News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: X-wing repaints  (Read 3729 times)

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
X-wing repaints
« on: June 8, 2015, 01:27:37 AM »
Just got into playing X-wing a couple of weeks ago.  With how long the game has been out, my LGS has only been able to carry stock since March, and my winnings from the recent 40k tournament gave me something to pick up the starter set and some expansions.

While I do enjoy the fact that the models are pre-painted, a part of me wasn't a huge fan of how every model people are playing looks identical.  After spending some time on the FFG forums and seeing some of the repaint jobs that were being done, I figured I would try it out on a TIE fighter.  That way, if I totally beslubber it up, it's on a model I don't use as often as my Interceptors.

Anyways, it actually turned out pretty well, looks quite a bit more sinister than the light grey hull, so here it is.

Finally, some comparison shots on how the model started, to the finished job:

« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 03:51:05 PM by Grand Master Lomandalis »
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Grizzlykin

• Run little eldar, run! ... And KILL THEM ALL !
  • Armies: Eldars, Tau, Necrons
Re: TIE Fighter from X-wing
« Reply #1 on: June 8, 2015, 06:38:27 AM »
hey man !  i don't play that game but it actually look really cool witht the red!  that's super nice coloring !
The Grizzly's Arvandor Craftworld!

Quote from: Cavalier
ALL HAIL THE TORNADO! The legend is REBORN.

Quote from: Alienscar
The forum member so nice that even when he is MIA he still gets two votes for being the nicest member

Offline Rx8Speed

« Reply #2 on: June 9, 2015, 05:30:10 PM »
Wow nice job!
It's hard to tell from the picture whether or not you put 'ard coat on the windows. But if you didn't I suggest doing it! It will look real good!

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2015, 06:31:34 PM »
hey man !  i don't play that game but it actually look really cool witht the red!  that's super nice coloring !
You should look into it.  It is a lot more simple to play than warhammer, the models come pre painted, and the initial investment is a lot cheaper.  I mean, for me to start Imperial and get up to 100pts (standard competitive level), it cost me less than $100.  I picked up the core set and the Imperial Aces which gave me 2 TIE Fighters (core set) and 2 TIE Interceptors (Aces).

Here are the rest of my ships painted up.  Granted, I didn't put as much effort into these as I do on my Warhammer stuff, mainly because there is no painting competitions at the tournaments.  So I just wanted something different to look at.

TIE Advanced / Vader:

TIE Interceptors:

TIE Fighters:

« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 09:35:38 PM by Grand Master Lomandalis »
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 3, 2016, 11:23:27 PM »
Made some recent purchases for my X-wing collection, and this is one paint job I have been wanting to do since I first got into the game.  I painted up a TIE Phantom, but instead of doing it as a standard paint job like the ships above, I wanted to paint it as if it were in the process of (de)cloaking.

I'm quite happy with how the effect turned out, even though I had to wrack my brain to try and remember how to paint stars beyond just doing white dots lol.

I knew I had fans!!!

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2016, 07:30:23 PM »
Check out the latest and greatest:

VT-49 Decimator

I knew I had fans!!!

• Global Moderator
Re: X-wing repaints
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2016, 04:01:41 PM »
95% complete Firespray (aka Boba Fett's ship).  The only thing I still want to do to it is paint the engine glow.

I knew I had fans!!!

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #7 on: February 5, 2016, 09:33:53 PM »
Very nice. Love the contrast and the look of the glass. The only ones I've done are on my scum models so far. My empire army has grown so much so haven't touched it yet. Keep them coming.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 5, 2016, 09:44:13 PM »
My empire army has grown so much so haven't touched it yet.

I hear you on that.  I have two First Order, an Interceptor, Punisher, and TIE Fighter primed and waiting for me to get the motivation to pick them up and paint.

The Punisher is the one I am dreading the most.
I knew I had fans!!!

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
« Reply #9 on: February 6, 2016, 08:31:23 AM »
Great stuff GML!  What paints did you use for the Firespray's cockpit?

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 6, 2016, 11:23:49 AM »
Tried to do it red to match the cockpits of the other ships, but that got really beslubbered up.  Then went with the blue.  The base colour is Dark Reaper, then it goes up to Altdorf Guard followed by just adding drops of white until it reaches the almost pure white level.
I knew I had fans!!!