News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Craftworlds Traits and How to Tell Who is Who?  (Read 2376 times)

Offline papagumdrop

• Even in Death we Fight
  • Armies: Eldar, Tyranids
Craftworlds Traits and How to Tell Who is Who?
« on: November 6, 2017, 07:41:43 AM »
So while I do like the flavor the Craftworld Traits add, the ways to properly inform my opponent as to what trait each detachment has is a small issue. I have played with quite a few people that don't clearly mark things or explain them and its always a pain in the ass when I attack something not knowing its a clear counter to my unit and a waste of time. I don't have time to read and memorize everyone's codex so I like to give my opponents a crash course on my army. I hate to be that guy who tries to get an advantage from my opponents lack of knowledge on the army, its not real war right?

Anyways what seems to be the most accepted method in everyone's experience both tournament  (local store or regional) and casual level play. I would prefer to paint my entire collection as Iyanden as it is my favorite craftworld and would look much more cohesive on my shelf or other display. On the other hand I would hate to give up some valuable traits and handicap myself. Here are the most common ones I have read or seen, which do you think will be most acceptable?

1. Suck it up and paint them by craftworld so there is no confusion?
2. Colored base rims denoting detachment?
3. Give the opponent a clear army sheet with reference photos and let them ask if they have questions?

Thanks in advance.

Offline SeekingOne

• Exarch
  • May Hoeth guide our ways...
  • Armies: Eldar (Saim-Hann), Space Wolves
Re: Craftworlds Traits and How to Tell Who is Who?
« Reply #1 on: November 6, 2017, 07:56:09 AM »
In the context of the Eldar army, colour schemes provide no good answer to that.

Thing is, unlike Space Marines, which usually have all units in a chapter wearing uniform colours, Eldar have Aspect Warriors that often have colour schemes independent of their Craftworld. Unless you're prepared to paint your Aspects in Craftworld colours (which I for instance would never do - too boring), colour schemes wouldn't help.

Different base rim colours are also highly detrimental to the overall cohesiveness of the army's look. For an Eldar force, which may have units wearing multiple different colour schemes, having all bases modelled and painted in the same style is particularly important.

A printed list with reference photos is a nice idea actually :) Putting myself in my opponent's shoes, I don't see it being really helpful though. Personally, I'm prepared to remind my opponent of what my units are capable of as many times during the game as he needs it, and CW attributes are not too different from all other rules here (which are numerous and cannot all be remembered by a non-CWE player anyway).

I fight against Chaos and for Order, because it means fighting for Life against Death. There is no other battle truly worth fighting.

"If it's not for a tournament then play whatever it is that you like. Without the pressure of having to utterly destroy your opponent it opens up alot more opportunity to have fun." - Lazarus

Offline Fenris

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Eldar, Aeldari
« Reply #2 on: November 6, 2017, 08:27:12 AM »
Couldn't you use runes from each craftworld that could be attached to one model in each unit, preferably with magnets?
Ego in propria persona, non compos mentis.

Offline The Mattler

• Armies: Eldar
« Reply #3 on: November 6, 2017, 08:44:53 AM »
Couldn't you use runes from each craftworld that could be attached to one model in each unit, preferably with magnets?
It would be easier to just paint some bases with the craftworld colours and rune, then place them beside the appropriate units.  I like the idea of the magnetic attribute customization, but it might be tricky to implement on small models.  The higher the visibity, the lower the chances of negative play experiences.
Shuriken weaponry is the pinnacle of antiSpocklizardry in 40k.

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #4 on: November 6, 2017, 09:46:28 AM »
No universal answer for everyone, beyond painting the rims of the bases different but that could look hideous. You could also have a little banner on a base (like the DE Raider or Venom banners) with the appropriate Craftworld symbol (and color) and just place it next to each unit so your opponent can see which unit belongs to witch detachment.

But in my honest opinion the only way to really do it justice is to have two different forces, painted in different paint schemes. I sort of lucked into it, because its something I've been working on since the beginning of 7th edition. I would really care if those two different forces are used as different armies every time you play.

My brother who hardly even plays just up and bought a huge mess of Catachan stuff to seperate the look of his two different detachments.

I know right off the hop, I'm gonna get frustrated playing against opponents where everything is painted uniform and I gotta ask every time I target a unit "Which detachment/regiment etc. Does this belong to?"

I would just accept it as a hobby challenge and go for it. I think its something that would be a pain in the short term, but really rewarding in the long term. Embrace the hobby challenge!  ;D
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline faitherun (Fay-ith-er-run)

• Armies: Pointy Ears and bugs
« Reply #5 on: November 6, 2017, 10:10:12 AM »
I am planning on having different colored soul stones, and trying to use that to denote. Still more a conceptual idea I came up with yesterday
« Last Edit: November 7, 2017, 12:41:03 AM by faitherun (Fay-ith-er-run) »
So, what your saying is it's not your fault you look stupid by using words you don't get?
Flawless logic.

Offline Tweedz

• Death is only the beginning.
« Reply #6 on: November 6, 2017, 10:19:47 AM »
I am planning on having different colored soup stones, and trying to use that to denote. Still more a conceptual idea I came up with yesterday

I think that is a fantastic idea! I personally have a ton of colored mancala stones that could serve the purpose. They would certainly fit on the bases of larger models or beside the units for smaller models.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #7 on: November 6, 2017, 03:06:06 PM »
If you are taking multiple craftworlds, then just pop a marker/token next to the smaller craftworld units to denote they are different.

If you want to be fluffy, then one guy in each squad can be a flag bearer, and just pop the craftworld flag on its base with a magnet. Just use a nail (cut the tip off) for the pole and you could print out the flag.

Offline Blazinghand

• Warlock | Master of the Ravenwing
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Die for the Emperor or die trying!
  • Armies: Eldar, Orks
« Reply #8 on: November 6, 2017, 05:04:04 PM »
Easily the most important thing, imo, is that it should be noticeable at a glance which units are part of which craftworld. If your opponent is trying to plan out his moving and shooting, he shouldn't need to consult with you every time he look at a unit to figure out whether it's Ulthwé or Saim-Hann. It should be obvious from a casual view of the board. This is the friendly thing to do to make it fun for everyone. This is easy for vehicles, guardians etc. For aspect warriors it is trickier, but whatever you use, whether it's flags, different colored bases, or some other solution, the most important thing is that it is simple and easy for the other player.
Quote from: Howard Zinn
There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.

Offline SeekingOne

• Exarch
  • May Hoeth guide our ways...
  • Armies: Eldar (Saim-Hann), Space Wolves
« Reply #9 on: November 7, 2017, 02:27:03 AM »

It would be easier to just paint some bases with the craftworld colours and rune, then place them beside the appropriate units. 
This is actually a great idea, very practical and fairly easy to implement. Never thought of this myself, thanks for sharing!

Post Merge: November  7, 2017, 02:36:01 AM
In the future, please use the modify button. Double posting is against the forum rules, and for that reason, the system merged your posts.

If you want to be fluffy, then one guy in each squad can be a flag bearer, and just pop the craftworld flag on its base with a magnet. Just use a nail (cut the tip off) for the pole and you could print out the flag.

This is a brilliant idea too - photo-printers can produce great banners. In the case of certain units, like Dire Avengers, you can even implement magnetised interchangeable back banners on an Exarch model.
« Last Edit: November 7, 2017, 02:36:01 AM by SeekingOne »
I fight against Chaos and for Order, because it means fighting for Life against Death. There is no other battle truly worth fighting.

"If it's not for a tournament then play whatever it is that you like. Without the pressure of having to utterly destroy your opponent it opens up alot more opportunity to have fun." - Lazarus

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #10 on: November 7, 2017, 06:54:58 AM »
Also note that using banners on Eldar units is neither new nor unusual.  Every member of an Aspect Warrior squad used to have the banner of their Aspect (Shrine) attached to them during the Rogue Trader era, as 'Eavy Metal articles in White Dwarf and old army pictures from that time show.  I think that it would be a very effective way of solving the current dilemma for anyone who encounters this problem.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline papagumdrop

• Even in Death we Fight
  • Armies: Eldar, Tyranids
« Reply #11 on: November 7, 2017, 08:31:09 AM »
Thanks for all the ideas everyone. I think I like the craftworld rune counters or the flags the best. I think they would be the most obvious. More obvious than say a properly painted force of alaitoc and iyanden, both blue and yellow, so not the easiest to someone who doesn't play Eldar.