News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Rising Prices Effect or No  (Read 4935 times)

Offline Radec

• Armies: Chaos Daemons, Genestealer Cults (soon, yess soon)
Re: Rising Prices Effect or No
« Reply #20 on: March 4, 2015, 03:27:08 AM »
All that said, the cost is relatively high and getting higher, which makes is a slower game to build (or at least it seems that way).
This is absolutely true. Where I live, for the amount of money I spend on a tactical squad, for example, I could feed myself for an entire week (this includes the occasional not that expensive restaurant, everyday cafeteria food, coffee, a full fridge etc.). When taken as an absolute value the prices that GW demands are undoubtedly high, but that is also true for all parts of the Wargaming kingdom that I've been able to see. Model hobbies, as a rule, are expensive. For that reason I tried to insert in my post "compared to" as often as possible - I wanted to stress it was a range comparison between several systems and not an isolated observation on GW's prices. 

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #21 on: March 4, 2015, 08:54:48 AM »
A week?! Food must be cheap where you are, or Tac Squads must be CRAAZY expensive. Around here, a Tac Squad costs about as much as a dinner out with the wife at a cheap-ish restaurant.

What I often tell people is that a Warhammer hobby isn't all that expensive when you compare it to actual other hobbies and not games. Yeah, a board game is going to be much cheaper, but a board game isn't a "hobby." Compare it to fishing, golf, woodworking, or even model trains and the cost is much more reasonable.

Additionally, compare it to buying a cool board game or video game once or twice a month and, again, the price is quite comparable. 

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #22 on: March 4, 2015, 10:21:07 AM »
Price effects how many items I buy at once, but that's about it. I know the miniatures will last me a while, so I am happy to chew the price. I always trade or sell mini's years later if I don't want to play them.

I have disposable income, so it's not like I'm making decisions to buy plastic over eating..or anything like that.

I just love painting and modeling the things and that takes hours of my time. I'll spend hours building a squad of miniatures the way I want and then a week painting them up.

I find it's harder to justify buying videogames, as they don't last as long (for entertainment value).
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #23 on: March 4, 2015, 11:04:38 AM »
I find it's harder to justify buying videogames, as they don't last as long (for entertainment value).

100% agreed. Video games routinely last me 25-ish hours of enjoyment before they're basically tapped. Meanwhile, I've got a Hammerhead Tank I bought and painted up in 2005 (for about as much as a video game) and it still gets regular use. 

Offline Grizzlykin

• Run little eldar, run! ... And KILL THEM ALL !
  • Armies: Eldars, Tau, Necrons
« Reply #24 on: March 4, 2015, 01:49:17 PM »
Well may be because i'm a video game lover and i don't  have painting love but i do not agree with you on that one. I bought skyrim for 30€ a squad of scorpion is 33 i believe. And so far it lasted me 160 hours and i have yet to get bored :) i think it might be aswell because i don't  have a player base around me but well video game have there own good aswell so :/
cost wise as i buy really less games than i buy minis to me it is a less expensive hobby.
The Grizzly's Arvandor Craftworld!

Quote from: Cavalier
ALL HAIL THE TORNADO! The legend is REBORN.

Quote from: Alienscar
The forum member so nice that even when he is MIA he still gets two votes for being the nicest member

Offline Plague Tower of Nurgle

• Ork Boy
  • My troops are protected by "Nurgley Goodness"
    • Northeast Gamers Hub
« Reply #25 on: March 4, 2015, 05:08:39 PM »
I find GW and FW prices to be beyond the reasonable and acceptable price they should be. This has directly influenced me to drastically cut the amount of models i purchase, if i purchase any at all.

There was even a period when i was trading anything NIB that i could part with to cover the cost of models i wanted. When i look at new models now i ask myself "Do i really need this?" before i even think of clicking the buy button.

The increased prices have forced me to chase the best discount online which i really do not mind. I have completely stopped buying FW and i have easily have $1500-$2000 invested in FW models. If i buy FW i have to absolutely need it for an army, even then i shop around among the various Chinese recasters to see who has the best quality at the best price.

Yes, i buy from China. I refuse to give FW my money when i pay more for a product that consistently arrives damaged or miscast, for the price of FW models they could have some better QA and better packaging. I should not have to call them up immediately after receiving a $600 order with a list of parts that need to be replaced because they are broken, damaged or poorly cast, i get vastly superior casts at a fraction of the cost from China.

Also FW have completely dropped their conversion kits for models requiring GW models as a base, i do not want to pay full price in pounds for a model i might already have NIB. I also do not like that ordering from the US gets me ripped off EVERY TIME I ORDER WITH FW. The EU pay VAT, i just get a more expensive model and that extra money goes straight into GW's pocket( even when buying FW models on US soil at Games Day you are overcharged in the US).

I will give GW credit that on new kits, the higher price is justifiable. They have been doing an amazing job of producing highly detailed and in many instances kits with multipurpose. I do have a problem with them constantly raising prices on models that have not changed in over a decade. There is NO reason for the huge price difference in a Chaos Land raider from when i bought my very first in '03 for $45 to the $76 that it is currently listed as.

I could see a slight increase over the years but $31 is too much. I worked for a short time at a distributor for a major industrial manufacturer and we were lucky to have a price increase every 2-3 years, and that was even with dealing with machined metals and alloys.
legion of sickness
lord of misery
after my death I rise in immortality
unleashing the horror my words are infected
feast on my rot
I am resurrected

resurrection of the rotten
resurrection of the dead

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2015, 07:28:40 AM »
I'm one of about 3 or 4 active players at my local game store atm. I see new players going with the alternate games. You get all of the hobby aspects, fun game play but much less coin, it is a no brainer for newbies. With GW being played less often in store, there is less interest. It doesn't take a genius to figure out where its heading.

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2015, 10:32:38 PM »
Rising prices have had an effect on me. I've bought GW product since the early nineties, starting with the 4th Edition WHFB box set with High Elves, and Gobbos. It also came with Eltharion on Griffon, and Grom the Paunch [RIP] in cardboard form. :)

So, a little over 20 years of funnelling my festivities money into GW's purse. It wasn't always a lot. I had a lot of different interests, some of which tasted great going down and terrible coming back up. *shrug*

7th edition is financially breaking my will to keep paying. I mean, the quick turn-around on the core rules, codices, sub-codices [full price] allies requiring more codices... Campaign Expansions that provide the rules I feel I need to play Blood Angels effectively... I mean, if I were inclined to purchase the slew of books that I need to staple together a list in order to field a list that isn't beaten like a baby seal, well, I could buy all the models for that list. Hmmm... buy paper that'll be a paperweight in 2 years, or buy models I can play with for 20 years? Hmm...

I can say that I've seen prices easily double in my time. I can also say that the value of the minis has never diminished, in my mind. I played a certain Tragical Card Game that sucked hundreds of dollars out of me, and are now worth nothing, really. I have video games that I no longer play, and sold off for a sliver of what they were purchased for.

When the edition changes, or the codex is updated, I'll use my Guardsmen again. I don't have as much fun with them right now as I used to, but that's fine as I'm trying to make Blood Angels work [Red Marines are still a consideration, at this point] so I'm still having fun with them. If models were cheaper, I'd buy more of them. It's hard to lay out $60 a box when you've got the Canadian dream going. You know, two kids, wife, house, beaver pelt business, the whole 9 metres.

I don't mind buying a rulebook every 4 years... so after a year or so of 7th I bought Deathstorm that came with the Rulebook. I don't mind buying a codex for my factions, but I expect that codex to provide me a complete army. Not have chunks spread across 4 or more publications so that I need to keep shelling out for rules. That burns me as a customer. Shield of Baal: Exterminatus contains 1/3 of a books worth of rules, spread across 3 factions. So roughly 1/9 of a book worth of rules. The BA codex couldn't be 5 pages thicker to accommodate? Makes me mad as a customer, so I'm not buying.

I still like the models. I'm looking forward to picking up some used Pods, because they're stupidly expensive for Deep Strike rules. Many things DS without needing a model to represent it. We can't just say that Pods are designed to break apart after landing? Sigh. I'm looking forward to buying some used Bikes, because DV had a bunch in it and I figure people are probably parting ways with them. If these models were cheaper, I'd buy them at GW like I used to. Even now, there's a place about an hour away that sells 40k at 20% off of GW's prices, everyday. I bought the Deathstorm box there for $120, instead of $150. It was cheaper after taxes [$135] than it was pre-tax at GW.

My lack of... bound... books has led me to not play my BA at my local GW. Since I don't want to play my Guard there, I've been playing at my friend's houses. Since I'm not playing at GW, I'm not feeling an urge to financially support them. I've gone from hardcore legitimate gamer, supporting GW's enforcement of their copyright, to a peg-leg-hook-hand extraordinaire in the course of a few months. I used to pay full pop for my models and books, because I felt they were worth it. The price for books has gone so far off the deep end it makes me ill. The price for models has, as of the last few months, led me to seek used models for the first time in 20 years of collecting. I've hit my financial break-point. I no longer directly financially support GW, only the off-shoots, and stores that offer deep discounts.

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2015, 07:25:21 AM »
I know I've already posted in this thread but man it seems I'm really in the minority. I rarely feel the need to buy new models... my core army has stood strong since 4th edition. I probably add a new unit or two every 3-4 months and it just rarely feels I NEED anything. Maybe I just planned things out really well and when I feel the need to change up my list I've got a 4-5 alternate units ready to go.

Also since I kitbash/counts-as most of my units I usually have half a squad sitting around and a ton of bits sitting around waiting to be merged into a new unit. In that regard I'm more than happy to buy from GW/FW because I usually have around 10,000 left over bits. Great examples are the FW Corsair kit which I use to make my Dire Avengers. All those fusion guns, shuriken cannons, and eldar missile launchers I've been setting aside are just waiting to be funneled into counts-as Corsair Fire Dragons, Death Jesters, and Dark Reapers. The same can be said for the Dark Eldar kits which give you so many dang bits you'll never run out of extras.

The cost is worth it to me. They give so many extra bits and whatnot its almost ridiculous. I know this'll make most people puke but White Dwarf weekly has been awesome too. I'm so glad I'm collecting them because you can run all the new units without even buying the Codex. They've got full rules for most of the units and all the war gear rules and points costs. Not to mention all the ridiculously cool formations.

I'm pretty happy with GW right now. They've done everything I've wanted in the past 2 years: pick up the pace of releases, release rules for more obscure armies, include all options in-box for new units, campaigns which satisfy hardcore gamers with all the formations, but satisfy fluffy players with cool stories and structured play that circumvents the normal protocol of pick-up play. They may not be 100% where people want them but they've come a long way as far as I'm concerned.   

Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2015, 09:28:05 AM »
I still feel I get value for my dollar (though the price bumps are exorbitant), but I don't have a lot of time for the hobby of late and the pace of codex/book releases is making it hard for me to keep up. For my gaming group, it's nearly killed them, since they are of the (foolish) opinion that somebody should get to buy one army and keep that same army forever and ever.

I love where the game is going, I just wish I had more people to play with.

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2015, 09:52:49 AM »
I love where the game is going, I just wish I had more people to play with.

That's exactly my sentiment.  :P

Even though the prices have risen, I feel like you're definitely getting better value, since kits these days have all the unit options included and usually have a tonne of spare parts left over.  And that's with a substantial increase in the quality too.

And I do like where GW is heading.  They're starting to explore the whole universe they created, and bringing back all the good stuff from the rogue trader days.