: What don't I play?
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2015, 11:51:39 PM »

Whoops, my bad!  I was talking about Intertomancy being a silly name, not Interrogator-Chaplin.  Interrogator-Chaplin is an awesome name!  ;D

Don't worry.  Just cuz he's a mod doesn't mean he can hurt you in the real world.  I think.  :-X

But in a more serious sense...GW pulled some atrociomancy in creating that.  it's not like the chaplains are replacing librarians?  RIGHT?

I would have like to see a double table, like the elder have/had; something with a good/dark (fallen?) side.  That, or a Fallen table the OPPONENT can roll on would be pretty sweet. even just for WL traits...

Hey! I know!  Let's focus on building army lists, instead of silly custom titles and command structures, yeah?

From the days of the doctorines.
RIP-Goyder, Koonitz, and Jenkins.  Honour them.

Armies:
ORDER: Elysians 2k5, Armored battlegroup 2k5, Infantry Guard 2k, Dark Angles 4k5, Grey Knights 2k
DISORDER: Chaos 3k, Daemons 2k Dark Eldar 2k5, Nids 2k, Orks 2k5
I'm both proud and ashamed of those numbers...

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2015, 12:12:00 AM »

Don't worry.  Just cuz he's a mod doesn't mean he can hurt you in the real world.  I think.  :-X
Are you willing to bet Tangi's life on that?   ;D

But in a more serious sense...GW pulled some atrociomancy in creating that.  it's not like the chaplains are replacing librarians?  RIGHT?

I would have like to see a double table, like the elder have/had; something with a good/dark (fallen?) side.  That, or a Fallen table the OPPONENT can roll on would be pretty sweet. even just for WL traits...
I don't see them giving chaplains psychic powers.  But Librarians are inducted into Deathwing as soon as they are brought into the chapter because their powers give them certain insights into things.  They also are present for the interrogation of the fallen, using their powers to really beslubber with their minds.
I knew I had fans!!!

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2015, 09:09:52 AM »

Oh but he can...he can hurt my pride and he can hurt my feelings.  Words can hurt!  :o

And yeah erm...Interromancy (I don't like saying that word!  :P) is probably not for Chaplains. 

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2015, 11:06:32 PM »
In terms of something truly unique, a Psychic discipline that relies heavily upon maledictions would be really exciting, from an outside perspective.

The polar opposite of a Buff-mander, the Debuff-mander would be sweet for any army. My loose observation is that DA have a somewhat tough time with hordey armies, being more elite than your average bears. Something that could thin hordes, or make all attacks against a unit have rending... something like that would be a really cool force multiplier, but different from the usual Twin-linked, bonus strength, assorted empowerment spells.

This would be more like taking away your opponent's strength. If that is the route they go, it would be unique, and disturbingly satisfying to play with. ;)

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2015, 01:00:39 AM »
I get money to buy the codex on Tuesday, and am racing down to the LGS store as soon as I can.  I am eager to see what they do with the army.  Although, I would love it if they kept the Sacred Standards the way they are now, maybe decrease their points because reasons!
I knew I had fans!!!

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2015, 01:17:52 PM »
Well, most stuff in the Marine Dex got cheaper, better, or both. So you should be in good shape, especially if you like Termie heavy lists. ;)

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2015, 04:45:52 PM »
Well, I do have forty-something terminators, so yeah... I think I do enjoy Terminator heavy lists  8)
I knew I had fans!!!

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2015, 04:39:46 PM »
Well, picked up the codex today, and I am fairly impressed by it.  The Lion's Blade Strike Force can make for a very durable gun-line against assault armies thanks to Supreme Fire Discipline, a rule that further improves upon what Grim Resolve does for Overwatch.

The inclusion of Grav weaponry is nice to see as well.  Initially, I was disappointed to see that they folded the Sacred Standards back into a single entry, and that the unit that will get the most use out of it is your bog standard Command Squad.  Granted, taking 5 Grav-guns + the Sacred Standard in a drop pod is getting a mobile grav unit that the Dark Angels would not other wise have, seeing as there are no Centurions in the codex.

Three point drop to the Deathwing is nice, considering they have gotten better.  Ravenwing bikers received a 2pt drop in cost, and despite still being restricted to 6 bikes in a squad, have become more durable when Jinking.  Oh, and dedicated Attack Bike Squads!  Yay!

The Darkshroud is a must have for any army that is considering assaulting.  Just absolutely necessary with the improvement to the Icon of Old Caliban for no additional cost.

The flyers effectiveness has increased exponentially.  For the Nephilim, the Blacksword Missiles increased in Strength and AP, it dropped 10pts, and so far hasn't had Missile Lock FAQ'd away.  The Dark Talon... holy beslubber do I want one.  The rift cannon hits like a Demolisher Cannon with the potential to be a Vortex weapon.  The Stasis bomb pretty much guarantees that you can wipe a unit from the table. 

The formations are pretty cool as well.  The Demi-Company increases the bonus for Overwatch granted by Grim Resolve, but not quite to the extent of the Lion's Blade.  The Ravenwing Attack Squadron has so much synergy with the Deathwing and with models in it's own formation.  The Ravenwing Support Squadron has gone full Tau on us when it comes to Overwatch.  I think the two coolest formations though are the Ravenwing Silence Squadron, which is a pair of Nephilim and a Dark Talon that guarantee a hit with the Stasis bomb; and the Hammer of Caliban, a formation that puts a Land Raider of any variant into a vehicle squadron... like three Vindicators.

The Interromancy discipline is actually pretty interesting, althought it is disconcerting that the #6 power is Warp Charge 3, but it has the potential for its effects to be permanent.

The Tactical objectives are fitting for the Dark Angels, with an added bonus being that if you draw one of the 6 Dark Angel objectives, you keep it secret from your opponent until you achieve the objective.

Overall, I am happy with the codex and can't wait to get a game in with it on Thursday.
I knew I had fans!!!

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2015, 07:36:24 PM »
It sounds like they hit the ball out of the park with this one.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2015, 09:29:32 PM »
There is just so much synergy between the units now with the formations.  The Lion's Blade detachment just draws out the biggest contribution to synergy when you are taking Ravenwing Support Squadrons alongside a significant Ravenwing presence.  So far, I have written up a list utilizing the Lion's Blade, but I am going to take a look at what I can do with combining Deathwing and Ravenwing into a list again. 

Although, now that I am looking at it, I am raging a little bit.  They included two Detachments at the back of the book, allowing players to field entire Deathwing or Ravenwing detachments.  The Ravenwing one is no problem, but the Deathwing... there is no way I can field a list that is comprised entirely of Terminator models without automatically losing.  I can either take the Deathwing Redemption Force, which must Deep Strike; or I can take the Deathwing Strike Force, which must deep strike.  There is no provision for coming in turn one, but they both have rules ensuring I have control of when they arrive.  So, if I want to field an entire Terminator list, I will automatically lose because I have no models on the table at the end of a game turn!

What the literal beslubber!!!
I knew I had fans!!!