News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: help against grey knights 1000  (Read 1546 times)

Offline Hive Fleet Bahamut

• I like to play with my food before I eat it!
help against grey knights 1000
« on: August 29, 2012, 01:27:07 PM »
So I have had about 4 games under 6th, two at 500 and two at 750.  My list had a Tervigon, two squads of termagants (one devourer the othe filler) and 3 Hive Guard.  I added in the Prime and Doom for the 750 list.  Loss/win/draw/win. Also got iron arm first game and endurance second.  Left catalyst alone for the last two.  Biomancy is awesome.

My question is this, my opponent will be changing all his strike squads to purifiers (ya for cleansing flame..) because even through all that psybolt shooting my bugs have managed to kick tail.  (Knights using champion, two strikes and interceptors, switching out all for crowe and purifiers.)My issue now is how to avoid combat further with my shooty nid list.  Doom got to 10 wounds for the first time in fourth game.

I have a devourer flyrant, genestealers (my prediction is bench warmers of this edition) and a Trygon.  With the rest of my army being at home in a different province.  I am open to suggestions on purchases too and he keeps his knights AV free.  All input appreciated.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 01:34:03 PM by Hive Fleet Bahamut »
Tyranid assimilation brought to you by the letters "Om nom"

Offline Locarno

• Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Could I interest you in a small bribe?
Re: help against grey knights 1000
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 01:09:37 AM »
If you plan on taking the Trygon, take it as a Trygon Prime. The extra dakka and shadow in the warp is a godsend against something like knights. Between that and the winged Tyrant.... dunno. Tempted to say the Tyrant as it'll be harder for him to attack or charge, and it packs more firepower (albeit at a cost of durability). Don't get cocky and go for vector strikes, as the odds are you'll be winged and grounded within charge range.

Depending on what he does, you may find his list actually gets shootier - the ability of purifiers to double up on heavy weapons shouldn't be overestimated. Now normally a million psycannons on foot could be worse - but you, of course, have to walk squarely into range to do anything. The key thing will be protecting the Doom. The achiles heel of purifiers is that they're still just space marines - but for anything up to twice the cost. This means that any firepower optimised to murderize space marines should in theory have a field day.

Oh - one suggestion; if he's going to be having few big, well-armed squads, consider a handful of spore mines. Nothing will irk him like having to waste multiple psycannons on a single spore mine.

Stories to read....
Songs of Earth
The Will to Survive Series

Tervigon Army List:
Games Played: 35
Termagants expended for the Hive Mind: ~2685

Offline Hive Fleet Bahamut

• I like to play with my food before I eat it!
« Reply #2 on: September 7, 2012, 12:42:05 PM »
I think the Flryant will get a chance, mostly because I have shelved him for most of 5th and the psychic powers and stronger shooting help support the list.  I might also dump the filler squad of gaunts and try crushing claws on tervigon.  You only lose 1 attack smashing, why not? 

My opponent has limited weapons as he only has what comes in the boxes. So there are a few hammers, around 5-6 psycannons and the odd incinerator.  The interceptors were a pain with that teleport flame, but now purifiers are coming.  At least mobility will be more in my favour with footsloggers.

Its the extra attack and cleansing flame that I think will make this hard to deal with, which is also another reason I think I will take the flyrant.  Can't be assaulted swooping, and I agree I think the distance will be key.

I almost want to drop the Guard because no AV, but they keep my threat range at storm bolter reach.  My luck though would end up in seeing a Dreanought come in, so they will stay.
Tyranid assimilation brought to you by the letters "Om nom"

Offline Khira'lyth

• Archon
  • I *LOVE* EO and 40K.ca
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 06:19:22 PM »
Hey

I tend to find that Hive Guard have uses even after the armor is gone... S8 is great for popping IC's, and in general causing a fair amount of wounds on a tough unit.
More synapse in general will help.  A) it gives you more synapse coverage.  B) Shadow > Cleansing flame.  Even Ld 10 fails half the time with it, and it gets really tough to cast powers below that.
I'm not 100% positive, but I think CF does a wound to each model in combat... meaning multi-wound models (which Nids have a plethora of) mostly get to ignore it.  I wouldn't suggest tailoring against GK specifically, but a lot of these are good in general, depending on what your list needs.
Also, adding in more of a shooty element to the army can balance it out more - kill the purifiers at range, and the ability is moot.

Khira'lyth