News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Flyers of the 41st Millenium  (Read 1901 times)

Offline starstrider

• Ork Boy
  • Armies: Sisters of Battle, Order of the Sacred Rose
Flyers of the 41st Millenium
« on: November 24, 2012, 05:39:31 PM »
I'm not sure if this is the best board for this thread, but it certainly doesn't seem like a bad one for it at least (imo).

Basically, here's the deal. I've been away from 40k for a long time (other than a brief affair I had with orks in 5th edition, in which I only got off two or three actual games). More or less, readily accessible flyers never existed while I was playing outside of the fluff. Armorcast or something made resin models and rules for somethings back in 2nd I believe, but that was never acknowledged as "legit" the way the IA books have made their units presently, at least amongst the people I gamed with. Besides, even outside of Forgeworld and Imperial Armor GW has codexes containing flyers and plastic models for them these days, along with rules in the BRB. Coming back to the game and having them be a very integral part of things is a bit overwhelming. I have no clue exactly what flyer does what. This problem is compounded since many of them have rules from IA stuff and other secondary but now largely accepted books, rather than simply the standard codexes I'm more familiar with. I was wondering if we could get a thread that lists the flyer's for each army, along with a brief description of what they ideally try to do in an effort to help people "know their enemy".

I certainly don't want stats or anything given out that would break forum rules. Rather, think along the lines of "Imperial Guard - Vendetta: Fairly cheap transport with strong anti-armor capabilities." I'm not sure if that's an accurate description of it, but that's the sort of description I'm looking for. Nothing too specific.  I can list all the armies in this first thread, and then copy people's replies into it so that, over time, a comprehensive list gets formed. I don't know how many people would find this helpful, but I think I'd find it helpful. Hopefully someone else will too! And, if nothing else, it gives you all a chance to showcase your knowledge. If this thread gets more attention than I anticipate, maybe I can even get information about dealing with flyers and such later, and try to turn it into a tactica of sorts. Some of these armies may not even have flyers, so let me know and I'll keep this edited as neccesary.

Without further delay though, and with your help...

Flyers of the 41st Millenium
The Eldar
Vampire Hunter: Apocalypse only. ....
Vampire Raider: Apocalypse only. ...
Phoenix Bomber: ...
Nightwing Interceptor: A pretty decent anti-air dogfighter, though it is heavily reliant on jink saves, so watch (or use) things that ignore cover.3

The Dark Eldar
Razorwing Jetfighter: A fighterjet with good anti-tank capacities, also good at removing.1

Chaos Marines
Heldrake: A pretty tough daemonic engine made to clear the skies of other flyers, in some ways it is similar to a monstrous flying creature but cannot be grounded. It can also be equipped with a weapon superb for Marine toasting.1

Chaos Daemons
Lord of Change: Expensive but with loads of shooting attacks and quite strong vector strike.1
Bloodthirster: Hardest vector striker in the game, also quite expensive and lacking any serious shooting attack.1
Daemon Prince with wings: Loads of options but generally not as shooty or tough as a Lord of Change and not as hard-hitting as a Bloodthirster.1

Imperial Guard
Valkyrie: Great anti-infantry capacities and a good transport with capacity to drop troops in mid-flight.1
Vendetta: Pretty much the same as the Valkyrie but with awesome anti-tank and flyer capacity instead of anti-infantry.1

Space Marines
Storm Raven (Blood Angels only): Tough transport who also have the capacity to drop troops mid-flight, it can even carry a dreadnought! Very good weapon options that means it can take on multiple flyers during a single turn and can load up for any number of specific threats, it also has a bundle of one-shot missiles that should help clear out the first armoured target. Think of it as a flying Land Raider and you aren't far off.1

Storm Talon (Codex Chapters only): Small and flexible, the Storm Talon is a good way to fit in some anti-air defences in a normal Space Marine list, it is also very good at attacking ground targets once the skies are clear.1

Gray Knights
Storm Raven: Same as for Blood Angels but the one-shot missiles are aimed at psykers instead. Psybolts can be pretty good if you load up for anti-personal use, but the increased strength can also mean that other flyers, which usually have weaker armour, is easily swatted out of the sky.1

Sisters of Battle
No available flyers.

Necrons
Night Scythe: The only dedicated transport flyer so far, really good at destroying other flyers and light vehicles, in general a pretty solid transport but the unit it carries ends up in reserves should it crash.1
Doom Scythe: Can take care of the same targets as the Night Scythe but should anything end up close it has its death ray that can really deal a lot of damage to any target that isn't a horde of some sort.1

Orks
Dakkajet: Lots of mid strength shots, and I mean lots.2
Burna Bomma: very good anti infantry bombs.2
Blitza Bomma: Mostly anti tank, very random, usually considered the least attractive option.2

Tau
Barracuda: Relatively cheap points-wise, and it contains a decent amount of anti-infantry and anti-transport fire. Passable AA option, but fragile armor and no access to Tau vehicle wargear.4
Remora: A free cover save helps this flyer take evasive action, becoming very hard to shoot down.  It also makes good use of a marker light as a force multiplyer, but has limited offensive capabilities otherwise and - compared to other flyers - is very highly priced for the punch.4

Tyranids
Harpy: ...

1) Contributed by Benis.
2) Contributed by Ginger farseer.
3) Contributed by Dev Null.
4) Contributed by Wyddr.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 12:33:12 PM by starstrider »

Offline Benis

• 77 Shades Of Decay | Lazerous Penguin | Death to the Emperor with a Pulse!
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Getkilling
Re: Flyers of the 41st Millenium
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 09:29:41 PM »
Okay, I add some general notes of what I know of the flyers and what they do:

The Eldar
None outside of Imperial Armour

The Dark Eldar
Razorwing Jetfighter: A fighterjet with good anti-tank capacities, also good at removing.
Dark Eldar has a bomber as well but that one lacks a model and I have never faced it so I leave it at that.

Chaos Marines
Heldrake: A pretty tough daemonic engine made to clear the skies of other flyers, in some ways it is similar to a monstrous flying creature but cannot be grounded. It can also be equipped with a weapon superb for Marine toasting.

Chaos Daemons
All Chaos Daemons flyers are flying monstrous creatures
Lord of Change: Expensive but with loads of shooting attacks and quite strong vector strike.
Bloodthirster: Hardest vector striker in the game, also quite expensive and lacking any serious shooting attack.
Daemon Prince with wings: Loads of options but generally not as shooty or tough as a Lord of Change and not as hard-hitting as a Bloodthirster.

Imperial Guard
Valkyrie: Great anti-infantry capacities and a good transport with capacity to drop troops in mid-flight.
Vendetta: Pretty much the same as the Valkyrie but with awesome anti-tank and flyer capacity instead of anti-infantry.

Space Marines
Storm Raven (Blood Angels only): Tough transport who also have the capacity to drop troops mid-flight, it can even carry a dreadnought! Very good weapon options that means it can take on multiple flyers during a single turn and can load up for any number of specific threats, it also has a bundle of one-shot missiles that should help clear out the first armoured target. Think of it as a flying Land Raider and you aren't far off.

Storm Talon (Codex Chapters only): Small and flexible, the Storm Talon is a good way to fit in some anti-air defences in a normal Space Marine list, it is also very good at attacking ground targets once the skies are clear.

Gray Knights
Storm Raven: Same as for Blood Angels but the one-shot missiles are aimed at psykers instead. Psybolts can be pretty good if you load up for anti-personal use, but the increased strength can also mean that other flyers, which usually have weaker armour, is easily swatted out of the sky.

Sisters of Battle
None, not even in Imperial Armour.

Necrons
Night Scythe: The only dedicated transport flyer so far, really good at destroying other flyers and light vehicles, in general a pretty solid transport but the unit it carries ends up in reserves should it crash.
Doom Scythe: Can take care of the same targets as the Night Scythe but should anything end up close it has its death ray that can really deal a lot of damage to any target that isn't a horde of some sort.

Orks
Haven't faced any of the Orks' fighta-bommas so I leave that to a more experienced player.

Tau
None outside of Imperial Armour

Tyranids
I haven't faced a Harpy so I leave that one too for someone with more experience.

Offline Ginger farseer

• Ork Yoof
  • Armies: Space wolves, Eldar, Orks
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 05:52:16 AM »
Orks

Have three Bommas, the dakkajet, the burna Bomma and the Blitza Bomma.

Dakkajet: Lots of mid strength shots, and I mean lots.

Burna Bomma: very good anti infantry bombs.

Blitza Bomma: Mostly anti tank, very random, usually considered the least attractive option.
Be nice to nerds, you'll probably be working for them.

What if by 'fly you fools'  Gandalf was actually telling the fellowship to call the eagles and fly to Mordor?

"Thunder rolled... It rolled a six"

+++Melon melon melon+++
+++out of cheese error redo from start+++
+++Divide by cucumber error. Please reinstall universe and reboot+++

Offline Dev Null

• GW has copyrighted my ability to be wrong.
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 12:57:24 AM »
You know what would be really sweet?  Listing the source for the latest rules for the flyer at the same time.  I don't know about you guys, but I can never remember whether IA## supercedes Apocolypse or the other way round.  And they tend to not bother with publication dates in a lot of the books, so it can be hard to work out.

Case in point: Eldar get a couple of Apocalypse-only super-heavy flyers in Imperial Armour Apocalypse Second Edition: the Vampire Hunter and the Vampire Raider.  We also get a non-Apoc Phoenix Bomber and Nightwing Interceptor from Imperial Armour Aeronautica... but the Nightwing at least is also in IA11 - no idea which set of rules take precedence, or even if they're different.

The Nightwing is a pretty decent anti-air dogfighter, though heavily reliant on jink saves, so watch (or use) things that ignore cover.  The others I can't speak for.

Offline starstrider

• Ork Boy
  • Armies: Sisters of Battle, Order of the Sacred Rose
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 02:04:22 AM »
That is a good idea. All of the various rules and iterations of the rules make for a lot of confusion, and I think a listing of the most recent set would be helpful for people too. I'll see if I can delve into this a bit once I finish getting this basic list together. It looks like the basic list is almost done thanks to you guys, I appreciate the help a lot. I'll give it another day or two and then maybe poke my head into the Tau forum and such to see if anyone in those forums wants to volunteer info on their presently unidentified flyers.

Thanks for the help guys. Even just this makes me feel a lot less mystified by what's out there. It helps to be able to put a name to stuff.

Offline Trickstick

• The Last Airship Pirate
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 08:09:23 PM »
I can do a few of the IG fliers from FW. I think that they are in IA:Aeronautica, although have them in IA1:2nd ed. I think that the stats are the same though.

Vulture - Similar to the valkyrie/vendetta, but without a transport capacity. Better as an anti infantry flier, and can turn better than the others.

Lightning - A small fighter aircraft, agile and good AA abilities.
Thunderbolt - A heavy fighter, higher armour and armament than the lightning but more expensive.
Avenger - Ground attack aircraft, can kill infantry and light vehicles quite well.
The Tvashtan 422nd "Fire Leopards"
- Updated 19/03/11

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor