News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: My WIP Snow and Glacier Table Top  (Read 1908 times)

Offline Master Bio-Titan BT

• Armies: Chaos Marines and Tyranids
My WIP Snow and Glacier Table Top
« on: April 12, 2010, 10:28:52 PM »
So after some research, internet browsing, tips, and suggestions I have made my Snow/Glacier tabletop that is nearing completion.  It didn't take long at all and was quite simple.  For now I will post pictures as my time is limited and will write up narrative and steps a little bit later.

Supplies: 

1" High Density Foam board for your table size
1 and 2" High Density Foam board for terrain pieces
Wire Foam Cutter
White Glue
White and light blue paint
Woodlands Scenic Snow Flock or equivalent
Imagination

The old table

The new table top

The glacier pieces prior to paint and snow

A pic of highlighted and snow flocked pieces

Completed glacier tier

Same glacier piece with a flash to help show detail

The terrain pieces shown above are 2" foam and I plan to make some 1" foam terrain pieces, I just don't have any more and there isn't any blue foam available in my area.  Thanks to my Father for bringing me the foam sheets from Maryland to Virginia!
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 07:33:24 PM by Master Titan BT »

2008 CSM Poster of the Year

My CSM Conversions & Tutorials (Updated 12-22-12) 

My Tyranid Conversions & Tutorials  (Updated 12-23-12)

Offline Marlec

• "The Post Reader"
Re: My WIP Snow and Glacier Table Top
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 12:40:44 AM »
How does the snow flakes came out? the picts doesn't give a good feeling on it...

Did you just highlighted in white the glaciers thickness or did you blend some blue in?

If you have or find other high density foamboards, you could make some pieces has if the ground cracked and ice plates were pushed above other ice plates.. you know, like in the arctic sea (it thinkit's called fast ice in english (banquise in french), not icebergs since they look more like young mountain formation (geological).

In that way you'll had diversity on your board... A small communication outpost would look great also... check for photos of arctic research stations (north pole & Antarctica)

Marlec

Offline Guildmage Aech

• FLAMER: Ego Bigger than his Common Sense Centre | 40KO's Care Bear of Spite | Dolphin Death Dealer | 40K Oracle
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 08:38:09 AM »
One easy way to make research labs is to us peices of gutter, (as in for your house). The research labs on
this board at my club where made using that technique! Add some detail parts from your bits box and they can look pretty good.
Rules Expert 2007 | Kijayle Commemorative Award for Acid Wit 2008 | Most Notoriously Valuable Rules Expert 2009 | Most Notorious 2014

Offline Master Bio-Titan BT

• Armies: Chaos Marines and Tyranids
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 12:08:36 PM »
How does the snow flakes came out? the picts doesn't give a good feeling on it...

Take another look at the last pic with the flash.  Notice how the tops of the glaciers look shiny and dull.  The dull parts are the Woodlands Scenic snow flock.  Doesn't look too bad on the pic but certainly better in person.  I have been quite busy with my newborn son (currently 3 weeks old on this post) and haven't been able to get to the craft/hobby store for some sealant.  I do plan to build up some of the snow to appear like snow drift and gradual hills.  Really what you see above is just glacier pieces, and as is above really isn't what I intend to game with as there is absolutely zero cover saves for my Tyranids unless hidden behind the glacier pieces.  When time allows I will make more pieces, hopefully this weekend. :-\

Did you just highlighted in white the glaciers thickness or did you blend some blue in?

The dense foam already had a nice natural glacier blue color and with the wire cutter heating it up it melted nicely.  If you melt through the foam slowly it darkens the blue.  I only highlighted with a white with a very light blue added to the mix and dry brushed the sides of the glaciers.  The tops received a bit more blue that was streaked/blended across the top to give the illusion/appearance of the glacier melt direction.

Unfortunately, Home Depot and Lowes in my area only have pink foam so I cannot get my hands on any 1" foam and the 1" foam that I do have is of a green tint (which is treated with an anti-mold/bacteria agent.) 

Future terrain piece(s) project(s):

Forests
Hills
Snow banks/drifts
Ice sheets (cracked and broken)
Cities of Death buildings
Iceburgs busting through the board
Tyranid Spore cysts/chimneys/columns as if Tyranids have taken over the planet.  Fluff wise and IIRC, the Titan Moon is the home of Daemonhunters or is it Space wolfes?  Anywho, the Tyranids will be taking over that planet!

2008 CSM Poster of the Year

My CSM Conversions & Tutorials (Updated 12-22-12) 

My Tyranid Conversions & Tutorials  (Updated 12-23-12)

Offline Marlec

• "The Post Reader"
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 11:48:29 PM »
well, hope you and your wife will be able to make time for yourselves and by yourselves...
I have a 5 years old little girl, a 2 years old little boy and an too often sick/tired girlfriend...well, there's some people in the world that some things are harder for them.. and she's one of them. but I would never let her down... that's a too easy way...

So I just lined up my projects since the last 5 years...

What will be fun with your little fellow is when you'll brought him to the hobby... my little girl likes to paint old 2nd ed orks and "helped" when I started my latest Eldar Storm Squad and Wave Serpent... which were started last fall when my doctor putted me on a 4 month rest from work for burnout...

never underestimate your kid, regardless of his age and don't be afraid to talk and explain things to him (about everything)... he'll develop faster mentally than other kids that stay in there park/crib...

So I'm about to "cash in" on my investment and I intend on having the kids to "help" me...

I'll be following your work (your table) it's looking good so far and always curious on what & how people do things...

cheers!

Marlec