News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: New Player need help with 750/1000/1850pt list  (Read 1860 times)

Offline emmetkt

• Newest
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
New Player need help with 750/1000/1850pt list
« on: October 10, 2014, 07:00:49 AM »
Okay so I usually play Tau. I recently bought a whole host of IG on ebay without really knowing anything about the army. I just went with what was cheap and what I thought looked cool.

I'm going to be playing a few games over the weekend and I'd like to try out my IG.

I have an idea about how commands/orders work but I think if I could get 3 lists written out I could just focus on learning the stats & tactics for those models over the next day or so.

I usually play against Dark Angels, Nids & eldar so I want to build a fairly all round 1850pt list from what I have, then using the models in that list to create a 1000 & 750pt list.

As it stands I have the following...

80 x infantry
2 x command squads
9 x heavy weapons (i can proxy these to have what ever weapons it doesnt matter)
3 x chimera
1 x hydra
2 x valkyries/vendettas
3 x basilisk
6 x scouts
6 x leman russ
1 x baneblade
1 x hellhound
4 x psykers
2 x commisars
2 x 5man ratlings
creed & kell

I'd like an army that plays somewhat differently to my Tau but I'm finding it hard to get my head around IG.

Any ideas on a good starting point for a 1850pt army out of the models I have?

Thanks.

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
Re: New Player need help with 750/1000/1850pt list
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2014, 03:46:24 PM »
It would be a bit easier for us if you threw up an 1850 point list you're thinking of using and then we can give you advice on that. Making lists for people isn't usually that helpful, I've found.

In general terms, veterans in Chimeras are still very popular and pretty effective, Leman Russ are cheap heavy firepower, and Valkyries and Vendettas are still pretty strong (though the Vendetta is pretty expensive to field these days). That said, there are a ton of different, viable lists you can make out of that pile of stuff. Fool around for a while and come back with something you think looks fun, then we can talk.

Offline Dangerousdave0042

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
  • Armies: Imperial Guard, Blood Angels and Tyranids
Re: New Player need help with 750/1000/1850pt list
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2014, 12:59:19 AM »
You have pretty solid base there to play around with.

However, IG is usually a shooty army just like tau so you may be a bit disappointed in that aspect.

You can do an IG assault army, but it would probably be based around Bullgryns and colonel straken with plenty of commisars in there to make sure it doesn't run.
Just because you can, doesn't mean that you should.