News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Sweord's WIP(s): Orks; And now Nids!  (Read 5745 times)

Offline Sweord

Sweord's WIP(s): Orks; And now Nids!
« on: January 29, 2010, 01:57:13 PM »
Hi everyone, I've just started 40k a few months ago, and am finally getting an army started. I felt like starting a blog for my Ork army as it progresses, and to document any future armies I might start.

Here's the beginning of my mob, as well as the first Ork boy that I painted. Mind, he's not based yet, but other than that, please tell me what you guys think.

These photos haven't been sized because when I do they get out of proportion, I might change them to thumbnails if the mods don't like the size.

The first squad:

My paintscheme:

EDIT: 7 more boyz today.  :D

-Sweord
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 08:35:37 AM by Sweord »

Offline moc065

• Infinity Circuit / Necrontyr Lord / KoN Warlord
  • Ancient
  • King of the Preemptive Strike
    • klucas.piczo.com
Re: Sweord's WIP(s): Orks
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 10:53:36 AM »
Awesome... you well on your way to getting them done... keep us apprised of their progress and feel free to go mad from time to time, as thats what the orks are all about....

FUN, mad FUN.

Cheers
Join POC: Saim-Hann
or Read the Guide to Eldar
or read the Guide to Necrons

And Click here if you like Magic The Gathering

Offline mr_mich

• I make it rain
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 05:56:20 PM »
They're looking good!  I remember my first painted model was a blob SM with tons of paint :)

You've definitely nailed the rust effect, those weapons look quite Orky.  What's more impressive is that the red looks quite even, not at all splotchy or streaky.  My only suggestion would be to do a bit of highlighting on the muscles, perhaps with a slight drybrush of snot green or goblin green.  Something to make them pop a bit more.

Also, don't forget to clean mould lines off of them!  (see the back of the individual boy to see what I mean)

Offline Sweord

« Reply #3 on: February 5, 2010, 02:02:39 PM »
Managed to give the other eleven boyz their green basecoat last night, so I think I can churn out the rest of them today, so I think there will be a new set of photos tonight, or early tomorrow.  :D

Moc: I'm hoping to do some really fun stuff to my Warboss, some nice, but simple conversions, most likely to his power klaw, and maybe some extra armour, to signify his leadership.

Mr_Mich: Thanks, I'm glad you like my beginner painting.  :) I did find that their skin was a little too dark, thanks for the advice; as to the mould lines, the whole squad has them.  :-\ Can't do much now, but the next squad will look better, and I will give them some extra attention.

-Sweord

Offline mr_mich

• I make it rain
« Reply #4 on: February 5, 2010, 08:31:53 PM »
Mould lines are one of those things that I consider personal preference.  My IG all have a varying amount of them, because I get really zealous about them at first, but I get so damn tired of it by the end that some models have bad ones.  I guess a bit of patience is required for everything in the hobby, but mould lines are the devil... >:(

If I were you I'd make sure to model a few boys with scorch marks...you know, since they're gonna be burned when they meet up against my guardsmen ;)

Offline Artcore

• "It's such a fine line between stupid and clever"
    • My jazz combo: Starlight Jazz Trio
  • Armies: Ultra Marines
« Reply #5 on: February 6, 2010, 03:08:33 PM »
Those Orkz look good & dirty, nice job! 100 more to go for your 500 points army? :) just kidding...

Keep painting & posting!

Offline Sweord

« Reply #6 on: February 7, 2010, 07:27:59 PM »
Oh hardy-har-haarr *wheeze*. Besides, it's only 41 Orks for a 435 point army.  :-\ :(  :'(

I got the rest of the boyz painted! Finally, just need to take pics and post them, you guys will get them soon.  :)

Here you go, guys.

The whole lot. If you pay attention, the guys in the front are a darker green, I made the oopsie of using Goblin green instead of Snot green, so I need to ask you guys, which color do you prefer, for next time?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 02:59:34 PM by Sweord »

Offline mr_mich

• I make it rain
« Reply #7 on: February 7, 2010, 09:26:41 PM »
I definitely like the lighter ones (in the back) better.

It's looking good!  I'm impressed that you've kept your patience after this many Orks....41?  When they meet my guard, there will surely be heavy casualties on both sides.

Offline Sweord

« Reply #8 on: February 7, 2010, 09:28:20 PM »
No, it's 41 total, meaning 22 left for 435 points.  :o

Offline Rakuall

• Never bet against the house
  • Hombrew (Chapter/Legion/Swarm/Warband/etc.) FTW
« Reply #9 on: February 7, 2010, 10:07:21 PM »
I also say stick to the lighter ones, they look better.
The dark ones look a little blue-ish to me, and I'd be allocating wounds to them first.
"I don't believe in no win scenarios." -Captain James T. Kirk, USS Enterprise - NCC 1701
"Why do you always bother me when I'm drinking?" -Max Milini
"That's a relatively open weave and I can still see your nipular area." -Chandler Bing

My brother, now deceased:
http://keegancrack.deviantart.com/

Offline moc065

• Ancient
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #10 on: February 8, 2010, 09:46:55 AM »
19 down, 22 to go for 435pts... and I too prefer the lighter green... I might suggest that the Dark green be kept for Knobs or something... but don't bother to repaint those few front guys, as they still look pretty good.

Cheers

Offline Sweord

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2010, 01:40:45 PM »
Thanks for all of the replies! I do prefer the lighter ones better, as well, and the funny thing is is that the darker guys in the front were painted with a lighter basecoat, I think it was snot green. I want to get started on my Warboss, but it's too cold to prime him.   I might give him the black basecoat by had so I can get him painted, we'll see how the weather looks. I also need to make the nob for this squad, that'll be loads of fun. 

Edit: I need to ask you guys a question, about files. I let my little brother (about to turn 13) use my GW files on his 25 (I think, may have been 20) Lizardmen Saurus Warriors, and now two of them, the flat one and the triangular one, are really full of dust, and don't work as well as they used to. How should I clean them? I don't think that washing them with water is a good idea, because I don't want to ruin them. What should I do?

PS: I finally managed to come up with a name for my Warboss: Grimzag, bacause my Waaagh! is loosely based on the Speed Freaks. I have yet to name my warband.

Here's a minor update.

I'm working on the base for a deffcopta I primed a while ago, because being stuck in the house without any figures to paint is terrible. When I get done with the copta I'm going to try to prime my warboss, he looks like such a fun model to paint!

I hope I can post a couple of pictures later, I still need to try and find a paint scheme for the copta, it looks so complicated, but I'm sure that once I slap some paint onto it it'll be much simpler than it looks.

-Sweord

Also, any help with the question in my previous post would be nice.

Edit... I know that you know how to modify your post.. so don't double post anymore, OK...
moc065
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 02:11:46 PM by moc065 »

Offline Mr Pink

• Style before purpose
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2010, 04:26:38 PM »
For the file, just put some adhesive tape on it. When you remove the tape, the dust should stick to it, and not to the file anymore.

Offline moc065

• Ancient
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2010, 09:44:51 PM »
Easy way to clean a file... Use a file card.. or if you don't have one, scrubb the teeth (in line) with an old toothbrush... they clean right up. Tapping the file on your pant leg also works for the basic loose stuff like plastic dust.

Cheers

Offline Farseer Arendil

• Ork Boy
  • For the Craftworld
  • Armies: Alaitoc Eldar, Orks
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2010, 10:04:27 PM »
Awesome Orks Sweord, you have inspired me to do my best when I get my greenskins.  I will so be rockin' some Death Skullz when I get them.
Besides, the FW DCCW is too damn awesome not to put it on a ven dread... Holy Moly! You know something? that's not even a proper DA ven dread; its a generic ven dread with a RW icon plastered on one side after half the icon's wing has been cut away, pathetic! :P

Offline Sweord

« Reply #15 on: March 3, 2010, 03:34:56 PM »
Sorry for taking so long to make a new post, everyone! I managed to finally get my Warboss nearly done, just some minor details and touch-ups.

Here is day one:

And the nearly finished results:

This is where I need to do the most of the work to finish him.

Face:

Head also needs touching up.

I took a more advanced style of painting for him, and I think the result is good, but I don't know about the color; do you guys think I should wash the skin to make it fit in with the army?

-Sweord

Offline Artcore

• "It's such a fine line between stupid and clever"
    • My jazz combo: Starlight Jazz Trio
  • Armies: Ultra Marines
« Reply #16 on: March 3, 2010, 03:49:08 PM »
The warboss looks good! You used the washes to some good results. His trouser could use some shading/highlight though. And yes, his skin is much lighter than the rest of your Orkz...

Offline Farseer Arendil

• Ork Boy
  • For the Craftworld
  • Armies: Alaitoc Eldar, Orks
« Reply #17 on: March 4, 2010, 05:34:49 PM »
Looks great, other than some minor green washing on the skin.  I think maybe some blood splatter effects on the power klaw would look good too, but that's just me.  Glad to see your back at it man
Besides, the FW DCCW is too damn awesome not to put it on a ven dread... Holy Moly! You know something? that's not even a proper DA ven dread; its a generic ven dread with a RW icon plastered on one side after half the icon's wing has been cut away, pathetic! :P

Offline Sweord

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2010, 06:13:33 PM »
Thanks guys.  :)

Artcore: Thanks for pointing that out, I need to fix that now, along with starting to paint the rest of my boyz.

VK: Thanks man, I think I'm going to paint them all that way now, meaning that I need to repaint the other boyz.  :o

Speaking of boyz, here's the nob for the first squad, he's a little more dynamic compared to his squad, because he's the only one I could pose like that.

That's the coolest angle he has.  ;D

-Sweord

Offline bluey

• break, cut, resize, glue, prime, paint: tadaaah
    • Display Case
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2010, 05:31:18 AM »
first off: great painting, that's some inspiration for any newcomer to the hobby

but I think you should consider using both shades of green and maybe even creating a 3rd, 4th, 5th shades for the skin, the lighter shade looks good, but the darker shade looks good also,and if you mix them in the squad, as opposed to dark skin in front and light skin in the back, it should add a nice variety to your orks.

Basic thing is that being skin it's something naturally created and that means it can, and normally it will, have lots of variety (albino orks maybe? :P)
6th edition performance:
W/L/D
Tau - 2/1/1

Lookit: my War40K blog: My Display Case | Just a boy with his toy soldiers