News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Snow, Ice, Arctic terrain!?  (Read 6310 times)

Offline Master Bio-Titan BT

• Armies: Chaos Marines and Tyranids
Snow, Ice, Arctic terrain!?
« on: April 10, 2010, 11:13:55 AM »
For the life in me I cannot find anything on how to make the subject listed above!  I have searched here in this forum and via google and cannot find anything of good quality or what I am looking for.  The only thing that I find often are snow terrain using sheets of white felt which I refuse to do.  I want to use polystyrene foam to make the ice/arctic terrain.

Any suggestions?

Does anyone know of any webpages of terrain tutorials etc etc?

Thanks!

2008 CSM Poster of the Year

My CSM Conversions & Tutorials (Updated 12-22-12) 

My Tyranid Conversions & Tutorials  (Updated 12-23-12)

Offline khaine

• This happens when I am bored.
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Truly Dread
Re: Snow, Ice, Arctic terrain!?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 11:47:24 AM »
First thing that springs to mind is the Woodland Scenic snow shaker, basicly it's white flock...

http://www.antenocitisworkshop.com/gbu0-catshow/watersnow.html Sadly out of stock there at the moment.

I guess it depends a lot on how snowy you want it. Light drifts in a tundra type enviroment? Full blown polar caps? Either way the 'white flock' will probably be a good bet but the type of terrain with it will really provide a more definate 'location'.

There's no stopping what can't be stopped, no killing what can't be killed

You can't see the eyes of the demon until him come calling.

This is dread man, truly dread.

"Childhood is when you idolize Batman. Adulthood is when you realize that the Joker makes more sense."

Offline Marlec

• "The Post Reader"
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010, 11:48:06 PM »
What comes to mind is maybe going the same way then a desert theme, that's textured paint, followed by basecoat in mixes of light grays and white, drybrushed in white...

Textured paint can be replaced by fine graded sand in the basecoat mix or applied with PVA/water mix before basecoat...

I don't think I would go for Woodland's snow flakes on an whole board... I think you still would need to apply white diluted paint over it or "Workable fixatif" from Krylon or other kind of varnish spray... otherwise the flakes will fall off, like grass flock...

Keep me informed on your finds/choices/paths taken...

Marlec

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 10:35:44 PM »
I think you still would need to apply white diluted paint over it or "Workable fixatif" from Krylon or other kind of varnish spray... otherwise the flakes will fall off, like grass flock...

Do you think they Krylon spray would yellow over time?

Would I achieve a sealing affect if I dilute white glue and spray over it with a spray bottle?

Offline Jack Straw From Wichita

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 10:47:30 PM »
I saw an article where a guy used some baking soda to make really nice looking snow for bases.  I know he mixed a lil light blue in with it to keep it from turning yellow.  Found it here it is.  http://www.dysartes.com/model/modelling/snowbase.php

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 12:12:23 PM »
I saw an article where a guy used some baking soda to make really nice looking snow for bases.  I know he mixed a lil light blue in with it to keep it from turning yellow.  Found it here it is.  http://www.dysartes.com/model/modelling/snowbase.php

Yep, I have that site in my Favorites folder.  I have not gone that route as I have heard that baking soda turns yellow over time.

I do have progress on my glacier terrain.  I have been taking photos of the progress and I will post them in a new thread.  I have been using the Woodland scenic snow and it actually looks pretty good, its powder like and not like their grass at all.  I just wonder how I can seal it in.  I am afraid to spray diluted white glue not wanting it to turn yellow over time.  I am thinking of using a semi-gloss sealant to help make the glaciers parts shine just a bit like real glaciers.  I will post photos later, it looks really good!

Offline moc065

• Infinity Circuit / Necrontyr Lord / KoN Warlord
  • Ancient
  • King of the Preemptive Strike
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 02:03:02 PM »
Lots of paints discolor over time... I usedKrylon Fusion flat white to sprat my artic bases etc... then some GW snow effect mixed with pva to build snow (layered it) followed by a tough of the GW snow effect sprikled over the top of the glued area to keep it fluffy...

Its not perfection; but its easy, fast, and its lasted for some time now.

I hope that helps

Cheers

Join POC: Saim-Hann
or Read the Guide to Eldar
or read the Guide to Necrons

And Click here if you like Magic The Gathering

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2010, 04:33:43 PM »
Thanks Moc for the tips and photos.  I was going to do the sides of my bases white but seeing that you used grey I think I will adopt that.  Since its my bugs and there are a lot of them I will probably use different shades of grey, white, and blue for the bases sides/edges.

Thanks again and I will keep my eyes open to futher suggestions!

Offline khaine

• This happens when I am bored.
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Truly Dread
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2010, 06:06:40 PM »
Another option for snow texture is baking soda... Oddly there doesn't seem to be much out there for snow terrain, could be down to the effort of having to keep it clean...

Anyway baking soda (And an intresting ice from wax idea...):

http://www.terragenesis.co.uk/competitions/entry.php?id=201

There's no stopping what can't be stopped, no killing what can't be killed

You can't see the eyes of the demon until him come calling.

This is dread man, truly dread.

"Childhood is when you idolize Batman. Adulthood is when you realize that the Joker makes more sense."

Offline Marlec

• "The Post Reader"
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2010, 12:22:40 AM »
@Master Titan BT
Sorry for the delay... I work for an architect firm, and in the early 2000s (just before the easy computer made presentation drawings) we used the add color to drawings using pastels, then fix it in place with "Workable fixatif" from Krylon... I needed to find some old work and yes the parts not covered by color went yellow. the colors are ok, but since it's for making snow (whites) I wouldn't recommend it. But it be ok for grasses & sands...

I've seen that your table is done... going to check it now...

Marlec