News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 500pts Genestealer Cult  (Read 4980 times)

Offline Stitch

• The Angel's Talon
500pts Genestealer Cult
« on: January 25, 2014, 06:48:09 PM »
A note on the first part of this post: Please note that it was written before I had decided on an actual army list for the force. I just didn't want to post it until I had something to show, and so far it represents my thoughts fairly accurately. Everything is subject to change without prior notice, though. :)

Forewarned is four-armed

I haven't properly played 40k since the 4th edition and can't even remember when I painted my last Dark Angel. But with a weekly 500 point 40k league just starting in the store, I couldn't resist starting a new project. Which is really amazingly stupid, since I'm an expert in starting projects and not finishing them... But as I said, I couldn't resist. And it's something I have been thinking about doing for over 15 years. I'm not kidding. I saw the picture of Adrian Wood's Genestealer Cult Chimera in the 1997 February (#206) issue of White Dwarf and I thought it was the coolest thing I had ever seen. I knew I would have to build a Cult force at some point in time. I didn't think it would take me this long to actually get to it, though...

So, here's my take on the Genestealer Cult force. It has already gone through several revisions in my head, and it will probably change a lot more before it's finished. (If I ever get it finished...) If you don't agree with something, I am always open to comments and suggestions. I know a lot of these ideas are not original. I was certainly not the only person to think "OMG, HYBRIDS!" when the Vampire Counts Crypt Ghouls were released. I have also looked closely at both Tim Huckleberry's Codex: Genestealer Cults from Citadel Journal #40 and the Fly Lords of Terra's Cult Codex, as well as the work of Ambiance 327 on the 40kOnline forums.

I will be using Codex: Imperial Guard until something better comes along. I would say it's entirely possible that a digital Codex: Genestealer Cults will be released this year or next, especially in the wake of the new Tyranid release. But for now, IG it is. I should also mention that my plan is to only use models currently available, so no vintage minis.

Magus
This I think will easily be represented by a Primaris Psyker, if I choose to include one. My gut feeling says the Magus would not get directly involved in smaller battles. But if I build one (and I really want to), it will most likely be based on the Empire Battle Wizards kit, although the Astropath from the Imperial Guard Regimental Advisors set looks good.

Patriarch
This guy needs to stay home. Period. I don't think he would make a personal appearance on the battlefield until the Final Days, when the Mother Hive is close to descend on the world in full force.

Hierarch
This is the HQ of choice for me on this project. I envision the Hierarch as a 4th generation Hybrid. He looks human and can easily pass as such unless closely scrutinised. I'm thinking he should be masked, though, together with most of the other 3rd and 4th generation Hybrids. They have roles to play in society and must protect their identities as best they can. In Codex: IG, this will be an Infantry Platoon Commander. For a model, I'm thinking about the axe-wielding cultist leader from the Dark Vengeance box. It's possible the Empire Wizards kit will help me here, too.

Hybrids
I see these as a mix of 3rd and 4th generation Hybrids, with the occasional 1st and 2nd generation Hybrid thrown in. Ruleswise, I'm thinking Penal Legion. Some of these models will have a third arm with a Genestealer claw, and I think the Desperadoes special rule (with a chance of them getting Rending attacks in close combat) will work nicely for them. For models, I'm going to use the Chaos Cultist models. Most of them are masked, which is what I want, and I can easily add a few extra arms to make the 3rd generation Hybrids stand out a bit.

Brood Brothers
These are basic cultists. 4th generation Hybrids as well as newer Cult members who have been implanted with Genestealer genetic material and become privy to some of the secrets of the Cult. More Chaos Cultist models, but with some heavy weapons. Ruleswise these will be standard IG Infantry Squads.

Brood Brother Comrades
Basically, these are corrupted Imperial Guard and Planetary Defence Forces. I think of these as joining the battle on special occations only. They will most likely be outnumbered by loyalists in their own ranks and will not risk exposing themselves unless absolutely necessary. If I include any, they will look like ordinary IG troopers, with perhaps only subtle hints that would suggest they are corrupted. Slightly purple skintones, perhaps. And blacked out unit markings to make identification harder.

Cultists
This is the rabble. The poor and the insane that flock around the Cult's masked leaders, looking for salvation. They know nothing about the true purpose of the Cult and they are expendable. During operations, they act as meat shields and diversions, happily throwing themselves in harm's way for the good of the Father. The obvious rules choice here is Conscripts. For models, I'm thinking Empire Flagellants mixed with more Chaos Cultists.

Hybrids and Purestrains
I can definitely see a few 1st and 2nd generation Hybrids, and even Purestrain Genestealers joining in. The Purestrains are easy enough. Basic Genestealer models and an allied unit from Codex: Tyranids. (Yes, in our league this will be allowed. I know, because I'm in charge. ;) ) For the more beastial Hybrids, I'm thinking minis based on Crypt Ghouls and used as Imperial Guard Veterans. I also think 2nd or 3rd generation Hybrids could be represented by Commissars in some IG squads.

Praise be to the Four-armed Emperor!

Hybrids!

I have decided on an army list! Two of my Troops choices will be broods of Hybrids, using the Penal Legion entry in Codex: Imperial Guard, so today I've been building Hybrids. I'm going for speed on this project, so no advanced conversions. I really want to actually finish this project... :)

Each of the Hybrid Broods will be lead by a 1st generation hybrid based on ordinary 'stealer models.

1st generation Hybrid #1, left:

1st generation Hybrid #2, right:

1st generation Hybrid #2, right:

The Crypt Ghouls turned out to be a lot smaller than I thought they would be. I expected them to be beefier. Nevertheless, the kit is a great source of extra arms! And I had to build at least one 2nd generation hybrid. Quite bestial still, but a lot more humanoid than the 1st gen. That huge 'stealer arm looks absolutely ridiculous, but I like him. :)

2nd generation Hybrid:

The bulk of these broods will be 3rd generation hybrids, though. They look mostly human, but often have a third arm that sometimes has a 'stealer claw. So here they are...

3rd generation Hybrid, nicknamed 'High Five':

More 3rd generation Hybrids:

Now, I wasn't planning on doing any head swaps, but I couldn't resist this one, as an homage to The Great Cthulhu. Tentacles FTW!!! :)

3rd generation Hybrid, Cthulhu-style:

I also built five Purestrain Genestealers when I realised I better build them early or I would run out of arms for them. :) No pictures of these though, as they're just normal 'stealers...

That's all for today. Thanks for reading!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 07:39:22 PM by Stitch »

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
  • Lost Roads are now found!
    • 40kOnline
  • Armies: Squats
Re: 500pts Genestealer Cult
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 04:22:07 AM »
This looks really really cool! I really look forward to seeing more of this stuff! Well done!

Lost Roads - finally released!

YouTube-clip of my Squat army.

Offline Faeluchu

• Let the sunshine in!
  • Armies: Yme-Loc Eldar
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 06:34:06 AM »
I spy with my little eye something beginning with "M"... mould lines. Make sure to get rid of those before you paint them (I'm halfway through filing all those little amphetamine parrots off two regiments of Plague Monks, so I know it's a pain in the ass, but it has to be done nevertheless.)

Apart from that they're looking great; what's the tentacled head of the Cthulhu guy?

Also, have you come up with a paint scheme yet? I foresee some potential difficulties with making your Purestrains, which are basically regular Genestealers, fit in with converted Cultists.

Keep up the good work!
"Tylko jeśli szybowałeś przez niebo na skrzydłach z ognia możesz zrozumieć Jastrzębia"

BYB is too close to BYOB (Bring Your Own Booze) which is how I started gaming anyways. The proper way.

Offline Stitch

• The Angel's Talon
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 06:17:36 PM »
This looks really really cool! I really look forward to seeing more of this stuff! Well done!

Thanks, Raz! I'm really enjoying this project so far. Hoping I can see it through! :)

I spy with my little eye something beginning with "M"... mould lines. Make sure to get rid of those before you paint them

Oh, I know... I wasn't going to bother with them, because this needs to be a quick build. I can't afford to spend a lot of time on each mini. But the mold lines are extreme on the 'stealer bits, so I think I will have to do some scraping after all. At least the most visible ones...

Apart from that they're looking great; what's the tentacled head of the Cthulhu guy?

It's a 'stealer head with feeder tendrils. You get two in each box of Genestealers.

Also, have you come up with a paint scheme yet? I foresee some potential difficulties with making your Purestrains, which are basically regular Genestealers, fit in with converted Cultists.

Part of me wants to do the classic purple & blue from back in the days, but I'm trying to wrestle that part of me to the floor and cuff it to the radiator... :)

I haven't decided on the actual colors to use, yet, but I do have a plan of sorts. I'm thinking of coming up with a simple paint scheme for my own hive fleet. Basically two main colors and one or two for details. This will be the paint scheme for the Purestrains, straight up. The cultist's robes will then be painted to match. It will be a throwback to the old school cult, but with different colors. All the minis will be based the same (I'm thinking Agrellan Earth, with tufts of grass), and this will tie the minis together as well.

I've wanted to do a Tyranid army for years, as well, and if I ever get to it I'll use the same colors. I'm also feeling the urge to convert some buggies and stuff for the cult. One thing I have sworn, though, is that I will not even start thinking about adding more models until this project is done. This force stays at 500pts until it's painted! :)

Keep up the good work!

Thanks! I'll try! :)

I finished building the two units of Hybrids this evening. (No pictures, though, as my phone was running out of juice and I couldn't use the flash.) So, that's 25 minis out of 70... Next up is a unit of 20 Cultists. I'm trading for some lasguns to arm the Empire Flagellants with.

Offline Stitch

• The Angel's Talon
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 05:25:20 PM »
Holy crap! An update?!?

Yes, after months and months and months of absolute NOTHING, I've finally picked up this project again. So much for a "quick build," eh?

Because of the new Astra Militarum codex I will have to recalculate everything, of course, but for now I've decided to keep building according to the original list. I doubt anything will be wasted.

So, without further ado, here are some cultists!

This is the rabble. The poor and the insane that flock around the Cult's masked leaders, looking for salvation. They know nothing about the true purpose of the Cult and they are expendable. During operations, they act as meat shields and diversions, happily throwing themselves in harm's way for the good of the Father. They are armed with sticks, chains, stolen lasguns, and anything they can find.

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 07:15:37 PM »
Hell yeah! Love what you've got going here Sitch. Great modelling, super clean- looking forward to seeing some pain on these guys! Thanks for sharing I've been lonely in the project logs for quite awhile, looking forward to following this project.
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
  • Armies: Tyranids, Lamenters (BA), Eldar (Iyanden), 1k Sons
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2014, 07:09:10 AM »
first, let me point you to this thread. It's another genestealer cult on another forum, and while he uses the tyranid codex instead of the guard one (yes, really!) and does have quite a number of vintage models he uses, he also uses more conteporary models (such as actual cadians and catachans, and even fantasy empire wizards). there might be a bunch of inspiration you can get from there that might help you in your own conversion planning.

Speaking of which - your models do look great. I love the empire flaggelants with catachan parts, they look great as a rabble - especially with the non-standard pattern lasguns thrown into the mix.
I think the hybrids look fine too. I hope you'll keep updating because it's a promising project!
check out my Iyanden painting blog.

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2014, 07:17:13 AM »
Wow not sure how I have missed this post in the past but I'm glad I have found it now. Your models look brilliant. I've heard of Cults before but I'm not sure if I have ever seen one. Now that I have seen yours I can understand the concept a bit better. I particularly like the 2nd gen model with the big arm and the model with the feeder tendrils. Can't wait to see all of this painted. 
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline Stitch

• The Angel's Talon
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2014, 04:59:26 PM »
Thanks for the encouraging words, guys!!

@Cavalier
Super clean? Well, it's nice of you to say so, even if I don't agree. :) Your stuff, on the other hand, looks absolutely great! I'll be following your project log.

@vonny
Thanks for that link, it's definitely inspiring!

@Alienscar
Thanks! Yeah, I've always loved the Genestealer Cult concept. I really, really, really want to finish this project. I've always been a lot better at starting new projects than finishing them... :)

Thanks again, everyone, for the comments! You've certainly boosted my motivation!

Offline Ambience 327

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2014, 10:53:27 AM »
Looking really good thus far. The Father will be pleased.  ;D

Your rabble especially are shaping up to look fantastic. I really must get some of those Flagellant models at some point to add in to my Cult.

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
  • Lost Roads are now found!
    • 40kOnline
  • Armies: Squats
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2014, 06:38:06 AM »
These are so lovely! You have done a fantastic job in realizing your vision, which is more important than anything else in a creative hobby.

Lost Roads - finally released!

YouTube-clip of my Squat army.

Offline Stitch

• The Angel's Talon
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2014, 06:23:41 PM »
Thanks Ambience and Rasmus!

I managed to build another five cultists tonight. And here they are!

Progress is slow, but it's still progress. :)

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
  • Armies: Tyranids, Lamenters (BA), Eldar (Iyanden), 1k Sons
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2014, 07:14:06 PM »
What long-las? This be my fancy club!
check out my Iyanden painting blog.