News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Custodian Guard next!  (Read 6604 times)

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
Custodian Guard next!
« on: January 5, 2018, 06:09:47 PM »
I've seen a leak of the new custodian guard plastic terminators. Looks like they'll be announced tomorrow. I am terribly excited!
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
Re: Custodian Guard next!
« Reply #1 on: January 5, 2018, 06:23:30 PM »
That's a terrific surprise. I thought that there was an outside chance of the Custodes getting an expanded roster at some stage, but I figured it would be a bit of kit here and there, maybe an upgrade sprue and a couple of characters. To get whole new units is helluva cool.
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #2 on: January 5, 2018, 09:13:09 PM »
Plastic...

Custodian...

TERMINATORS?!?!?!?!

Damn it, man!  I need to change my pants now!

Edit:  Having seen the leaked image... yeah... I'm good for, like, a week now lol
« Last Edit: January 6, 2018, 12:45:31 AM by Grand Master Lomandalis »
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
« Reply #3 on: January 6, 2018, 08:02:31 AM »
New Year, New Armies and More: Reveals from the New Year?s Open Day - Warhammer

Oh yes. Plastic jetbikes. This is the best news ever. And here I was thinking I finished my custodes army.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #4 on: January 6, 2018, 01:46:07 PM »
Oh yes. Plastic jetbikes. This is the best news ever. And here I was thinking I finished my custodes army.

I think you may be out of luck there:

Finally, if you’ve already got a sizeable collection of  Forge World Legio Custodes, rules are on their way for you to use your favourite units in Warhammer 40,000, in addition to the huge range of new plastic kits.

Sounds to me that there will be new plastic kits available (Such as the Terminators), while existing FW units just get 40k rules.

It doesn't explicitly say they won't get plastic replacements though.

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 6, 2018, 09:43:34 PM »
I don't know about that.  In previous previews, they have never done a video showcasing FW units.  So I think it is safe to say that what we saw is the units that will be available from the codex.

Edit:  I was on the 40k Facebook page, and they have confirmed there that the bikes are plastic.  So definitely not forgeworld.

After a few days of lead-up, we now have our answer to what GW's big announcement for is Codex: Adeptus Custodes.

Honestly I'm a little let-down by this. Yay, more Space Marines...?  I mean, the models look nice, and I may grab some as a secondary detachment for another Imperial army. But I was really hoping they'd at least try to get the rest of the Imperial/Xenos/Chaos books out before adding yet more new factions. How about Adeptus Sororitas ever?  Or how about Orks and Tau?

What does everyone else think? Excited for the Gold-is-the-New-Black space marines?
Adeptus Custodes are not Space Marines.  Yeah, they are Imperium, but their play style is so vastly different from any of the Space Marine chapters.  And with the units they are adding, it's hard to say how their play style will change.  I mean, right now they most closely resemble Deathwing, and they aren't even close to how they play.  The only current simularities are that the Custodes have Contemptor Dreadnoughts and Land Raiders.

But this is not a release of a new faction.  This is expanding a current faction to actually make it viable.  The custodes were given a codex / minidex at the end of 7th edition, which made them a legitimate faction.  As it stands right now, there is absolutely no way to play a pure Custodes army simply because they have no HQ choices.

As someone who regularly fields a majority-custodes army, I am definitely excited about this!  I am mainly excited to see the inevitable point drops!
« Last Edit: January 6, 2018, 11:58:50 PM by Grand Master Lomandalis »
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #6 on: January 7, 2018, 05:47:45 AM »
I don't know about that.  In previous previews, they have never done a video showcasing FW units.  So I think it is safe to say that what we saw is the units that will be available from the codex.

Edit:  I was on the 40k Facebook page, and they have confirmed there that the bikes are plastic.  So definitely not forgeworld.

Great news GML! It's brilliant that you get to flesh out your army a little more affordably now!

I expect things like the Jetbikes to receive a bit of attention from a lot of other faction players too, as I'm sure skilled people will be able to convert them to other factions bikers for a far more unique army.

• Ancient
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2018, 11:37:55 AM »
First teaser is out. Looks freaking great so far. That character's relic is so good!

Adeptus Custodes Preview - Part 1: The Heroes - Warhammer Community
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

• Ancient
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2018, 12:13:25 PM »
Adeptus Custodes Preview - Part 2: The Troops - Warhammer Community]
[url=https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/01/16/adeptus-custodes-preview-part-2-troopsgw-homepage-post-2/]Adeptus Custodes Preview - Part 2: The Troops - Warhammer Community
[/url]

New teaser for the adeptus custodes.

Troops are looking fairly solid. Taking the vexillia and shield captains out of the squads as characters is also interesting.

Curious to see the bikes.
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2018, 12:00:05 PM »
Here's your jet bikes and what not.
Adeptus Custodes Preview Part 3: War Machines – Warhammer Community

Networked machine spirits sounds like it could be used for particular advantage.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

• Ancient
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2018, 02:42:06 PM »
Landraiders mitigating all those armies with their fliers and -1 hit modifiers will be pretty great.
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline Blazinghand

• Warlock | Master of the Ravenwing
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Die for the Emperor or die trying!
  • Armies: Eldar, Orks
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2018, 03:17:01 PM »
Landraiders mitigating all those armies with their fliers and -1 hit modifiers will be pretty great.

Yeah, it's kinda been a weird meta recently where a lot of armies were either very shooty gunlines with auras, or armies with -1 to be hit modifiers which could fight those gunlines, or Dark Reaper Spam (because of Inescapable Accuracy). It's nice to see Land Raiders get something too, since they seem a little underused.
Quote from: Howard Zinn
There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2018, 04:57:54 PM »
How about those bikes as a counter charge unit?
I knew I had fans!!!

• Ancient
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2018, 06:41:51 PM »
How about those bikes as a counter charge unit?

Planes are going to get beslubbered up by those bikes!
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline TheEldarGuy

• Infinity Circuit
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2018, 08:32:47 PM »
The Custodes people (also known as Gold Marines) look like they have their own Shining Spears, and I'm betting they'll be cheaper and harder hitting.

Now they've gone and given away one of our best units!!

• Ancient
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2018, 08:38:39 PM »
The Custodes people (also known as Gold Marines) look like they have their own Shining Spears, and I'm betting they'll be cheaper and harder hitting.

Space marines don't have shinning spears. The Custodian Guard have jetbikes. They are not the same.

It's been in the fluff for a long time, and they've had jetbike Horus heresy kits for years.

Also, considering a standard custodian guard is around 60pts, I highly doubt their jetbikes will be cheaper than the eldar ones. Unlesa shinning spears are 150pts each.

Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2018, 12:46:28 AM »

Space marines don't have shinning spears. The Custodian Guard have jetbikes. They are not the same.
This.

The biggest erroneous complaint I have seen online about the release of Codex: Adeptus Custodes was that it was "more Space Marines."

The Custodes are not Space Marines.  The only way they are even close to Space Marines is that they are elite Imperial units of genetically engineered bad asses.  In the fluff, they are not Space Marines; and in terms of game performance, they are not Space Marines.  My favourite quote regarding Custodes (which may or may not be a real quote, but works none-the-less) is that "Custodes are to Astartes, as Astartes are to mortal men."

As for them being cheaper or hitting harder than Shining Spears?  As long as the base stats for the Custodes don't change, they will hit harder simply because they have more attacks.  But cheaper?  Not a chance.  The basic foot Custodes out of the Index costs 52pts with his Guardian Spear, or 54pts with sword and board.  You honestly think that a model that will, most likely, have T6 and W4 will be cheaper than a Shining Spear?

It's ok to be intimidated by the new release, but the sky isn't falling yet.  This is going to be an army that will have a very difficult time cracking 20 models at 2000pts.  Just keep that in mind.
I knew I had fans!!!

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2018, 05:24:03 AM »
Topic merged to Custodian Guard thread, as this seems like a better place to discuss Custodian Guard units.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2018, 12:18:24 PM »
Here come the big lads.
Adeptus Custodes Preview Part 4: The Elites - Warhammer Community

Inescapable vengeance. Ouch.  :)
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline TheEldarGuy

• Infinity Circuit
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2018, 05:09:02 PM »
Are these guys the 8th Ed Grey Knights (now that Grey Knights are Silver marines)?

OK, the minimum Shining Spear Squad with Exarch and Star LAnce is under 100pts, but the base stat line of an Eldar Shining Spear Jetbike is (shall we call it) PEQ.

These new Marines (not a Marine), have jetbikes, move almost as fast (what's an inch or two between friends), hit harder, more resilient, and they're Marines (still not Marines).

Release them as an army, fine, but do it AFTER the T'au, Orks, and/or Necrons. The last thing we need are more Marines (still not a Marines).