News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 2000 point list for a game tomorrow  (Read 1150 times)

Offline m3talh3llth

• Ork Boy
  • Lando was a narc!
2000 point list for a game tomorrow
« on: April 20, 2011, 09:40:04 AM »
Hi everyone!

So with the release of dark eldar, I kind of let my I.G. fall to the wayside. Well I challenged the manager at the local GW to a game tomorrow (against dark angels i think) and decided it would be fun to dust off Straken and friends. Anyway, here is the list, any comments or critiques would be appreciated:

HQ: Straken, 3x melta, medic, chimera
       Priest, Eviscerator
       Lord Commissar, PW, Carapace
Elite:  Stormtrooper Squad (5) 2x melta
          Stormtrooper Squad (5) 2x melta
Troops: Vet Squad, 3x melta, demo, shotguns, fist, chimera
             PCS, 4x melta, Bolt Pistol, Fist, Chimera
             -2 squads, commissar, 3x PW, 2x flamer
             -2 squads, commissar, 3x PW, 2x flamer
             PCS, 4x flamer, Bolt Pistol, PW
             -2 squads, commissar, 3x PW, 2x grenade launcher
FA: Banewolf, Hull Multi Melta, smoke, seachlight
Heavy: LRBT, hull HB
            LRBT, hull HB

Basic tactics are to stay mobile and overwelm him with superior numbers (and lots of melta  ;D ) and the just finish it off with 60 or so furious charging guardsmen 20 of which will have re-rolls from the priest, all leadership 10 and stubborn. Banewolf and Russes will make all his power armor cry and my stormies are my oh-amphetamine parrot-theres-a-landraider button
I don't know much about his list, and am really only looking to have a fun match, but winning would be nice. He has quite a few termies, so I wouldn't be surprised to see quite a few of them. I was thinking of maybe finding room for some plasma, but the only place it would really fit is the vet squad, and I don't want to change them (i have them modeled all shnazzy like)
Nothing to lose, everything to gain

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
Re: 2000 point list for a game tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 04:01:35 PM »
It's a small thing, but I think I'd suggest making 2 squads of 30, which would save you the points of a Commissar, which you could apply to triple AC's for the GL unit. You may need to sit back to hold an objective, and they'd be a pretty good option.

I believe that would leave you with enough points to put a single LC on one of the LRBT's, which I like, or you could trade one up to a Demolisher, if you're worried about Termies. :)

Offline m3talh3llth

• Ork Boy
  • Lando was a narc!
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 06:09:17 PM »
I originally had 2 30 man squads, but I like the versililty of having 3 20 man squads, and if need be, I can still blob them up to 40 and 20. I also have quite a few commissar models that don't get much use, so the more the better lol.

As for the Demolisher, I really like it, but I don't have the model.

I was thinking of trying to find a ride for the flamer PCS but I really don't know what else to drop.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok so i figured it might be a good idea to list the models i have left:

LR Executioner with Hull HF and sponson PlasCan
another chimera
another bane wolf with hull MultiMelta (that I have to finish building)
10 or so regular guardsmen
2 10 man grenadier vet squads with plas
various sergents/bodyguards (no more with power weapons though...maybe a few plas pistols)
about 6 or so stormies with hot shots and 2 with plasma
marbo
3 counts as ratlings
2 vendettas (quite a bit broken which is why i would prefer not to use them)
one scout sentinel that can be armed anyway
One of each advisor
3 auto cannons
3 lascannons
3 missile launchers
1 heavy bolter

I think thats it, i don't really mind proxying infantry, but I would like to stay away from proxying vehicles too much

Edited to put in all my remaining models

« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 06:17:27 PM by m3talh3llth »

Offline TheShirtlessMan

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 02:31:19 AM »
Nice list so far, Straken is king with power blobs, they take one of our most resilient and cost-effective units, and make them more awesome, and you don't throw them into the meat grinder, they ARE the meat grinder :D 

A couple of things I see, it seems like you could use an Astropath to get those stormies in as quick as possible to create more targets while you are charging right at them.

If you switched out the banewolf for a Vendetta(I know you said they are busted but they are just really good) then you would have similar antitank. Anytime you can twin-link anything in IG, I jump on it. And then you could put that footslogging flamer squad in the vendetta, and bam you have a scoring, 12"move-and-drop-and-flame counter assault unit, or if anything deepstrikes, roast 'em! Or turbo-boosting objective contester, I think it would be much more versatile than the banewolf. Also, the Vendetta comes with a searchlight standard, so you can scout within 12", move 6" shoot everything, then they're lit up bright as day for the rest of your army, this worked out great for me vs. DE in a DoW game.

So good luck in your game, which I guess you already played, but w/e.

How bout some feedback on the effectiveness of your list?
Page 51 of the IG codex. The Imperial Guard have recorded a confirmed kill ratio of 99,999:1.........what you got?

Offline m3talh3llth

• Ork Boy
  • Lando was a narc!
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2011, 04:56:12 PM »
Nice list so far, Straken is king with power blobs, they take one of our most resilient and cost-effective units, and make them more awesome, and you don't throw them into the meat grinder, they ARE the meat grinder :D 

I can't agree with you more, Straken has almost never done me wrong, i once charged strakens squad (straken 3 meltas, medic, 2 bodyguards, lc w/ pw, priest with eviscerator) into a unit of Khorne berzerkers led by Kharn and had killed them to a man before i got to roll for my eviscerator  ;D

A couple of things I see, it seems like you could use an Astropath to get those stormies in as quick as possible to create more targets while you are charging right at them.

If I were more dependent on the stormies I would, but this list isn't all that reserve heavy so I think the points are better spent elsewhere. If i were to get an advisor i think it would probably be the OoF just because he is almost always useful.

If you switched out the banewolf for a Vendetta(I know you said they are busted but they are just really good) then you would have similar antitank. Anytime you can twin-link anything in IG, I jump on it. And then you could put that footslogging flamer squad in the vendetta, and bam you have a scoring, 12"move-and-drop-and-flame counter assault unit, or if anything deepstrikes, roast 'em! Or turbo-boosting objective contester, I think it would be much more versatile than the banewolf. Also, the Vendetta comes with a searchlight standard, so you can scout within 12", move 6" shoot everything, then they're lit up bright as day for the rest of your army, this worked out great for me vs. DE in a DoW game.

Originally the list had 2 vendettas, and the banewolf, but I just didn't have the time to get them in working order for the game. Basically what I did was just swap the vendettas for the stormies in the list that i posted. I also tend to think the banewolf meshes rather well with this list by adding to the chimera screen for the infantry

So good luck in your game, which I guess you already played, but w/e.

How bout some feedback on the effectiveness of your list?

The game went exceptionally well, in the end I dopped a few upgrades and swapped the PCS meltas for Plasma, which ended up being a bad idea. Turn 2, 2 killed themsleves, turn 3 the other 2 killed themselves, and turn 4 the commander iced himself  :-[

His list was basically a termie spam with some dreads, whirlwinds, a landraider and belial, i won the roll and gave him first turn, which promptly bit me in the ass when his first whirlwind shot exploded strakens chimera. the ensuing explosion then managed to kill off another dozen or so guardsmen.  :o

To make a long story short, i tabled him (with the exception of a dread with no weapons and a weaponless drop pod) by turn 5. I think I just caught him a bit off guard. I don't think he realized how capable guardsmen led by straken are when given the order to afix bayonettes and charge haha

MVP was straken hands down a thousand times over. his entire squad was killed before he made it into combat, however when he did make it, it was devestating. He charged straight at Belial shoved a bionic fist down his throat, while a full 20 man squad and the survivors of another squad charged in with the LC and Priest to kill 6 termies (wiped a full 5 man squad and killed the last guy from another squad)  before they could strike back. Furiously Charged Power Blobs Of Doom TM are amazing

LVP believe it or not were the Leman Russes, they caused zero wounds the whole game. That was due mainly to bad scatter rolls on my part, and the fact that he brought zero power armor...

...which brings me to the banewolf. Having no optimal targets, first turn i moved it flat out into the open, rather near 2 squads of termies, and popped smoke. He of course took the bait and charged straight at it after failing to hurt it with shooting. Hitting on 6s only alowed a few hits, but it was enough. The explosion took out 1 termie and left the rest standing dumbfounded with no cover and a amphetamine parrot ton of guns pointed at them.  ;) Wiped one squad, and killed 4 out of 5 of the other.

Anyway, it was all in all a fun game for both of us, but due to a few poor decisions on his part mixed with some terrible rolling, the game ended rather one sidedly.