News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Looshkin's Everything Thread - Shroud Runners and Autarch  (Read 70380 times)

Offline SeekingOne

• Exarch
  • May Hoeth guide our ways...
  • Armies: Eldar (Saim-Hann), Space Wolves
Re: Looshkin's Everything Thread - Knights and Titans and Death Guard, Oh my!
« Reply #400 on: September 13, 2018, 02:27:36 AM »
Nothing to criticise really  ;D Those knights are lovely! Colour scheme looks really good.
I fight against Chaos and for Order, because it means fighting for Life against Death. There is no other battle truly worth fighting.

"If it's not for a tournament then play whatever it is that you like. Without the pressure of having to utterly destroy your opponent it opens up alot more opportunity to have fun." - Lazarus

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
« Reply #401 on: September 15, 2018, 08:39:19 AM »
Absolutely amazing stuff Looshkin!  :)

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #402 on: September 17, 2018, 06:15:27 AM »
*Wounds self playing American Football so says he'll slow down painting

*Paints drop-dead gorgeous Nighthaunt, Plague Marines, full-size Knight, dinky little knights, and an awesome diorama

;)

Fantastic work dude :) I especially like the diorama. Very appropriately titled ;)
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #403 on: January 9, 2019, 08:24:50 AM »
Threadomancy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey guys. It's been a while. I have been dropping in and making a once in a blue moon comment, but I think I really burnt out a bit after last year's frantic Summer. Destiny 2 year 2 dropped, which occupied me for a month and then I got back into Magic: The Gathering (Why Loosh, don't you like money? No. I do not.) and then any time I picked up the brushes I just feeling it.

Well I'm back.

I had a look at what I achieved in 2018 and I'm fairly happy overall:

12 x Blood Bowl Humans
1 x Blood Bowl Ogre
10 x Skitarii Vanguard
10 x Skitarii Rangers
1 x Tech Priest Dominus
1 x Onager Dunecrawler
1 x Cybernetica Datasmith
2 x Kastelan Robots
5 x Sicariian Infiltraitors
2 x Knight Armigers
1 x Imperial Knight
5 x Shadowspire Skaven
2 x Shadowspire Skeletons
3 x Morrsarr Guard
1 x Akhelian King
33 x Nighthaunt
7 x Plague Marines
1 x Adeptus Titanicus Warlord Titan
3 x Adeptus Titanicus Knights

101 Models In total
91 Infantry Models of which quite a few were characters
10 'big' models...including some whoppers like the Knight

Looking back at that list, it's easy for me to see why I lost impetus. Especially when so much of the painting came in the middle of the year.

Well, over Christmas, I decided to make an effort to do 30 minutes to an hour each night; a feat that I managed to achieve. Nothing I had really grabbed my attention to paint, so I elected to try to finish several projects that I had started (plus 1 new one).

Pictures will come over the next couple of days, but I decided to carry on slowly building a Crimson Fists army, by building 5 new Intercessors (Just in time for the White Dwarf rules to drop). I also had Garrek's Reavers constructed, with a base coat and initial skin tone laid down, so I wanted to finish them. Finally, I had a Goblin Blood Bowl team in various states of painting. All base coated. Some with initial layers applied. A few with initial wash.

So that's where I am. I've finished Garrek's Reavers, while the Crimson Fists are 90% complete. Finally, I've managed real progress with the little guys, so hope to have them finished in the next week or so.

I hope everyone had a good Christmas and New Year; here's to a productive 2019!
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #404 on: January 9, 2019, 11:11:03 AM »
Welcome back, Loosh ;D! Your presence was missed! Also comparing your paint list to mine is like  :-[, haha. I've only painted a handful of models this year, but I'm seeking to invest more time into the hobby, now that I will have more time. Working a shift that goes late into the evening left me too tired to paint on the weekdays, and on the weekends I wanted to do some other stuff. Going back to normal hours, should help alleviate that problem!
JohnMaloneBooks website - Blog #3 - From Novella to Novel

- 5/5 Reader's Favorite Review!

A Sanctum of Swords: Embers Edition is coming soon w/ audiobook!

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
Re: Looshkin's Everything Thread - Garrek's Reavers/Crimson Fists/Goblins
« Reply #405 on: January 12, 2019, 09:58:38 AM »
Welcome back, Loosh ;D! Your presence was missed! Also comparing your paint list to mine is like  :-[, haha. I've only painted a handful of models this year, but I'm seeking to invest more time into the hobby, now that I will have more time. Working a shift that goes late into the evening left me too tired to paint on the weekdays, and on the weekends I wanted to do some other stuff. Going back to normal hours, should help alleviate that problem!

Haha! Cheers Myen'Tal. Stick with the painting. An hour each night (or heck, even 30 minutes) goes a hell of a long way. You'll be cranking it out in no time!

Update time. I managed to finish everything I was working on, which is great. I also have a new needle for my  airbrush turning up any day, so shouldn't see a drop off anytime soon.

First up, Garrek's Reavers.

I wanted these guys to have a warm tone overall, despite their light skin tones. Warm brass aplenty, ginger hair, the Toffee Apple Red armour plates, all hopefully offset against the light, cold skin and the steel colours. Oh...and then there's the blood!

Mr Garrek? We're ready for your close up.

GW did a great job with Blood for the Blood God. Love the wet look:

So that I wasn't going crazy painting flesh and blood and all that, I also painted some Crimson Fists, which are far darker in person, but what are you going to do?

I clearly still have transfers and battle damage to the torsos to complete, however, with no transfers, they'll do for now.

I was pretty pleased with the face on this guy. Especially as it was just Kislev Flesh with a Reikland Fleshshade wash. Pick out the eyes and teeth and then I was done. I do need to drill out the boaters though. Although I have no idea where my small drill bits have got to...

I wanted the helmet on his waist to have obvious damage, because why the hell would you take it off?

Finally, I've had an annoying Goblin Blood Bowl team that I just couldn't face painting. I was seriously underwhelmed by the thought of painting these guys...and then it just clicked and they became fairly easy. I'm really pleased with how they turned out.

I present The Pittsburg Steelers The Blurg Pit Stealers!

There's loads of character with these guys, and despite there only being about 5 poses, the number of head types meant that no 2 models are the same. Add in different colours on back and front plates, or shoulders, and it means that there is true diversity in the team, whilst retaining a universal feel.

So there you go! 2019 kicking off in fine style. Not even halfway through January and I'm cranking it. I think I just need to keep a varied painting diet and not churn out 33 dry brushed Nighthaunt and everything should be ok ;P

Thanks for stopping by, I look forward to your feedback.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 11:36:56 AM by Looshkin »

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #406 on: January 14, 2019, 07:53:52 AM »
Great stuff Loosh! You're a painting machine as always.

Just a few comments. I'm sure it's more to do with the photography than the actual paint jobs.

The reaver skin seems a little undefined, like it needs another wash to pull out those muscles. It's most likely just a result of a lighter skin tone not allowing the digital camera to pick up the colour variations. It's probably spot on in real life. Loving the blood for the blood god use. Certainly works well with these guys.

The power armour on the Crimson Fists is spot on. Can't wait to see them with full battle damage and transfers. They just need that little extra detail that all power armour does being monochromatic.

Gobbos are awesome too! Maybe a little rust effects on some of the armour plating, as I'm sure they don't take immaculate care of their uniforms as some of the oomies.

A solid start to 2019. Puts the rest of us to shame as always.  ;)

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #407 on: January 22, 2019, 05:28:10 PM »
Oooh, snazzy! ;D What you achieved with the skintones across the three groups of models has me envious ;). Really digging those crimson fists, crisp highlights on the armor and sharp pick outs of the detail. I personally would have chosen another color for the shoulder pads, but that's just my preference, since the actual color scheme for the CFs is how you've done them.

Gobbos look great! Never thought I'd see yellow, orange, and goblin green mixed into one scheme, but you've achieved great results. Just a reminder that one must be creative! ;D

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #408 on: January 22, 2019, 11:56:40 PM »
 8) Dude! Do you sleep? Ah eat? Go to the restroom? Haha! You helped get me back at it. I just got the loon boss and gobbapaluza and Zarbag's gits, now assembled. Anyhow, I DO like the colors on your Gobbos, good mix, compliments. The Marines look sharp bur I agree, battle damage will add the something something. I hope to see more soon.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
« Reply #409 on: January 31, 2019, 08:45:56 PM »
Loosh your stuff is amazing!  :o

Btw, Destiny 2 has started taking up my time again as well.  ;)

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #410 on: February 1, 2019, 12:22:08 PM »
Good to have you back dude :) you certainly haven't been idle!

It's all excellent as always, but I'm especially fond of the goblins (and guest troll). Haven't come across them before but they're delightful :)

I don't game as much as I used to (can't seem to find the time), but I do follow new releases from a worldbuilding perspective and Destiny sounds like the sort of world I could very easily get lost in for hours and hours ;)
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #411 on: April 6, 2019, 04:34:28 PM »
So, thank you to everyone that posted. It wasn't my intention to leave this thread for so long, but circumstances forced my hand.

So. Personal stuff first. I was away with work for a month and when I got back, Mrs Loosh had moved out with Loosh Junior. I'm not going to lie; I was crushed. I still am, but I'm coming to terms with things. Had to go to the doctors at work and have a good cry in front of them. Then the same with my boss. Then the same with the mental health practitioners at work. It was fairly brutal, but very necessary; my mind was taking me to very, very dark places and I wasn't sure where they would end up.

'Why the hell are you telling us this Loosh? I only came here for the painting and the eternal disappointment of not seeing you paint any Eldar on a predominantly Eldar forum.'

Well. It's important. It's also why it's here and not just on the Lazerous Penguins pages. Be open with things. Life gets rough. We all need support. Talk to people when it gets rough. Vent. Cry...just Feel; because if you don't speak to people and you don't show your emotions and you don't find the support you need, then you're alone. If you're alone, you are so much more likely to self harm. I always thought I was pretty robust, mentally...I'm in the military damn it and I play rough and tumble sports and work out and have facial hair sometimes and amphetamine parrot like that; but this year has seen me lose my Step Dad to cancer, put my Mum's Guide Dog down, get separated. It was all too much. Hell...I must have though up 100 ways to end everything on the first night alone...but I got the help I needed and hopefully, I'm in a good place now.

Hell...I've got a lot more time to do my hobbies now at least, so I must be winning at life [/endsarcasm]

Really though, I view this as an opportunity to work on myself. I've lost about 6kg (13lbs to you colonials) in the gym (not just stress, woo!). I'm eating better. I'm not getting so stressed at the moment. I'm not getting angry. Hopefully, that improved me will be enough for Mrs Loosh to want to move back in with me down the line, but if not, then I'll be a better version of me and more able to cope with whatever life throws at me.

So look after yourselves, is all I'm saying.

Right. Enough of that. You came here for painting, so Yhwh-condemned it, I'm going to give you painting.

When I was away with work, I managed to paint a few models in incredibly dark conditions. So dark that I couldn't really tell how well the paint work was coming together. Apart from a few faces and the odd detail, though, I'm pretty happy with things. I'll touch up faces and eyes at some stage over the next couple of weeks.

So, first up...another Blood Bowl offering. This time based on the Seattle Seahawks and their colour scheme from the 80's. I could never do their current colours...they are awful.

I bring you the Serra Tor Inner Sea Hawks

You know how Cavalier always paints everything Red. Everything. I just realised that I'm the black to his white, the Ying to his Yang. I paint everything blue pretty much. There's got to be a hell of a reason for me to dip into another colour as the primary. It's my safe space.

So. On the Blue theme...more Crimson Fists!

This guy isn't new, but he did get a tiny bit of weathering to make him fit with everyone else. Also, because weathering is cool.

Next up is the Primaris Captain is Gravis armour. I know his sword isn't painted. I'm waiting for inspiration on that. When I know what I'm doing with it, I'll make sure I update you. Sorry he's a bit dark:

Next up, the Ancient with Standard. Man I hated painting this banner. I did it all in grey/white and it just looked wrong. Now that the front is in blue, I feel it works a lot better. The banner really isn't easy to paint, but I think with the transfers and a bit of weathering to tie it all in, I'm really chuffed to bits with him now.

And I think that's enough for today. I have a load more photos to put on the site, but I'm quite burned out from all the typing and you know...emotions

Let me know what you think and above all, stay safe.

Offline Dread

• Warlock
« Reply #412 on: April 6, 2019, 05:32:40 PM »
Loosh, my friend, I am so sorry to here all that. Life can be a bit-cha sometimes. Wish no one had to go thru that. Stay strong. Venting to your friends is good so anytime anywhere, I'm here for you. Lots of good vibes your way. Be at peace and stay happy.

As for the team, Holy cow! In the dark, huh. Well it shows that you work well in any condition, major kudos.blue is a great color, no matter what. It's comfortable and using it on every army, well it's perfect. We all dance around what will look better for us, believe me my DE stayed plastic for a long time until I found the purple to green shimmer paint. I like the gritty look on them.

The banner, not much to say but you went the extra mile on it and it shows, great work to show off. Definitely worth the effort. The whether ing is just enough, bet the army has a grand presence on the table.

I'll keep checking in on ya.  8)
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #413 on: April 6, 2019, 07:28:03 PM »
First off, Loosh, I'm glad that you bounced back from such an ordeal and that you've found yourself a strategy moving forward. I'm also glad that you trust in us members on the forum here with such privileged information, and I'm honored by your trust. I cannot relate with the events you just faced, but I've found my own share of low-points in life. I think the way that we cope with these times is very similar :), though you're definitely more proactive about than I am! Just like Dread and I'm certain many others, we'll keep checking in on you and offering our support.

As for the painting, that High Elf Blood Bowl team is the definition of glory! Love the color scheme and how everything just comes together so well. Brilliant look for the High Elves to have, makes me think they hail from Lothern.

Those Primaris Captains look ace, as expected, and that banner is an incredible strawberry topping on that rich chocolate cake! May that Banner rally your Crimson Fists to many glorious victories!

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #414 on: April 6, 2019, 09:09:57 PM »
Sorry to hear life been kicking you around mate, but its good to see you've been able to find support and getting things back on track.

The red on the first too Primaris look different, the red on the first guy looks freaking amazing. IS it Mephiston red?

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #415 on: April 7, 2019, 04:11:02 PM »
Many a time I have said how I think your blog is one of the best on here because you include more than just hobby stuff. This time I am sorry that you have to include such sad news. I emphasise with your loss as something similar has happened to me in the past and I honestly admire your strength of character for sharing something so personal with us. I am glad to see your sense of humour is still intact.

I really like the Captain and the weathering that you have added to the inside of the cloak, but for some reason I find am mostly impressed by the red flowers.

The banner on the Ancient is just sublime and I am particularly impressed by the writing.
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #416 on: May 17, 2019, 08:08:24 AM »
Thank you all for your replies. Even though we're just interweb buddies, it's nice to know that there are people out there that don't want amphetamine parrot things to happen to you.

Life has been progressing. I haven't done as much hobby as I had intended, but I've been trying to piece together my life...so hopefully you'll give me a pass. Mrs Loosh and I are actually getting on really well. We're working on things and there is a desire on both sides to sort things out. It's not going to be quick or smooth, but it's a start and where there's a start there's hope. So for today, I'm a happy Loosh.

Hey Loosh, stop getting sidetracked. Last post you promised more Crimson Fists and then you poked off for more than a month. Where are those Fists??!!!'

Good question, glad you asked. These guys are all from January/February/March time with a bit of weathering when I got back in April. Swords to do and a few details to pick out, but I could throw them at a tabletop and not be displeased.*

So that's where we are. I now have something like 10 Intercessors, 10 Reivers, 5 Hellblasters, 1 Ancient, a couple of Captains and a handful of Lieutenants. It's not the biggest collection, but it would make for a fine allied force.

Since then, I've moved away from blue. I've been painting up the scenery that came with Shadow War Armaggeddon. Mostly done, but for rust effects on a couple of pieces. I'll post when complete. I've also started working on some House Escher for Necromunda. Those kits are stunning and I'm taking my time so that I do them justice.**

Thanks for dropping by. Hopefully I'll be a bit more active in the coming weeks and months.

*Don't be silly Loosh, you don't ever play. Drat. You got me...

**All lies. I've just been doing other stuff and the creative muse hasn't grabbed me by the the Udders of Thoth and twisted yet.

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #417 on: May 17, 2019, 10:32:23 AM »
Hi Loosh, I'm really happy that you and Mrs. Loosh are talking through it. Good fortune in your dialogues, man, hope they work out  :).

As for the minis, excellent job on those Crimson Fists. All of them look splendid! Really love the red glow on those Helblasters!

The lieutenants look superb!

Nothing much to add on that front ;D. Great work!

Offline Dread

• Warlock
« Reply #418 on: May 17, 2019, 06:39:07 PM »
I was just about to message you and see what's up. Open channels, good to hear. Love the Marines but I really love the little flowers. Perfect add for diversity. Good to see ya.  8)

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
Re: Looshkin's Everything Thread - Splintered Fang
« Reply #419 on: April 4, 2020, 10:42:29 AM »
Well...I hit a hobby wall.

I also had more 'life stuff' happen...essentiall y, Mrs L and I worked hard to rectify things and it all looked very good. Unfortunately, she struggles with anxiety a lot and there were too many doubts on her end, which led to sleepless nights and her health taking a hit. Long story short, we're friends and we get along pretty well. We're concentrating on being the best possible parents to Loosh Jr and that's what's important.

After that, I just couldn't focus for long enough on painting to get anything started, let alone finished. I guess the last thing I worked on was starting to paint the Splintered Fang Warcry band. After finishing most of the war band, I was left with 4 models basically unpainted and zero inspiration or drive to finish them.

I poured more time and effort into playing Magic: The Gathering with a group of mates and that led to more of my time and money being directed that way.

And then the end of the world happened. Thank goodness for a Pandemic to refocus you on the unimportant stuff in life. I mean, I spent the first several days getting the platinum trophy on Bioshock for the PS4 because you have to have some life goals...but eventually the lure of painting drew me back in. That and I needed something to do while binging Tiger King on Netflix!

So, without further ado, I finished up the Splintered Fang and here they are:

And yes, 40konline, I know this topic hasn't been posted in for 30 days. Cut me some slack with the warnings!

Thanks for dropping by fellas. Hopefully I won't leave it almost 11 months between updates next time...
« Last Edit: April 4, 2020, 10:47:55 AM by Looshkin »