News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1500 mixed army advice  (Read 401 times)

Offline Mr. Dashington

1500 mixed army advice
« on: December 11, 2009, 11:48:56 AM »
145: Farseer – Runes of Warding, Spirit Stone, Doom, Fortune
140: Autarch - Eldar Jetbike, Laser Lance, Fusion Gun, Mandiblasters

96: 6 Fire Dragons
165: 8 Striking Scorpions - Exarch w. Scorpion's Claw, Biting Blade, Stalk

128:10 Guardians - w. Scatter Laser, Warlock - Embolden, Singing Spear
128:10 Guardians - w. Scatter Laser, Warlock - Embolden, Singing Spear
292: Dire Avengers Exarch with Power Weapon and Shimmershield, Defend
+Wave Serpent: Twin-Linked Eldar Missile Launchers, Twin-Linked Shruiken Catapults, Spirit Stone

222: 5 Shining Spears - Exarch w. Withdraw, Skilled Riders
180: Falcon - Eldar Missile Launcher, Holo-Field, Spirit

Give advice and karma gives advice to YOU! 
signed, Mr.Dashington

Offline Tèarion

• Be quick or be dead.
Re: 1500 mixed army advice
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2009, 12:53:32 PM »
HQ: looks god

Elite: I don't think you need/can put both the biting blade and the claw on the exarch, I would drop the blade.

Troops:

I am no fan of walking guardians, but if you like them.... go ahead.
What do you want to achieve with the shimmer and defend? I feel bladestorm on WS mounted Avengers is better.

Fast:

Never used Spears so I can not really comment on them. I think they are to expensive for what the can do, but I don't know.

Just my opinion.....

Offline Preedy1978

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009, 01:13:20 PM »
Well, you asked for comments, so I'll give them!

The Fire Dragons seem to be riding along in the falcon, so I'll say this now- this is a bad idea. They really do need their very own Wave Serpent, as falcons are best used for long ranged AT, and last minute objective contesting/nabbing set up as DAVU. Serpents aren't as vulnerable to Melta-fire, being the most primary reason, plus also if you field a Falcon, you really want it to be firing that Pulse Laser, not transporting troops most of the game. (DAVU being an exception).

If the Scorpions are footslogging, as it looks like, with this list, then bring the Dire Avengers out on foot- use their abilities to act as a pinning unit- and then have the scorps as a counter-charge supporting unit for them. Then you can place the Dragons into the Wave serpent. It's your call with the weapons on the Serpent, but for moving Dragons about, then you don't really need the EML's. having said that, if this is a "throw away" kamikaze squad, then it's not too bad an option, as likely you'll have no dragons left to stop the Tank using it's weaponry fully.

Now Shining Spears are jetbikes on steroids, basically, and geared more for CC. Now the Spears seem to have the Autarch accompanying them. This is fine of itself, don't be suprised if that Fusion gun pops any tanks you where planning to charge before you get into CC.  On the whole though, this unit looks rather isolated, unless of course, you have a plan to support them. I still worry for them though, as they're clear "stand out" targets. Reserving them sounds like an option, with the Autarch, but they'll still leave a large footprint.

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2009, 02:12:40 PM »
I broadly agree with Preedy, but I have a slight different twist to his advice.

I suggest dropping the Autarch and Shining Spears, which are not really necessary in my view, since this would free up a significant chunk of points, which would then allow you to field the Dire Avengers on foot as was suggested above, but three Wave Serpents and drop the Falcon.

Two of the Wave Serpents could contain scoring units, such as tri-template Storm Guardians and/or shooting oriented Dire Avengers, meaning you could equip them with Brightlances if you wanted to for some additional anti-tank, while the latter would carry the Fire Dragons, and take a cheap weapon, such as the Shuriken Cannon, in order to make it a bit less of a fire magnet.

All the other unit choices look good, but I am a bit worried that your infantry lacks something to absorb bullets.  You could think about taking the Avatar as a second HQ, or if you only field two Wave Serpents, you could consider adding two Wraithlords, each armed with an EML and Brightlance, to give you some additional durability and anti-tank.

I hope that helps.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente